Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Disc Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
source.png

Image Source: https://bhvr-ec-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2kdm1e18tk83c/source.png
Intent: To make an anti force user weapon
Development Thread: Getting a Lanvrok on Yavin V
Part 2 Using it here posts 2,8,17,41,48,60
Manufacturer: House Thul Estates
Model: Thul Disc Cannon
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: none yet, but cortosis round may be in the future
Production: Minor
Material: Dura steel, electromagnets and compressed air components
Classification: Railgun Slugthrower
Size: held in both hands
Length: 1.5 Meters
Weight: 20 Kilograms
Ammunition Type: 30mm explosive discs 1 Meter Radius (see description)
Ammunition Capacity: 12
Effective Range: 50 Meters and 300 meters if mounted
Rate of Fire: Semi-Auto
Special Features:
  • Side and Top Mounted Rails
  • Recoil Dampening System
  • HUD interlinked targeting system
Description: The Disc Cannon is a modern and updated version of a Lanvarok, though rather than using crude firing system it uses a combination of electromagnets and compressed air. The compressed air loads the disc, and gives it's initial push, and helps it spin a great speed. As it passed through each of the electromagnetic components, it pics up more speed.

The main disc while force users can tell it coming and tell where it's coming from, can not tell as much once it has bounced similar to the weapon that it was designed from. The main disc will if hit by lightsaber it would explode, and react similar to a frag grenade, this makes blocking the second shot impossible to block, it would also pepper the area with shrapnel. This because their is a TNT is in the discs core of the disc, and lightsaber would ignite it. Also due to sheer speed of the disc, and short range, it can not just be forced pushed away, though it would change it's angle of attack.

After the disc has bounced, the core will begin to become unstable. Then it is only a matter of time before time before the it explodes, into fragments.

upon contact with an opponent, it will do one of few things.
1: bounce of due to supper heavy armour, though they would still feel the impact
2: medium armour, it would still bounce of but cause a major dent in it, and doing damage to area effected.
3: force help them if they wore light armour and it hit's

Though the weapon as many strength especially against force users, it does have a few draw backs. The first of these is it is a heavy weapon, so the man who has to use it will be slower than other infantry. The next is the reloading sequence, it is not just a case of swapping magazines, you also need to exchange the air loading system and cooling, as well as a power pack that generates the extreme speed of the disc. It also inadvisable to use to use when your own troops are close to the enemy, as it just as likely to kill them as your enemy.

Primary Source: Lanvarok

<p>RESEARCH REVIEW<br />-----<br />Star Wars Canon:<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />Starwars Chaos:<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />WITHOUT DEV THREADS<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />WITH DEV THREADS<br />Pending Initial review<br />------<br />SUGGESTIONS<br />Pending Inital review</p>

[member="Elaine Thul"]

Well, I love this. Clever, fun concept, great way to update ancient canon, tons of sensible limits. I'm a little leery on the range - I get that you're saying that's how far it can shoot, but in the role you've envisioned, and with the weird aerodynamics involved, I doubt this would be accurate that far. I'll get back to you on that. Probably going to consult [member="Rusty"] in Skype and see what he says.

[member="Jorus Merrill"] I copied the range from other railguns, that I found. Though if you feel that needs an edit no worries.

I am also planning on making a closer range version of this later.

[member="Elaine Thul"]

OK, some edits to make:

Discs fly differently than normal projectiles. Considering this weapon is 45lbs and normally fired from the hip, you're probably going to have a maximum effective/accurate range of around 300m from a fixed emplacement, and a maximum effective/accurate range of maybe 50m fired from the hip. The mass drivers you cited from were probably sniper rifles.

Thermite doesn't do what you want it to do, so I'd replace that with something that does what you want it to do. I'd guess you're gonna have to do some research for that.

It's been brought to my attention that this is a straight-up copy of a shuriken cannon from Warhammer, right down to the nitty-gritty. If you could discuss that influence in your Primary Sources field and tell me how this differs from a straight rip of that weapon, that'd be ideal.

[member="Jorus Merrill"] edited and the main differences are the following
1: shrunken catapult was armour piecing weapon, if I remember correctly str 4 means -1 to armour roll. This does not piercing armour it bounces
2: shrunken catapult was never long range, it was always average ranged weapon, (though know this is short range)
3: shrunken never exploded, or bounced, or used any type aoe
4: The weapon was a lot lighter, and a standard weapon, this heavy and not main stay weapon

I used the pic as it seemed the most appropriate image, after working out what I wanted.
If need though I am happy to search for another image

[member="Elaine Thul"]

Mmkay.

Elaine Thul said:
it would explode, and react similar to a frag grenade.
Do you mean that each exploding disc is comparable to a grenade in strength? Are you shooting disc-shaped grenades?

Elaine Thul said:
as well as a power pack that generates the extreme range of the weapon.
Since you've edited the range, this can be tweaked.

[member="Elaine Thul"]
OK, I think you're going to have to make some choices here. Your discs are about an inch and a half across, you carry twelve of them, and you expect them to blow up with the full force of a grenade. Something's gotta give.

[member="Elaine Thul"]

Well, I could nitpick, but it's not that kind of day. When it comes to actual combat function, this isn't too far off from a big particle beam or half a dozen other things. Just be aware that anything from a Force shield to Deflex to stormtrooper armor is probable going to tank this just fine, like with most physical weapons. Oh, sure, they'll go flying, but yeah.

Anyways, this is pending approval. Serious weaknesses, moderate strengths. It's in a form unconducive to abuse, and in the end that's what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom