Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Shadow

The young girl had been away from Ziost for a while now. There she had been picked up by a man that ended up being her brother, taken to Voss and then they separated. She had run off with Rann and with her love of droids, it had driven a schism between them. So here she was on New Plympto all alone and attempting to get more droids to fill her life.

EL was her ever present companion along with Skeeter, her porg. The little bird sat on silently on her shoulder and EL walked by her side. How she got to this location wasn't as important as what she was here for.

Having heard of the various items this facility created and even run across some of them in her travels, Aren knew she needed to come here personally. She felt no qualms at pilfering from others, they could afford the loss a single person might do.

Scouting out the compound before her attempt, she waited until most of the organics had left for the day. Making an approach in the early evening, she took out her bag of tools to slice into the grid along a portion of the fence. Such a simple task for her now, AL stood guard and watched her back.

The schedule of the droids was followed like clockwork and Aren was able to avoid detection of them. If any did approach, she just reached out to their little cyber-minds and they forgot they had seen her. Any cameras turned away as she approached as she touched them. So far everything was going like she planned.

She made it through the fence and cautiously approached what appeared to be one of the back buildings. Here the droids and other mechanical items were kept. The ones that were waiting to be purchased.

EL tapped Aren on the shoulder and spoke to her.

"If your information is accurate, the organics have all gone home. Why then do we have two men pointing guns at us?"

Aren had been so focused on getting in, she had not anticipated guards walking around or hear their approach. Letting out a sigh, she turned to face them.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

With the work day finished the native workers had all gone home, and Errreembuhr settled in for another night working on his more personal projects. There were quite a few he'd been working on, ships and weapons alike. Some for private buyers, some for little governments here and then of course those for his company's private use. It was one night like pretty much all of the others.

Which is why it took him by surprise when a red light began to blink on the facility's private communications module. He reached over to press the activation button, opening the channel with Talus.

"Sir, our security staff has discovered an anomaly in the grid along sector E-2 of the topside barrier," the droid stated. "Several of our visual security feeds in the area are also malfunctioning, though we cannot identify the reason."

Intrigued, Errreembuhr grunted before asking, "What anomaly? How are the cameras malfunctioning?"

"We are unsure of the exact nature of the disturbance with the barrier, however it appears something did pass through. As for the cameras they are not completing their full rotations, though only certain ones appear affected. Cameras 3, 4, and 7."

Three, four, and seven. The exterior droid storage?

"Give me a moment, Talus, I'll go to you. In the meantime deploy scout drones and guard droids in pairs to search the area."

"Understood, sir."

-------------------​
Search Team 2, composed of two Wyyyschokk-series droids, had been deployed along with a few others to the area, unsure of what they would be looking for, or even if anything would be there.

"This is a waste of time," WS-383 said as they began their patrol, scanning the area along the fence. "It's probably just a Forager looking for roots. We had three of those breath the fence in the last four months."

"I thought Foragers were located only near the wooded areas?" asked WS-992, his droid voice almost confused. "I've never seen one near the compound."

"You're still new, 992. You'll learn."

It was then that the droid's sensors picked up something just off to the side, near a storage facility used for some of their kind that needed replacement parts, but couldn't be stored inside the facility itself. Both droids went quiet at the same time, scanning the building for life signs before finding exactly what they were looking for.

Search Team 2 reporting in. An intruder has been spotted in the sector. How shall we proceed, Command?

Search Team 2 this is Command, approach the intruder and capture but hold fire unless attacked. Bring them in to holding and have them wait there for the commander.

Understood Command, will report after initial contact.

With their blaster carbines drawn, WS-383 and WS-992 of Search Team 2 approached what they observed to be the intruder and another droid with her. They switched to vocal comms just as the intruder's droid made their presence known.

"If your information is accurate, the organics have all gone home. Why then do we have two men pointing guns at us?"

"Halt there. You are trespassing on private property. Please come with us or we will be required to use force."

[member="Aren D'Shade"]

In the dark, EL thought the two forms approaching were organic which would prove to be difficult for Aren to manipulate. However, when they got close enough to the four of them, since Skeeter and Sam were with her. Either perched on her shoulder or within ear shot. The little spider droid had wandered off, but she knew he was close.

Turning when the two droids confronted them, Aren thought about elbowing EL at her mistaken identification, but chose not to. Reaching out with her skill with droids, she realized these two were far more complex than those she had run into before. It appeared they were dual programmed and beyond what Aren would be able to override at this stage.

The fact was, she still didn't know she could use the Force or that the skill she had with working with electronics was actually that. It was something as natural to her as breathing and she had done it all her life. Both with the help of physical tools that she had in her bag and with the Force. Her brother had helped unlock that potential, but with their separation, it had not progressed beyond that.

Attempting to manipulate the droid on the right to potentially turn on the other one so they could make their escape, Aren had the feeling it was going to be a failure. She needed more knowledge and control on her Force ability.

They had halted though when ordered and neither EL or Aren made a move for their blasters. Letting out a sigh, she just looked at the droids in a quick surrender.

"Lead on."

Of course, her tampering attempts would continue in the hopes her target did decide to turn on the other droid.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

Thanks to the more complex wiring and programming present in the EB-S brains that made the WS droids tick, they were at least somewhat resistant to the technique, though not perfectly. The trip into the facility was stopped at several points by WS-992 halting, an error noticed quickly by WS-383, who called for backup at the second disturbance.

By the third instance, however, it had become more than noticeable. The droid stalled, turning to face 383, weapon held low as its joints creaked with every slight movement upward. 383, suspecting some sort of malfunction, turned towards [member="Aren D'Shade"] and her droid. With his weapon raised the battle droid hoped to prevent any sort of escape should they take advantage of the disturbance.

WS-383 to Command, requesting status update on backup. Also requesting that WS-992 be remanded to the maintenance facility for a diagnostic after observing several potential malfunctions in movement.

WS-383 this is Command, backup is en route with an ETA of 8 seconds. Recommendation for a diagnostic of WS-992 will be granted and investigated further.

It wasn't as long before the backup arrived, four more droids of the same model, replacing the evidently malfunctioning 992. Without further trouble on the way to the security complex, the pair were turned over to Talus and Errreembuhr.

------​
The Wookiee looked over the woman and her droid, noting specifically some design similarities between the droid and his WS droids, though he couldn't quite pinpoint it. These were the two that managed to penetrate his facility, and he needed to know why.

"What's your name?" he asked after switching his translator on. "And what were you planning to gain from this little excursion?"

Even though her attempts were as a whole a failure, Aren had noticed the were partially a success. The one droid she had been focusing on stopped and studdered a few times as her influence started to take sway. When it happened the third time and they halted completely, she thought about trying to run. Noticing the apparent droid in charge had his gun pointed in their direction, she changed her mind.

After a handful of seconds four more droids showed up and Aren gave up on her attempts to sway that droid. She was pleased with her progress though and would have to see if she could get her hands on another droid of a similar make to work on.

They were lead into the main facility and not the building she had been headed to originally. Here she was quite impressed with what was around them. Trinkets, gadgets, weapons, droids...all sorts of mechanical goods. If there was a heaven, this is what it would be for the girl. As they progressed the group was taken to an office and dropped off.

Here she stared a furred creature that seemed twice the size the was and he looked at her and her group of companions. After what felt like forever under his gaze, he broke the silence. Demanding her name and what she was going to gain from her break in. It would likely be clear from her expression she expected to get torn from to limb to limb and not have a conversation. Surprised at the growls and then the conversation from the interpreter, she looked between the two of them. Taking a gulp and breath, Aren was silent, but not in a rebellious manner. More she was gathering her courage.

Dealing with droids weren't an issue for her. Organics on the other hand were sometimes difficult. Being faced with a giant, furred creature wasn't helping matters. After a few heartbeats, she did speak.

"Aren D'Shade and friends."

With a deft motion, she pointed to EL and gave her name along with Skeeter and Sam.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

She looked young, and she looked scared. It wasn't an unfamiliar sight to the Wookiee, especially when meeting one who'd been caught doing something they weren't supposed to be. This [member="Aren D'Shade"] had likely heard the rumors about Wookiees being able to pull a typical human's arms out of their sockets, and all sorts of other horrifying things. Errreembuhr, of course, had no intentions of doing anything of the sort.

He took a few steps her way, allowing the translation software to do the work for him. "My name is Errreembuhr. You may call me Ember if you'd like, it's easier for most humans." The droid caught his attention, as he noticed some design similarities to his own projects. "This is my facility, where my company develops and produces droids, weapons, and ships. I can see why you would think it would be a good target for theft. After all it seems like you're already using some of my droids."

Sam is where his attention is diverted, the small spider droid that is unmistakably an E-SM that came from his own assembly lines. "This little one here is a familiar sight. Perhaps the success with this one led you to want one of my other products?"

Letting out a sigh when he stepped away from her, Aren did not fully relax yet though. He introduced himself, told her to call him Ember and that was met with a slight nod of her head. Still not fully able to speak, she just listened to what he had to say. She had known this was where the items were created, but was surprised to learn he was the wookiee​ behind the creations.

"There have been more before and after him."

Not quite meeting his eyes, she looked more in the area of his chest. EL was at her side, Skeeter stayed put on her shoulder and Sam crawled up into her arms.

"He's been great! You're not going to take them away from me are you?"

A sound of concern came into her voice at the thought of losing her companions. EL especially was like family to the girl. While she did have a biological brother, the droids were with her all the time.

"I came to take more and add to my family, Ember."

[member="Errreembuhr"]

The Wookiee shook his head, eyes moving from the spider droid to EL. "I won't be taking them from you, no. For all I know this one was purchased on your own, and this one," he says, pausing as he looks to EL, "was as well. Or perhaps made? It doesn't look like any model I'm aware of, though I must say there are some similarities to my WS droids."

He looked back to her, a stern expression on his face. "But I won't allow you to take more unless you've paid for them. I must ask, how did you get in? My exterior barrier and cameras cover much of the area. Did you slice into them somehow?"

[member="Aren D'Shade"]

When Ember said he would not be taking them from her, there was clear sign of her relaxing. Certainly she was still nervous and he seemed really curious about her companions. With a hand motion, she pointed at EL.

"I pieced her together from the parts of other droids and repaired her. Her name is EL. That one I named Sam and found him on a ship. Since then he's been with me."

It didn't explain why the little droid had left the ship to join up with her, but that might become clearer after she answered the question he posed her. Looking around the room a moment, Aren saw a little droid that just needed a few finishing touches, some paint. Nothing that would prevent it from running fine if it didn't have it.

"Not slice exactly, but close. Watch."

With one of her hands, ​she made a few subtle movements and focused on that little droid. The lights came on and he moved up into the air.

"Cameras are simple to work with. The gate needed me to actually use some tools on to get into."

[member="Errreembuhr"]

The young woman's ability took him by surprise. It was a newer model of one of his droids, one that had recently been finished with repairs, but not yet activated. And yet she was able to activate it without any datapad, or physical interaction.

"That is... certainly interesting, Miss [member="Aren D'Shade"] . I can't say I've ever seen an ability like that. What exactly is it?"

Shaking her head for a moment, Aren was wordless on how to provide an answer to Ember. She could tell him what she could do, but not what it was called.

"I have no name for it. All I know is I understand the mechanics of droids. How they work, what they do and make them do something else. Normally..."

Not quite meeting his eyes, she was a little embaressed at her failed attempt on the droids that caught them. She didn't say a word further about that mishap. When that droid was examined nothing wrong would be found with him.

"Some are more complex than others and harder to work with. Sam is simple and EL I put together myself."

[member="Errreembuhr"]

"I see," he replied after she explained, a thought immediately coming to him. "Is this something you can do with all droids? Are there some that you're unable to do this sort of thing with?"

It was clear that there was some sort of Force interference at work here. Just exactly what it was he couldn't say, however, nor could he even think of a way to counter it. But perhaps if she were to show him some more, perhaps if he could do some studying of her technique, whatever it was, he might be able to think of something. Some way to shield his designs from such an effect.

Of course everything came at a cost. But Errreembuhr always believed that costs, for security, were always necessary and worth paying.

[member="Aren D'Shade"]

He growled at her, but this time it was far calmer than it had been before. As the translator droid spoke for him, she understood.

Not quite yet feeling confident enough to entirely meet Ember's gaze, Aren looked around the room. Her eyes didn't stay long enough on any one object or location to really gain much information from it. More it was a way to allow her a few moments to put her thoughts into words. When an answer did form, she did look back at the wookiee and meet that gaze of his.

"Well, I'm still learning about it, but all droids. Haven't come across one yet that could entirely resist whatever it is I do."

Shaking her head slightly, the words left her as she would attempt again to explain so he might understand.

"When I look at droids, I just know how they work. It's not just droids though, anything mechanical. From holodevices, starships to droids."

[member="Errreembuhr"]

The girl's admission was one that intrigued him. Perhaps there was a way to put it to use.

"Is this something you're able to do at will, or only in certain situations?" he asked, taking a few steps towards her with his heavy arms folded across his chest. "And how does it affect your abilities with slicing? For the better, I'd assume?"

With a look to one of the WS droids standing watch, Errreembuhr cocked his head, motioning for the droid to step forward. As it approached, he looked back to [member="Aren D'Shade"] with a wary expression as the droid knelt. "Can you show me how it works with this droid?"

Looking at Ember with a touch a wariness still, Aren did not step back when he walked closer to her. He had yet to get threatening to her so just because he was large and growly that didn't mean he was going to tear her apart.

"I can do this any time. Well as long as there is something electronic to work with."

Nodding her head as he a​nswered his own question, "yes, it makes slicing easier too. I still need my tools sometimes though."

Clutching at her bag​, that was where she kept her tools for slicing and working on electronics.

"I can try. Not sure how to show though. What do you want me to do?"

Looking at the WS droid, she could tell it was of the same model as those that caught her and EL outside. It was more complex than what she was used to working with, but would attempt to accomplish something with it.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

"I suppose just a simple effort at controlling it will do," he replied, noting her clutched her bag. Perhaps there was some trick to it he could copy for later on. "It's mostly just for me to see how it works at least in a short sense."

The WS droid was one of the more complex models he'd made, and this sort of thing would be excellent for developing new countermeasures or perhaps even technology to copy it.

[member="Aren D'Shade"]

Provided this unit behaved in the same manner as the one outside, Aren shouldn't have much difficulty controlling it partially. She still didn't think full control was an option yet. She looked at the droid and used a few small finger gestures at it. Not making it go too much against its programming, she didn't speak verbally at all through her procedure.

Not saying anything verbally, she made a few small gestures with her fingers. Unable to fully override the droid in a short time, its arm raised as if it was waving at them and then dropped back to its side.

"Given more time, I'm pretty sure I can do more."

[member="Errreembuhr"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom