Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Departure

Sebastian Thel

S
a7EMQOH.png
The hiss of the hangar doors as they steadily opened did not distract Sebastian from the model star ship he moved around in the air above his head. His senses welcomed the metallic smell of steel soaked in fuel which permeated the hangar. Laying behind a little corner in a den sprawled with designs of every craft possible, Bast jolted at the thud of boots.

"Thel, freighter coming in, you're up." The voice of Ruka, his manager sounded from the doorway of the little hole and alerted to him what he already knew. Blinking twice and staring at her with a mouth half open, Bast turned away to look at the wall without facing her directly in the eye.

With a shrug, the woman walked away and left Sebastian to prepare his things for the new customer. Placing his ship model carefully down on a bench, he held his hat as he grabbed his toolkit and ducked beneath the edge of the low door frame. The freighter sat in the hangar just as surely as he had heard it arrive and he saw Ruka chatting to the captain, a fierce looking Nikto who passed Sebastian a squinted glance.

"The hyperdrive's dead, climb in there and see if you can patch it up." Ruka said as he she brushed one of her lekku over her shoulders.

The air within the spaceport was chilly, causing Bast to shiver beneath his pea coat as he walked past the captain. Carrying his toolkit, he turned up the landing ramp and headed for the ladder leading to the core of the ship. He slung the kit around his shoulder and climbed down the ladder, which lead him into the core of the ship.

Down into a labyrinth of gears and terminals, Sebastian climbed below the engineering bridge and jumped on the deck. He ran a hand across a beeping terminal and tried to locate the hyperdrive, which he saw under the main console controlling the thrusters. Crouching down, he unwrapped his toolkit and removed his coat, which he lay aside on the ground.

Squeezing beneath the console, his hat fell onto the deck and he brushed it aside as he took a look at the shielding. The captain was lucky he had made it in time to the spaceport. The surface of the relativistic shielding had been eaten away by some kind of leak. Just as Sebastian pulled himself out from beneath the board, he heard footsteps approach from up ahead.

He hadn't even begun repairs yet, so the captain coming to check on him didn't make much sense. Perhaps Ruka had come to tell him something, he thought. Either way, the ship wasn't making any hyperspace jumps any time soon.

[member="Kat'Lariah Syphex"]

Kat'Lariah Syphex

Don't. Even. Think about it.
The scarlet-haired woman strolled through the hangar without a hint of uncertainty. When people said "walk around like you own the place and no one will notice you" they usually meant it. Spaceports were the prime example, no one gave a chit to begin with. And that was how the woman had walked onto the YT-950 Light Freighter. No one gave her a second glance.

Well, that was until she took the first step onto the vessel's loading ramp, and the ship's captain decided she really wasn't a member of the crew. The Smuggler didn't wait to hear what the man was shouting at her as she spun around, whipping out her revolver to aim it at the man. Bang. Her shot flew right over the man's head forcing him to duck. Hey, she was a smuggler, not a murderer.

Kat span back around and bolted into the freighter's cargo hold, punching the bay door's control panel, loading ramp and doors beginning to lift shut. Her boots clanged against the grates of the freighter as the woman sprinted to the cockpit, hoping no crew members had remained on the ship. Thankfully, her luck held out, as she flung herself into the pilot's chair, not a single crew member stepping out of some nook or cranny to stop her. Cracking her knuckles, the woman smiled, pleased with herself as she started up the engines. "Hey there sweetheart, you sure are beautiful."

[member="Sebastian Thel"]

Sebastian Thel

S
Making nothing of the noise he had heard, Sebastian turned back around to face the terminal and set about to locate the leak which had eaten away the relativistic shielding covering the hyperdrive. He opened the compartment adjoining to the terminal, where he found a mass of loose wires which appeared to have overheated and perished. A corrosive substance leaked from the sockets, which seemed to have seeped into onto the hyperdrive shielding.

Cupping his chin in thought, Bast analyzed the problem and formed several possible solutions. He turned off the power generator and carefully removed the wires, along with the sockets which were leaking fluid. Pulling his goggles over his eyes, he retrieved a power unit and plugged in his soldering iron, the smell of burning metal filling the small compartment. He fused the perished holes on the wires and crimped them in place, before cleaning the sockets with a rag.

A shot rang out from outside the star ship, muted by the thick walls and the gentle hiss of the soldering iron. Sebastian barely heard the sound, only turning his head once to look, before continuing to replace the sockets. With some spare parts handy in his toolkit, he fastened the sockets in place before plugging in the newly repaired wires, before moving around to the front of the terminal to the hyperdrive.

As he walked, Bast jolted in his stride with the motion of the hull moving through space, alerting him to the fact that somebody was flying the ship. He froze in shock and darted for the ladder, leaving his tools on the ground as he climbed onto the bridge. He walked through the short corridor and looked at the pilot's seat, where a young woman, who did not look like the captain at all, was flying the ship through realspace.

"You're stealing the ship!" A blatantly obvious remark, with no thought applied to the choice of words. Gripping his hair as he watched the woman fly away, Bast began to panic as he realized he had no control over the situation. With no combat training or piloting skills, he had no means of removing her from the captain's chair and directing the ship back to the space port. That said, the hyperdrive was still broken.

"The hyperdrive is karked." With a glare of contempt, he eyes the woman down, who must have been around his age and revealed the truth behind the situation. "This ship isn't going anywhere until I fix it." He stated in a defiant tone as he stood in the doorway, his soft brown eyes piercing the cheeks of the woman in the pilot's chair.

Kat'Lariah Syphex

The Smuggler spun around quickly at the sound of a voice she certainly hadn't been expecting to see what looked like a greasy engineer in shock at the fact that, yes, she was stealing a ship. Turning back around, the woman figured the noodley-looking boy probably wasn't going to do much. "No chit inquisitor, shut up and sit your ass down before I shove you in an airlock and space you."
The sound of someone hailing the vessel echoed in the cockpit, and Kat slammed her fist down with a thud on the deny call button. Clearly the previous owner wasn't happy and had decided to try and call for the local authorities for some help. Wonderful...

"The hyperdrive is karked. This ship isn't going anywhere until I fix it." The words rang in Kat's ears and she slowly turned around to look him dead in the eye, "Then go fix it, blast it." she said slowly, enunciating slowly. "Because if they catch us. You can bet your ass I'm gonna convince them that I hired you to help me steal this ship. That you came onboard because you know all the ins and outs of these ship and could fix whatever problems the thing had...just like you're going to go do right karking now." The way the words left Kat's lips, one might've guess the woman was completely insane, but in her line of work, a little bit insanity was a necessity.

The hull shook as one of the police ship tailing them fired a shot that skimmed the hull. "Alternatively we can get shot down and blown die in the cold vacuum of space, up to you grease monkey!" the Smuggler shouted as she began to pull a hard left, corkscrewing to avoid some more incoming fire.

Sebastian Thel

S
Gripping the edge of the door frame, Sebastian brushed the rust and grease off his trousers as he looked downwards at the thief with a glare of defiance. When she demanded that he sit down and threatened to shove him through the airlock if he did not obey, Bast froze, shifting his eyes from one side of the ship to the other. A call echoed from the communications terminal, alerting both Sebastian and the woman stealing the ship to the authorities closing in on their tail.

"I'll fix the airlock shut before you throw me in there!" Sebastian waved a spanner in his hand as he threatened the woman. As he opened his mouth to retort a second time, she interrupted him with another threat, this time swearing to turn him over to the authorities for stealing the ship along with her.

Swallowing a gulp, Bast recoiled and pulled his hand away, fiddling with the spanner as he considered his options, not that he had very many. He had enough trouble with talking at the best of times. There was no way he could beat the smuggler's fast tongue in the event that she lied to the authorities about his involvement in the theft. He would simply have to do as she told him until the ship safely reached it's next destination. That was, unless they got blown to bits first.

Without the hyperdrive, they could not leave the system and Sebastian would be left to explain himself to Ruka about he allowed a customer's ship to be stolen. Taking a breath, he calculated every outcome and resorted to sprinting away, down the corridor. He reached the engineering deck and slid down the ladder, all the while cursing fate under his breath. With the spanner attached to his suspender, he jumped on the deck below and immediately darted to the terminal under which the hyperdrive was located.

"Motherkarker." Planting his hands on the floor, Bast cursed as he unfolded his toolkit and plugged a welding iron into the power unit. Thinking on his feet, he grabbed the leaking sockets which were presently wrapped in a rag and attempted to salvage the material in order to mend the relativistic shielding.

Sebastian pulled his goggles over his eyes and removed the plating from the hyperdrive, which he fused with the spare sockets he had removed from the terminal. The hiss of the welding instruments filled the deck as he filled the holes with the fresh metal he had salvaged from the sockets. The shielding which had been eaten away by rust was now stronger and more resistant to any substance which might be leaked. Smoothing out the metal, Bast placed the shielding aside to let it dry while he turned off the power unit.

Removing the goggles from his head and throwing them down with his coat, Bast picked up the shielding and carefully secured it back over the hyperdrive, smiling to himself as he enjoyed the new, glistening surface. He rolled his tools and slid back into his coat, then pulled his hat on his hand and slung the toolkit over his shoulder. He climbed up the ladder and met the woman on the bridge, where she was still seated in the pilot's chair.

"The hyperdrive is fixed, we can make the jump to light speed now." Leaning against the doorframe, he affirmed with a nod and listened nervously to any more signals from the authorities.

Kat'Lariah Syphex

The woman gritted her teeth as she made a hairpin turn, ending up behind one of the police vessels that had ventured too close. For a moment, it might've looked like the smuggler was about to become a cop-killer, ready to blast the vessel into space debris, and drag the poor engineer with her, but luckily for him, the woman instead gunned the engines, and flew just over the other vessel, close enough that the officer's would surely need a change a pants afterwards.

"Finally! Took you long enough!" she yelled as she hit the hyperdrive, stars suddenly streaming by as streaks of light as the freighter slipped away.

The smuggler stood up and stretch her lithe body, before turning around and stepping very close to the engineer, close enough that they were almost touching. Her eyes squinted slightly as she scrutinized the wiry man's face. "Hey, you're the one who fixed my party boat aren't you? Life support went down, zero gs?"

Sebastian Thel

S
Pulling off his goggles and letting them fall around his neck, Bast sighed with only slight relief as the hyperdrive kicked into gear and the ship made the jump to light speed. The police were left behind at the space port as stars surged past the viewport with the ship flying safely away. The kuati mechanic was not sure if he regretted his decision or not. Tapping a finger on his forehead, he calculated every possible risk surrounding the situation and solutions to counter any problems.

"Oh gee thanks a lot for fixing the hyperdrive, Sebastian!" With the line of his mouth fixed in stone, the sarcasm dripped off his monotonous tone as he stared at the wall.

When the smuggler stood up and walked closer to Sebastian, he recoiled as her arm brushed his own. Wincing in disgust as she almost touched him, he squirmed as she inspected his face. Suddenly, he thought back to the party and realized that the ship he had saved belonged to her.

"What?" Flustered, he blurted out, having not properly heard her words, only to shake his head and regain control over his thoughts. "Oh yeah that was me." A pause followed as Bast took a step backwards to regain some of his personal space. "Wait, that was your party boat?" He asked, scratching his head as he avoided the woman's gaze.

"My name is Sebastian, but I go by Bast or Bas." He ran a hand through his already disheveled hair as he introduced himself. "So tell me why you're stealing my customer's ship and what you plan to do with it." His tone suddenly became stern as he determined to get to bottom of the woman's actions.

Kat'Lariah Syphex

"Yeah that was my boat...gorram it, I guess I can't space you anymore, I still owe you for that one." the fiery-haired woman grumbled as she fell back into the pilot's seat, crossing her arms, face creased with frustration. "Kat'lariah. You can call me Kat." she said, introducing herself to the young man. "And I stole this ship 'cause your customer failed to pay me for the last job I did for him and his guys tried to toss me out of the window of the seventy fourth floor of a building. Trust me, stealing his ship is the least of what I could do...but I like this ship too much."

The woman turned back to the navigation console and appeared to be ignoring the man as she looked through a starchart until she spoke again, still mapping out a course. "Well grease monkey, I guess I'm stuck with you now...how do you feel about your next payday coming from a heist?"

Sebastian Thel

S
The woman moved away as she revealed that the ship Bas fixed had indeed belonged to her, for which she owed him. Not that the engineer ever felt that anybody particularly owed him, this woman had just made off with one of his customer's ships and threatened to throw him out of the airlock in the process. The line of his mouth turned upwards into a wry smile as she told him her name.

"If my customer didn't pay you, maybe I can make up for that." Shrugging, he sat down at the navcomputer and rested his foot against the edge of the console. Kat presented an offer which he considered, having needed his job at the spaceport to fund his new workshop. Resting his chin on his hand in thought, he nodded and set his foot on the ground.

"Deal. I could use the pay to help set up shop on Terminus." The engineer spoke assuredly. "Where is the heist going to be?" He asked as he prepared to calculate hyperspace coordinates. With his jacket still unbuttoned, Bas keyed in a route on the navcomputer while he waited for Kat to explain more details.

Kat'Lariah Syphex

Kat looked at the engineer with a look of surprise. She hadn't expected him to agree so quickly. The woman plugged in the co-ordinates of the planet. "Nal Hutta." she said, "I heard there's a large weapons cache being delivered to one of the many friendly gangs on the planet." She turned in her chair to look straight at him, "And we're gonna take them all. Lord knows some of the Coalition's planets needs arms. We can sell 'em cheap and the planets get some weapons to arm themselves. Win win...well except for the gangs, but kark them."

Sebastian Thel

S
When Sebastian agreed to assist Kat in the heist, the look on her face told him that she was surprised. She had spared his life when she could have easily spaced him and made off with the ship. For that, he was grateful. Huddling under his bomber jacket, he charted the route to Nal Hutta on the navcomputer, while Kat made the jump to hyperspace. Stars soared past the viewport as the hull of the ship surged through the abyss of space and away to their next destination.

Maneuvering the route on the navcomputer, Bas muttered calculations to himself while he charted the angle of the ship's journey at a rapid pace. Once the course was set, he entered the coordinates and leaned backwards in his seat. He responded with a chuckle to Kat elaborating on the details of the heist. While Bas normally could not bring himself to steal, he cared little for the violent gangs of Nal Hutta and had no qualms about stealing from those who harmed others for greater purposes.

"Well I can break into any vaults and override the security system, but I'm gonna need you to cover me." Nodding in affirmation, Bas leaned backwards and placed his boot on the edge of the console. "Unless you feel like teaching me a thing or two about handling a blaster." Bas shrugged as he looked at the other side of the ship, avoiding contact with Kat's eyes. "Never learned, weapons aren't my thing." He admitted as he turned back around to look out of the viewport.

Kat'Lariah Syphex

"One, I'm not giving you a blaster. I don't trust you. Not because you don't seem like a swell guy, but because I don't want you to accidentally kill me while trying to shoot the other guy." Kat said pointedly as she got up and left the cockpit, "Second, get you feet off the blasted console!" she yelled from the hall, trying to find the kitchen for some food, "And lastly," she began to call as she opened one door after another eventually finding the kitchen, "we hopefully won't do any fighting, I like to do things quick, quiet, and clean ok?" the Smuggler poked her head into a pantry and let out an 'Aha!' of triumph as she found some bags of chips and other snacks tucked away in there. She grabbed those and two beer from the fridge and went back to the bridge, tossing the engineer one of the beers. "I'm a smuggler, not a soldier remember?"

Sebastian Thel

S
Shifting his eyes from one side of the ship to the other, Sebastian recoiled as the fierce woman spoke to him, her tone becoming stern. She was right enough however, giving him a blaster to use when he didn't know how to shoot was a disaster waiting to happen. As she walked past and barked at him, Bas jolted and immediately pulled his feet off the console.

"You're right enough, it's no good giving me a blaster if I can't shoot straight." Standing upright, Bas followed Kat out of the cockpit and into the kitchen. When she opened the pantry, he stuck his head inside and found a box of biscuits, which he grabbed and ripped open with a gleeful smile on his face. He checked the cupboards for a clean glass, and found only dirty cups. Washing one out, Bas poured himself a glass of water and dipped a biscuit in the surface, making it soggy in the process.

"That's how I like to do things anyway." With an affirming nod, the engineer munched away on a biscuit and set his glass of water on the counter. Hesitantly, he grabbed the beer Kat had handed him and opened the top. He sniffed the top of the bottle and took a small sip, then winced in disgust and set the bottle aside. "No alcohol for me, thanks, I just don't like the taste!" He shook his head as he washed the taste away with a gulp of water.

The ship surged through hyperspace and shortly arrived in the Nal Hutta system. A beep on the navcomputer alerted Sebastian and Kat to their arrival and the engineer left the box of biscuits on the table to walk into the cockpit. "That's our stop." Bas said as the ship left hyperspace. He walked into the cockpit and looked through the viewport, preparing to enter the atmosphere with Kat.

Kat'Lariah Syphex

The woman elected to not hound the Engineer about how he agreed with her choice of doing things quietly as if he'd done such things before. She did however make a short remark of, "Cute." when he rejected her offer of beer, taking it back from him, now double fisting the beers, taking a drink from one then the other.

The Engineer noted their arrival at Nal Hutta and she followed him to the cockpit and looked out the viewport at the brownish grey world. A deep sigh as she put her drinks and chips down and sat in the pilots seat, the engineer beside her.

The two guided the newly acquired vessel down smoothly. As they approached the landing pad, the smuggler pointed out the viewport to a distant building. The only thing that made it stand out was the fact that it was only slightly larger than the others, "That's our mark."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom