Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground

Tom Kovack

T
Forest outside the Silver Rest, Kashyyyk

Perched on a rock near a clear running stream, Tom Kovack held a blue pyramid in his lap.

The holocron was new, the metal shiny and crystal lattice unmarred. When he pressed the palm of his hand to the capstone, the pyramid glowed, pale light streaking through the circuitry, weaving intricately down the sides. The stone grew warmer. Tom set it down on the rock beside him.

A holographic figure flickered into being, projected by the little blue pyramid. At first glance it looked to be an old man, with sagging jowls and long white hair hanging limply from his skull-like countenance. But at second glance his eyes seemed too blue, his fingers too long; the veins beneath his thinned skin were dark gray, filled with black blood. Tammuz Hoole, the Shi’ido Jedi Master, had imprinted his consciousness into the holocron sometime recently, and it bore his current preferred appearance. He resembled a statue sculpted from ash and clay; in contrast, the gold robe that reached past his toes was almost garishly vibrant, the stiff metallic fabric decorated with colorful scenes from the mythology of his race.

“Master Hoole,” Tom said, rising to his feet and giving the hologram a quick bow. “I’m sorry I haven’t been training with you lately. Other matters kept me busy.”

The hologram impression of Tammuz greeted his apprentice with a well-mannered smile. “I’m sure they have. But if everything has been resolved—”

“Master, before we begin, can I talk to you?”

Tammuz raised an eyebrow at the interruption. “You may speak.”

“Not too long ago, Laertia Io and Syd Celsius came to the Silver Rest,” Tom began. “There was… It’s a complex matter and difficult to explain, but there was talk of a schism or a civil war among the Jedi. The two of them were looking for supporters among the Silvers to join them in a crusade against the Bryn’adûl. They’re still looking for more to add to their numbers.”

He waited a moment to give Tammuz a chance to ask any questions, but the old master was quiet, gazing at him attentively. Clearing his throat, Tom continued.

“I was with Starlin. We saw the two of them outside, surrounded by a crowd of students and teachers. Starlin introduced me to Syd. He told her that I didn’t have a master yet. I don’t know what came over me, but all of a sudden I blurted out that I did have a master. I told them about you. I even mentioned your name.”

“Why would you reveal this information to people who are strangers to you?” Tammuz asked, his expression carefully composed.

“I… felt it was appropriate.”

“How so?”

Tom grimaced. “Starlin made me look bad. I wanted to amend the damage he had done to my reputation.”

“You realize there’s no shame in you not having an apparent master yet? Many students have to wait years to find a master willing to train them. You at least are enrolled at their academy, able to attend classes and receive basic training…” Tammuz waved his hand dismissively. “Starlin wounded your pride, and you did something foolish because of it. Don’t do it again! The last thing you need is for people to start asking questions, poking their noses into your business out of misplaced curiosity.”

“Master, I… that isn’t all.” At the puzzled look Tammuz gave him, Tom gulped. “I told them about your master, too. I told them how he died.”

For a long time, Tammuz was silent and still. Then he leaned toward Tom, his gaze penetrating. “And just what do you know about it?”

“Only what you’ve told me,” Tom replied softly. Which wasn't much. Tom knew that Tammuz's master had been killed during the years of the Gulag Plague, slain by a Sith called Darth Phyre, but he didn't know the specifics.

Covering his face with one hand, Tammuz tried to regain his composure. “I gave you the sanitized version, scrubbed clean of horror. You don’t know what it was really like. I thought the scars would never go away. Me, a skinshifter with flesh like water.” He held up his hands, turning them over as though he expected to see marks on the pale skin of his wrists, knuckles, and palms. Wounds dealt in binding and torture, and from trying to fight back against a force far stronger than he. A woman with hair like flames.

After what seemed like an eternity of silence, with Tom staring at him worriedly, Tammuz clenched his hands into fists and met his apprentice’s gaze.

“Do you want to hear the full story?”

Cautiously, Tom nodded.

“Then I’ll tell you. Sit down and listen.”

~~~​

Atrisia
The later years of the Gulag Plague…

Night had fallen over the valley. A crashed freighter lay smoldering in the brush, still blazing orange in the darkness.

The ship's passengers numbered just three in total—a female Rodian pilot and two Jedi, a Padawan and his Master, who had come to Atrisia to investigate reports of a strange Dark Side cult. The pilot had a broken leg and couldn’t walk on her own, so the Jedi carried her out of the wreck and into a nearby field. Once they were a safe enough distance away from the smoke and flames, they set her down gently on the grass.

Tammuz Hoole watched attentively as his master tended to the Rodian’s leg using a medkit he had managed to salvage from the shattered hulk of their ship. Jedi Master Tobias Murdoch worked quickly and diligently, with a grim skillfulness that comes with too much experience. He was a middle-aged man with shoulder-length hair tied back, and wore a dark green robe decorated with brown, white, and black feathers. It gave him the look of a wild man or a hermit wizard—in many ways, that was precisely what Murdoch was. He had been roped into serving as a soldier and an agent out of necessity, but it wasn't his true calling.

“Raise the light a little higher, Tammuz,” Murdoch commanded. “I’m nearly finished.”

Obediently, Tammuz adjusted the angle of his white lightsaber. He was only a few months younger than his fifty-one year old master, but for a Shi’ido like him, he was still considered a youth. He had taken an appropriate human form to reflect this, that of a gawky young man with sandy hair and blue eyes, his features carefully molded to resemble Murdoch’s in such a way that they could easily pass for father and son. Useful for when their travels took them places that were hostile towards aliens or suspicious of the Jedi.

The Rodian had fallen unconscious at some point during the ordeal. “She might have a concussion,” Murdoch said, wiping sweat from his brow. “We should wait until morning to move her, give her time to rest.”

"What about our mission?"

Murdoch rubbed his palms against his knees. “We’ll walk all the way back to civilization, carrying her between us. Once she's in proper care, we proceed with the mission.”

In the too-bright glow of the saber, Tammuz saw something like amusement gleaming in his master’s eye. “What’s so funny?”

“Well, we managed to crash in a remote area, far from any major population centers, despite having no power to maneuver with—and yet you're still concerned about being on time.” Murdoch shrugged. “I suppose I’m a bit giddy that we didn’t kill anyone, is all. The Force truly is with us.”

Rustling in the undergrowth startled Tammuz. He whipped around, raising his blade to search the trees with its pale light. The forest was filled with scraggly black silhouettes clawing at the horizon.

“Tammuz, I don't mean to disappoint you, but I'm pretty sure that was just a predator bird rustling in the branches, looking for dinner," Murdoch replied. "Don't worry, you’re much too large a meal for it.”

“No, wait..." Tammuz whispered. “Something is wrong. I can feel it, like a knot in my gut.” He turned to face his master. “We need to leave this place. Staying here is too dangerous.”

Murdoch studied his apprentice for a moment, then nodded slowly. “You were always better at prescience than I,” he muttered. “Very well. I’ll carry her, you stick close. We’ll head… east.”

This will be a thread focusing on Tammuz Hoole, his master, and their fateful encounter with Darth Phyre. Feel free to post whenever, there is no pressure or hurry to get this one going. I just happened to be struck with inspiration and started writing.

Aboard the Scorched Earth

In Orbit over Kashyyyk

Syd floated mid air in a meditative position observing Laertia Io perform something Syd had never actually seen before:

A Card Trick.

52 cards, Vibroswords, Maces, Daggers, Hammers. Laertia was wearing an outfit Syd had never seen before, a skintight purple leotard with matching stockings and Top Hat and exposed shoulders, the neck covered by a green bowtie. Her lips contrasted with her pale skin, given very red lipstick. She'd applied a temporary green dye to the tips of her black hair.

After completely declaring herself in open rebellion, Laertia had been such a bundle of stress and nerves that the only way she could calm down was by doing something familiar to her. For Laertia, it was the street magic she used to make a living on Nar Shaddaa in between stealing stuff (As savage as she had been in her youth, and was to this day, She had been a violent and brutal creature only in self defense or revenge, and never took Contract work despite getting offers) and after being forcibly retired the first time around.

Syd went along with it, because she knew how afraid Laertia was of what she had done in standing up to Coren Starchaser and Ryv Karis, The Sword of The Jedi himself. Syd herself quaked at what she had done. But Laertia and her had both reeled from the wound in the Force The Bryn'adul created in slaughtering Nar Kreeta's inhabitants...

Laertia had been incensed at the obvious folly of a two front war. They expected her to waste her energy fighting the Sith while the Bryn'adul actively encroached and destroyed civilizations simply upon contact? Did the Order even comprehend how overwhelmingly selfish their desire to fight the Sith was at this juncture? The Order had 'barely' defeated them at Yurb. They had watched whole civilizations burn with each failure against the fanatical, murderous legions. There was hardly any room for idealism against such a foe, save for preserving all Non-Bryn'adul Life yet remaining by using the might of the entire Galaxy. Some of the fools actually thought trying to re-educate them was an option! They could re-educate them once the Bryn'adul gave an unconditional surrender. And that might only happen once you drove the entire species to the brink of destruction. The Bryn'adul were crazy enough that they might not surrender even if driven to that point...

But for now, they had to disconnect. They had to unwind, and both were so divorced from common society that this was the least awkward way they could think of to distract themselves.

Laertia laid the deck in a spread across the table.

"Pick any card. Don't show me..." Laertia encouraged.

Syd smiled. Using telekinesis, she selected a card and looked at it. The Ace of Swords.

"Now, fold it up and tear it apart and burn it..."

Syd folded it twice, tore it to little pieces and burned them up with her mind.

Laertia gathered the cards, shuffled them, and spread them across the table before making them vanish in a puff of smoke. Then she took off her top hat, put her hand in the hat...

...and plucked out the Ace of Swords Card.

"Is this your card?" Laertia asked coyly.

Syd giggled, floating it over to her.

"It is..."

Laertia smiled that happy smile Syd rarely saw. Laertia's smiles were few, except around her family. But even then they happened rarely.

Syd had wanted to be a good Jedi. But the path the NJO wanted was suicide. Where were all the extra resources going to come from? How can they fight the Sith and defend their borders from the Bryn'adul at the same time? It was a selfish fantasy, a crude dream imagined by Ryv who constantly wanted to play hero, and an SJC too weakwilled to tell the fools protesting the Compact that they were fools. But Laertia hadn't been too weak to say it...

"May I see another?" Syd asked gently.

Laertia seemed to go giddy. She took the card from Syd's telekinetic grasp, got a crystal goblet and held the card over the goblet, tapping the card with her wand.

Red liquid started to slide off the surface of the card, dripping rapidly into the Goblet until it was full.

"What's that trick called?" Syd asked, fascinated.

"The Nar Shaddaa Waterfall..." Laertia answered proudly. "I invented it."

"How do you perform it?" Syd asked.

"A Magician never reveals their secrets..." Laertia replied, handing her the goblet.

Syd took a sip, surprised by how cold it was and fruity.

"Grape Juice..." Syd noted in surprise before remembering Laertia didn't take alcohol due to her Brain Damage. She downed some more before offering some to Laertia, who took a sip also.

"Syd..." Laertia confessed quietly. "I'm terrified at what I have done..."

She looked up at Syd. "I just told my own peers I was willing to fight them...have I gone insane? Am I traitor? I can't follow what I know is a bad strategy, but yet I'm supposed to sit back and not interfere while they commit to a ruinous plan since I'm not willing to help to begin with?"

"I've always hated that strategy of theirs..." Syd admitted. "It creates more problems than it solves. It allows them to go on with a flawed strategy, and the people they sideline can't do anything except tell them they're wrong while being unable to do anything without instantly being suspected of being a heretic on the path to the Dark Side."

She took a sip, handed it back to Laertia.

"I'm going to oppose them..." Laertia said, quaking on the inside. "And I'm serious about it...we may have to kill them to defend this Compact, this Alliance...and I'm terrified I'm making the wrong decision."

"So am I...but I don't want to fight Sith after what I saw at Nar Kreeta either. The Galaxy needs to Unite, but everybody is afraid of pissing off all the ones with grudges into open rebellion." Syd replied

"I never saw a Jedi Master fold like that...what was that fool thinking?!" Laertia snapped in frustration at how quickly Starchaser had folded under protest and pressure. It was his refusal to go along with it that had really solidified her own position on that matter. Laertia had never wanted to be a focus of attention. She'd been only an odd killer in the Background of The SJO, and so had Syd, and they had been happy for it. And now both were turning their back on their peers due to their own conscience.

"Syd..." Laertia said slowly, setting aside the goblet of juice. "If you want to back out...maybe you should... Starlin Rand Starlin Rand seems like a nice enough boy. He's got his whole career ahead of him. Maybe I'm wrong for dragging you and him into this..."

"He means well...he's learning a lot..." Syd spoke. "I have misgivings too...but he was at Nar Kreeta, the same as I was. He knows the score. If I back out with him, they'll just throw him to some frontline of their own choosing to die...and senselessly at this point. A front not against The Bryn'adul is senseless."

"He's a good boy, Syd. He'll not be the same afterward. Is it really fair to him, coming along just because you are his mentor?" Laertia pressed with uncertainty and hesitation in her gray eyes.

"Starlin is the closest I'll likely ever get to having a son." Syd said quietly. "I'm scared of him being there same as you...but what choice do I have? People like Ryv will lead him into a senseless battle that doesn't make any sense to wage with The Bryn'adul looming over everything, destroying worlds wantonly. I don't want him to be there deep down...I'm terrified he'll get hurt...but I don't know who else really, besides him and you that I would rather have as back up.

"He almost died at Nar Kreeta."

"So did we. And it would have been an agonizing death..." Syd spoke. "But...if we just go along with what they want...we'll be complicit in any advantages the Bryn'adul gain from leaving us to fight. We'll be complicit in devoting and exhausting ourselves to two very lethal enemies, and only one of those enemies is even entertaining the idea of an Alliance, however temporary. Everybody is so panicked about being betrayed they ignore the certainty of death if they don't throw everything they have at the Bryn'adul."

"Then our reasoning is the same..." Laertia said softly, handing Syd the Goblet. "We'll be remembered as traitors. All the stuff we did for them will be dismissed and forgotten. They'll never mention us except as a warning to other Padawans. But if it keeps the Galaxy out of the Bryn'adul's hands...then hang the Code. And hang us with it..."

Laertia suddenly broke down in tears, dropping to her knees and dropping the cards as well. Laertia didn't look like anything significant at the moment, not a traitor to the Order, not a former Magician at children's parties desperately trying to recapture when she was somewhat happy.

She looked only like a completely broken woman at the end of her rope.

"My family was butchered by The Sith! How can I do this?!" Laertia sobbed, Syd's arms around her instantly.

"They died, to protect me...and here I am, making their sacrifice for nothing..."

"We're trying to preserve the Galaxy, Laertia. You have to remember that..." Syd said, hands clasping her shoulder.

"My parents would be ashamed of me opposing any Jedi violently and I know it..." Laertia replied, wiping tears from her eyes. "But I don't know what to do other than stand back and let them self-destruct..."

"I don't either." Syd confessed, hugging her. It was the truth. Syd had tried to think of another way, but every other way cost too many bodies. And they were going to force the issue either way.

Laertia suddenly clutched Syd's shoulders.

"Please..." Laertia whispered. "You can still back out...keep your student out of this. Denounce me. Save your reputation before it goes any further."

"I'm not abandoning you...and...creatures like me...we don't have reputations that 'can' be saved." Syd replied.

"Starlin's can be saved."

"What good is a reputation when your life will be thrown away for one of Ryv's selfish crusades? What good is it if the Bryn'adul win and kill everything? The NJO's priorities are fethed." Syd said. "I dread the idea that Starlin will pay for my choices...but I think all he loves will pay more if I don't make them...the thought of him being hurt is still awful..."

"I wouldn't hold it against you if you bailed on me."

"I refuse..." Syd replied emphatically.

One hour later...

Laertia was still in her performance costume, asleep, head resting on Syd's chromium covered leg as they lay on a simple couch Syd had brought aboard. Syd's fingers glided through a distraught but sleeping Black Knight's hair, fingertips feeling the largest scar on her scalp, hidden by her hair most of the time.

It pleased the Force Spawn to see Laertia at rest. It distracted her from the coming tragedy. But that wasn't the only one that would occur. Not yet.

Syd's mind turned back to the words of Tom Kovack earlier that day. About Darth Phyre. Syd hid her guilt and shame from their bond. It hurt her to hide it. Maybe she would work up the courage to tell Laertia someday. Laertia likely knew as well as she did that some active Jedi Knights even today were former Sith. The news might surprise her, but maybe not 'that' much.

(Cutaway of J. Jonah Jameson laughing uncontrollably)

(J. Jonah Jameson stops laughing for a moment.)

(J. Jonah Jameson: "You're serious?")

(J. Jonah Jameson: This...this is going to go bad. That reveal is going to go so so bad.")

Tom Kovack's words again troubled her. She tried to remember, but was frightened...

Troublingly, some pieces started to float to the surface...

Gulag Era, Waning Years...

Weeks after the First Death of Darth Themis Darth Themis

("Shadow of Chernobyl" by Stephen Barton Plays)

She had triumphed over her longest lasting headache...

As Darth Phyre flew through the air in the night of Atrisia in her skintight white and gold catsuit she realized she didn't feel as elated as she should have, at the death of Moya De Lifte.

What should have been a carefree flight of celebration had turned into a flight to distract herself.

Moya had done more damage than anyone. She had successfully seperated her from this champion the Brain Demon had told her of. This champion that she was destined to raise to greatness in the Bogan. It had been her destiny to guide and train Julia to the height of Sith Power. Now thwarted.

Phyre's triumphs felt lesser, somehow, in failing to acquire the perfect heir. Phyre was close to tearing her hair out, unable to understand. Couldn't some other be found?

When she thought of it, the flame haired Sith immediately scoffed. No other would ever have the potential Julia had...it was her most personal, humiliating defeat, having Julia spirited away into the one barrier Phyre could not overcome: Time itself...

Who would ever be worthy enough now to pass her wisdom off too. There was still her first apprentice, but both had gotten comfortable with him in the role of handyman as opposed to true heir. Her loss was incalculable. It was making Phyre rage internally, unable to stop thinking about her stolen heir. Why could the fools not understand Phyre would have perfected Julia with the Darkness? Why could she not stop obsessing over that defeat?

Julia would have become as powerful as Phyre. Maybe more. Julia would be the first true equal Phyre had ever had...

Now...she was forced to remain a singularity...

As she flew through the air, she stiffened in hatred...Jedi. They had crashed. Frieighter Malfunction, probably. Even one as powerful as Phyre would have been hard pressed to chase and bring down a fast moving freighter. Sometimes a ship accident was a just a ship accident.

With the Cult highly active even now, especially on Atrisia, Phyre was surprised any bonafide Jedi had the gall to land here. She flew down into the woods to observe them, concealing her presence partly, enough so she couldn't be pinpointed, but not enough that the Jedi wouldn't sense something 'very' wrong in the Force.

The fiery haired abomination observed from the shadows of the woods around the three, already getting delicious ideas on how to mess with them...it might take her mind off losing her true heir, torturing and killing a few Jedi...

Last edited:

Tom Kovack

T
“Put your lightsaber away,” Murdoch ordered. “It will only draw attention to us.”

“But how will I be able to see?” Tammuz asked. He obediently turned off the blade and clipped it to his belt, plunging their world into darkness.

“See with the Force. You remember the lesson, don’t you?" Murdoch nudged him almost playfully. "You’ve always been so welcoming to the Force, Tammuz. For my other students, it was like a tempestuous sea they were afraid of. But you embrace it. Embrace it now.”

Tammuz shut his eyes, as he had been taught to do, and opened himself to the Force. The wilderness around him began to warm up, the ebb and flow of life in the forest appearing to him as a vibrant glow. Brightest of all was a shooting star darting down from the sky into the woods…

“It isn’t a star,” he whispered, looking toward the trees.

Murdoch immediately picked up on the change in his apprentice’s mood, edging toward true fear. “What do you see?”

“Someone or something is watching us.” Tammuz turned glittering eyes upon his master. “Something… wrong.”

“Just one? Or many?”

“I can’t tell.” The presence was broad and indistinct. He thought it might've been deliberately hiding itself, if only partially.

“I sense it too,” Murdoch murmured. He adjusted the weight of the wounded Rodian pilot slung over his shoulder. “Let’s try to avoid it for now. Come on.”

They kept going. Tammuz kept his eyes peeled, observing the progress of the wrongness in the Force. Sure enough, it followed them.

“It’s hunting us,” Tammuz hissed after a few minutes had passed. “We’re its prey. I can feel its malice.”

Murdoch hesitated. “Stay here with her,” he said, unloading the Rodian and gently laying her on the ground. “I’ll go and check it out.”

“No wait—”

“I won’t be gone for long,” Murdoch interrupted. “I’m not going to try to kill it. I’m just going to go scope it out.”

“No.” The word tore out of Tammuz. “Please, don’t leave me.”

“I’ll be back soon. If anything happens, take her and run.”

Before Tammuz could protest further, Murdoch was gone, headed into the woods, toward the malevolent presence that lay within.

Syd Celsius Syd Celsius

Phyre watched from the woods. Watched them argue. The older one told the others to go on without him while he went to investigate. Predictable. He should have been running with his student.

Phyre let him get into the woods a little before making her presence fully known.

Her awful, rotting presence in the Force polluted the whole area just by her very presence as she stepped from the shadows of the woods to face Murdoch, slinking towards him, conjuring a fireball in hand.

"I bid you welcome to Atrisia, Jedi..." she said in a mocking, but quite callous tone.

"My world has many glories, even in this wretched time of Plague. You really should have tried the Sushi before crashing, at least. Oh, well. Maybe I'll deign to feed you some as I pull your student's intestines out in front of you..."

She sent a gout of flame towards Murdoch, sneering at his presence in the light. She desired to corrupt all Jedi in the absolute cruelest way she could think of, wrath ten times worse than normal (which was saying something given how homicidally sadistic she was by default) now that her true heir had been denied to her.

Phyre did not intend to kill Murdoch. Or his friends. Not yet. She intended to wound, to draw out their suffering. Her very flesh writhed with the Dark Side, making the flesh on her face bubble hideously for a few seconds as she stared at him. He was Brave. She loved killing the brave, turning their courage to fear with enough blisters...

She intended to give them the darkest and longest of nights. And she intended to bury them in the coldest of grounds afterward...

Last edited:

Tom Kovack

T
Murdoch showed little surprise at the appearance of Darth Phyre. Despite her overwhelmingly negative presence in the Force, what he saw standing before him was only a woman. A powerful one with evil intentions, but no boogeyman beyond the influence of the Force.

That was the secret which Murdoch had been trying to teach Tammuz. His courage stemmed from his absolute trust in the Force. Whatever happened, he believed in its benevolence. It would never abandon him.

The red-haired woman spoke a few words, cold and cruel, then lobbed fire at him. His hand thrust out, palm open, to absorb the raw energy. But he underestimated the strength of the blast. It burst around him, creating walls of flame on either side of his body. His robes and hair caught fire, while his skin blistered in the heat.

Tammuz, who had remained in the spot where Murdoch had left him, saw the inferno from a mile away. The orange glow shone on his face, eyes widening in shock and terror, mouth open in a soundless cry. He was crouched beside the wounded pilot on the ground; in seconds he had leaped to his feet, running toward his master.

Murdoch emerged more than a little singed, but intact. He could still fight. He would have, if he hadn’t sensed Tammuz’s rapid approach.

“No! Stay back!” he shouted. “Tammuz! I told you to stay back—!”

Tammuz did not underestimate Phyre. He knew she was a threat greater than anything he had ever faced. He could feel the power she had, the fount of her rage, how it strengthened her. If Murdoch tried to fight her alone, he would die. Rather than let that happen, Tammuz flung himself into hell with him. Using a fallen log as leverage, he leaped at Phyre, his lightsaber igniting, the blade descending in a slashing arc aimed at her head.

Predictably the Padawan joined in the fun to prevent his Master burning, a slash of his Lightsaber aimed at her head.

She lazily, casually deflected it and him with her purple, curved hilt Lightsaber.

"You should never approach a Boss Fight being 'that' underleveled..." Phyre mocked at the Padawan cruelly, throwing out a Force Choke attempt towards his master. She didn't want either dying immediately. She had plans to extend their suffering.

"Throw down your blade and maybe I don't turn your Master into a Pot-Roast, Kid." Phyre commanded, though admittedly she didn't mind burning him a little if he didn't cooperate first. A little DBP would have them both screaming in a way that pleased her soon enough.

Phyre sometimes wondered why her Hatred of The Jedi was so powerful. She had been crafted from powerful magical remains by Sith enslaved to The Brain Demon but even she was sometimes curious as to why her hatred of Jedi was so strong. After all, it wasn't as if the Jedi had done anything to her except be slaves of the hated light...

(Cutaway of Cidd Cinndurr being violently dismembered by an ancient Tyrant on a sacred volcano after being handed over to him by the Jedi.)

(Cutaway of T'sid Surt'r being violently blasted apart with an explosive by her master, The Jedi in White, for refusing to cease her Time Manipulation experiments)

Phyre truly didn't know from where the hatred stemmed. But she felt righteous for inflicting it. She increased the temperature in the area around her to near oven like levels, to try and simply inflict heat exhaustion.

Tom Kovack

Last edited:

Tom Kovack

T
Tammuz might as well have not even heard the woman speak. He charged at her again, his lightsaber swinging, funneling the Force into the blow to increase its potency. The boy was terrified, but not angry enough to channel the Dark Side. Not yet.

His master was the one who intervened, fighting desperately through Phyre’s assault on his trachea and the intensifying heat of the atmosphere around them. A tree had caught fire from her previous Pyrokinetic attack, filling the air with smoke as it burned. Murdoch reached out with the Force, seized his Padawan, stunned him so that he was unable to move, and sent him flying backwards through the forest, away from the fight.

“You will fight me,” Murdoch rasped through damaged vocal cords, drawing his saber at last. The blade was as clear as the waters in the Room of a Thousand Fountains. “Not him.”

He called upon the winds to blow, creating a whirlwind around Phyre in hopes of snuffing out her flame.

***​

“So Syd has disgraced herself in the eyes of her fellow Jedi by following along with Laertia Io in her crusade against the Bryn’adul, even allying with the Sith and the CIS,” Tammuz said, his tone one of obvious disgust. “Does she realize what she has done?”

He had stopped in the middle of his story to ask more questions about the “schism” between the two Jedi factions, and the conversation had rapidly changed course. Tom didn’t blame him; the recollection of these memories was no doubt painful. “Yes, I’m sure she knows. She seemed quite upset about it and all but begged Starlin not to follow her.”

“Yet he has chosen to follow her anyway. And you say it’s because he is more loyal to her than he is to the Silvers?” When Tom hesitated, he added, “What exactly are his feelings toward you, then? You didn’t side with Laertia.”

“I didn’t side with anyone,” Tom clarified, rubbing his forehead as though he had a headache. “Starlin doesn’t know who I am. He wants to know, but I’ve told him only bits and pieces about myself. He still hasn’t seen Miri, so I haven’t had to roll out the cover story for her… and he has yet to see me bleed.”

“I would say you’ve approached being a Jedi with too much caution, but you’ve made a cage for yourself, nad’yim,” Tammuz said, referring to the boy using a Shi’idese term which broadly meant student, son, or even the more casual and affectionate kiddo. “This charade of yours, pretending to be someone you aren’t—it’s unsustainable. You can’t hide behind a mask forever.”

“Depending on how things go with Dantooine, things may change,” Tom said, changing the subject. He didn’t want to think about unsustainable charades and crumbling masks, especially not in relation to the effect all of this would have on Starlin. “But I've had a few visions."

"Oh?"

"I've seen an older, wiser Starlin still training with Syd. Still her apprentice."

Tammuz peered at Tom. “Are you satisfied with that outcome?”

Tom shrugged, but there was a tightness in his shoulders now. “It’s his decision. I can’t stop him.”

Tammuz snorted incredulously. “Starlin is your project, and possibly your folly. If you’re willing to gamble the boy’s future on one such as her…” He sighed. “I suppose I should applaud you for being so open-minded and willing to forgive.”

“A Sith Lord didn’t kill my master. I hated the Elder Compact, but I have no reason to despise the Sith to the point of zealotry.”

The Shi’ido cast a sharp glance Tom’s way, but his gaze quickly softened. “There’s only so much I can teach you, you know. You want saber training, but I was never much of a duelist. Still am not, I reckon… You’ll need to find another master.”

“I know,” Tom hissed through grit teeth. “I’ve tried. Three times. All of them ghosted me.”

“Then perhaps you should look outside the Silvers.” Tammuz raised an eyebrow. “Have you considered giving the New Jedi Order a shot?...”

Last edited by a moderator:
Phyre smirked as she watched the Jedi stun and throw his Padawan.

"I'd give you points if this was a contest for Yeeting people, places, and things...but it's not." Phyre replied playfully, toying with him.

She hissed in annoyance as the whirlwind started, spinning her around and dizzying her a few moments, somewhat disrupting her focus on increasing the temperature. It bought him time, but she used her Force Flight abilities to counter-rotate against the whirlwind, stabilizing her.

"Okay, you're not totally unskilled, like so many of your wretched kind. Hardly a true warrior amongst any of you.

Her rage at having Julia stolen from her focused the hate, making her flesh shudder horribly as she channeled the Darkness. She had such an awful night planned for these two.

But first, to break his will.

"Unholy Spirit, pour fourth my hatred..." The bubbling abomination hissed.

Purple fire exited her mouth as the spell took effect.

It could not kill him. It could not even hurt him physically...

What it could cause was despair, near suicidal depression and loss of morale, even among the very spiritually strong.

Phyre waited to see if it would have any effect on him, guarding and ready for any of his other tricks...

Present day.

"Syd?" Laertia asked.

"Yes?" Syd asked, blinking, having zoned out while staring at the micro couplings linking Laertia's cybernetic arm to the rest of her body. They were both in Syd's quarters, Laertia still in her magician's costume, showing Syd how to decouple the arm from her body.

It was a magnificent, slender construct, of matching purportions to her organic arm, yet with such power it almost matched it's strength. Syd had been running her hands along it when the bad memory had surfaced. She had barely closed it off from Laertia.

"You got distracted..."

"Sorry..." Syd said, finally uncoupling it with a series of precise twists at the shoulder.

The arm came off and Laertia removed her cybernetic eye.

"What were you distracted by?"

"A bad memory...they...they float to the surface occasionally..." Syd admitted.

"I get that a lot..." Laertia admitted.

"Neither one of us has too many good memories, do we?" Syd asked.

"I've gotten some recently. I want more of them..." Laertia confessed, organic, snow-pale hand touching Syd's bronze face.

"Am I still beautiful to you, Syd?" The now one eyed, one armed killing machine asked.

"Of course..."

Their lips touched, and a desperate passion seized the both of them as Syd telekinetically shut the door...

A few hours later...

Syd lay awake under the covers, Laertia asleep and snuggled close next to her.

She stared up at the ceiling, feeling a kind of peace in her bond...yet the memory of that long dead Jedi Master began to seep in the back of her head, driven back only by the warmth of Laertia next to her.

She knew someday, her past as a Sith would catch up to her. But she just didn't know how.

Next to her was someone she genuinely had feelings for. Yet so much was hidden, and even as she basked in Laertia's affection, a part felt pain still. Pain she now realized, with an icy clarity that she might never be truly rid of.

Laertia stirred, discomforted in her sleep by Syd's discomfort. She still slept, but it was furtive.

She wanted to run away, far away, with Laertia, but she knew that was impossible. They may have just both damned themselves. Why did all this stuff with the Bryn'adul happen now. If only the Council hadn't wanted war against the Sith so badly...it could have given them both some breathing room, even under all the pressure. But what the Jedi Order was doing was wrong. They had to cut their ambition down. Laertia hoped a costly enough defeat at Dantooine might dissuade them.

Syd may have hoped the same but she wasn't holding her breath. Jedi must have their way at all costs or it's not a Victory for justice.

She was surprised at the level of resentment in her thoughts as she stared into the ceiling...

Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

For a few fleeting moments, Murdoch had a chance to recover, to breathe through his aching throat and burning sinuses. But those moments passed quickly, as the Sith was able to break free. She taunted him, then uttered the words of a spell… something he was unfamiliar with and unprepared for.

Black despair filled him like the smoke coating his lungs. He had failed. His apprentice, his Order, all Jedi everywhere. They had been counting on him, and he had failed them all… he was weak, a coward. He would die here in this forest, unable to protect himself, let alone Tammuz and the wounded pilot. He would die here, all alone...

As his soul was dragged down into a pit from which there was no escape, Murdoch found he had no will left to live. He wanted to die. The least he could do, as a spineless craven fool, was end his life on his own terms. He stared at the glowing blade, then wordlessly turned the hilt over in his hand so that it pointed toward his chest…

At the barrier between the woods and the field, Tammuz’s body spasmed. He had sensed his master’s emotions growing dark through their bond, but he had lain there helpless, unable to move. The pain of the self-inflicted wound jerked him out of the paralysis. At first he could only gasp, shaking his head in disbelief at what had happened. But as tears filled his eyes, he cried out, a scream of agony that seemed to tear out of his body. Even as it echoed through the Atrisian valley, bouncing off mountains and trees and crags, it carried with it a blast of immense energy, the emotional turmoil within Tammuz having built up and at last crystallized into raw power.

It was the Dark Side which gave him the strength to get up, staggering forward into the charred and battered wood. He sensed that his master was still alive, but badly wounded. He wasn’t thinking of what miracle he could perform to save Murdoch, however. Tammuz’s only goal was vengeance against the one responsible.

His staggering became running, then a flying leap as he lunged at Darth Phyre, telekinetically seizing his master’s lightsaber in his free hand so that he could fight with both Murdoch's and his own weapons. Both blades ignited as he bore down upon her, fury and hatred in his heart, the darkness his guide in this battle. A battle which, deep down, he knew he could not win... but he would rather die fighting than be tortured or enslaved, or tricked, as his master had been...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom