Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cruising For Trouble

Lori raised a brow as [member="Zye Woden"] remarked on his....outfit. He needed a bath, and a good tailor. But who was she to say otherwise? Instead she answered him with a quip of her own. "An uncommon space junkie might...."

He introduced himself then. Of course it was a name that she didn't recognize. There were far too many people out there for her to remember. She had no need to anyways. Not yet.

She glanced over to [member="Ultimatum"] and Upari before turning her attention back to the newcomer. "I'm Lori." No last name given, no titles either. She had been told long ago to keep that to herself just in case someone had some vendetta against her parents. "And I wasn't the pilot. My ship's over there." She pointed to the Grey Sparrow that sat nearby.

Lori shook her head at the offered drink. Never take strange drinks from strangers. Every kid knew that and she was no dummy.

Ultimatum had no recollection of any House Woden, not that he expected there to be. This organic seemed a little strange, though that might be intentional. The droid did not doubt the existence of such a group; it was a question of how well known it was. If he could spend time trawling the HoloNet, he might find some reference to it, but now was not the time for such a search. The name would be memorized, along with the general appearance of this fascinating person. Whether or not it would need to be permanently saved would be seen.

Ultimatum spoke up when Lori pointed to her ship. "Unfortunately, our pilot was incapacitated in the first shots. We had to pilot it." The droid motion to Upari and himself as he explained.

With another bow, he introduced himself. "Ultimatum. At your service. And this is my compatriot Upari." There was no second name to hide. Ultimatum was Ultimatum, and Upari was Upari. Their names along with what they were, gave enough uniqueness where it would be difficult to forget them. Or so Ultimatum told himself when he contemplated creating a second name for himself.

[member="Loreena Arenais"] [member="Zye Woden"]

[member="Ultimatum"] [member="Loreena Arenais"]

The child quipped back at him, a genuinely amused smirk crossed Zye's otherwise scowling face. She had guts, and more than that, she was a fair bit sassy.

"I like you, peasant child," Zye said. "If you are ever interested in any work besides," he waved his hand, "Whatever peasants like you do, give me a call. I can find a suitable craft for someone with that level of panache."

As far as compliments went, it was about as close as Zye could or would bring himself. He hadn't exactly been raised in the most congenial or genteel of homes. With a lifetime of rage and hunting that spanned longer than some civilizations, it was no wonder the members of the Woden family line were so spiteful.

He looked over the pint sized droid as it introduced itself and explained the circumstances.

"Clearly piloting wasn't your primary designation," he said in a flat, sour tone. He didn't even bother to nod towards the larger droid that he felt some force signature emanating from. Zye never suffered the indignity of dealing with slaves, servants, and underlings except to give orders. "What is it, then?"

Lori blinked at [member="Zye Woden"] as he called her a peasant child. She'd never been referred to in that terminology before. It caused her to laugh out loud, though she covered her mouth with her hand until she composed herself. "Peasant. Sure. I clearly clean up better than you, so..what does that make you? A street urchin?
Maybe you should lay off the drink a bit?"
Whatever work he figured that he could offer her, Lori was certain that it could probably be that of a pick-pocket. That wouldn't hold her attention for long.

She then butted in as Zye asked [member="Ultimatum"] what it is that he does. "He's awesome! A great adventurer and explorer. Or so the stories go...." Many a times she had heard the tales from her mom.

Now Lori tilted her head up at Zye. "And what do you do?
Besides drink, I mean."

Ultimatum gazed at the man for a moment, allowing his mechanical eyes to memorize every possible detail. Yes, this man was one worth keeping an eye on. Whether he was just a delusional drunk, or actually what he claimed to be, the potential for danger was far too high to ignore. It was not that the man had made any definite threat, or showed open hostility, but the demeanor was tipping Ultimatum off in that direction.

"I was designed to be a war strategist..." Ultimatum came across this before. Since awakening, attempting to identify his purpose led to a failure in recognition. There was a piece of critical data missing from his memories. He had not just been a war strategist, whoever had created him. It was one of those things that the droid hoped to discover in one of the data caches left behind by his previous self. It was merely a matter of locating one, which was easier than it sounded since the older Ultimatum had some method of predicting the newer Ultimatum's movements.

"However, that was some time ago. I've maintained a more general selection of knowledge and capabilities since that point." Ultimatum was somewhat gladdened to hear [member="Loreena Arenais"] coming to his defense. As much as he could handle the insults and underestimations of others, there was some part of him that was gratified by the small acts of kindness directed at him. Perhaps a part of him liked the idea of being described as an adventurer, though he hardly saw himself fitting the description.

"I too am curious, what is your 'designation'?"

[member="Zye Woden"]

[member="Loreena Arenais"] [member="Ultimatum"]

The child could hold her own. Many cultures would have likely seen her moxie as a sign of disrespect. Zye saw it as nothing short of fighting spirit, something worthy of the hunt. House Woden had always been quick to rewarded both cunning and spite.

"Oh Honey​ when mommy and daddy stop paying for your clothes, its not that easy to wear designer," he said patronizingly. It was a tone he had all but perfected with the right level of sickeningly disdainful benevolence.

The droid had been a machine of war. Zye smirked with admiration, a machine of the must cunning warfare. It was, after all, the highest calling a droid could have. As a weapon of war, it was a part of the great hunt. That smirk was quickly replaced with a downturned frown.

"Pity," he said coldly.

When the girl asked what he did, besides drink, he jabbed a finger at her, "I will have you know I am not​ drunk... yet," he displayed his bottle, "this is blood. Its a dietary thing," he took a sip from it before flourishing a flask from his tunic. He unscrewed the cap and the strong smell of liquor filled the immediate area, "This is fine whiskey," he took a sip from it as well, "See the difference now?"

They both had asked about the same time, what he did. Who he was. If Zye were to answer honestly, he wasn't too sure what his designation was at this point anymore. All the same, his back straitened a little more, his head was raised a little higher and his voice carried a slightly loftier tone, "I am Zye Woden, Last Son of House Woden, Sithspawn slayer and protector of my people. I harness the dark arts to fight the horrors that only the maddest and wildest of men dream up, but as for now?" he shook his head and took a sip of the whiskey, "I kill people, sweetheart."

Lori rose to the challenge of snarky comments. "Sounds like you're jealous. And if you were more careful with the credits you did have, then you could dress better." She smirked. She wasn't his honey, but he knew that already.

Her nose scrunched up as [member="Zye Woden"] told her that he was drinking blood. "Blood? Eww...that's so..." Oh she couldn't imagine drinking the stuff. And he had OFFERED the bottle to her just minutes ago. Now she thanked her lucky stars that she listened to her gut instincts.

She glanced over to [member="Ultimatum"] while Zye proclaimed his titles and what he did for a living. She wasn't entirely sure if she should be impressed or not. Lori half wanted to fake a yawn, but she refrained from doing so. Instead she just folded her arms across her chest. "So...if you're some Sithspawn killer that fights horrors, what are you doing just killing people then? Are you some bounty hunter or merc?" From the looks of things, it didn't seem as though he'd be a very good one.

Ultimatum was unconcerned with his apparent distaste with Ultimatum's change of work. This person, like most others, did not command Ultimatum and since knowledge of the person was limited to a fairly sad appearance, Ultimatum dismissed his thought on something where [member="Zye Woden"] was equally ignorant. It appeared that ignorance was being dissipated as the conversation continued. There were few species in the galaxy that consumed blood as part of a standard diet. That number, already small, was further reduced by the piece of information that he was human in appearance. There was the definite possibility that he had some form of appearance adjustor to cover particularly telling details, but Ultimatum had to work with what he had.

[member="Loreena Arenais"] had pointed something out that made sense. A killer of beasts rarely changed to the killing of men, though it was heard of. Perhaps he had given into the hunting style and had decided that sentients were the better prey than animals. Sithspawn seemed were rare than they had been at point in the past, though they were still reasonably common compared to only centuries ago. "Did you lose your people? Do they no longer require your protection?"

"Yes, and if my ships didn't run on fuel cells, we'd all be billionaires," Zye said drily. He glanced to the droid, "I am sure you appreciate that predicament more than any of us."

He took a sip from his bottle of blood as she said it was gross. He screwed his face to mimic her expression, he raised his voice to a higher nasal pitch, "Vegetables? Ewww that's like so totally gross. Why don't I just, like, totally go to a tanning saloon for eevsss."

He shook his head disgusted. It left a physical bitter taste in his mouth that he washed away with a healthy dose from his flask. The two were starting to get too close to his past, something he would need more than the contents of one flask to disclose to a teenage girl who liked to mouth off to him and a strategic-genius-droid-gone-hippie in a first encounter.

"That's enough questions about me," his voice carried no tenure of humility, "What about you two? Why did you decide to pursue the life of peace?" he inclined his head to the droid. Then he looked to the girl, "And on God's green galaxy what made you think to wear those shoes with ​that​ top?"

Lori smirked as [member="Zye Woden"] started to treat her like she was some spoiled brat. Yeah she didn't need to worry about credits. Yet she didn't go around spending it all the time either. She only did so when she needed to.

Zye was sassy. His remarks and the way that he mocked her was starting to get irritating. In a playful way though. Given that [member="Ultimatum"] knew her Mom, she figured that both him and Upari would have her back if she was in danger.

"Yeah? You should go to the tanning salon! You're so pale, you could stand in the snow naked and no one would see you!"

He changed the subject off himself then. A diversion tactic that she knew and had used well. "You know nothing about style. Clearly..." Duh! His ensemble was a mess! "I'm just exploring and fueling up. It's a big Galaxy out there..."

The droid was mildly entertained by the exchange between the organics. It was a strange trait of the organic races to have crucial conversations laced with the seemingly trivial. Some might have considered it a weakness, detracting from their ability to maintain a particular and vital subject. However, that was not what Ultimatum saw it as. It was a natural method of venting when dealing with challenging issues. When [member="Zye Woden"] mentioned the reliance on power that was only available in civilized society Ultimatum nodded. That was one of the reasons that Ultimatum was unable to leave civilizations and take the path of solitude. He had thought of taking such action before when dark thoughts robbed him of hope.

The droid could tell when a conversation was being diverted to avoid something. While not perfect at comprehending the finer details of personal quirks and cultural differences, the droid did have an excellent understanding of psychology and effects on a conversation. He decided to just roll with it. There were many subjects that some people felt uncomfortable with. "A realization that my waging war had done nothing. What purpose is there to killing, but to bring about a peace in one way or another. But if the killing does not bring peace, then what purpose does it serve? There is too much death. In the search for definite peace, killing can't be the first answer. Is it necessary? At times yes. But it must be controlled and specific."

[member="Loreena Arenais"]

[member="Ultimatum"] [member="Loreena Arenais"]

The idea of intentionally exposing himself to ultraviolet rays sent a shudder down his spine. The vampire had been forcibly exposed to them once before. The feeling of his skin burning, peeling off his muscles was still very vivid, even nine hundred years after the fact. Instead he offered a cruel, calculated smile, "I assure you, I ​have​ stood naked in the snow and people did​ notice because of the prominence of certain aspects​." He turned his head away from her in a show of theatrics, "You certianly wouldn't have to worry about being around people of my kind. We certainly have no mind for the tastes of low-born blood like yourself."

It was true that Zye didn't know much about style, but to be fair you didn't have to if all you wore was black in a dozen different shades. He wrote the comment off with a shrug. However, it was what the droid said about peace that caught Zye's attention. He quirked a brow. The droid was certainly more logical than he. And it there was no doubt in Zye's mind that the mechanical being was able to function without the chemicals and emotions that clouded Zye's organic brain. However, still Zye couldn't help but find a qualm with his logic.

"It sometimes must be​ the first answer," he said, motioning towards the droid with his bottle, "Sometimes all you can do is kill the sons of Biths who want to take what's yours. In that case, kill. But kill wisely."

Lori's mouth dropped slightly as [member="Zye Woden"] seemed to be insinuating something in regards to being naked in the snow. "Don't tell me...you're hairier than a Wookie underneath those clothes. I knew it!" And as for hus remark of ger being low-born, she scoffed out loud. "Low-born?
Ha! I'm a Pri--"
Uh oh. She nearly said it. Quickly she covered it up by correcting herself. "--pretty cool kid.
Only my brother is allowed to say otherwise. And you aren't him."
Thankfully!

She looked to [member="Ultimatum"] as he spoke of killing and the best reasonings behind having to do it. Lori had never killed before. Yes she had fought, but nothing major. She hadn't really hurt people much. The morals that her parents taught her still held strong.

These two obviously had more life experience than she did. At least for now. Her tummy grumbled as she was a bit hungry now that her excitement had died down. But it wasn't as though either of her company ate food. So she just chose to ignore her tummy for now.

"I hope that I'll never have to kill anyone. Or at least, not for a long time." Although she did wonder what it'd be like. Would she see death happen from afar? Or be right there when it happened? Lori hoped for the former rather than the latter.

The droid's mind had, momentarily, conjured up the image of the strange person before him standing in such a situation. The thought, while not the worst possible thought that could have been imposed on him, was sufficiently disturbing to give Ultimatum pause. There were few such thoughts in his mind, most of which involved organics in some state of decay or mutilation, and they were usually deleted. But the problem with a sophisticated computer, such as Ultimatum was, remained that of permanent removal of information. Rarely would a computer readily remove information, after all, they were designed to retain data. A computer like Ultimatum, therefore, had several tiers of information copies to avoid the accidental or intentional, deletion of potentially vital information. Thusly, even though Ultimatum had almost immediately purged the picture from his upper memory systems, the image would remain for several weeks at least as it was slowly deleted from lower tiers. In that time, it was possible for the image to resurface if his thoughts strayed in that direction. Ultimatum would have considered it akin to the organic idea of 'mental scarring.'

Ultimatum had in the past been called the droid variant of low-born, [member="Zye Woden"] had committed such an act earlier. It was something he was used to, not that it bothered him. It was a natural element of galactic society; perhaps it was part of the organic nature. What they created was less than them. What they built was intended to be used by them for their own purpose and then disposed of once it had accomplished its goal. Would Ultimatum had wanted it any other way? He was uncertain about that. After all, it was that very drive that led to the creation of robots. There was also a part of Ultimatum that still followed that subservient thought process. It might have been a vestige of the old droid in him, or it could have been the respect for his creators, as a child to his mother and father. He would never know for such things were so deeply ingrained as to be indistinguishable from himself, from his own perspective.

"To kill with wisdom requires the discernment to know when killing is unnecessary, and therefore the knowledge that killing is not always the answer, first or otherwise." Looking to [member="Loreena Arenais"] as she spoke of her lack of experience in that most dreadful of fields, Ultimatum remembered his first kill. Most organics would have considered it of little importance, for the victim had been a protocol droid on a backwater planet. Ultimatum had not rendered the fellow artificial inactive; instead, he had committed a far more insidious act, using his own programming to break down that of the droid. He had half-forced the protocol droid's very mind to match his own. That droid had not been fully converted, and had developed his own personality and had followed the old Ultimatum for quite some time. Where that artificial now walked was beyond Ultimatum's knowledge. "It is a moment of great importance. If you are forced to kill someone, choose carefully who and what and when. For if you look back on that memory with guilt, then it was not the right thing to do." Ultimatum knew, of course, that guilt did not decide what was morally correct or not, but he understood that mental reactions were important to the percieved morality of a person's actions.

"Yes, sure, I am hairy, we will go with that," he said sardonically. "I am quite glad I'm not your brother, I can only imagine the suffering that is involved in such a position."

Zye could vividly remember his first kill. His father and his uncle had groomed him for that moment, after teaching him to kill, to hunt, and having him witness each of them commit the act countless times. He had been allowed to beat slaves, captives, and Sithspawn all but up to that point. He was handed his short sword and released into the pit with a Sithspawn, like he had seen many times before. They fought, but unlike this time, once Zye had wounded it, they didn't withdraw the monster. He looked in its hateful eyes, filled with the same darkness that Zye had been filled with, as he extinguished its flame. Zye was sure his father had planned for it to be that way so that Zye would be set towards that bend for the rest of his life. It had worked.

"The first kill does change you," Zye said in agreement, "But after that, they do tend to blur together. One after the other, after the other, after the other," his voice trailed off, "And so it goes. But truly, its not too hard to know when to kill. You find those that stand in the way of security and peace, and you bring them down."

Zye's voice took a harder edge as he jerked his bottle downward, splatters of the substance fell out onto the floor and his own boots. He sighed and relaxed before shrugging it off. The vampire finished the bottle off, setting it on the ground. "Sometimes you don't have the luxury of deciding."

Lori looked to [member="Ultimatum"] while he spoke. He seemed very wise, though that could be with age. And she thought that she could see why her Mom praised him so. He was honourable, dangerous, yet intelligent. He was a lot like some of her Mandalorian guardians. Thank the Force he was on her side!

She looked to [member="Zye Woden"] as he spoke up about his gladness for not being her brother. "The feeling's mutual. That's all that I'd need is to have you trying to tell me what to do."

Lori watched as his demeanor changed somewhat while he spoke of killing. She watched as some of his gross blood drink fell on the floor. Now she knew why his clothes were so filthy. He was clumsy with his drinks. "I'll always have a choice. Even if I was forced into it, it'd be my choice to comply or not." And right now she wouldn't comply. She'd just knock her opponent out and then figure out what to do with them after.

At least, that was her plan.

Ultimatum would have disagreed with [member="Zye Woden"] stating that consecutive killing tended to blur the memories. He could, if he put his mind to it, recall each separate incident that involved the death, but then he had to keep in mind that he was a droid. Therefore his mental acuity was considerably the superior to most organics. It was one of the many factors Ultimatum had to remember that differentiated him from those that he spent most of his time with. It was an interesting development, that Ultimatum had rarely been in the company of solely robotic company for more than a few hours. Most beings tried to stick near to their own kind, something like a herd mentality perhaps. It had never been an issue for Ultimatum though, maybe that was because he had spent most of his early weeks without any droid to interact with. That had probably been for the best, since the only other computer intelligence within easy reach had been Ultimatum's brother, who had been developed a particular hatred towards Ultimatum.

Sye touched upon another difference between him and most organics. That was the timeframe of decision making. As a computer, a choice could be cognitively decided in milliseconds, while most organic minds required the same amount of time to reflexively respond. "Decision is the greatest responsibility of all life. No matter what the claim to no choice, the person is in command of their destiny. If they are given a choice of death or killing another, that is a choice."

[member="Loreena Arenais"]

Zye's face twisted to a visibly sick expression. He physically felt sick at the idea of spending 2,000 years with her​ as a sibling. Never before had he been so glad to be an only child.

"Believe me, the feeling is mutual," he said with genuineness, "I pity your parents, you pint-size space wreck."

Some people believe in love at first sight, Zye believed in dislike at first sight. Sometimes you didn't need a reason, and hate was surely not strong enough to describe such a feeling. This was one of those dislike at first sight moments. They were born rivals, he guessed. Or rivals by nature. He sighed.

"Well sure you can choose​, but one life versus the many isn't too hard of a choice," he conceded with a sigh. "On Iridonia I was faced with that choice often, and my life was hardly the determining factor. One Sithspawn versus the lives of entire villages. Not much of a choice now is it?"

((Sorry guys! I didn't realize that it was my turn >.< And here I thought you guys just forgot.))

Well, at least [member="Ultimatum"] agreed with her. She learned a long time ago in her short life that everyone always had a choice, and that sometimes they had consequences. Her mom and dad faced those every day. Maybe even Caedyn too. Right now though, Lori was coasting through life, never really finding herself in any real danger. But that'll change at some point, she knew. Until then she'll enjoy herself.

SPACE WRECK?!! Oh she'll have to get him for that one. Maybe she'll switch his drink when he wasn't looking! Yeah. And switch it with something that he'd find putrid. Do...whatever species he was...like blue milk? Some grown ups did, but most didn't. Maybe she'd throw some on him and then it'd get old and he'd smell even worse than he did now. Yeah...Yeah, that'll work. Of course she had to find the blue milk first.

"Might not be much of a choice, but it's still choosing.
And at least you chose the right one by saving people. Guess that means there's a little bit of good in you hiding from the rest of you."
Lori grinned as she teased [member="Zye Woden"] . From the holo-movies she's seen, scruffy men hated having things like that pointed out.

It was evident that [member="Zye Woden"] had, perhaps unintentionally, conceded the point. Ultimatum saw this lapse, even as [member="Loreena Arenais"] pointed it out. "You are correct. In such a case it is hardly a choice, a monster compared to that of the sentient. Though, would it remain so easy a choice if the Monster were in the right and the masses villainous?"

These sorts of conversations often interested Ultimatum, for they delved into the morality of organic kind. In his recent travels, the droid had discovered that many organics differed in their moral bindings, but that some specific areas were accepted broadly. Yet nowhere was there a universally accepted moral. More importantly, those morals would change over time, suggesting an instability that was indicative of a lack of firm conviction. Ultimatum took that as a sign that organics did not create a permanent moral code, and therefore Ultimatum had to look elsewhere for his morals. But he knew not where to seek such a law and consequently worked within the highest common denominator with some eccentricities of his own.

"Perhaps we could move to a more suitable location for this form of conversation? We may be hampering the repair crew's ability to work."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom