Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Coups?

Hello. This is my first suggestion on the site, I may have more but really, there's a good balance here, so I probably won't have any for a while.

The suggestion is Coups.

Real Examples: Historically, there have been many coups. Most notably, Napoleon's rise to power, and Fidel Castro's coup. A notable failed Coup: The Bay of Pigs invasion.

Goal of the Suggestion: An Alternative to Invading an enemy capital, as well as a new way for Minor Factions to strike a Major faction apart from Rebellions.

The Idea:

*Only Minor Factions may do Coups, and the target must be a Major capital hex/planet.

*The layout of a Coup is similar to a Rebellion, but requires more effort. Similar to how an Invasion is harder than a Dominion. It'll require more members than a rebellion, and more posts than a rebellion. This is to simulate how much more support and effort a coup takes compared to a rebellion.

*Like invasions, it must be discussed OOC before it begins. Cannot be during the holiday break (December 7-January 7)

*If successful, the Minor faction may take 7 hexes and go major, OR pick 5 hexes to become neutral. If it fails, the minor faction must wait 90 days before another attempted coup, and 30 before a rebellion to simulate the faction recovering from the failure.

I'm sure there are some holes that'll need to be patched before this can truly be considered, so please, tell me what you think :)

Totally A New Member
I think it's a bit rare of an occurrence, and wouldn't see much action. Rebellions don't see much action as it stands.

I'd like to see this more fleshed out, perhaps written as a ruleset before I really threw my head at it. Maybe, though... maybe there's a way to turn this into a Mandate that like, "morphs" Rebellions into "capital planet" targets only?

Like a faction could pick the Mandate and start becoming a kingmaker of capital planets, specializing in launching coups causing unrest on capital planets?

Hell, maybe the mandate would just form into "Instead of Invasions, this Major Faction can only initiate Rebellions."

Definitely Not Tefka Definitely Not Tefka

I like the idea of it being a Mandate...an interesting take. Really though, the idea was it's for Minor factions, not majors. Sure, a Major could...Bay of Pigs was backed by the U.S.

Maybe Majors can join, like invasions can ask for help from other factions?

But most coups are internal, not major nations doing it to others. Castro wasn't a Russian, he was Cuban, he had support from the populace and came outta nowhere (metaphorically) and took over. Minor factions are so overlooked, it'd be accurate.

The rarity actually helps the idea. Coups aren't commonplace, especially now. Apart from the Middle East, we don't really see them happen. A coup in Chaos would be a rare and exciting event.

Play around with it, morph it as you wish, or throw it aside, it's completely your call. I'll work on a ruleset as requested.

A coup -- in the nature that you're describing -- seems that it would work better as a series of faction threads versus something related to the map game.

I'm inclined to agree. Major factions have been coup-ing up on their own for ages. I feel like that trend should remain the same without the weight of extra rules, imo. Rebellions are explicitly unable to target Capitals, a strength capitals should maintain imo

Kiff Brayde Kiff Brayde Fatty Fatty

I appreciate the feedback, you two.

The only thing I'll say in disagreement is that the idea is for minor factions to have more options. They are minor, they have small armies, small fleets, etc. and they only have rebellions as a map game option. A rebellion on a capital would probably be bigger than a random planet, right? I mean if the capital is rebelling, there is probably some serious support for the movement faction-wide. So look at it as a rebellion, with bigger consequences.

Maybe we can add a rule to it where only subfactions can do it because subfactions have nothing. It makes sense a subfaction would want to break free and start their own faction.

Also, it gives a chance for Major factions to hurt other major factions without a direct invasion or dominion. They could start or help the coup. This gives variety instead of "punch, counterpunch" it can become "punch, roundhouse kick" lol.

Overall, we would gain:

*A new option for minor/sub factions
*Variety in the map game
*A more realistic scenario
*This is Chaos rp, let's make things a bit more chaotic. Dominions and invasions are great, but again, why not add something a bit new?

Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun

I think you might be thinking of things in terms that are too real, especially for chaos. Things like invasions and rebellions aren't decided by who has the biggest ship or largest enemy, it's about the story that you write. Minor Factions generally exist because they do not have enough writers to participate in the map game, or because they are a faction who does not want to participate in the map game. If a minor faction does wish to become major, all they have to do is apply and can start with any set of three empty hexes; there's no real gatekeeping to becoming a major besides available hexes (of which there are still plenty) and activity.

Kiff Brayde Kiff Brayde

Perhaps.

I still stand by the idea that it gives more options and can end up giving us some really interesting RPs. Imagine the Sith Empire backing a coup in the New Imperial Order. A smaller faction looking to go major could take the opportunity a boom. A small faction launching a rebellion with 3-5 sith writers backing it.

The stakes would be high....up to 7 hexes could be lost, as for the minor faction, they wouldn't be able to go major for months if they lose. The major faction backing the minor could have a restriction if it fails too...maybe a month where they can't invade, or fewer dominions in that month. They'd recoup faster than a minor but that way they lose something too.

Really, what I'd ask you, is Why Not implement it? Sure it could work as a bunch of threads for a faction, but that's internal. That could still happen even if coups are added. So why not add coups?

Heath Valhoun Heath Valhoun

Essentially you’re asking for a beefier rebellion. While I get where you’re coming from, if it follows the same or similar ruleset to rebellions, only Minor Factions can rebel... Major Faction backed rebellions are against site rules.

Your suggestion not only would add to the map game but require an edit to that rule which was put in place because an Admin from a major Faction abused a loophole which existed at the time, and while I can’t speak for site admins, I don’t see that rule being reversed.

Site rules also state that capital hexes cannot be subject to a rebellion, and the same would likely apply for a coups.

All in all while it’s a good thing to be thinking about, the idea is basically a rebellion already and that mechanic exists.

Keep up the creativity and welcome to chaos!!

Daegon Corvinus Daegon Corvinus

Thanks for the feedback.

All you just said...is exactly why it's a suggestion. I sent "definitely not Tefka" a draft of the rules. It's a bit different from Rebellions, and I'm awaiting his feedback.

Many or even most Suggestions would need a new rule or rule change, so that's not unreasonable.

Similarly, invasions are beefier dominions. Obviously an invasion is faction vs faction, a dominion is faction vs neutral, but otherwise they are very similar. Use that as a comparison.
Rebellions and Coups are very similar, but instead of a rebellion which involves just a minor faction, with no major faction aid, and cannot be used on capitals, a coup can be against capitals, and it can have a major faction send aid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom