Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coruscant Politics

Mauda

I sat in a lobby in the Senate building. I'd just returned from the lower levels with the stench of a malformed and very dead slaver flowing off me in waves to any force user so inclined. To the regular individual however, I probably looked quite sketchy.

I was running a sort of Empire, but certainly not the one I wanted. The Decentralised Equipment and Arms Dispersal was quite extensive both above and below Coruscant and it was making me a profit. But the Empire I had in mind was quite different to a money-making black market. Today, I was going to be talking politics.

I looked around and could still feel the influence of the Empire drifting among those who walked before me. Senators and Politicians of the New Republic all still had Palpatine and his merry band of troopers fresh in their minds. And the First Order was nothing but a cardboard cutout of that government that they all have had to stare at for the past few years since they crawled out of the Unknown Regions.

I suppose it all might come in handy. Everyone wants to see the Galaxy under control. It simply depends on who's idea of control reigns dominant. With this in mind I recently, and quite quietly put in an inquiry to talk to a politician or two who may have the same ideas as me. Or atleast someone who's bored of the Republic and frustrated by the First Order.

I sat, waiting to be approached by anyone who had heard the advertisement and was eager for something new.

"Thank you, Lacy. Keep it together, dear... say hello to your mother for me."

With a smile & a wave, Devlyn picked up his cup of steaming hot coffee, pivoting on a heel. A gentle rain trickled down around him, but he'd worn a long coat to protect him from the weather... Interspersed within the crowd, the Mayor of Coruscant knew his Security Team was nearby, but he preferred a certain air of approachability versus a secure bubble of protection.

The handsome, older gentleman sipped his coffee as he entered the Senate Building. Mayor Kane waved to the young man at the desk with a smile and was immediately recognized.

"Good morning, Mr. Mayor!"

"Morning, son. Is Councilwoman Skye in yet?" The building was warmer than outside, and the cup of coffee in Devlyn's hand steamed as he leaned against the desk. A pair of steady, azure-blue eyes regarded the man intensely as the guard glimpsed at one of his screens. "Not yet, sir... Want me to message you when she checks in?"

"That'd be fine. Any messages?" The guard indicated a negative, and Devlyn thought for a moment before blossoming into one of his familiar charming smiles. "Alright... Keep up the good work."

The Guard smiled and nodded, returning to the task at hand. Mayor Kane gathered himself, turning and walking deeper into the Senate Building. He was known for being approachable, unlike the planet's previous Mayor, and always welcomed a chance to talk business.

[member="Orex Mauda"]

Mauda

[member="Devlyn Kane"]

I was deep in thought and barely noticed the figure move through the main entrance. Quite consumed in an almost meditative stasis, I observed government drones and politicians. Looking upon them I felt nothing but frustration and hatred. As was my case with all things, and yet when I looked at these 'Officials', I felt as though they should be blamed. Something I should perhaps discuss.

I was sat nearby what I assumed was the receptionist and was awoken from my observations from a Stimuli I had done very well to avoid.

"Good Morning, Mr. Mayor!"

Mayor Kane. Certainly not exempt from my anger but not somebody I would think nor do good to harm or maim. I was well aware of his stance in Coruscant politics. A nice man, nicer than most. But politicians are all the same to me. He wasn't doing anything notable other than talking favourably.

I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer for a back-bench politician to heed my whispers. This was a perfect opportunity.

I stood, fastened the belt around my cloak and strode to match the Mayor's pace. Walking up beside him but careful not to be too close. This was the Mayor, and I was riddled with potential crimes and accusations.

"Mr. Mayor. Perhaps you have time for a drink and a small talk about Coruscant?"

The Senate Building was a hub of activity - abuzz with voices from countless worlds & regions of Coruscant. Mayor Kane was a familiar face, often visiting the Senate & the City Council; his offices were nearby at City Hall, similarly humming with activity at nearly all hours. Today, however, he had little reason to visit except for a social call to one of his comrades: Councilwoman Valerie Skye, one of the more powerful members of Coruscant's Elite. The woman had been instrumental in helping him win the election, and the two spoke often.

Devlyn had been walking, followed at a distance by three plain-clothes Security Operatives - dangerous men, skilled in remaining invisible until needed, and each of them loyal to a fault. Kane's popularity was considerable, but he still had many enemies. The Mayor noticed the man's presence as the two began walking side-by-side, and Devlyn immediately turned his head to regard the being - noting his demeanor.

Devlyn stopped, turning to face [member="Orex Mauda"] (Though he had yet to be introduced). With a glance, Devlyn disarmed his nearest Sec-man, then regarded the young man who'd addressed him; shifting his cup of coffee into his left hand and offering his right in a handshake. "Hello... Devlyn Kane. Who might you be?" He asked, wary yet curious.

Where most politicians would have kept walking, the Mayor of Coruscant had remained humble... and made his Sec-Team increasingly vocal in regards to his safety.

Mauda

As I squared with [member="Devlyn Kane"] I noticed his subtle nods and looks at what I had quite Naively assumed were other politicians. The Mayor wasn't alone, of course he wasn't. But that had little implication to me. I had no undesirable intentions.

Taking the Mayor's hand and offering a brief shake with a very firm grip, I considered my next words very carefully.

"Of course, where are my manners"

With a somewhat deliberate smile I proceeded to introduce myself.

"My name is Orex Mauda. I'm the CEO of Civtech. A growing company supplying civilian arms and equipment to the less capable citizens.
I was wondering if you had some time to spare?"

Devlyn gripped the man's hand firmly, implanting the name of both the company & its' CEO in his mind. "Mr. Mauda, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Considering his offer, Devlyn decided he had some time to spare... after all, he'd campaigned on a promise to improve Coruscant's economy, and was working on legislature to incentivise Corporations to lay foundations there. Offering the young man a smile, Devlyn answered: "Very well... Are you familiar with Galactic City?" He gestured down the hallway, indicating one of the side passages off the main hall. "Just around the corner is a small bistro, with some private tables. The food is good... simple, but good, and the coffee is fresh."

Before they began walking together, [member="Orex Mauda"] would suddenly find himself surrounded by three unassuming human men dressed in a similar fashion. Two of them were quite large & muscular, while the third was a full head taller & skinny as a whip. All three men were completely silent, saying nothing... and, other than a glance of recognition, were seemingly ignored by their boss. The tall, skinny man stayed close, while the other two took up rear positions. Mayor Kane patted the CEO on the arm, and began walking down the hallway in the direction he'd indicated.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The trip was short, and the small group found themselves entering a small open-air restaurant typically reserved strictly for members of the Senate & City Council, as well as countless attorneys, lawmakers, and personal assistants. The waiter seated Devlyn & Orex in a small private booth, while the Mayor's Security Detail faded into the background. For all intents & purposes, the two were alone.

Devlyn asked for a fresh cup of coffee, and his companion was free to order as he would.

"So, Mr. Mauda... Tell me, what can I do for you?"

Mauda

Being smothered in terms of space was something that sparked emotion like being slapped while hardly awake. But again, I wasn't about to make any unsavoury moves. I accompanied [member="Devlyn Kane"] to a quiet booth in an undisturbed part of Galactic City and watched carefully as his security drifted into the background.

I ordered a Coruscant Brandy and thought of what to say while enjoying a pleasurable vice.

"Thank you for taking the time to speak with me Mr. Kane. Now, let's talk Politics"

"Firstly, I have ambitions to solidify myself in the Coruscant political machine, but that's not necessarily what I wish to speak with you about. What I trust you're aware of is the state of Coruscant and in a broader sense, the state of the Galaxy. I feel both share a stark similarity. One of stagnation. I grew up in the lower levels of Coruscant and let me tell you, a childhood in the lower levels of the economic capital of the Galaxy is comparable to a droid's life in the bottom of Jabba's Palace, on a planet devoid of civilisation or indeed, money." Offering a slight chuckle to lighten the statement, I proceeded to lay out my ideals.

"What I mean to say, Mayor, Is that Coruscant hasn't changed, and nor has the Galaxy. We all wish to see Coruscant for what the tourist agencies market it to be. A haven for all. Not just those who can afford it. The lower levels are quite neglected and the people are abandoned, save for the faceless police who maintain some degree of order. Now I understand from a financial point of view why this is. Coruscant is a hub of immigration and it simply can't sustain the growth. But that doesn't mean it can't sustain those residing in the lower social class. The Galaxy is in a similar position. Stagnation. Those of us old enough have seen the horrors of the fight for power. If I could deliver a brief history lesson, There has been a Republic and a Sith Empire for every era. First the Jedi and Dark Jedi. Then the Republic and the ancient Sith Empire. Then our more recent Republic and the Galactic Empire and now, a sudden explosion in several different claims for power. Ranging from the Je'nai to the First Order. And here is you, Mr. Kane. Mayor of arguably the greatest city in the Galaxy, in the middle of cyclic conflict that never goes away. I think we both want whats best for Coruscant. We want Unity."

I relaxed my posture, sipped my brandy and with a small smile, opened myself to conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom