Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constitution and Charter of the Galactic Republic

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
Carida System
Carida
High Orbit
ISDIII Herald of Retribution
Flag Officer's Quarters

Although how I came to become a Senator in the Galactic Republic was quite a small tale of Imperialism and essentially installing a dictatorship guised as a Republic.
It was Ironic that my first piece of proposed legislation for the Senate and the Republic as a whole would be one of such elegant importance.
Every action I took now was in the name of my Empress Kista Fel and the benevolent spirit that she so sought to bring to the galaxy as a whole. While she and the Imperial Remnant may have been crushed by the Sith, I still lived to carry on that legacy.

Despite the fall of the Empire and its splintering I would seek what ever means necessary to bring about a better galaxy for us all.
Even if it meant engaging in the excruciating and painful experience that was democracy and its holistic values.

I felt my jaw clench and teeth grating against each other for a brief moment.
I took a breath. My thoughts drifted back to what core beliefs of her majesty lady Fel had wanted.
That is what will lend me strength.

What felt like an age had passed was merely several months now since the events that led to my rise in power over Carida. Since then though I had put to work a number of my former ISB friends to gather every piece of Republic legislation ever passed, failed, or simply didn't go anywhere.

A common theme arose that there was simply no longer a clear and definitive Constitution.
It was laughable almost comedic irony that I who wrote the Constitution for Carida that installed me into power would compose this draft to put forward to the wider the Republic to look over and pick apart.

I had spent countless hours sitting in front of the screens of my Room aboard the Retribution watching previous and current events. Hell I even turned the Fleet Combat Operations Center and the ship's Central Information Center into political think tanks.

In the end the result was taking the wheel and giving proper language and form.
Since the events of the former head of state Prime Minister [member="Geneviève Lasedri"] had brought so much chaos into the Republic's government I saw a need to ensure certain checks and balances.
I also felt that the amount discussion on how the government should function among different individuals had led to a very messy web of commonalities.

Again as I sit here not sipping away on some Yavin Jasmine Green Tea I could not help but feel like such a scoundrel to be a dictator and yet put forward such democratic legal work.
I guess power has privilege.

I had yet to actually show my face to the rest of the Senators.
Hell I haven't even met one in person since my self appointment to the position of Senator.
Still though after the recall of [member="Tonald Drump"] and the official seal put forth and accepted by the Senate as the representative of Carida it should come as little to no surprise that some up and coming new kid on the block would want to begin playing with the big kids.

I felt certain though that eventually I would likely be very much disdained or disfavored for my actions in how I achieved this position. Yet one does not simply put down the Imperial Mantle and forget where they came from over night.

Enough thought.

I transmitted on the official channel provided that would go to all the Senators.
It would read as such

//Republic Senatorial Message//
//From: Senator of Carida - [member="Caius Flavian"]//
//To: Senator of Tholatin, [member="Megàn Alestria"], Senator of Kashyyk - [member="Wrrlykam"], Senator of Pengalan - [member="Darion Blackstaff"], Senator of Alderaan - [member="Faith Balor-Organa"], Senator of Brentaal IV - [member="Ordon Trozky"], Chandrilla - [member="Miria Lasedri"], Senator of Arkania - [member="Khyros Sunblade"], Senator of Caamas - [member="Auru Taff"], Senator of Korda - [member="Salete Kel"], Senator of Hok - [member="Thalia Kaia"], Senator of Cartao - [member="Nick Sept"], Senator of Kirbi - [member="Suravi Teigra"], Senator of Umbara - [member="Geral Varta"], Senator of Tirahnn - [member="Xian Neet"], Senator of Azure - [member="Gael bar Ammon"]//
//Subject: A revision of our Constitution and Charter//
//<Greetings to you my fellow Senators>
<I, Caius A. Flavian, do hereby submit this draft of a newly revised and reformed Constitution and Charter.>
<I put this forward for your review and seek to ratify it soon as our new legal document for which we stand for.>

<The reasoning behind this is to simply update and revise based on the direction we are going as a galactic power and nation. I would like as much input as possible before pushing this forward as an official vote to ratify>
<I feel that the language below is sufficient to provide clear yet concisely details how our government shall operate fluidly while allowing for all Systems proper respect and sovereignty>

<I've incorporated language from previous bills and will cite them accordingly if requested.>//
Attached Document
Constitution and Charter of the Galactic Republic​

Article 1.
  • The State and Government of the Galactic Republic shall be composed of three branches: an Executive, Legislative and Judiciary.
  • The Executive branch is that of the Office of the Supreme Chancellor who is the Head of State and of Government that will oversee the ministries with which to run the government.
  • The Legislative branch is that of a unicameral congress that shall be here after referred to officially as the Senate of the Galactic Republic or simply the Senate.
  • The Judicial branch shall be headed by the Supreme Court presided over by three Justices.

Article 2.
  • The Senate is responsible for enacting laws and providing for: The common defense of all Republic systems. Senators may also hold cabinet positions as Ministers overseeing specific functions of the Government.
  • Any Senator may put forward a Bill and at which time all Senators may cast a single vote on the issue. All bills require a majority vote to pass.
  • A bill put forward has Seven Galactic Standard Days for all Senators to cast their vote or abstain.
  • Upon passing or failure to pass the Supreme Chancellor shall be present at the end to close the ballot and give an official announcement.
  • Senators may form committees of Peers (Senators), both standing and as necessary to hold accountable any aspect of the government and to focus and improve the needs of specific issues.
  • Senators may also hold the post as an Ambassador of the Galactic Republic to any foreign nation upon appointment by the Supreme Chancellor.
  • The Senate holds the power to declare war and may only do so if a majority two thirds vote is reached.
  • Senators may hold office until recalled by their constituency.
  • Systems may abstain from having representation.
  • A System who appoints their Senator may not have a representative who has committed treason or acts of aggression against the Galactic Republic.
  • The Senate must provide for the prosperity of the treasury by enacting a bi annual law which shall contain a budget necessitating and promoting the economy all Republic Systems.
  • Systems outside of Republic space shall petition for observer status and may seek representation through a sitting Senator who may act on their behalf.
  • Systems may join the Republic with full representation upon acceptance of all Laws enacted by the Senate.

Article 3.

• The Supreme Chancellor shall enforce the laws enacted by the Senate and upheld by the Supreme Court.
  • Shall hold the powers of Commander in Chief of the Republic Armed Forces. The Supreme Chancellor may also delegate these powers to an individual who upon appointment acts as the Supreme Commander of the Republic Military.
  • The Supreme Chancellor may mobilize forces as needed on a contingency basis for upwards of 23 Galactic Standard Days at which time the Supreme Chancellor must put forward to the Senate a Declaration of War.
  • The Supreme Chancellor may propose Laws in the same fashion as a Senator.
  • The Supreme Chancellor may only vote on bills or motions in the event of a dead lock
  • The Senate may impeach the Supreme Chancellor on a vote of no confidence. This requires a two thirds majority without abstention.
  • If the Supreme Chancellor is incapacitated or deceased while in office the Senate will hold an emergency session to elect a new Supreme Chancellor who shall serve out the remainder of the predecessors term.

Article 4.
  • The Judicial branch shall be composed of a three tier legal system.
  • The highest tier shall be the Supreme Court composed of three Justices.
  • A Justice may be appointed by the Senate and approved by the Supreme Chancellor
  • A Justice may be nominated by the Supreme Chancellor and approved by the Senate.
  • A Justice may be recalled by a two thirds majority vote in the Senate.
  • A Justice may resign after two years.
  • A Justice may not hold another government position while appointed to this one.
  • The Judicial branch must ensure that all laws that pass in the Senate are fair and reasonable and do not violate or intercede with previous laws enacted..
  • The Judicial branch may call forward any citizen or enemy found to have committed high crime or treason against the Galactic Republic.
  • The second tier shall be the Sector Courts composed of a single Judge which oversees a designated zone of space referred to as a Sector which shall encompass all Systems within.
  • Sector Judges shall be appointed by the Ministry of Justice with the approval of the Supreme Court.
  • The Sector Judge is responsible for all Inter system crimes not deemed to be high crime or treasonous.
  • The Sector Judge shall also mediate disputes between systems as needed.
  • The third tier is recognized as the laws of which the sovereign systems each hold and any laws broken within a system shall be considered a local court system.

Article 5.
  • The official state organized force user and religion of the Galactic Republic shall be recognized as the Jedi Order.
  • Jedi may act as official Ambassadors of the Galactic Republic appointed by the Supreme Chancellor and approved by the head of the Jedi Order.
  • Jedi may act as legal counsel on behalf
  • All force users and religious organizations within the sovereign territories of the Republic may practice freely unless doing so causes damage, wanton death or undue influence upon citizens of the Republic.
  • A force user or those with the affinity for the force may seek representation in the government as a Senator for their system.
  • A force user or Jedi may join the Armed Forces upon approval of the head of their order and that of the Armed Forces.

Article 6.
  • The Galactic Republic shall maintain a standing Armed Force at all times to defend the sovereignty of the nation at home and abroad.
  • All Systems may provide for their own defense.
  • The Office of the Supreme Chancellor is the Commander and Chief of the Armed Forces.
  • The Supreme Chancellor may delegate these powers as he or she sees fit by appointing a member of the Armed Forces to position of Supreme Commander and is confirmed by the Senate by a simple majority..
  • The Senate, upon a two thirds majority, may remove the Supreme Commander and request the office of the Supreme Chancellor
  • There shall be a Navy whose role is to ensure that the trade lanes are kept secure and free for passage of all trade both at home and abroad. Who shall project, as necessary, the power of the Republic in the defense of its Sovereignty. The Navy shall be headed by a Grand Admiral
  • There shall be an Army whose role is to safe guard the planetary atmospheres of our systems and to defend the sovereignty abroad as necessary. The Army shall be headed by a Grand General
  • The Senate is responsible for raising and maintaining the Armed Forces of the Republic.
  • There shall be a cadre of officers who shall be commissioned, after obtaining substantial training and education, under oath to defend the Galactic Republic until such a time as their commission has ended.
  • Any citizen may enlist as a service member in the armed forces.
  • No system may bar its people from seeking to serve in the Armed Forces.
  • The Galactic Republic shall not conscript citizens.

Article 7.
  • A citizen is recognized as any Sentient who was born, created, or willingly pledged without duress their allegiance to the Constitution and Charter of the Galactic Republic.
  • The Galactic Republic upholds the Rights of Sentience and shall affirm that there shall be full and equal freedom of all sentient beings.
  • Enslavement or indenturing of another sentient being is considered a crime worthy of treason if performed by a Citizen of the Galactic Republic.
Article 8.
  • This charter may be amended by the Senate at any time.

OOC: Hey so I'm putting this forward simply as a means of incorporating a lot of the ideas we have floating around here on how the government shall be. Things have been noticeably organically growing and our old Charter is now some dated. Here it is! Please put forward In Character all reasoning or changes needed to improve the language. This isn't yet a vote but more of a draft.
Note a lot of things such as a Judicial branch and sector judges can be NPCs who can be rped with Faction Admin approvals and such until we find people who are interested in that sort of stuff. I feel it gives more wiggle room and more opportunity for new character paths.
I also would like to see the return of the old Sector Rangers to assist in law and order enforcement.
This is inspired by [member="Faith Balor-Organa"]'s draft and that of our old Charter from back in the day.

Gael had been seated in the office for Azure's senator, facing the large wall of window behind his desk. There was an audible beep indicative of incoming transmission. He rotated his chair 180 degrees to face his desk and open the incoming message. From [member="Caius Flavian"], Senator of Caridia, a proposal for a new constitution and charter for the Republic. He opened the attached document and examined it thoroughly. On a separate monitor, he prepared a response to Caius, and only Caius.

To: Flavian, Caius
//RE: A REVISION OF OUR CONSTITUTION AND CHARTER - UNCLASSIFIED [FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY]//

Senator Flavian,

I've looked over the proposed charter. I'm impressed with the work you have put into it. However, that does not bar myself from having concerns about some of the language. Below are some notes I have pertaining to my concerns and concerns.

I am not fully convince the Republic is equipped to fill all roles of government which are listed in the charter. There has been a historical precedent that trials would be presided over by the Office of the Supreme Chancellor. As it stands, I presently believe this to be the best path for us to take. Consequently, I do not see the need for the implementation of a separate judiciary.

I am, however, an advocate of accountability. One standing committee I would like to propose as a caveat to the ratification of the charter is the Senate Oversight and Accountability Committee, composed of no less than three and no more than five sitting members. Details can be fleshed out later, but the committee's role should be self-explanatory from the name.

I would also like to propose that in the absence of a designated representative of a system - a senator - that a system may, upon approval from the Senate, represent itself through another party. This party can be (but is not limited to) an emissary, envoy, representative, head of state, or other designated government official which would receive all the rights and benefits of a Senator of the Galactic Republic.

I would also like to suggest the notion of abdicating legislative seats in order to obtain those within certain ministries and offices of the executive. This would prevent any one individual or office from having too much power as well as prevent possible conflicts of interest.

We should bring this to the floor as soon as possible not necessarily to vote on right away, but to debate among a larger audience. I believe that this way we will achieve results fastest.

Regards,

Gael bar Ammon
Senator of Azure
Ambassador to the United Clans of Mandalore

//NOTHING FOLLOWS//
Gael had proofread his message before sending. It looked good. Didn't include as much as he would have liked, but it was a large and significant document. It would need to be discussed in person, not via electronic transmission.

Sent.

Gael breathed a heavy sigh and continued on with his duties, but not before appreciating the view behind him once more.

Martika Varta

Senator, Umbara; Committee on Civics & Infrastruct
"I've got several revisions, what about you?" Martika looked across the rim of his mug at his aide, Eila Noron. The Umbaran woman nodded, resting her own cup of caf on the table between them and, lifting her datatablet, began to read. "Article Two, Five, and Seven. Did you see it?" Martika nodded, "I did indeed, and I concur. I was never comfortable with a two-thirds majority for war declarations. Makes war too...easy an option. The question is...do we include policing actions in Republic or foreign territories?"
Eila shook her head. "Modern geopolitical discourse would discourage the notion of interventionism." Martika sipped at his caf. "Despite the Sith threat?" Eila frowned. "Perhaps not in this case...but assistance must be requested via official channels from the victim population." Martika smiled. "Brilliant. Next...I find Section One, Article Five, rather disturbing. State-sanctioned religion...that's a touchy subject, as the government is supposed to remain secular, don't you agree?"
Eila nodded, "Of course, the Jedi Order identifies as a religious organization and therefore cannot be sanctioned by the government above others, regardless of the benevolence of their views. I'm guessing your final remark is in regards to the charges of treason? Article Seven?" Martika confirmed with a nod. "I feel the word is thrown around all too often and too easily. Draft it, and send it up the wire." Eila got to work, completing a communique to [member=Caius Flavian] several minutes later. Martika read the message and approved it before Eila sent it off to Flavian's staff.

"Article 2: Senator Varta's office recommends a 3/4th majority for Senatorial declarations of war. The Senator from Umbara feels that such a weighty decision ought not be so easy to make and that a greater proportion required to pass a vote for war declaration will secure more efforts toward peaceful resolution.
Article 5: As a secular government, the Galactic Republic cannot be seen instituting state-sponsorship of any religious organization or religious ideology. The support of the Jedi Order is a unique case, but one that ought to remain separated from the religious aspect of their organization.
Article 7: Senator Varta's office suggests the removal of treason as a resultant charge for breaching anti-slavery laws. The Senator feel the term treason in this context is an improper usage that does not reflect the nature of treasonous action against the democratically elected government."

[member=Caius Flavian]

Faith read the proposal new charter, how many times were they going to do this, how many times had they done it already, every new Senator that walks through door decides they have the newest and greatest idea for running the government.

They had just got rid of the complicated document that only a Lawyer from Coruscant could understand. And now here was another..

Faith began making her notes. They should do research before submitting these documents.

Senator [member="Caius Flavian"]

I have read over your document and note the following -

Article 5 –
Are you saying you would not recognize any Jedi other than those that serve the Galactic Republic? There are Jedi that are not members of the “Jedi Order” and yet are still Jedi.

Article 6
This is what caused problems with the Prime Minister, she had control of the military without the Supreme Commander, that is how she took control shutting out the Senate and ordering the military into action. She nulled the Supreme Commander, and took over. Need to rethink this part all together.

Senate is responsible for raising the army? The navy? What you want us selling war bonds, and telling members they have to send people to serve? We aren’t the Empire. Yet you also say the Republic will not conscript citizens. Sounds like a conflict of wording

Minister of Intelligence
Faith Balor-Organa

OOC – this is a bit over complicated for role playing in my opinion

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
Carida System
Carida
High Orbit
ISDIII Herald of Retribution
Flag Officer's Quarters

I had left this matter for a few weeks.
Primarily to focus on domestic matters of my constituency.
Patience was an utmost requirement in dealing with statecraft.
It was why I had posited these reforms to the language to the entirety of the Senate.
This way I could once again revise and incorporate the ideas of many of my fellow Senators.
Oddly enough it was interesting to note that only a few Senators had replied back.
That was fine.
I was certain it was because many of them were busy handling domestic affairs like I had.
I read through the emails.
Carefully I crafted my response to each senator and the minister, individually, to address their concerns.

//To: Senator of Azure - [member="Gael bar Ammon"]//
//RE: A revision of our Constitution and Charter//

Senator bar Ammon,

Thank you for the steadfast reply.
The concerns are much warranted.
Ideally keeping government streamlined while also maintaining proper checks and balances to keep from
corruption is prudent.
As someone who hails from an Imperial background I've first hand witnessed and myself have been apart of the summary of full
executive and legislative controls.
On paper the old visage of Moff seems to make sense but once the factor of sentience and our emotional needs are injected into it corruption is boundless.
Enough of history though for a moment.

As for the Republic, yes I certainly agree that the perhaps the ability to hold two seats of power shall lead to conflicts of interest.
Abdication of a Senatorial seat to assume a Ministerial position is most reasonable.
Committees, perhaps language that differentiates the role of committees.
Standing committees are permanent, with Select committees which can be stood up for particular matters not covered by a standing committee.

Standing committees should be in order to work with the Ministers.
I would like to form an Armed Services Committee that works with both the Minister of Intelligence and Supreme Commander to draft the
budgetary requirements necessary to execute our national security interests. It ideally should be standing committee of seated Senators.

Other committees we could form would function similarly, one for Commerce that oversees domestic and foreign trade working in concert with the Foreign and Interior ministers.
Ideally the Commerce committee shall help draft contracts of trade routes which shipping companies can bid for. I hope that we can reinvigorate our economic situation both here at home and abroad with this committee.

Lastly, our constitution already has the judicial branch in service, I feel that we are putting to much power in the supreme chancellor with perhaps allowing him or her to ability to pardon as conciliatory means.
I simply want to streamline our Supreme Court.

(OOC: Previously the Supreme Court or judicial branch was a mechanism for the Faction Admins to put a pause on ratifying bills or things that may have adverse narrative effects for the Republic writer base; Ideally these seats should be NPC staffed as I doubt we'll get someone to role play a Supreme Court Justice)

//To: Senator of Umbara - [member="Geral Varta"]//

Senator Varta,

Thank you for the insightful reply!

For your first concern about Article 2.
I highly agree with you on this matter.
I'll rewrite the language to reflect a 3/4th majority.
You are most certainly correct.

As for article five.
The Old Republic had supported the Jedi Order for thousands of years.
Known as the Republic's defenders of democracy.
I would argue that to deny the fact that the Republic uses Jedi as representatives both at home and abroad is already enough of a state-sponsorship.
I would surmise that if Jedi were to be used in capacities of state function it would have to have approval from both the Supreme Chancellors office and the of course
the head of the Jedi Order.
There are plenty of checks and balances already involved with them.

Lastly to article seven.
Treason is typically viewed as strictly an overt act such as war or adhering to our enemies giving aid and comfort.
The infringement upon the rights of sentient beings is something that I hold in very high regard as an activity which is tantamount of treason.
To be an outlaw means you are an enemy of the state.
Simple as that.
To willingly impress another into forfeiting their free will is something we have outlawed, any citizen who breaches this should face just punishment.
Those outside our sovereignty should be viewed as negatively as possible such as those of the Hutts and other worlds which do so.
But I concede to your wisdom that treason may not be the best of applicable words to apply in this situation.

//To: Minister of Intelligence - [member="Faith Balor-Organa"] //

Minister Balor-Organa,

I very much appreciate the candid response to this draft.
Most especially from you considering the clout that you carry within the Republic Government.

First to article five.
Arguably the Jedi have always served the Republic in an official capacity.
To answer you concern though, Yes.
The head of the order of those currently already serving the Republic [member="Mantic Dorn"] would be charged with responsibilities
of vetting those Jedi who can appropriately serve the Republic.
I'm not saying that all Jedi will be empowered to act as agents of the Republic, only those whom are approved by the grand master
of their order.
I'll revisit this section to improve its language to clearly define it.

Article six.
Well Minister I would argue that we simply do not handwavium and produce things out thin air like some force users I know can.
My own varied history was as an officer in the Imperial military under Empress Kista Fel last monarch of the Fel Empire.
I can tell you from experience that a strong economy is a necessity to procuring the ships that keep the enemies of the state from overrunning us.
We cannot rely entirely on our allies to simply show up to guard our doors and skies.

It also has always been a primary component of governance that the legislative branch is responsible for the appropriation of taxes and drafting a budget which
will give way to function and frame work for all the mechanisms of our Republic to operate in.
Yes it may seem a bit much but our job as Senators is ensure that not only is our constituency represented but also the needs of the whole republic are met.

One of those primary means is defense.
As a former Imperial Officer I am well aware of the differences of an all volunteer force versus that based on a system on conscription.
The language perhaps did not convey that the Army and Navy shall be raised as an all volunteer force.
It is up to us as Senators to properly provide the incentives and benefits for our citizens to join up and serve our Republic in its armed forces.
Even then though I have provided a means in our constitution that individual systems have the sovereign right to raise their own self defense forces and contribute them to the greater cause.
For example my own constituency of Carida would lend its own System Defense Force in direct aid to nearby military engagements.
I am in no way suggesting though that Senators or the very worlds they represent are compelled to send its people to serve.
I am providing language that if a citizen, say of Alderaan for example, wanted to join the Republic Armed Forces, they should not be barred from doing so.

Arguably the matter of the Prime Minister's actions is the result of a failure of checks and balances.

(OOC: I guess, but I mean we are politicians so jabber jabber jabber jabber!!! ^_^ )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom