Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Cold Trails on Kirdo

Tides of Change

MOSHED-2023-2-4-15-8-26.jpg

7BUIiLq.png

"How about a drink, Master Jedi?" the barkeep said with a thick accent. He gave a dark liquor bottle a convincing shake, and Elias couldn't help but smile.

"You know I don't drink the hard stuff," he said. "Have anything less... potent? I am on a mission, after all."

The barkeep grunted, swapping out the liquor for a kinder brew made with local herbs and spices. He poured a tall glass and slid it to Elias, who in turn tossed a few silver Talons his way. It was surprisingly comfortable in the Whistler's Landing, considering it was little more than a ramshackle slave camp only a few months ago. Since liberating the Kitonak and driving Eclipse offworld, the Rimward Rangers had been busy. From the ground up, they refurbished this old freighter and turned it into an outpost that conveniently doubled as a watering hole for travelers and merchants.

Elias washed down the late-evening heat with a refreshing mouthful of agave beer, thinking about the complexity of his mission.

It was actually the Eclipse Consortium that brought him back to the dune seas of Kirdo. He was following up on a lead uncovered by the Jedi Spectres, one that pointed to a collaboration between the slavers and a cell of Sith warlords. Elias had returned to explore the old freighter for any clues. Whether any remained after the Ranger's occupation, however, was another story.

Tags: Rann Thress Rann Thress

"Why does the galaxy have so many sandy hellholes?" Rann said quietly to himself, swiping the sand from his tailored outfit as he entered the local drinking spot of Whistler's Landing. In heat like this, he lamented that most of his wardrobe consisted of black, black, and yet suprisingly more black clothing, with the scant golden trim doing very little to dissuade the heat from focusing on him like a magnifying glass. The dingy freighter was a welcome change to the unforgiving outside world, and the Sun wasn't even out.

Worlds like this made him miss the climate of Onderon, of Home. Sure it wasn't paradise but the heat here was so...different. A tinge of sadness entered his heart, thinking about where he was, where he'd come from, who he'd lost and who'd lost him in turn. How long had it been since he'd seen anyone he actually knew? The Confederacy was LONG gone by this point. His father? Who knew. His siblings? Well he only ever cared about one, and he hadn't seen Damsy Callat Damsy Callat in...who knows how long. Yet here he was. Close to old CIS space, closer than he'd ever like to be.

All these thoughts, and countless others, seemingly overrode Rann's nervous system, guiding him to the bar and nearest open spot next to a man drinking a tall glass of...something.

"Bartender, I'll take one of whatever he's having, open a tab." Rann said as he shuffled up to the bar, reaching into his robe and pulling out a credit chit. One that...probably wouldn't have too much spending power these days. The bartender walked up with a glass filled with the same liquid the stranger was drinking, and looked down at the chit with an eyebrow raised, before he laid his hand on top of it and pulled it towards him off the bar. "Sure, fella." the bartender said, looking down at the card again before tossing it down behind the bar somewhere Rann couldn't see. Not that Rann cared, but he did care a little bit that the bartender kept shooting him slight glances. Rann got the impression this place typically didn't do tabs. Places like this liked to get their money up front, and probably something a little more....real. And the fact Rann looked like he walked straight outta Designer Robes Monthly with his expensive outfits, he was sure he stuck out like a sore thumb and gave off city boy vibes. Again, not that Rann cared. A literal wave of his hand later and this same bartender'd be walking Rann out with a smile on his face, a free bottle of whatever's on the top shelf, and a few credits to boot.

But for now, Rann glanced at the bartender then back down at his drink. "Local flavor?" he asked seemingly to no one in particular, and Genesis, his wrist mounted Virtual Intelligence companion, beeped up with his 8-bit smiley face blinking on. "Agave beer?" he asked, "Well alright. It's not Chandrilan Blue, but what is?" He asked again, taking a quick swig. It was lighter than he expected. Worlds like this he expected some back room swill that could kill a Rancor. But this was...comparatively pleasant. Not the best tasting beer, but far from the worst. He placed his drink back down and looked to the man who'd inspired his choice and studied him. "Someone orders something like this, in a place like this, you're not a local. Can't be." He turned his back to the bar and gazed around at the cantina surrounding him. Rowdy locals celebrating a hard days work, dusty dirty and grimy. "So I'm curious. I didn't mean to be here, but you clearly did. That's curious." He wondered to himself if the man was law enforcement of some nature. To be here, in a bar, after working hours on a dirtball like this and not getting blasted?

He should have been a bit cautious, but all he felt was curious.

"What is it, school night or something?" He asked, turning back and taking another drink of his drink.

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

7BUIiLq.png

“Perhaps,” Elias answered the black-clad gentleman. He took another sip, his eyes fixed on the tall glass that drew ever nearer to half-empty.

“I’ve been here before, helped make this place possible,” he mused, “but I’m a warm-blooded Genetian.” He looked at the man with curiosity of his own, noting the stark contrast between a rusted freighter-turned-outpost and the sable finery he wore.

“Not a local either, are you?”

But neither did he seem like a noble. Elias couldn’t quite place him, and even though he resonated through the Force, the newcomer felt surprisingly placid. Was he a Jedi? Only time would tell. Elias took another sip of beer.

“Are you sightseeing around the League, or has something else drawn you to Kirdo?”

Elias would easily admit that this dustball hadn’t recalled him on account of its endless dunes, Imperial war-bands, and aged agave beer. The machinations of Eclipse beckoned his return. And despite the odds, he thought he may find clues in the unused sections of this freighter. Something had to be here, right under their noses.

He wondered if his barmate was after something, too.

Rann couldn't help but let out a small chuckle,
"No. Not a local at all." Rann took another sip of his drink and placed it back down on the bar. "Just a small pitstop, I guess." He answered with a shrug, picking his drink back up and leaning on the bar when he felt something twinge in the Force and reached out himself. He felt something in this stranger, and immediately, he straightened, placed his drink back on the bar without taking a drink and glanced a side-eye at the mans waist-band, looking for a lightsaber before sliding his hand closer to his own. Jedi? he thought, pulling his fingers into fists.

He had heard stories as of late that the Jedi have been....a bit more volatile. Suddenly, the thought that this stranger might just be looking for Rann or someone like Rann was everywhere in his mind. Rann turned his head to look at the man, "So what are you doing here?" He asked, point blank.

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

7BUIiLq.png

Tension. Sudden, chaotic tension. Elias could sense it, but he couldn't place its purpose. The gentleman looked at him hard.

"So what are you doing here?"

"Tending to some unfinished business," Elias answered cautiously. He downed the last of his drink, then turned to face the man. Something had set him off. Elias could sense it. Turbulent, paranoid tension. He decided to chance a small revelation.

"I'm not here on official Jedi business," he explained. "This is a personal matter. I'm not here for you."

He hoped it would be enough to settle the man's mind, but he braced for the inevitable follow-up question of what he came here for? Elias felt natural apprehension about opening up to someone new, but he'd done so in the past with Nathan Bloodscrawl Nathan Bloodscrawl and made a friend where only a stranger was before. They'd served alongside one another in several battles since, and Elis considered the man a good friend now.

Perhaps this gentleman beside him would be an ally, too.

Upon hearing that the Jedi wasn't there for him, Rann relaxed if only just slightly. Assuming everything the Jedi said was true, for what reason would Rann worry?

Attending to unfinished business? Rann had never been here before. And it's not like the Jedi was here specifically for him because he was here before Rann showed up.

Still, though, Rann kept on guard. Just because he wasn't a mission target doesn't mean he wouldn't be a target of opportunity, and suddenly he was glad the drink before him was a light one, reaching down and taking it in hand before drinking.

"Okay.." he said, finally.

"Alright, Jedi business is none of mine. Typically I try to avoid your kind as much as I can." he said, relaxing his fists, but still keeping his guard up. "But a Jedi, here, at a small out-of-the-way watering hole like this is...odd. From what I've been hearing recently, Jedi have been on the hunt for..." He paused, considering his words carefully, "...for a while. So what could possibly be here that would warrant one's attention, I wonder? Even if it's none of my business, I have to admit I am curious."

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

7BUIiLq.png

"I'm looking for something," Elias said in a low voice. He raised a finger to order another drink, then cut his eyes to the stranger when the barkeep was busy.

"This place, the Landing... it used to be a slave camp. They kept scores of Kitonak here, caged like animals. My sources say-" he paused, allowing one of the closer bar patrons to step out of earshot. He continued in a hushed tone.

"My sources say that the Eclipse Consortium who ran slaves in this sector had darker connections. Sith."

It wasn't the first time the Dark Side utilized slaves to complete its bidding, nor would it be the last. The Trade League was well accustomed to fighting slavers and their benefactors, no matter who they may be, but the timing of it all was suspicious. The Sith Order had only recently attacked the Jedi Praxeum on Ossus, and before that, they meddled in the temple ruins on Sullust. They were after something, and Elias was determined to find it first.

Kirdo III was the first of many dots that needed to be connected to the larger picture.

"I'm here in search of clues. Data, intelligence, anything that could tie Eclipse to the Sith Order. If I can find a link here, I can follow it to other outposts the League has raided in the past."

Sith.

Rann grimaced upon hearing that word. He supposed it should come as no surprise. A Jedi hunting anything to do with a Sith was a tale as old as time. Rann finished his drink and signaled the bartender to give him another before turning to look at the Jedi, pondering what to say and do next. The jedi had been incredibly open, and Rann was thankful. In a way, the stranger had confirmed Rann's suspicions that he was here for Sith, but Rann did not fit that bill specifically, nor did he have anything to do with or know anything about the Eclipse Consortium or this Sith Order.

"Sith." he repeated with a small smile, turning back to take a small drink. "Trouble, wherever they are. Honestly I'd have thought they'd be all dead or hang up the 'sabers. Last I heard...like I said last I heard the Jedi have been.....diligent."

He took another drink and turned back to the Jedi, "Thanks for telling me. It does...It makes me feel better. I don't like slavery. I'm...not particularly a fan of any new Sith Order." He turned to look at the patrons of the bar, "I'd rather they stay buried. People deserve their peace after a days work." He turned back towards the bar and chugged the remainder of his drink. "While I'm here I may as well try to help, if you need it."

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

7BUIiLq.png
Elias gave the man a genuine smile.

“I’d appreciate another set of eyes,” he said. He knew that Rhiza Dural Rhiza Dural and the rest of the Jedi Spectres would rebuke the idea of bringing a stranger in on such a delicate investigation, but Elias wouldn’t have accepted a hand if he didn’t trust it.

And something told him that Rann Thress Rann Thress would offer more help than hinderance.

“As I said, this freighter used to serve as a holding place for slaves. If there’s any link between the Consortium and the Sith, it’d be hidden in the ship’s databanks. The only trouble is…”

Sand? Structural integrity? Potential agents in hiding? The list could go on.

“…if it were left in the open, the Rangers would have found it and turned it over to the Trade League by now. I suspect any evidence left is buried in chambers of the ship left inaccessible by debris from the crash, decades ago when the freighter was first brought down by the Empire.”

So much history was here, compounding and deepening as this region changed hands over the years. Hopefully the League would hold onto Kirdo for a long while, but such things are never certain in the Outer Rim.

“Well then,” he said, slogging the last gulp of beer, “shall we be off?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom