Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Circle of Healing [solo]

cdx.locations.voss.voss_ka.png

Valae Kitra stood near a rocky cliff, looking down at the serene landscape of Voss. It was a nice day, the skies mostly clear and the sun beaming down softly. Letting out a content sigh, Valae turned her gaze in the opposite direction, towards the mountaintop city of Voss-ka. Perched far in the distance there was a temple that spiraled skyward -- her destination. While she had been staying at the Silver Temple, Valae had become intrigued with the healing ritual of the Voss. She had let the last few years slip by without dedicating much time to studying and furthering her own skills, but she knew that it was time to change.

And so, here she was.

Bright-eyed and ready to learn. There was a renewed spark within that seemed to guide her now, and Valae was determined to follow. Though she had spent quite a lot of time on Voss, she had never truly done any exploring. Her worn-out boots started walking, carrying her at a leisurely pace towards the city high up on the horizon. Valae tucked her hands into the pockets of her trousers, and hummed an upbeat tune to help pass the time. There was still a bit of distance to close, plenty of time for quiet reflection.

It was still surreal to be back among the numbers of the Silver Jedi, she had to admit. But it was nice, there was a familiar feeling of warmth here. Time had changed the order, and Valae was sure that it had changed her, too. She had first arrived on Voss with the former Grandmaster himself, shy and meek. Even now, she still struggled with the shadows of self-doubt, but she hoped to be stronger in her resolve. Valae knew that there would be moments where her skills and courage would be tested, this time she would not fail.

After a fairly decent walk, Valae found herself at the gates of the temple of the Mystics. There were two sentinels standing guard, each with blue-hued skin and the orange eyes of the Voss. As Valae stepped forward, the guards did as well. Their faces were quite stony and serious, hands hovering over the weapons holstered at their hips. It was quite obvious that they were wary of visitors, so she proceeded with caution. A kind smile appeared on her face and she raised her hand in greeting.

“State your business here,” One of them said, his eyes focused on Valae.

“My name is Valae Kitra, I am one of the Jedi from the Silver Temple.” No doubt, they would know it. “I have come to request training, I have an interest in the healing ritual practiced here.”

She stood still, her hands visible and dangling non-threateningly at her sides. It would be clear that she had come unarmed, but she would submit to further searching, if called for. Chestnut eyes watched as the two guards exchanged words, but she remained a respectful distance. After a moment of waiting, she was pleased when the sentinels stepped to the side to allow her to enter.

“Speak to the elder inside,” The second guard spoke, his hand gestured towards the entrance.

Valae offered a small nod as thanks and moved through the stone doorway. The temple of mystics was vast and decorated in a pristine, peaceful way. There were windows that let streams of light inside, the gentle rays reflected off the polished marble floors beneath her boots. There were a number of robe-clad Voss moving about inside, healers and seers, she supposed. And it was not long before she was greeted by a stately being, his dress more elaborate than the rest…

Valae followed as the Elder Mystic led her down a long hallway. The other Voss that traveled the corridors bowed and stepped aside, it was clear that this made was held in high esteem. A right turn brought them into a small chamber, and then to opposite sides of a sturdy wooden desk. Valae lowered herself into the chair and watched as the man took a seat across from her. His eyes were solemn, his expression quite serious and contemplative. And based on what she had seen so far, the Elder was a man of very few words.

“Jedi, why should we reveal to you our ritual?” He said, finally.

Swallowing audibly, Valae shifted in her seat. She had heard that the Voss did not consider themselves among the Jedi or the Sith, but more gray in their use of the force. But as she matched his gaze, she did not sense any ill-will. Naturally, he was curious as to her purpose here.

“Well, sir…” She cleared her throat quietly, “I am studying the healing arts myself, and I have heard about the healing ritual many times. It is something I would love to witness.”

“And you will use this knowledge to benefit your Jedi colleagues?”

Yes – but not just the Jedi. I would use it to help any that need it.” Valae said, her tone clear and strong. “As a healer, I don’t turn anyone away.”

As she opened her mouth again, the Elder held his palm up. Amber eyes seemed to gaze directly through her. After a few moments spent in silence, the Voss nodded his head slowly to signal that he understood, and stood to his feet once more. He motioned for Valae to do the same, and made for the door.

“Come with me, Jedi.”

Valae stood quickly and followed at the Elder’s heels. They passed through quiet halls; the only sounds were their footsteps and the rustle of the Voss’ robes. Her eyes glanced around curiously, unsure where she was being taken. The pair came to a halt near a large window, the view opened up onto a large garden outside. It was a perfect picture of natural beauty and serenity. The Elder breathed a soft sigh, and turned just slightly to face Valae.

“The healing ritual is a most ancient practice,” He said. “It is special because it uses the power of many.”

Looking up to see the Mystic Elder’s face, Valae listened as he began to speak. Needless to say, she could understand the power of this ritual. There was might in unity and working towards a common goal.

“This type of healing is potent. It can bring one back from the brink of death.” The Elder continued.

Valae blinked, she had heard of such instances. But the thought was still a bit mind-boggling. When she turned towards the Voss, she realized that he was no longer standing there by the window – he was already in motion. Moving swiftly, Valae caught up to him as he turned down a long hall. Once more, there was silence and an air of mystery.

She opened her mouth to speak, but pressed her lips together. It didn’t seem right to break the silence just yet. For now, she would simply follow.

The Voss Elder brought Valae to a halt outside a large chamber. His hand swept forward, motioning for her to go inside. From the doorway, she looked inside. There was a shimmering pool of shallow water and dim light that danced on the surface. A few cushions sat positioned around the edges of the pool, and the sound of a small fountain was all that could be heard.

“Please, go inside.” He spoke, “I will go gather the others, so that you may experience the ritual. If you will sit and mediate while you wait, prepare yourself for what is to come.”

With that, the Elder disappeared back down the hallway, robes rustling all the way. Valae stepped inside the chamber and made her way over to a cushion. As she lowered herself down to sit cross-legged, she caught sight of her reflection in the water. It was almost like gazing into a mirror. What did she see? Well, she saw a simple woman from meager beginnings. But she also saw the woman she had grown into, one with a growing strength and confidence.

Valae’s eyes slid closed.

She let her mind grow quiet and she drew the energy of the force to her. Valae basked in the calm, silently centering herself. The force flowed around her, and she focused on her goals – to learn and improve. And soon, there were footsteps approaching. Her eyes opened to find a small gathering at the doorway.

The group of Voss mystics entered the room silently, their hands folded, and heads bowed. Moving at the head of line was the Elder, he motioned for Valae to stand and join them. Together they moved to the far side of the room, where Valae could now see that there was a small altar. She watched curiously as one of the mystics stepped forward to light incense, the smoke drifted towards the ceiling, and the air became scented with a powerful dusky scent. Valae’s attention shifted rather suddenly, called back towards the door.

Turning a glance over her shoulder, she spotted more robed figures enter – this time with a stretcher. There was a small body being carried inside, a white sheet pulled up to the child’s chin. Valae’s eyes went wide; she immediately looked back towards the Elder. The Voss Elder moved to Valae’s side and placed a large hand on her shoulder, a gesture that silently said: don’t be alarmed.

“As it happens, we were already preparing to perform the healing ritual. This child suffered a terrible fall, we were able to save her – but she remains in a deep sleep. Thus far, attempts to wake her have been unsuccessful. We will try together, with your help.”

Valae offered a quick nod, eager to assist in the effort. The girl was placed on a mat before the altar, her head supported by a small cushion. Reaching out with the force, Valae could immediately feel that there was still life that stirred within. However, there seemed to be very little activity in the young one’s mind. But there was still hope.

Valae knelt down next to the young girl and instinctively reached for child’s hand. Often, touch aided in her efforts to heal – especially with those she did not know on a personal level. The Voss Elder stood next to Valae’s shoulder, and he instructed the mystics present to form a circle around the altar. Chestnut eyes flickered from one robed-figure to the next. Though the Voss generally did not identify with the Jedi or the Sith, she could feel the force radiating around them.

“We will begin, Jedi.” The Elder said with a nod. He moved into the circle as well. “The other mystics and I will begin to channel our healing power, and then we will let it flow into you. We will work together. Are you ready?”

“Yes, I am.” Valae answered with a nod.

As the ritual began, she was aware that the Elder was chanting. It seemed to be a sort of meditation that kept their group focused on the task at hand. And so, Valae began to enter into a peaceful state of her own. She cleared her mind and let the force begin to gather around her. At first, she could only feel her own effort to draw energy – but then there was a sudden rush. It was like being outside on a sunny day, there was warmth and there was light, too.

This was only the beginning.

Valae stood stunned for a moment, utterly speechless. The force flowed, connecting the lone Jedi and the Voss Mystics. She had never experienced such a strong feeling of unity before; such a bond shared was truly powerful. In the past, Valae struggled immensely self-doubt, but the connection with her peers made her confidence grow. She suddenly felt like they could accomplish anything. It was almost like she was glowing.

As Valae held her palms outwards, she realized that her body was actually illuminated by a benevolent yellow-hued light.

It was a strange and wonderful experience. Drawing in a deep breath, she turned her attention to the young girl by the altar. Her expression was set, serious and focused. Valae willed the force to flow from her and into the small form of the child. With her hand gently pressed to the girl’s forehead, she concentrated on sparking activity there. There was life, she could feel it. Though she was not a medical doctor, the force revealed to her the areas of grayness that were in stages of decline.

Gradually, she felt these cells regenerating. It was happening, but it wasn’t quite enough. Valae’s brow furrowed, the corner of her eye twitched slightly. She would not give up, not now. As she reached a deeper state of calm, she felt the glow spreading from her own body to that of the girl, bathing her in gentle warmth – it was working.

As the rush of force energy began to wane, Valae opened her eyes to see that the golden glow was now fading from her skin. Eventually, the deep connection to the others began to fade as well. Lowering her hands back to her side, she took a step back from the small girl. Valae reached a trembling hand to her forehead, and swayed on the spot for a brief moment. The Elder Mystic set a hand on her shoulder, and asked if she needed to rest. It was quite an experience for a first-timer, he had remarked. And he was quite right.

Valae shook her head and attempted to offer a small smile – a simple action made difficult due to the seemingly unchanged state of their patient. The child’s eyes were still closed; she still appeared to be deep in sleep, far away from the waking world.

But as the Jedi Knight looked on, she saw the girl’s eyes begin to flutter.

Her heart leapt. Soon the others were standing crowded around Valae, all of them watching in hopeful anticipation. The girl slowly opened her eyes to the world, for the first time in weeks. It was a surprisingly emotional moment that hit Valae a great deal harder than she was expecting. Before she knew it, she was dabbing the corners of her eyes with the edge of her sleeve. Though the ritual had come to an end, she was still filled with the sense of determination she had felt while working with the others.

This was her purpose, her true calling.

Valae was drawn from the chamber by the Elder Mystic; he guided her along with his hand upon her shoulder. The two stepped out of the dim room and into the light of the hallway. Before moving any farther, they paused to watch as the young girl was taken from the chamber. Her small form was still confined to a stretcher, but she was awake and alert. And now she was surrounded by her loved ones. She would still need time to recover, but Valae was sure that she would thrive in the presence of her family – they had been alerted to the news immediately following the ritual.

“Walk with me,” The Elder said, and released his grasp of Valae’s shoulder.

They emerged from the Shrine of Healing and into the daylight. Soft footsteps brought them outside into a large garden. Drawing in a breath of fresh air, Valae basked in the peaceful atmosphere. She needed a moment to recover, too. For a long time, they merely stood in comfortable silence. But Valae soon broke this quiet.

“Thank you for letting me experience the ritual, sir.” She said grateful smile. “I don’t think I will ever forget it.”

“You have our thanks as well, Jedi. And I am pleased to say that you are welcome here at the Shrine, a friend of the Mystics.”

With that, the Elder Mystic excused himself and went to go about the rest of his day. As for Valae, she lingered at the Shrine for a while longer. She felt renewed; her purpose in life had finally been made apparent. It was a very good feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom