Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Changing How The Community Decides Who Wins/Loses An Invasion

The following has been altered to present a concept for Invasion rules that would change how we look at victory conditions for an Invasion.

Red text presents either new rules or rules that have been moved.
INVASION

Label your faction's name, the planet, and the opposing faction (if there is one) in the topic title. Acquisitions will not be awarded in the future if this is not adhered to.

A Major Faction may only start one Invasion at a time and may not start another until the original invasion is completed and judged.

Before an Invasion begins, Faction Leaders must convene to discuss how the Invasion will be handled by both sides to account for fairness and balance. If a compromise is not reached within 7 days, please consult the SWRP Staff Team and a Role-play Judge will be assigned.

At any point, a Major Faction may “invade” another Major Faction's occupied planet. This involves one Major Faction's members fighting for control of the planet against another Major Faction's members.

1. Stampeding* is not allowed.
*Stampeding is when a Major Faction colludes to post all of its members repetitively without waiting for a proper response from the opposition.

VICTORY DECLARATION

1. The thread must have a minimum total of 100 posts between both factions.

2. Both factions must have a minimum of 5 members per side. If either faction cannot meet this requirement within 72 hours of the beginning of the invasion, that faction forfeits.

Once an Invasion nears it's completion, the SWRP Chaos Staff Team will be privately contacted and a Role-play judge will be assigned. If either faction does not concede, the Role-play Judge will decide the victor.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

The following will not be considered when judging an Invasion.

1. PvP Duels. The amount of duels won or lost in an Invasion does not contribute to either faction’s victory.

2. Objectives. The amount of objectives won or lost in an Invasion does not contribute to either faction’s victory.

3. NPCs. The actions of NPCs involved from either side in an Invasion does not contribute to either faction’s victory.

The following will be considered when judging an Invasion.

1. Teamwork. The amount of teamwork each faction exhibits over the course of the Invasion will contribute to victory, including its organization, cooperation with the faction's members, and how it executes its vision for the Invasion. This also includes members from opposing factions working with each other, rather than against each other, to provide entertaining role-play.

2. Story. Does it make sense? How exciting is it? Are the factions trying to weave a purposeful story or put up points on a scoreboard? This should not include the reason for the Invasion, but rather the story that proceeds once the Invasion has begun.

3. OOC Drama. Negative drama instigated by either side, publicly, can negatively impact a Faction’s chances for victory in an Invasion.
  4. Entertainment. The value of entertainment provided by Factions in an Invasion can positively impact a Faction’s chances for victory in an Invasion.
  5. Effort. The amount of effort put into the Invasion by each faction participating will positively impact that faction's chances for victory. This includes, but is not limited to - active writers participating, quality of writing, and responding to your writing partners in a reasonable time.

Major Changes

+Requirement for RPJs to decide victors in Invasions, not Faction Leaders.
+Declaring SWRP Staff's intent for victory conditions and how Invasions will be judged, to serve as an example for all Invasions.

This example includes the approved rule change for Faction Leader negotiation time limits.

I'm okay with this.

Will we be covering the ally rules in a separate instance? I know a new light was brought up for a rewording of "Up to 10 allies" instead of fixing it at 5

Lets keep this on topic. Ask that question in the appropriate thread.

Requesting Aid rules are its own ruleset, not in the Invasion rules, which are being discussed here.

Overall I'm positive about this. Factions have been using increasingly specific victory conditions under the belief that this will make deciding the victor easy. I think the amount of times invasions take a very long time and/or require an RPJ shows this isn't the case. Instead the writers on each side get fixated on writing towards the objectives instead of writing story. The amount of genuine hits taken in a PvP duel count invasion seems to tend towards zero...

Faction Admins will queen that these aren't specific enough and their members won't know what to do to win.

Good. I think that's liberating.

Specifics:

NPCs. The amount of NPCs involved from either side in an Invasion does not contribute to either faction’s victory.

The word "amount" here doesn't feel quite right? Should we be saying that the actions of NPCs don't overall count towards victory? I've certainly never see an "NPC ground battle" do anything more than cause drama. On the other hand people writing fleet battles seem better at doing something meaningful. And people looove their ships.

This also includes members from each faction working with each other, rather than against each other, to provide entertaining role-play.

Reword to members from opposing factions?

I can't say how much I'm in favour of points 2, 3 and 4. It's a lot. Let's say it's a lot.

I like this...but...

Devil's advocate here; is this going too far the other way? By these rules a faction which works well together, is entertaining, causes no drama and has a compelling story could win...even if they were utterly decimated IC and had the stuffing kicked out of them.

Don't get me wrong, I like these conditions, but perhaps we should allow some mention of the IC situation in as point 5.

Maybe:
"5. IC Result. Whether the faction has been winning the invasion contributes to their chances of victory."

This is just one point of 5 and covers all the fleeting, PVP and such battles as a whole.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Rather than that how about a minor amendment

This should not include the reason for the Invasion, but rather the story for control of the planet that proceeds once the Invasion has begun.

5. Effort. The amount of effort put into the Invasion by each faction participating will positively impact that faction's chances for victory. This includes, but is not limited to - active writers participating, quality of writing, and responding to your writing partners in a reasonable time.

Raziel said:

Rather than that how about a minor amendment

This should not include the reason for the Invasion, but rather the story for control of the planet that proceeds once the Invasion has begun.

I'd rather not limit Invasions to stories centering around the control of the planet. You can only do so many.

A fun and exciting story premise is enough for me, same as Dominions.

Tefka said:
I can go with this.

That's a good point.

Perhaps:

Once an Invasion nears it's completion, the SWRP Chaos Staff Team will be privately contacted and a Role-play judge will be assigned. If one side has not admitted defeat within 12 hours of the end he/she will make the final decision.

I think an RPJ will likely be assigned early for a quick result turnaround but I don't think any RPJs would begrudge one side quickly conceding like grown ups. In fact one day they might once again be trained enough to do this on their own again.

Perhaps it doesn't even need a line. But I think making it clear that they can stand up and make the call on their own is a step towards enabling the faction Admins to take the reigns again down the line.

Tefka said:

• [background=transparent]Objectives. The amount of objectives won or lost in an Invasion does not contribute to either faction’s victory.[/background]
[/LIST]
Maybe it's too early and I need more coffee, but please explain this line? It's under the list of items that do not contribute to Victory considerations. Valien alluded to this as well. Given this line, a Faction could lose the invasion IC but still win it OOC. If the objective is to protect an orphanage, they could carpet bomb it and assuming the bombing was written spectacularly and lots of effort was put in, they could still win. Which seems odd.

But then there's another line in the does count section that specifies the Story must be good and make sense. The two criteria are sort-of exclusive to one another and it can be a bit confusing.

My recommendation is to clarify the Objectives clause because it is the one that strikes the most cognitive dissonance. In other words, the question is why are there objectives if they contribute nothing to the victory decision?)

Tefka said:
The following will not be considered when judging an Invasion.
A suggestion, if it matters much, but we could reword this instead of "will not be considered when" to be something like "will not be the deciding factor when". It provides the illusion that objectives and stuff matter, whereas they really only offer marginal advantages if a faction did better in the fields marked here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom