Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cementing Alliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coruscant felt unreasonably humid then Samara remembered, Perhaps it was the ten years she'd spent on Kro Var. The world was far from desolate, but there was no doubt that it was predominately a wasteland. The change in climate was something the young woman was still getting used to, among other things. The one things she could never get over she felt was the dramatic change the galaxy had taken on during her decade in hiding.

It was almost immediately after her return that her own former master had informed Samara she'd been promoted to Master. Master Mu had said it was because of her time with the Shapers that the council had deemed her worthy, but Samara knew the truth. The Order was desperately struggling to regain their footing. They needed Masters, and they needed to parade Jedi from Imperial conquered worlds before the galactic community. So show that citizens of worlds like Commenor were not just going to roll over.

Not that Samara felt particularly proud of her Commenoran heritage. It just served as a reminder that even if she wished to see her family again, she could never go home.

Looking up into the eyes of the senatorial guard that examined Samara's identity card, wondering where this man had called home. Was he displaced too. Was his world turned upside down my the Sith Empire. Lowering the card and returning it to Samara's grasp the guard nodded as her opened the door into the atrium of the senator's office. "Just wait here and his assistant will let you know when Senator Snapes will see you."

"Thank you." Samara entered the airy atrium, examining the various Naboo artifacts used to decorate the room outside the senator's office. It was just another thing she would have to get used to. Every since the council had appointed Samara as the Order's Prime Envoy she'd had to suffer through such meetings as politicians asked to meet the female Jedi. No doubt to figure out how to manipulate the woman to their side. Samara had already fended off her share of sexual advances from other over eager senators.

Senator Angel Snape was not a first term senator. He was a veteran of politics now approaching the sixth decade of his life. Being a Foundation Party member almost from its founding Snape was considered one of the top political figures within the Republic. After the Foundation won the latest election and established its Government under Axel Versetillor, Angel Snape from Naboo had been rewarded for his years of faithfull service and was appointed as Minister of State, the second most powerfull position within the Republic.Angel Snape had no particular love for the light side and the Jedis neither any particular hostility or hate. He was just a politian trying to get the best out of anyone in order to serve the interests of his country and of himself. He was a hardcore conservative Senator and was known to be one of the best speakers inside the Galactic Senate. That day he was feeling weird. He was about to meet the newly appointed Prime Envoy for the Jedi Order. He might have been Minister again the previous years when the Foundation Party managed to win the election and establish a government but he was too feeling now that the galactic scene was changing and the Jedis had to be by the Republic because the Empire had the Sith and this fight was lost if they were alone.He spoke through the commlink to his secretary's desk. ''I can acept Master Galloway now.'' The brief heavy voice gone off and the Jedi walked inside the big office which was looking at the city of Coruscant down under.He smiled and stood up. ''Greetings Master Jedi, I am Angel Snape Senator from Naboo and Minister of State. I am welcoming you to the Senate my lady.'' He said kissing her hand. He was sure that she would avoid the pleasenties and get straight into the hard political conversation to push her interests forward. She was after all a member of the Republic in the more extensive essence of the term.

"Master Galloway, the Senator will see you now."

Samara stood from the seat she had only taken a moment before and walked through the opening door into the main office. Green eyes briefly took in the room was she approached the older man. The place was clean, and far less grandiose then the other senatorial offices she'd been in the last week. Finally her stare settled on Angel as he took her hand and kissed it. She cringed slight before he could notice, not because she had anything against touching. The Order had ever been big on such displays, and her ten years with the people of Kro Var had only re-enforced a notion that they were not of the norm.

As he looked back up at her Samara's face quickly transformed into the practiced warm smile she'd learned to prefect for this job. "Thank you Senator Snape. I have been made abundantly welcomed and I appreciate it." Of course as gallantly many have tried, Samara was anything but comfortable with the reminder of her duties. It had taken her a while to figure out why that was, but this morning it had dawned on her. She only truly felt the pressure of her duties when it was made clear to Samara just how special her job was. She was the most influential Jedi in the order, just under the Grand Master and the Battlemaster.

Without having ever served on the Council she'd been placed unwittingly two removed from the highest position in the Order. The questions of why had been the source of her discomfort, and they would continue to leave her a mess until she could find the truth. "I trust there is some matters the Minister of State wished for the Jedi to consider." There was always a reason for these meetings, and usually they involved a favor or personal matter a Senator wished the Jedi to look into for them.

The experienced Senator smirked. ''As you know Master Jedi we are just start our efforts to reform the structure and the mechanism of the Republic. The ''Foundation'' managed to establish a popular Government and have a powerfull position in the Galactic Senate since we have 3.200 Senators. I think we will easily finish our three year term without earlier elections taking this number of Senatorial seats in account.He poured some Corellian whiskey in his glass and offered some to the Jedi. ''But alone the politians cannot protect the borders and the people of the Republic. It is a standard policy of the Ministry of the State to find the best means to protect the people of our beloved Republic. I need the Jedis to help the State so the State can help them and provide the place you wish in Coruscant and other galactic worlds with no costs.''''Do not get me wrong but the Republic it's in a crucial moment of its history. If the ''Foundation'' fails we will fail and the people will find themselfs in turnmoil.'' He tried to press the Jedi.

Samara took the glass, giving it a casual examination before sitting it down. The Senator had started just as she had figured. Spouting the accomplishments of his party, though unlike the others he had progress to show for his, and reminding Samara of the Republic's fragile state.

"Might I remind you Senator that the Jedi are not soldiers for the Republic. We are not here to fight all of the battles. And even if we did there is no way the Order would be much help. The purge wiped out nearly three quarters of our numbers. We are weak, and with our movements restricted we are finding replenishing our ranks harder."

''Then by all means you need the help of the government and of my Ministry, Master Jedi. Don't get me wrong but I think you cannot ask for anything if you dont give anything back. What I am propusing is have the Jedis being indepedent from the Republic but we will ''pay'' you even if you are not part of us to work with the Republic. By paying I mean give you resources, people, places to work and whatever you will need. In return...'' he smirked. ''I shall ask you to protect the high officials of the Republci and work with us because the tension is rising between us and the Sith Empire and I do not know where it will end...'' He leaned back in his chair and waited.

This was the thing she hated most about diplomacy, having to be diplomatic. She was reminded of the old adage about diplomacy her master had once told her in jest. The definition of diplomacy was the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. It was certainly an ability the woman had never learned, though for the sake of the Order she tried her best.

With a gentle reassuring smile Samara looked into the older man's eyes. "Senator, it is not my place to make treaties or promises in place of the High Council. My job is merely to observe and be the face of the Order to the government. I can promise you that the order is as committed to protecting the highest official as it is to protecting the lowest citizen. While the Republic may have lost some of it's history the Jedi remember all to well the price we paid a millenia ago in becoming to integrated in the affairs of the Galactic Republic."

Samara considered reaching for the glass that had been previously been offered to her to help her parched throat. But one of the many things she'd learned over the years is the need to maintain an aura of purity in the eyes of the citizens. Alcohol would have been acceptable for another senator, but to drink it in such a setting would destroy the aura. "The Jedi Order serves life, and works to maintain the balance in the force. When we are needed to keep the peace we will be there Senator. But as I said before we will not act as foot soldiers for your armies, or police for your internal security."

Senator was not pleased with the reply. ''I am afraid that the Chief of State needs something more than this Master Galloway, I do not think we will be able to give you many things this way...''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom