Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[CAX] FAAL Type 1

Image Source: DeviantArt
Image Notes:
This is only an approximate appearance.
I created my own, hand-drawn image, though it is so terrible, I dare not post it here.
I have absolutely no idea why there are two optical devices mounted at the same time.
The FAAL's barrel is much larger.
The compressed air comes in place of the 4x scope on the front.
The receiver is longer.
The secondary weapon takes the place of the foregrip.
The blade is hung under the barrel.
I am sorry for not posting my original image.
Intent: To create a semi-reliable corrosive weapon
Development Thread: If Necessary
Manufacturer: Czerka Arms
Model: FAAL-T1
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Limited to attachments
Production: Mass-Produced
Materials: Polytetraflouroethylene (PTFE), Durasteel, Plastoid
Classification: Corrosive Projectile Launcher
Size: Handled/Stationary
Length: 1,24m
Weight: 6,8kg
Ammunition Type:
Primary: 30mm Fluoroantimonic Acid Containers
Secondary: Lithium Ion Battery
Ammunition Capacity:
Primary: 7 rounds/magazine
Secondary: N/A
Effective Range:
Primary:
Before drop: 20m
Absolute ineffectiveness: 45m
Secondary:
N/A
Firing Mode:
Primary: Semi-Auto
Secondary: Semi-Auto/Continuous Beam
Rate of Fire:
Primary: 30RPM
Secondary: N/A
Special Features:
Inner system cannot be corroded
Features two weapons:
Primary: Fluoroantimonic Acid Launcher (FAAL)
Secondary: Czerka Arms Experimental laser-burst technology
Strengths:
High power
Versatility
Multiple firing modes
Weaknesses:
Unreliable
Heavy
Low magazine capacity
Tendency to cause collateral damage

Description:

The FAAL is a weapon used for many different tasks. The tool utilizes the extreme power of fluoroantimonic acid, and the stunning corrosion resistance of PTFE. Due to this, the weapon can be used for war and mining alike. The FAAL offers a wide variety of uses. The FAAL fires a frail, light PTFE canister, which is meant to shatter on impact with any semi-hard surface. If the shell shatters, the acid is spilled out onto the surrounding area.

However, with such awe-inspiring power comes a variety of severe limitations. This weapon is prone to causing incredible collateral damage, while also having a tendency to malfunction. For this reason, it is recommended that the shooter uses both extreme caution and protective gear.

The FAAL is a magazine-fed weapon. A vertical magazine is inserted in the compartment, and held in by an electromagnet to prevent the magazine from coming loose.

Its inner system is made entirely of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), as this is a material entirely resistant to fluoroantimonic acid, and to most other acidic substances. The outer shell is made mostly of durasteel, with the exception of the stock, which is molded entirely from plastoid.

The FAAL uses compressed air to launch its ammunition. The compressed air canister is inserted on the top of the weapon, above the magazine.

The FAAL sports a rail, which allows the installation of various different optics.

On the bottom side of the weapon’s durasteel chassis rests a small, experimental blaster. This blaster utilizes a compact laser emitter, powered by a strong lithium ion battery inserted in the bottom of the weapon. The bursts of light travel at approximately 300,000km/s. Alone, the laser bursts are non-lethal and invisible. In a dense atmosphere, the weapon performs best, as the laser burst heats up air particles around it into a state of hot plasma, which deals some limited damage to unarmored targets. If fired as a continuous beam, the weapon can heat up, and potentially burn the user. The lithium ion battery offers a very limited power source. This weapon is useless in a vacuum.

The plastoid stock comes in two variants, the rifle stock, and the short stock.

On the bottom side of the barrel resides an optional attachment, a durasteel blade.

Primary Source: Myself, as far as I know.

Note(s):

If the weapon is overpowered (which is quite likely), please notify me. I believe this can be avoided by drastically raising the price on the market. I tried to be as scientifically accurate as possible, though I will admit that the laser technology is slightly exaggerated, though I believe that is forgivable. Both PTFE and Fluoroantimonic acid exist. I do not know if they have been discovered in the Star Wars universe yet. If not, I can create a development thread.

Thank you for your time.

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Edwin Gerald Finbur"]

Edwin Gerald Finbur said:
If the weapon is overpowered (which is quite likely), please notify me. I believe this can be avoided by drastically raising the price on the market. I tried to be as scientifically accurate as possible, though I will admit that the laser technology is slightly exaggerated, though I believe that is forgivable. Both PTFE and Fluoroantimonic acid exist. I do not know if they have been discovered in the Star Wars universe yet. If not, I can create a development thread.
Raising the price on an item doesn't really balance it for being over powered (if it is). This doesn't work because we don't have a working economy so Joe Shmoe down the street can say he has 10k credits - there's no way to tell if he does or doesn't. We function on no one hit kills etc, the Judges will work with you on this and I'll final stamp it when its ready. I just wanted to clear that minor detail up ahead of time.

This weapon doesn't offer one hit kills by any means. Hell, I'd say it has more downsides than upsides. It's absolutely useless against plastoid, particle shields, and many more corrosion-resistant materials. It's slow. It has a horrible effective range. Utilizes extremely expensive ammunition. It's unreliable. It has a tendency to shower the user in acid.

I may have forgotten to mention these. I'm just posting it to make sure no misconceptions will be made. Upon posting it, I believed it could be overpowered. After thinking it through... It's actually quite a bad weapon, if used by anything other than a droid. Well, that's what they were intended for anyway, droids. I'm thinking of changing it from 'open market' to 'limited for military use'. I believe that could level out the instabilities.

Edwin Gerald Finbur said:
In a dense atmosphere, the weapon performs best, as the laser burst heats up air particles around it into a state of hot plasma, which deals some limited damage to unarmored targets. If fired as a continuous beam, the weapon can heat up, and potentially burn the user.
Wouldn't the laser, based on how it transfers heat to its surroundings as you mention here, work best by coming in direct contact with a lightly armored enemy, and be potentially fatal, as it would heat the armor/clothing/skin (all of which transfer heat much better than air and particles in it) to this plasma state?

That is exactly what it does. Precisely. You see, this is a much weaker version. Originally, I planned on releasing a standalone version of laser-plasma weaponry first, but forgot the blueprint in my home, and therefore had no choice but to quickly draw up a new design.

This version can perhaps burn through flammable material at most. I don't even think it could kill a human, likely just burn and graze them. Perhaps it could be considered a stun weapon. Why is it weaker? Because it has a smaller emitter. The laser burst isn't as powerful. And of course because it uses a smaller lithium ion battery than dedicated weapons.

I tried to remain as faithful to physics as possible. Since lasers themselves wouldn't really 'hurt' anyone significantly, I decided to utilize the fact that lasers create plasma, if strong enough. Of course, this is a bit exaggerated. In real life, such a small amount of plasma couldn't kill someone (I don't think). Of course, this is Star Wars, so I suppose that gives me a free pass on science. Still, I try to make my weapons make sense, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom