Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catching Up With The Past

Arekk

The Flesh Of Fallen Angels
reE5M5y.png
LITHIOS
Triple Overdose Club, Ethos City

INTERACTING WITH: [member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lithios was an undiscovered planet within the Meissa System until a few weeks ago when [member="Jyn Lorr"] and Ar'ekk received a call for help that led them to discover this massive urban sprawl. How they remained out of the charts and from the Je'daii's knowledge remains unknown to this day but one thing was certain: The Je'daii Ranger himself decided to move out from Aurum and stay here.

Being a native from Coruscant made Ar'ekk, a former Jedi Knight in title, enjoy the sights of big cities and loud streets after spending most of his life in the undercity. Being in Aurum relatively in peace and sorrounded by green forrests and calm lakes was a welcome change to his life but didn't make him feel comfortable enough to what he was used to.

Ar'ekk sat by the bar of a local nightclub to enjoy a nice drink after working for ten hours with the local law enforcement agency to investigate several strange disappearances suspected of foul play.

"Let me tell you, things are not looking nice. That much I can say."

What could you expect from a droid that served drinks inside a nice club like this? Nothing but a generic response such as "Do you want a refill?" instead of listening to the man's story.

He was supposed to meet someone from off-world right about now regarding an undisclosed matter, the person did not mention any names. The Je'daii simply named the location, nothing else.

"Be there."

The datapad displayed the message exchanged with the subject, sent through an encrypted network that could not be intercepted by slicers.

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
Lilla had never considered herself as naïve. Far from it. But time spent away from Tatooine had revealed just how little she knew of the galaxy she was to play a part in.

She was oddly at home in a dirty cantina, facing down slavers, spice dealers and thugs. She could reasonably deal with Sith and almost had a handle on Dark Jedi. But Orders like the Silvers still confused her. Light sided on the surface, but scratch the veneer and there was an organisation that on one hand valued the Jedi Code, but on the other allied with those that drew on the dark side. They even allowed them as members of their Order – subject to being remorseful – but allowing them to continue to draw on the dark side.

Lilla did not judge – she merely held an opinion. Her viewpoint was that there was good and evil, lawful and illicit and finally light and dark. They were three separate axes – although many conflated them. She knew where she stood on each line and allied and respected those that were in her position and distanced herself from those that were not. She did not state they were wrong – merely different to her. But she was sworn to fight for the greater good and protect the weak – and so those that were evil, unlawful and dark naturally became her nemesis.

But, like any continuum, there would be a point where one direction was acceptable and the other not. But everyone would draw that point in a different place. Lilla knew that and accepted it too. And she aspired to understand where people placed their marker and why. She was not foolish enough to believe she was right on every subject upon which she had an opinion and was open enough to learn more, to enable her position to be better placed – through better information, knowledge and potentially wisdom.

And in that endeavour, she had been drawn to the Jed’aii. Lilla believed she existed to bring a balance to the Force. She had no expectations the Sith would be wiped out – where would be the equilibrium in that? And, logically, if every Force user was individually balanced, that would work too.

Or had she oversimplified the Jed’aii’s stated philosophy? And given the brief she’d accepted, she’d been presented with a chance to understand more of the ancient Order’s viewpoint.

So, she closed in on the Triple Overdose Club, in Ethos City. She’d never visited the Meissa System before – and knew the planet would be different to what she was used to. Being raised on Tatooine, she was used to open space – a lot of it. And since being a Jedi, her destinations had tended to be remote worlds with limited populations. Ethos City wasn’t Coruscant, but it might as well have been from Lilla’s perspective. A natural empath, she was practiced at closing down her mind to external emotions and thoughts – she had to for her own sanity, here especially.

So, she parked up at a spaceport close to the location and made her way on foot for the remainder of the journey. With her hood up and a brisk pace, she attracted no attention and kept her attention on the way ahead, not wishing to be distracted as she walked.

And finally she reached the nightclub and paid the obligatory entry fee before seeking out the bar noted on the encypted message she’d been sent.

She glanced around, thankful there weren’t too many patrons at this hour.

Now…what would an [member="Arekk"] look like?

Arekk

LITHIOS

For someone associated with the Je'daii Order, you would expect him to be dressed in ceremonial clothes and stand out amongst the rough crowd of one of the busiest clubs of Lithios. But Ar'ekk? He wasn't one of them. He was different and dressed different, his cybernetic arm replacing a limb lost years ago during the war at Malachor V made him an easy person to spot.

Draped in a black leather jacket and his robotic prosthetic that covered up his entire arm up to his shoulder, the man held a glass with some sort of strong but delicious liquor that they served here. You could say he was a regular after some hard days of work before returning home.

To his side by the counter rested the datapad, its screen flickering brightly which in return made the message exchanged with the contact visible to anyone who got close enough. The Je'daii Ranger had a special trait and that was being able to sense a force sensitive individual from a mile away.

Downing his drink, Ar'ekk looked briefly but not so obvious over his shoulder and saw the figure of Lilla standing by the door. The nightclub was beginning to fill up with patrons from all different walks of life, humans.

Aliens were not permitted within the city and were confined to the Xenomorph sector which was heavily guarded by the Lithios military force.

"Refill me, H8-M3."

He said back to the bartending droid as he felt the presence of the girl growing closer to him, preparing to finally meet this mysterious person. He really hated surprises so this better had to be something good.

Nothing like a strong drink before meeting someone, right?

Lilla Syrin

The name of the establishment did nothing to lift Lilla’s opinions of the place – the Triple Overdose Club.

Lilla scanned the patrons swiftly, her eyes dancing across those present, so as not to appear as if she were scanning the assembled customers. Not that there was necessarily anything wrong with that, but Lilla’s training taught her to avoid doing so, unless it was intentional, and the clandestine nature of the directions to the meet suggested her presence should not be broadcast.

She could of course access the Force and sense who was who in this place. Except there was no guarantee her contact was Force sensitive – and there may even be more than one Jedi – or Sith – present. And by using the Force, she would be telegraphing her own abilities to who knew who in the bar.

So, she did her reconnoitring the old-fashioned way – using techniques she’d been taught before she knew how to access the Force.

Logically her contact knew he (or she) was unknown to Lilla – and they hadn’t agreed to wear a flower in their lapels. So…either the person she was here to meet would find her, or they would be in some way recognisable without having to be indiscreet to find out.

Lilla headed to the bar in an indirect manner, scoping a few potentials along the way – but none made any attempt to contact her or worse a sign, announcing they were here to meet a Jedi of the Republic Remnant. Of course, it was possible her contact was being subtle, allowing her to reveal herself before she was contacted directly.

So she headed to the bar and ordered a beer, before observing, out of the corner of her eye, a man sporting a black leather jacket. But it was not his sartorial elegance that caught her attention – it was the datapad, its screen flickering with the messages she’d exchanged. Unless he’d just stolen it, this was her man.

“Hello,” she said, aware this had better be her contact, or she’d come across as someone looking for a good time. “An interesting choice of drinking venue.”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS

Mingling with criminals and less than good willed people in a place like the Triple Overdose Club would be the last thing you'd expect from a former Jedi Knight, except keeping in mind his last adventure on Nar Shaddaa.

It was not a coincidence that Ar'ekk decided to give his back to the front door, anyone smart enough would know that's a perfect way of getting killed without much trouble. However, he had a stronger ally: The Force.

Everyone coming through the entrance had a signature of their own they carried everywhere and he knew how to sniff those. If you brought trouble, if you were disturbed or simply wanted come here for a drink? He'd know about it.

Whoever this girl that sat next to him and gave him the time of the day without much thinking had a light on her. She didn't mean trouble for anyone inside the club or himself. It was peace, calmness and pure good intentions. Although he didn't rely that information through conversation, his mind could tell a thousand stories.

Raising his glass towards Lilla and letting his more than captivating personality flourish, he introduced himself in unique fashion. Nothing out of the ordinary and certainly in the respectful way but still amusing,

"Nothing like a nightclub full of degenerate criminals to hold a conversation. Who would think to enter here in their sane mind, anyways?"

He instantly realized that Lilla was the contact he was supposed to meet and his whole demeanor changed to a much more serious and collected, trying to not raise much attention to himself. The previous display could be considered a bit of an act for the people watching them closely and once he knew everything was in the clear, it was time for business.

"How's things?"

Lilla Syrin

Lilla smiled. It was a kind and understanding smile. She clearly found logic in his explanation of the choice of venue.

“Well, I’m here and you’re here — so unsure what that says about us,” she said, the smile never leaving her lips.

“And as for things,” she added, “That’s a very good point. Is it OK to carry on our conversation here, or should we find somewhere more discreet? Unless you think that will draw more attention.”

She resisted the urge to glance around the room and see who might be observing them — it was a sure-fire way of appearing up to no good.

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS
Downtown, Ethos City

Ar'ekk returned the smile to Lilla as he dragged his gaze towards the exit, going outside was a much better idea. He picked up his lighter, cigarettes and paid for his drink before standing up and tugging the girl with him.

It was frosty cold on the streets and the rain began to pour down heavily upon them as if the sky would tear itself apart, rain drops dripping down his black leather jacket. Walking and talking and enjoying the sights of such a magnificent city as Lithios would make for a good evening.

"I'm Ar'ekk, by the way."

He introduced himself in a friendly manner more than anything, reading Lilla's body language.

"What can I do for you?"

Lilla Syrin

Lilla followed Ar’ekk as he took them outside. Sometimes moving was the best way to keep a low profile. It made it harder to eavesdrop — not that Lilla was about to say anything top secret, but she did not know what her host considered public knowledge and what he wanted to play close to his chest.

As they ht the cold air, Lilla pulled her cloak tighter and pulled up her hood to protect her at least a little from the rain.

“So, I have it on reasonable authority that you’re a Jed’aii. Which is essentially why I’m here. Not to join or to make a pitch for you to join the Jedi, but simply to ask you to help me.”

She stopped walking for a moment and gained eye contact. “Help me understand what it means to be a Jed’aii. I know a little, the records are reasonable but, at best, sterile, and tell a passive and historic version of events. What I’m not looking for is a history lesson about Tython and all of that. Rather, I’d like to know what it means to be a Jed’aii in today’s galaxy. How the notion of duality fits with the whole Jedi and Sith thing. You see, I’ve recently met a man that is not a Jed’aii but believes in the balance within the individual, not within the galaxy as a whole. The idea intrigued me and I’d like to know more. As a Jedi, I ought to know more.”

Aware they were being rained on quite heavily now, she began walking again. “So, can you help me?”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS
Downtown, Ethos City

He walked with his eyes glued on Lilla as she asked her questions freely, aware that nobody would be interrupting their little meeting. It was safe to talk about anything because no one would be eavesdropping or give their full attention to what they were talking about simply because that's how Lithios was.

Ar'ekk gave the girl a brief but warm smile at the mention of the Jedi, memories flooding him like a fleeting shadow.

"I used to be a Jedi Knight like yourself."

Reaching inside his jacket, the man took out a small device that acted as an umbrella and put it under their heads to cover them from the pouring rain, continuing his monologue afterwards.

"A Je'daii does not seek war or conflict. We are a people who has a desire to learn, grow and understand this galaxy we were brought into. No need for glory or personal recognition, neutral and free from any type of government or political status. Balance, moderation, knowledge and power but not as you know it. Power as in having control over yourself, your own development as a person and your own Journey. Not holding control over others."

Stopping by a mobile shop that sold coffee and some delicious on-the-go food, Ar'ekk continued talking. Quickly paying the vendor for two hot cups and handing one over to Lilla to cope with the rain alongside him, the Je'daii Ranger sought the girl's eyes.

"The Je'daii gave me shelter when I was in an awful spot a year ago. I did terrible things, some stuff I'm not proud of, but they believed in me and they returned both my mind and body to a peaceful state. A state of balance.

Now... Lithios. I live here now instead of Aurum because I was born in the slums of Coruscant and the sights of a city are much more appealing to me than being sorrounded by forrests and lakes.

There's a lot of noise going on and less honest people here and you think that could corrupt a man like me again yet that's a wrong thing to assume. Why? Because there's a balance in me.

I walk free of pain."

Lilla Syrin

Lilla nodded as Ar’ekk began the recounting of his story. Kit was precisely what she wanted. Not the sterile factual information a datacron would impart, but a personal journey and a human perspective on a subject that would never be resolved – but deserved as much discussion as time would allow.

Lilla smiled at the device Ar’ekk produced. Rain was hardly the greatest hardship a Jedi would face, but being dry beat being wet every day.

And as he spoke, she compared and contrasted his words and understanding with what she knew of the Jedi Order and Code. But she remained quiet and attentive, not allowing her thoughts to wander – but continued to be focused on her host.

She took the drink readily, the hot liquid compensating for the appalling weather somewhat.

“Many things you have shared resonate with me. Not that I believe that they are different from the Jedi way of life, but rather the same. Does that mean I’m not a typical Jedi, if what you share – to you – feels to set the Je’daii apart?”

Lilla remained silent for a few seconds before continuing, clearly reflecting on thoughts before committing to sharing them. She would come across as measured and analytical – not given to speaking for the sake of it, nor believing everything she said and thought was automatically correct. But she also showed an intuitive side, able to join dots some way apart and share her interpretation of what she heard.

“To me, a Jedi is a peace-keeper. I would never seek a physical solution – unless as a last resort. The concept of a Jedi warrior is, to me, an oxymoron.”

“And I too seek learning and growth. I perceive a Jedi as selfless, a servant – totally lacking in ego. And I agree that I should not be a person that makes political decisions. But maybe there is our first point of divergence. I could no more join the Silver Order, for example, due to the fact that it is an Order and a government. But, at the other end of the scale, to operate entirely independently, makes a Jedi just as political. Free will to intervene or not – to choose sides? That is a political decision, and here I admit to sharing opinion as opposed to fact. Although I believe it is a reality that free choice could pit Jedi versus Jedi on either side of a dispute where there is no clear right or wrong, or where truths are manipulated and some see the deception and some don’t.”

“And almost all of what I have said is, in my estimation, devoid of opinion – or a personal take on anything. Rather it is what the teachings of the Jedi Code have told me.”

“And redemption is not a reserve of the Jedi or Je’daii – and the galaxy is a better place for that fact. What matters not is what anyone has done, but rather what they are doing and what they will do.” She smiled ruefully. “And no, I am not condoning past actions for any individual or government, but I hope you see the sentiment in my view.”

“And what I see are the positives and the clear similarities between our two Orders. Not the same, but neither is the worse for that. If my upbringing has taught me anything, it is tolerance. Being judgemental rarely ends well, for one day the arbiter will, in turn, be judged. Better to be a redeemer, in case one day you need to be saved.”

She smiled again, and a warmth came over her face. “Some say I talk too much. Others say I take myself and my studies too seriously. I can accept both charges – and just hope others understand my enthusiasm comes from a position of wishing to understand and never to weigh and find someone or something wanting.”

“And one thing I learned as a Padawan is to not expect any place to be home. Home is wherever I am and if that is a ship, I shall make peace with that. It is never something to apologise for, or make excuses for – you need to be where you need to be. As you say, balance in all things.”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS
Downtown, Ethos City

His eyes lit up like candles once she started her monologue and debated the matter. So beautifully put and thought out, magnificent thinking which was both analytical and honest.

"You have taken the words right out of my mouth."

Ar'ekk smiled back even wider when she kept going, not wanting to interrupt what has being said. He was much more of a good listener than a talkative person and obviously he wouldn't make an exception right now, except when needed.

"A Jedi seeks out the peace and justice in the galaxy, taking the much more laid back approach than the violent one. Remembering my teachings, one does not not use their gift to attack others but rather in self-defense. Try to be a helping hand for those who need it and serve as the voice of reason, if necessary."

Sipping on his hot steamy cup of coffee and grimacing at the hot taste, he laughed it off and continued with the conversation,

"You've got a wonderful way of putting out things into words unlike me. I think you've conveyed each point clearly and I can see how much passion and devotion you put into your thoughts and studies which is something I really appreciate. I thank you for showing me your insights, your point of view and for understanding what I've told you about my life experiences."

"I don't think I've spoke to anyone about what I've gone through for the last few months but revealing at least a piece of it brings me more serenity than you can imagine."

Per art of magic, their walk and talk had taken them both to somewhere bigger in Downtown Ethos City. Ar'ekk kept the umbrella under their heads while their hands warmed up with the cups curled on their palms, the rain didn't seem like it was going to stop for a while.

"This is your first time here?"

Lilla Syrin

Lilla didn’t say what she did for anyone’s benefit and certainly not for praise. And she felt the validation sherceived from Ar’ekk was heartfelt and not a polite response to her possible rambling.

“There are times I would understand the need for a debate. For example, the Code was written in a different time. Are all of the tenets still valid or do some need to be refreshed or updated. Many Jedi now marry and have children. Some own material things - ships and homes and the like. What I think I’m trying to say is, which aspects of the Code must remain sacrosanct and which can be more liberally interpreted — if any.”

“But the aspects you mention are not up for debate I suspect. But as I say, I’m merely one voice in the galaxy — I am neither conceited nor foolish enough to believe I now more than anyone else, let alone everyone else.”

“And no, I have never visited her before. In truth, I’ve never been to a city this large before. My experiences have been on more desolate worlds. It is…different. Not good or bad, just different. But also a challenge for me. I am a natural empath, so have to block out so many voices in my head when faced with so many in close proximity. It’s not a major issue, but it does require concentration.”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS
Downtown, Ethos City

Ar'ekk understood exactly what Lilla meant and made sure this sensation was reflected properly through his words.

"What's the point of knowing everything, though? A wise person never knows all, only the fools think they do."

"The codes have changed over the last thousand years, Lilla. Too many orders in the galaxy with many different point of views that they end up clashing and making everything a bit more complicated. Once, you would devote yourself to a life of celibate and away from passion or love to live free of any preoccupations and not be prone to falling to the dark side of the Force. Nowadays, it is entirely different."

"I always thought that love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you."

"You take the best you can from the Code and learn from it, live with it, deal with it."

Taking a time for a break, the Je'daii Ranger took the girl to a local food shop on the street. An Anzati male was behind the counter, apparently his name was Keldarr and knew Ar'ekk by his first name. Most of them did know him because he spent most of his time on the cold streets of Lithios, spending most of his time working with local law enforcement to investigate certain specific cases.

"This might sound strange but I like the noise. Brings me peace, always have. Guess that's just my nature. The flickering lights, the rain and everything that Lithios has to offer gives me joy. Some might not see what I do, but it's great when you understand what I'm seeing or feeling."

He turned to the girl and with a big dorky smile offered a delicious meal under the rain, that's the least he could do. This conversation made him hungry and certainly his feet hurt a bit from all the walking so they could really use a break to talk about other topics.

"Noodles?"

Lilla Syrin

Lilla nodded at Ar’ekk’s words. “A Jedi never stops learning and so can never hope to know everything. That seems a sensible place to be. I thought it was Sith the were supposed to deal in absolutes — yet I have heard so many definitive positions on too many subjects to even consider this statement to be true. And, of course, everyone has a different version of the truth, a different perspective."

"Yet, as I see it, nobody sees the galaxy — they see it as they are. Meaning we all view life from our position, our perspective — with our own perceptions. It is a wise person that accepts this and appreciates their prejudices and therefore accommodates other viewpoints as equally valid but different.”

“Most people agree on opposite ends of a continuum. Genocide is wrong and saving babies is good. But somewhere along that axis is a point where we decide good turns to evil. The problem is, e will each of us point to a different spot on that line. So how can anyone say they are right with any certainty. Life, in general, is not one of extremes, which are easy to agree on. Life is lived in the grey in-between and that’s why nobody can agree.”

“Emotions are a good case in point. My understanding is that emotions are not banned, but acting irrationally on them is. Love is not bad, but putting it ahead of the greater good? Saving a loved one rather than a village? How can that be the Force’s will? Or maybe it is?” She shrugged to demonstrate she was happy to admit her thinking was conflicted on these matters.

The smell of food reminded Lilla she was hungry. “And there is more to life than the Code, although my schedule probably won’t agree with that statement. But I always have time for something to eat when it smells as good as this.”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS
Downtown, Ethos City

"It's indeed a very conflictive thing to think about, only being able to have an answer to the many questions you've imposed to yourself by simply being on the scenarios you've described. It might be the Force's will or not, some people prefer to have control over their lives instead of believing in a much greater power."

"We do the best we can in life with what we're given. Code or not, one must be able to recognize that and learn from mistakes. If you're faced with a hard truth, there's nothing you can do but accept it and move on."

Ar'ekk let out a brief friendly laugh when she mentioned her life and the Code, a Jedi's life was all about sacrifices and he very well knew that. Not for anything, the living reminder of using a cybernetic arm as a replacement for his missing limb told a thousand stories.

"Tell me about you."

Lilla Syrin

“Free will,” Lilla mused not understanding – or even being aware of the fact – that her very existence was based upon a rich man’s foible to test that very notion. “Is it romantic to believe in free will or destiny? In a sense, fate is seen as the romantic notion, yet if you believe in destiny, you believe your actions will have no impact on an outcome. Which sounds entirely unromantic to me. You don’t need to make an effort because what will be, will be.”

“My view, and it is simply mine, I grant you – is that I am honour bound to believe in free will and to do what I can to make a change to this galaxy. Now if there is some divine being choosing the future – and I don’t believe the Force is – then I suspect my free will actions were part of her plan anyway. So, I believe I should not leave things to chance.”

Lilla smiled. She was not a natural talker – at least not on a subject outside of her life as a Jedi. Was that her upbringing or her very nature? She’d been raised a slave and in-between times had been a scavenger. Both equated to the life of a loner, trusting no one and having zero friends. So, social banter was not one of her strengths. She was OK when asking questions because she needed facts – or answering queries – but idle chit-chat? She’d rather face a rancor.

“Me?” she echoed, as this was her standard response that allowed her to position an answer that was accurate but not rambling. Her stint as a Jedi Ranger had allowred her to come to terms with this aspect of her life – her formative years. Now she was comfortable not knowing and allowing others to appreciate the gaps in her life. As long as they didn’t pity her – that she still struggled with.

“I have no idea where I came from, or my parents or anything about my life before I was found by Jawas on Tatooine. They gave me to a moisture farmer and so, from a young age, I was a slave. One day I ran away and lived as a scavenger for a while, before the governess found me. She runs an academy on Tatooine for assassins, spies and bounty hunters. Except that it turned out to be a new form of slavery. Once trained, you’re sold to whoever needs you. It’s how she turns a profit. So I was destined to be a slave to some pirate warrior and I ran away again. This time I headed away from civilisation and spent as much time in the Jundland wastes as I could. The a Jedi found me, deactivated the slave chip and I joined the Republic Remnant Order. A few years later and here I am, a newly appointed Knight.” She made it sound so matter-of-fact.

“So, what’s your story? You’ve told me some things but not the details.”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS
Downtown, Ethos City

Ar'ekk nodded as Lilla spoke her mind. She had a very special way of talking, most gracious and unique for a person. After ordering, the cook placed the bowl of steaming noodles infront of him. The whirling scent of noodles impacted his nostrils causing his mouth to salivate as he tried to find the right spot to sit down as the rain became more aggressive.

The story told by Lilla wasn't so different to the one lived by Ar'ekk, similarities on the storytelling made him feel a bunch of different emotions like he was riding a rollercoaster. Was it a coincidence or the Force that such people with rough lives and upbringins chose to defend the light and become keepers of the peace?

"Where do I start? Same as you, I grew up with no family except that I was adopted by a single mother and her son. Coruscant's underworld, we struggled to live by everyday but me and my adoptive brother tried to do the best we could. The local crime lords squeezed us every month for money since we were living on their gang's territory. I knew I had a gift from a very young age but never really spoke about it because it was considered a shameful subject among my so called friends but my luck changed when a Jedi Master from the Silver Jedi Order discovered me and offered me to go with her, learn the ways of the Jedi. Of course, I was reluctant at first because if I left that'd mean my family wouldn't last long..."

He took a pause right there and then to remember what happened, seemingly still affected by those painful memories.

"I accepted because that's what they wanted me to do. So I left and was told that I'd be better with a Jedi Master who belonged to the Galactic Republic instead of being with the Silvers. They took me to Yutan, where their Jedi Temple was. I trained and trained hard to become a Padawan. Then the One Sith invaded us... and I left to fight at Malachor V. There, I lost my arm and lost everything I had. No Master, no path to follow, no teachings. So I sought refuge on a backwater planet and then Nar Shaddaa.

The Smuggler's Moon, you can assume what happened. I deviated from the righteous path and did things I'm not proud of. But the Je'daii saved me and took me away from that. And now I'm here on Lithios, trying to survive."

Lilla Syrin

Lilla gratefully accepted the noodles. She had been spoiled since arriving at the Republic Remnant Jedi Order. Until then, she never knew when her next meal was coming from. Now? She had access to a refectory that served three square meals a day and snacks at all other times – given Jedi did not necessarily live lives that were entirely stable – or in any way related to standard office hours.

She’df put on a little weight, but mostly muscle, as she’d found the increased calorie intake enabled her to have a more active life – one where she studied diligently, but also practiced practical abilities and also kept fit through exercise.

Food was still, in essence, a fuel, but she appreciated the effort a chef went to in offering a hand-cooked meal, and the steaming dish in front of her was aromatic in a most delightful way.

The Jed’aii’s story was sad – as so many around the galaxy were. Regardless, he’d endured more than most – and substantially more than anyone should have to.
Lilla listened and ate at the same time – it would be rude to either to ignore their contribution to the conversation.

"Survival? Is that your sole goal now? To get by? I can understand a Jed’aii being here – there are plenty of chances to help effect a balance, but to me – and please don’t be offended – surviving seems to sell the Jed’aii short. Or have I misinterpreted?”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LITHIOS
Downtown, Ethos City

Ar'ekk did not taken any offense on the comment because she was right, at some extent. Shuffling on his side and slurping more noodles with the help of the chopsticks, the man motioned over to the girl and spoke his mind again.

"I have held too many titles in my life that I think selling the Je'daii short is wrong to say. I am not the face of them despite belonging to the order at some level. Don't forget I am or used to be a Jedi Knight and something else I don't want to tell."

"Have been called hero once, after the war. But I didn't feel like it, just like I don't feel I'm a Je'daii, Jedi or else. I prefer to believe I am a person who lives as a lonewolf without a set path."

That was the way Ar'ekk saw his life in crystal clarity, a simple person trying to live by with the gift he was given such as the Force. Call him whatever you want to call him, but he never felt like he belonged to any of those things.

Just a man trying to live by the everyday struggles, make most of it by helping those who need it and deal with many other things.

"They are simply titles for a person that has been scarred since day one."

He didn't want Lilla to feel sorry for him and made sure that point was conveyed clearly through his storytelling. Things happen in life and he has dealt with them accordingly. Most preoccupations faded away long ago, like tears in the rain.

Lilla Syrin

Lilla listened and, as was her way, she did not judge. She listened and she rationalised things in her own mind — comparing and contrasting and forming broad opinions of how she should behave herself. But that did not extend to a critical view of how anyone else lived their life.

Laws were laws but morality was at best subjective — and so she typically held counsel unless her thoughts were requested.

And so it was with Ar’ekk. She knew he had a far more challenging story than he was letting on, and she accepted his course of action as being right for him.

“The term ‘hero’ is, I suspect overrated. I do what I do because it is my duty. In a sense, I have no choice. Which makes me as far from a hero as you can get therefore.”

“So, the thoughts I have right now, are the same as I share with my Padawans. Walk your own path - nobody else’s. And see where that leads. Be true to your heart and it’s unlikely you’ll end up anywhere you shouldn’t. It’s when you override what you know to be true that problems tend to arise.”

“And titles are just a way for others to judge us. If you lived alone on a planet, you’d never award yourself a title — which just goes to show how unimportant they are.”

[member="Arekk"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom