Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrion Calling

Jek-Tar Bar
Nar Shaddaa
Being on Nar Shaddaa was not something Arlan ever liked to do, but in certain situations he would force himself unto the smuggler's moon. Tonight his reasons for coming were in the form of a meeting with another potential member for the company, one he had heard a good deal about. Of course he didn't always go out of his way to meet with recruits, but for those with special skills to offer he would make an exception. The man he was meeting with supposedly would provide the company with the undue muscle and skill it would need to take on contracts of a more 'serious' nature. That was something Arlan was highly interested in, seeing as to how all of their contracts up until this point had been that of a high effort, low yield sort. If this , Varik Ryjin, was truly the man of such repute Arlan had been informed of then perhaps this particular trip to the cesspit known as Nar Shaddaa wouldn't be quite so bad after all.

So, as it were, Arlan entered the Jek0Tar Bar a local cantina in which he was scheduled to meet with Varik. A quick glance around let Arlan know this was the sort of place wayward mercenaries frequented often, another let him find his way to Varik. He sat at the bar, alone, an air of seriousness over him. Arlan smiled, not finding the man wallowing in the drink was a boon he could count gratefully at this point. Far too many of his compatriots couldn't hold their ale, at least this man could from how it seemed. Arlan approached, ducking in and out of the crowd as he made his way to the bar. His hand would reach for a stool and pull it out next to the man before throwing his hand up to order a drink.

"You're Varik aren't you?" Arlan asked, eyes facing the bartender. "Name's Arlan, I'm here to offer you a job."

[member="Varik Ryjin"]

The sleek black canine coiled up at Varik's feet raised its head as the man approached, a low growl emanating from its throat that any save Varik would be hard-pressed to hear. "Easy." He could feel nothing threatening from the man as he drew nearer, and while there were some who had skill in deflecting the suspicions of psychics, Varik had an appointment here, and it just so happened he was right on time. The Blackstalker dropped its head to rest once again upon its paws, and Varik turned to glance at the man as he took a seat next to him.

"You're late." He wasn't. "Who referred you, and what sort of job is it you're offering?" Varik wasn't really the type to fuss with pleasantries, but he did have a basic understanding of negotiation tactics. Step one, put them on the defensive. Step two, take control of the dialogue. If you could succeed in those, you could steer the conversation wherever you wanted, and very often come out much further ahead than you'd planned. Or at the very least, not any further behind.

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]

Jek-Tar Bar
Nar Shaddaa
Arlan caught a side glance of the creature huddling up and the floor near Varik's feat, but keeping his eyes forward and his interest in it unnoticeable. The bartender brought over a glass of Corellian Ale, something that was getting harder to find and more expensive every day. Arlan pressed the glass to his lips and took a long swig of the liquor. A taste of home, nothing like it, after which he would looked towards Varik for the first time and nod. He was indeed late, something that Arlan was known for among his associates. It was, however; something he had picked up more for his own protection than anything else. Better to be the last one in the door, able to see all players present; than the first and have your back to the door. I had been a habit he hadn't been able to shake even after he had become less of a field operative and more the commander as his title suggested.

"Sorry about that, old habits." Is all Arlan would say for a moment, his eyes fixated upon the man sizing him up. "One of my men came back from a job and hinted at your skill. I make it a point to at least try to meet any mercenary of note that comes into the Outer Rim." Arlan mused, scratching his beard for a moment and sighing. "As for the job, well The Carrion Company is looking for good men all the time. Someone with your capabilities would fit right in. We pay pretty good, at least better than the cartel would, but it's a team effort. That sort of thing isn't for everyone." Arlan nodded to himself more than to Varik. "We're making waves right now. If you sign up I can promise no shortage of contracts at the very least."

[member="Varik Ryjin"]

"Uh huh." Varik looked unconvinced. "Does this man of yours have a name?" Even if he didn't, Varik wasn't planning on turning the man down. It wasn't that work was scarce, the galaxy was in chaos right now and that was always good for business. It's just that there were some jobs, better paying ones, that would only get offered to merc units. Whether that was because of their level of difficulty, a preference on the part of the client, or some other reason didn't much matter. All that did was the payout, and even with a split a company job usually netted more profit than the solo ones. It would certainly make paying for that new armorweave jumpsuit a heckuva lot easier.

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]

Jek-Tar Bar
Nar Shaddaa
Arlan smirked, Varik was a sharp one. Arlan spun his glass a time or two, looking at the swirling ale as if no big hurry to rush these discussions. He had been to many of such meetings in the past months, trying to build of the company with a more capable breed of soldier to mix in with the cut and dry fodder his group had attracted during it's outset. So far he had been able to secure the employment of several of such men, but Varik would add another level of complexity to the troupe as a whole. So, as it were, Arlan chuckled and looked to the man a second time. Though things seemed to be in a bit of a precarious state, Arlan truly doubted his companion to be quite as off putting as he was letting on at the moment. Most men, mercenaries especially, tended to want to upper hand in all facets of life. Conversation was no excepting and even Arlan had to admit guilt for trying to gain control of many such instances he had been in. Now though was not the time for that, so he would yield in this little debate to sate Varik's bravado and move on with the conversation.

"It was either Whitney, or Gilbert, I forget his name." Arlan nodded. "There's more of them than I've had time to remember, but his word matters just the same." Arlan continued. "So, are you interested or do you need more convincing?"

[member="Varik Ryjin"]

"If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't be sitting here." In truth, the actual name of the contact mattered little, and Varik had no recollection of meeting a Whitney or Gilbert. Just the fact that he'd given the name instead of trying to leverage control out of the question was a good sign. "How's this gonna work? Am I gonna be stuck with you via contract or can I do my own thing when you don't have work?" He'd more or less decided he was going to join up, now all that remained was hashing out the details. "And what about pay? How are the jobs split?" He knew most merc company leaders got a cut of every job whether they helped or not, but the rates tended to vary from company to company.

Jek-Tar Bar
Nar Shaddaa
Arlan took another quick swig from his glass and listened yo Varik's question, nodding ever so slightly every now and then. Arlan could see a lot of similarities between himself and Varik, and was surprised he had only just now heard of the man. Mercenaries usually came in two different sorts in the galaxy, those that never shut their mouths and those that never opened them. Most of the time, generally speaking, the guys that talked up a big game and boasted of their accomplishments tended to be more bark than bite. The one's that never spoke up, they were the ones that got the serious jobs done and the ones you did not want to cross. Arlan liked to think he fit into that latter category, and somewhere in the galaxy at this moment someone was talking about ole Rosh in hushed voices. He's been in this line of work for a long time, and hoped he had just a little notoriety to his name. Part of being around so long though was being able to spot others that held themselves in a similar fashion, and such was the truth of Varik.

"We have a contract for you to sign, but it's more a formality than anything else." Arlan spoke coyly. "Most of the larger companies and governments won't allow undocumented men to be hired on for their jobs so we do it mostly to appease them. Other than that we need something on file in case you keel over in the field, makes it easier on us processing the corpse and all that." He smirked and shook his head. "Our guys don't work exclusive, or don't have to anyway. If you get a contract from someone that doesn't come through the company then pursue it, but while on private contracts you aren't affiliated with the company in any way. That means no support if things go tits up." Another chuckle would escape his lips as Arlan continued to talk. "The company takes thirty percent of all contracts that come through it, despite who completes it. We provide transportation, weapons, equipment, all that stuff so we take our fair share. The rest is divided evenly among everyone that participates in an operation."

[member="Varik Ryjin"]

"Fair enough." He'd been half ready to walk when the man came up with the thirty percent figure, but that had been when he was assuming it was a BYOT (Bring Your Own Toys) operation. Thirty percent was more than fair for a company that provided a full ride. "I'm in." That settled, Varik waved the bartender over and finally ordered himself a drink. "Deuterium Pyro, if you've got it." The barkeep nodded and set to work making the drink.

Turning his attention back to his new employer, Varik downed the shot in one go, scalding his throat the whole way down. Somehow, his voice remained steady when next he spoke, rather than the weak croak it probably should have been. "So, Arlan. Where and when do we start?"

[member="Arlan Zy'rosh"]

Jek-Tar Bar
Nar Shaddaa
Arlan knew what he offered was above par compared to what most of the other groups similar to The Carrion Company were dishing out. He knew that most say it as a godsend and signed up and were out on a job before the ink was even dry on their paperwork, so to speak. He also knew, what many of them didn't, was that the work they did wasn't done in the typical mercenary fashion. For years Arlan had been trying to shift away from being a mercenary troupe, and becoming an organized military force for hire. Not that paramilitary contractors were rare or had some sort of higher morals than mercenary groups, just that Arlan felt it was a necessary step to becoming legitimate widely recognized. For that to happen he and his men couldn't saunter into a job half drunk and ready to spray slugs in every direction. For that to happen he and all his men had to be professionals. At least Arlan didn't have to worry about pounding that into the mind of Varik, because from what Arlan could tell the man was as professional as they come.

"I have a ship in orbit." Arlan said as he stood. "You can meet be there or follow us to Rutan. We'll fill out all the paperwork there and then you can pursue our open contracts. Nothing left for me to tell you I suppose, other than this." Arlan extended his hand. "Welcome to the company."

[member="Varik Ryjin"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom