Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap vs Iron Man = Jedi vs Sith?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Captain America: Civil War...

(Spoilers allowed)
(Links PG-13)

...The following is a link to a Gawker Media article that references the writers of Captain America: Civil War, and their opinion about who the audience should side with in that movie. Do they side with Captain America's view of independent action? Or, do they side with Iron Man's view of government oversight?

The answer from the writer's perspective is... Neither.

Their rational is not so much to drive home a point. But rather, to create a conversation for the audience to debate. Not to say that one side is right or that one side is wrong? But to create an atmosphere where a discussion can take place from both perspectives. Using both Cap and Stark, as protagonists AND antagonists. At the same time. Two heroes. Two foils. Where nothing about their conflict is painted in black and white.

Is Jedi vs Sith?...

...Where everything is painted in black and white.

Yet? Anybody who RPs for longer than a day can quickly begin to see the shades of gray. Where, Sith Knight Bob is really just a misunderstand teenager and is always played as the Anti-Hero of his own writer's epic saga. He is often foiled by Jedi Knight Sara, a clear mixture of human tragedy and bad decision making herself. Yet, she is also portrayed by her writer as the hero of her own personal space sage.

Two protagonists. Two antagonists. Two heroes, at the same time. Where the long streaks of black and white are only as vivid and colorful as the imagination of their own respective writers. Two heroes. Two foils. And to whom should we as the audience side with?

The answer from this writer's perspective is... Whoever you want to. Lol.

Great Entertainment

Creates great discussion.

Much like where I myself got to debate the pros-and-cons of Captain America's independent stance with my brother's strong pro-Iron Man position. And. Much like where we as a website get to discuss the merits of a Sith's acceptance of human emotion foiled nearby with the Jedi's ward against human passions too wealthy to govern. The easy answer is never a clear one either. Two sides. Two foils. Always played by their writers as THE heroic figures. Both of which can be found on either side of the coin.

In closing, I greatly valued the article above for it's insights into how to craft a story of both two protagonists and two antagonists, the same. Because it is a constant reminder to me that as I write both hero and villain, so two can I also merit simply two heroes or two villains, the same. Two sides of the same coin. Where black vs white can always equal: black vs black, or white vs white, the same.

And to whom should you as my audience side with? Well. Maybe great entertainment can make winners of them both. :D

Jay Scott Clark said:
Captain America: Civil War...

(Spoilers allowed)
(Links PG-13)

...The following is a link to a Gawker Media article that references the writers of Captain America: Civil War, and their opinion about who the audience should side with in that movie. Do they side with Captain America's view of independent action? Or, do they side with Iron Man's view of government oversight?

The answer from the writer's perspective is... Neither.

Their rational is not so much to drive home a point. But rather, to create a conversation for the audience to debate. Not to say that one side is right or that one side is wrong? But to create an atmosphere where a discussion can take place from both perspectives. Using both Cap and Stark, as protagonists AND antagonists. At the same time. Two heroes. Two foils. Where nothing about their conflict is painted in black and white.
Here is my problem, taking into account I have not seen the movie yet, neither of these guys are anything near bad guys. Cap is your pure heart always fighting for the little guy Justice prevails but raised during a period when Governments, mainly Germany's, did some really crappy things. So you kind of understand his fear that the US Government could be doing the same.

Tony Stark is more Anti-hero but still not a bad guy. Through his own actions realized that some times it takes a friend or trusted ally, in his Rhodes, to make you take a step back and think what have I been doing and why. Overall in his case between his Army Liaison buddy and Shield pushing him in the right direction became what he was. He acknowledges that there are people like him who are maybe on the edge between good/bad and could use a little push in the right direction.

Jay Scott Clark said:
Is Jedi vs Sith?...

...Where everything is painted in black and white.

Yet? Anybody who RPs for longer than a day can quickly begin to see the shades of gray. Where, Sith Knight Bob is really just a misunderstand teenager and is always played as the Anti-Hero of his own writer's epic saga. He is often foiled by Jedi Knight Sara, a clear mixture of human tragedy and bad decision making herself. Yet, she is also portrayed by her writer as the hero of her own personal space sage.

Two protagonists. Two antagonists. Two heroes, at the same time. Where the long streaks of black and white are only as vivid and colorful as the imagination of their own respective writers. Two heroes. Two foils. And to whom should we as the audience side with?

The answer from this writer's perspective is... Whoever you want to. Lol.
It begs the question whether the intention or the outcome matters more. Both have good intentions but completely different outcomes. Me personally I have to go with Tony Stark on this one. There is nothing wrong with a "voice of reason" in your ear. You can still decide on your own whether or not to listen to it.

Jay Scott Clark said:
Great Entertainment

Creates great discussion.

Much like where I myself got to debate the pros-and-cons of Captain America's independent stance with my brother's strong pro-Iron Man position. And. Much like where we as a website get to discuss the merits of a Sith's acceptance of human emotion foiled nearby with the Jedi's ward against human passions too wealthy to govern. The easy answer is never a clear one either. Two sides. Two foils. Always played by their writers as THE heroic figures. Both of which can be found on either side of the coin.

In closing, I greatly valued the article above for it's insights into how to craft a story of both two protagonists and two antagonists, the same. Because it is a constant reminder to me that as I write both hero and villain, so two can I also merit simply two heroes or two villains, the same. Two sides of the same coin. Where black vs white can always equal: black vs black, or white vs white, the same.

And to whom should you as my audience side with? Well. Maybe great entertainment can make winners of them both. :D
I have said from the release of the first trailer it was gonna to be awesome no matter which side "won".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom