Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Cairsus Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
realistic_night_fury_by_iero_lau-d8u2213.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To further flesh out the fauna of New Plympto
  • ​Image Credit: ScalyFloof
  • Canon: N/A
  • Links: [X] [X] [X]
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Cairsus Dragon
  • Designation: Semi-Sentient
  • Homeworld: New Plympto
  • Language: N/A
  • Average Lifespan: Average lifespan is 200-250 years, but the oldest specimen found was approximately 380 years
  • Estimated Population: Rare
  • Description: The Cairsus is a large reptile-like being, with six limbs - four clawed legs and two large wings. Their scales are onyx black or dark grey, very sturdy, and they have bright blue bioluminescent eyes.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Atmosphere Type I
  • Average height of adults: 4.3m
  • Average length of adults: 12.8m
  • Average wingspan of adults: 32m
  • Skin color: Black, Dark Grey
  • Hair color: N/A
  • Distinctions: Females can be distinguished from males by blue-green striping along their necks.
  • Races: N/A
Strengths
  • Force Sensitive: While not capable of utilizing the Force like a sentient being, the Cairsus benefits from a strong connection to it, allowing for several benefits such as enhanced senses and passive precognition.
  • Fire Breath: Utilizing a combination of pressurized hydrogen sulfide and a reaction between potassium permanganate and glycerin, the Cairsus Dragon is capable of releasing a steady stream of flame at a maximum recorded temperature of 2650°C. This helps not only with hunting and cooking prey, but with defending itself against enemies in the wild. It has also been speculated that utilizing this flame helps with egg incubation, but no exact evidence of this has been observed in the wild.
  • Armored Scales and Claws: The exact process is unknown but the Cairsus Dragon’s scales have been found to possess an extremely thin layer of zersium and neutronium, two metals present in the rocks they occasionally eat, which provides serious reinforcement against attacks, though it is by no means impregnable. The neutronium is also present in trace amounts alongside with extremely high levels of keratin in their claws, making them very durable and dangerous.
  • Flight: Utilizing two large specialized bladders to store lighter-than-air nitrogen gas the dragon is capable of flight over long distances, allowing it to balance itself and keep aloft for several kilometers at a time.
  • Agile: Despite its size and wings, the Cairsus is a very agile creature on land and in the air, tucking its wings inside while grounded and crawling on four clawed feet to hunt prey. It can easily wind itself around large trees in pursuit, and flick its tail as a blunt weapon to strike at creatures behind and to the sides.
Weaknesses
  • Eyes: The eyes and tissues around them are unprotected and exceptionally sensitive to outside threats such as blaster fire or physical weaponry. Even a single hit from a standard blaster can cause enough pain to force one intro a retreat, and more powerful weaponry can cause blindness or even kill it.
  • Very Low Birth Rates: The species is observed to reproduce via ovuliparity, meaning that the females lay unfertilized eggs which are later fertilized by the males. Several factors covered below have lead to the species lacking in population to the point where eggs often go unfertilized, leaving the species endangered as it has very low birth rates.
  • Large Food Requirements: The Cairsus Dragon requires a significant amount of food for several reasons. Firstly its large size requires a significant caloric intake to provide enough energy to even move. Secondly it requires two gases released during digestion in order to supply its flame breath with fuel and make it light enough to fly: nitrogen and hydrogen sulfide. Without proper supply of food they can lose use of both of these crucial adaptations.
  • Finite Hydrogen Sulfide Stores: The internal bladder used to store its supply of hydrogen sulfide used in flame production is limited in size, growing to a specific volume capacity as the creature matures. At most it can hold enough of the gas to supply several seconds of continuous flame, but once expelled, the creatures will be unable to utilize the ability again until they feed and digest their prey, which can take upwards of ten to twelve hours.
  • Flight Limitations: Related to the above, the Cairsus Dragon’s twin nitrogen bladders can only hold a finite amount, allowing for an estimated three to nine hours of flight before requiring landing. The nitrogen in these bladders is naturally disposed of in excrement, which is a benefit to natural environments, but also forces the dragons ot hunt again and replenish these stores before flight can be attained, a similar ten to twelve hours as the hydrogen sulfide requirements.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Omnivore. The Cairsus Dragon’s diet primarily consists of organic creatures in order to provide the necessary energy and organic matter to break down into nitrogen and hydrogen sulfide, but also eats plant matter in small amounts. They’ve also been noted to possess limited silicavore tendencies, though special attention has shown they only eat rocks containing zersium and neutronium, which is understandable as both metals have been found in small amounts in their scales and claws.
  • Communication: Cairsus communicate primarily through body language and rough vocalizations such as grunts, growls, roars, and other basic noises.
  • Technology level: N/A
  • Religion/Beliefs: N/A
  • General behavior: Cairsus are solitary creatures, meeting only by accident in the wild or during mating times to fertilize eggs. They are omnivores, eating not only meat and plant matter but ores as well in small amounts, but show a definite preference for carnivorous behavior and hunting. They are highly intelligent, having been observed to remember previously visited locations and returning there later, as well as showing basic problem-solving abilities short only those of sentient, sapient beings. They are known to be sensitive to the Force, much like the Vornskr of Myrkr, though not capable of utilizing the Force actively. Still, they’ve been observed to exhibit behavior in line with such force powers such as precognition while hunting, predicting with high accuracy where their prey will be.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION

Cairsus dragons were once relatively populous on New Plympto, though remained in more remote regions of the planet, avoiding contact with the natives mostly. Still, they were known enough for scientists before the Gulag Plague to have relatively good accounting of their behavior and physiology. While it was estimated several thousand of the dragons once roamed New Plympto, the effects of both the Yuuzhan Vong bioweapon and the Gulag Plague wiped out the majority of the population, and the current population is essentially a reintroduced species following the hatching of several eggs returned to the planet after its recovery. Thus both male and female specimens number only in the low hundreds, laying few eggs and having even fewer fertilized, resulting in very low birth rates and the classification of the Cairsus Dragon as an endangered species.

Related biologically to the native Nosaurians, the Cairsus dragon as a species diverged from their sentient brethren approximately 9.5 to 11 million years ago. Some connections can still be seen in that the Cairsus can ‘flash’ its mouth, though unlike the Nosaurians which use bioluminescent material, the Cairsus combines potassium permanganate and glycerin, through an unknown production process, to create an unstable flame at the center of its mouth. The Cairsus, however, has a much more practical reason for this flash: it is used as the catalyst when combined with pressurized hydrogen sulfide to create a stream of flames used for hunting and cooking its prey to make it easier to chew.

Recently they have fallen out of much of the public's eye, their small numbers making them much rarer than even before the plague. Seeing one is considered a great occasion due to their known aversion to contact with sentient species such as humans and Nosaurians. At most one might expect, if they were to ever see one, nothing more than a glance at distance as one is in flight.

Errreembuhr said:
Homeworld: New Plympto
Link to this please.

Errreembuhr said:
Average Lifespan: Oldest specimen found was approximately 380 years old
I can understand being vague for story reasons but could I get something of a rough estimate for lifespan?

Errreembuhr said:
zersium and neutronium
Links to these as well please, as well as an explanation on how eating metals make it present in their scales... Just from a scientific perspective it is tricky to see how one have metal skin from eating metal.

Errreembuhr said:
Another link here as well

Also, I can't seem to see where the dragon creates a spark to ignite the gas to set it alight. I would also like the see a wingspan length as well.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"] added the links first since it's the easy stuff. Also added a wingspan under physical information.

Regarding the metals present in its scales and claws, I'll admit that I don't have any evidence for a process by which eating/digesting the minerals would result in them being present in a bodily structure. My use of it here was based, in part, on some real-world creatures which have at least Earth metal minerals in their armor such as the scaly-foot gastropod and common snails. While the Cairsus' scales aren't entirely made of the minerals, they are present in small but substantial enough amounts to increase density and protective ability without compromising its ability to fly. I thought it would be interesting to include something like this, however if it's too much of a stretch, I'm fine with removing them from the submission and simply having them made up of higher concentrations of keratin, which is more in line with something like a pangolin.

Another more difficult one is the creation of the spark. I spent several hours scouring the internet to find ways for a flame to be created naturally, and while I found several chemical combinations(including the one I used in the description area) that could work, none of the chemicals used were naturally occurring. So I settled on potassium permanganate and glycerin, which creates a flame, and left the 'how' regarding its presence in the body and combination vague because honestly I'm not a chemist or a biologist, but I wanted it to be as close to realistically possible as I could get it.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

If you add that the scales of the metals is a thin layer then I feel more confident in allowing this.

With the fire breath, I understand this is complicated. I could quote Dragonriders of Pern as a source for science based dragons but they use a gas that ignites when in contact with the air.

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"] made the edit you requested regarding the metals. As for the fire breath I had done a bit of reading into how the Pern dragons breathed fire and considered it, but in the description I mentioned that the Cairsus dragon is distantly related to Nosaurians, having diverted evolution-wise millions of years ago. The reason I wanted there to be a flame included rather than a combination of gases was to give a sort of connection to the 'flash' that Nosaurians are capable of as sort of a vestigial remnant of that ability.

That's fair. I can't anything else that is too outrageous now so going to put this as pending.

[member="Allyson Locke"] | [member="Zeradias Mant"] | [member="Irajah Ven"]

[member="Errreembuhr"]

Unfortunately, Codex does not accept blanket Force Sensitivity in a species at this time:

4. Completely Force sensitive/dead species may not be submitted except in the case of a Staff sanctioned challenge/contest reward or with explicit permission from Staff.
I'm going to need you to change that please.

[member="Irajah Ven"] does that extend to any type of connection with the force, period? As I laid out under the section regarding its sensitivity it's limited only to passive abilities and is incapable of actually utilizing force powers.

[member="Errreembuhr"]

After talking with [member="Allyson Locke"], the passive aspects of the FS are fine- agility, the passive precog. The main thing is that species are allowed to have passive things, but not conscious or deliberate uses. So all I'm going to ask with that one is that you change the 'communicate with other FSs' to something about communication in species, or remove it. That becomes too much like a conscious power (since communication is a conscious thing).

I am also going to need you to add one more hard weakness. As of yesterday I paused at the FS thing (for obvious reasons, though we've sorted those out). Right now we have several very hard strengths that are potentially good for combat(things that are good all the time- subconscious precog, agility, flight, fire breathing, armor), versus weaknesses that are fluff (low birth rate, must eat a lot) or simply the limitations on the above strengths (can still fly for hours, etc). So what I need is either one really solid weakness that can be exploited in PvP or two situational weaknesses (also that can be used in PvP). Since we have so many strengths of that sort, I need at least something in way of weaknesses in the same function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom