Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Caché Forest

Header-BG.png

CHOICES, CHOICES
Tags: Mahaut Mahaut

Sir Duncan looked to Mahaut with a considerate expression. "Well, this is certainly a matter only you can handle my Lady. As for options? Well there are a few before you." He explained. "You can meet with the Sieur and ascertain if he is the one responsible. Of course, he could easily deny the accusation." The Knight stated simply.

"As for a higher power..." The Knight considered carefully. "Aye that is possible. The highest power to be report to would be the Baron, Lord D'jean who commands this continent. However the Baron is an exceptionally busy man and spends most of his time in the capitol. It could very well be weeks before we heard back from him." He said softly, placing a hand over his well hemmed beard and stroking it carefully. "House Dantes...they are under the banner of House...Valuer? I believe. Yes, Count Valuer. He plans to wed his eldest daughter to the Lord Dantes. Now we could request the Count interject on your behalf...however he is more likely to trust his own bannerman than you, I'm afraid." He said, admittedly.

"Now. There is...a third option always available to you. If ever you find enough proof to incriminate the Sieur then you may order your men to arrest him under the Rule of Law. This would demand the oversight of the Baron as it would be considered an internal conflict of the Nobility of this province. However, I advise you to be very careful of such dealings. The Rule of Law is honored by all but it is not to say you would not make many enemies doing such and if you do not produce fair evidence to the Baron then you can be punished for a false accusation."

"Oh...well i suppose there does exist another option. You can entreat House Meanur for aid. They're lord is a Count who rivals Count Valuer and could likely pressure House Dantes into a corner. As a Count he has the ear of the Baron as well, but again this could make enemies for you and we do not know if the Count will be...sympathetic to your plight. Besides, all things come with a cost." He explained.

Bottom-BG.png

Mahaut

~ Confessor Bernadine Archam ~
She nodded at the Knight respectfully.

Options.

Too many for her premature tastes, but certainly preferable to less. She followed, keeping mental notes - Bon Harve had not the weeks to wait; aye, Valuer was a risk, as was Meanur. In such, the Rule of Law seemed most promising, logical. Evidence, after all, was empirical, was it not? She opened her mouth, but the declaration she had planned for in favor of investigation did not fly forth. Instead, she remembered her decision of just this morning, one she wished even now she had explored further before making, and asked a question of Elaeana:

"A fertilizer, you say. Could we till it from the soil?" Mahaut had spent some time as a farmer in Gwenaël. "That would be a grave expense, but surely no graver than losing our trees." And, if they could even recover a bit of it... "I know it doesn't yet live, but did your grandfather keep any part of his afflicted tree?"

Header-BG.png

ELAENA

When the Sieur asked her question, the woman held a hand to her chin. She turned her eyes to the trees surrounding them and shook her head. "We can m'lady but we have no way of knowing if that would work. As it is now...we can have all of the trees cleared of their current soil and re-soiled in five days, maybe four if I bring some of my own men." She revealed. "It would be easier if we knew what components made up the fertilizer, then perhaps we could treat the trees, but I'm not certain that would work."

When the Sieur asked about the tree, she shook her head. "No My Lady it was barely half grown and that was years ago, I believe it was burned that winter." She admitted.

Bottom-BG.png

Mahaut

"So, either is just as risky: re-soiling or treatment?" she mused aloud. "Well, it's our - my? - word against his until we find something more substantial to bring."

Again, she thought that, even though path of the law was very well and good, the western groves may not have time to substantially follow it. Considering those circumstances, a petition to House Meanur seemed their only hope. Not ideal, but for now most practical.

"I will entreat House Meanur for aid," Mahaut decided, nodding at Sir Duncan. Then, for Elaena, she added, "Re-soil half the trees. I would rather leave with a chance to save that many than the possibility of losing them all."

Last edited:
Header-BG.png

COUNT MEANUR

The Knight of the Mind bowed his head respectfully. "Very good, my lady. I shall request an audience at once. Lord...Alexandre? I believe it is Count Alexandre. He has been known to be a rather fickle man in terms of vision, however his House has always been an honorable one. He is not his father, but certainly a Lord of some renown."

The elder man turned back to the speeder that had brought them to the sight. When the Knight left, Elaena turned to the Lady and bowed her head respectfully. "Aye, m'lady. No worries, we'll do our best." She offered a warm smile, however none could be sure if it was a reflection of her true faith behind the attempt. Not long after the woman ventured off, the Knight returned with an even smile upon his lips. "M'lady, Lord Meanur is prepared to receive you this evening for coffee and to discuss the plight around your lands. We shall spend the rest of the day practicing your courtesies and ensuring you are prepared for the meeting at his Castle. Let us return to the manor for now."

~~~
House Meanur
original.jpg

"Our eyes see all."

At the edge of the Western Coast lays a well kept castle formed with many of the finer woods the lands can offer. During the Great Wars House Meanur was infamously known for remaining NEUTRAL in all conflicts. Their people, traditionally seaman and loggers, were able to enjoy a certain peace due to their lands being so close to the coast, therefor easy to defend and difficult to siege. Little is known about the House in modern days, save for they enjoy a good deal of privacy.

Towards the end of the day, the Sieur of Bon Havre arrived at Count Meanur's castle. A wooden wall half-hid the castle. Though the large wooden structure was impressive to a Sieur such as Mahaut, it was not the greatest in the land.

At the main gate an attendant met the Sieur and her detail that she brought along. A young woman met the Sieur with a happy smile. "Bonjour my lady. I am Serenata and I will be bringing you and your party to my Lord." The woman led the Sieur into the compound. The people within were quiet, reserved and kept to themselves. Once reaching the castle, the doors within were thrown open by local security for the Count. The Sieur and her party were led to a warm lounge room where several empty cups were prepared for them. The young woman gestured to the seats before smiling. "My lord will arrive shortly. Please take a seat."
Bottom-BG.png

Mahaut

There had been a saying among the Gwenaëlites:

Suffoquer pour mourir de faim.

Suffer in the mines to die at your kitchen table. The outcome - death - was certain, an eventuality, but one that by that very definition could be pushed into the horizon. A problem for a future version of yourself. Not a very kind gift to give, but if life was not kind to you why be so in exchange to yourself?

Though, the case Mahaut found herself in now, bearing the title Sieur and the name Bernadine, differed in one substantial way from her life as an indentured miner. She had been given the means to avoid starvation. Strike it form the realm of possibility, not just for herself but for her People. Just that she swore to do, a bit more to spite the nightmare of Achille than to do right by Bon Havre.

"Very well. Thank you." She sat down as beckoned, glancing from Amer to Duncan before settling her gaze on the foyer's décor. The Knight's afternoon etiquette lesson had been abbreviated but wholly educational. Being here was indeed a grand test of self-discipline - to, say. not gaze upon every single thing in Alexandre's lands with prolonged awe. She had kept tight reign on her curiosity as she had followed Serenata through the city, but now, here waiting, she felt it appropriate to let up. Still, her action was not without is purpose; she thought she might well take both fashionable and design inspiration from powerful figures around her if she so wished to be one too.

All the while, she did not forget herself.

After and above all, don't slouch.

Header-BG.png

LORD MEANUR

"My Lady!" A voice called out with a measure of extravagance. As the doors to the foyer were opened to present the L
989091ff4a99b402314f1eb9d8528ceb.jpg
ord of House Meanur
, his voice took prominence in the room. He was a fairly handsome man with common enough features. He had sandy brown hair and a well maintained beard, although there was a small scar upon his top lip. As he entered, he bowed his head respectfully to the Lady. "I apologize for the wait, Sieur of Bon Havre. I am Count Claudian Meanur, Lord of La Fin Du Chemin." He walked behind the lady, pulling her chair out for her so she may take her seat once again. "Please." He insisted.

Once the Lady took her seat, the Count stood over her with a single hand placed behind his back. "Coffee? Tea? Perhaps something with a bit more body? We have a fine wine imported from Naboo, a gift from my cousin who has just joined the ranks of the Knight's Obsidian in The Confederacy. So amazing, is it not? For how massive our own world there is truly a whole galaxy for us to behold." He chuckled softly. After Mahaut made apparent what she would like to drink, the Count took his own seat on the other side of the wooden table. A single hand running smoothly over the surface. "Summerwood. Some of the finest lumber you can find in my land. Hard as iron, smooth as silk, the King himself complimented it...Well, in so many words." He chuckled, almost nervously.

"Now, I believe I will enjoy a cup of cafe and..." He pulled out a box of tobac, setting it upon the table before looking to the Lady. "May I smoke? It really pairs well with the coffee." He said. If Mahaut had no problem with it, the young lord would open the window beside him before prepping his pipe. After the drinks were served and the pipe was lit, the Count exhaled in relief. "Ahh, much better atmosphere, you agree?" He smiled, before gesturing the mouth of his pipe towards the woman.

"So, I have a fickle little man for an advisor. A Knight of the mind, not unlike your Sir Duncan." His brown eyes flashed keenly to Duncan, before the man continued. "He told me that House...Archam, is it? Aye, House Archam is having some soil troubles. Not ten minutes later was it that your Knight reached out to me, I assume that is what we are here to discuss?" He wondered.

Bottom-BG.png

Mahaut

She took a deep but shuddering breath as she sat in the chair pulled out for her. Il est très beau, was all she could think for the first moments he stood at attention beside her.

After he moved, sat, and asked, she forced the words, "That sounds lovely," from her throat in reference to the offer of wine. "Yes," too, confirming it was alright he smoke, though it made her skin crawl back into the Phrik mines.

Conversing would be just like writing, she told herself; nay, dictating to Gabin. Just as with the L'éloge de Gwenaël, she would say her piece with conviction and defend it until her dying breath. She just hoped that Count Meanur would not require as much, as Achille almost had that day up on the made-gallows. While she couldn't stretch the vision of the Count to her friend's memory with the first's blonde hair and scarred countenance, Mahaut did find their air similar enough upon the surface, and that was enough. Calmness steadily sat upon her. Her chest filled and let out slow. She maintained eye contact.

"I do..." It was an altogether better atmosphere though she was not fully comfortable. But if this negotiation was to go over well, she would have to cater to him. "Mhm." She nodded somewhat nervously at his guess as to her crowned house name, as even she was still altering it to size. "And again. You assume rightly."

She took dainty hold of the wine glass an attendant offered her.

"My western groves wither, ready to die," she explained further, pausing to take a sip of the beverage. It went down smoother than any alcohol she and Gabin had even illegally fermented under tyranny, but the stakes now offered her just as much adrenaline. And such was surely a better pairing than tobacc and caf. "Forester Elaena from my lands informs me she has seen the infecting rot once before. Apparently, her grandfather encountered in in a woodrace against--"

A sudden shift silently infested her gut. She stalled her speech, raising an open hand to her mouth. Oh, mon Dieu, she thought as the sensation crept up her throat. The pace was steady but quick, and in a moment she decided she had to race it to its climax. She got as far as setting down her vessel, a controlled movement all things considered, and sitting back as to avoid knocking it over when a belch pushed out of her lips.

She felt the heat of redness on her face immediately. "Excusez-moi, my Lord." An excuse. What excuse? Any excuse. She fumbled through her vocabulary, searching for one or another. And then, she grabbed at one. A long shot, but maybe he would accept it. "I must not be used to the... richness of Naboo.

"M-might I try some mild tea instead?"

Last edited:
Header-BG.png

LORD MEANUR

When Mahaut spoke of her western grove, Lord Meanur seemed empathetic to her plight. He was silent and thoughtful as he listened to the troubles of House Archam. Well, that was until the Lady set her wine down to let out a rather embarrassing belch. The Lord's eyes quirked in surprise before he cleared his throat, making a considerably confused expression before nodding at the woman's words. "Yes...it does not seem to agree with you, does it?" He remarked, before snapping a finger to call one of his servants to the table. "A cup of tea for the Lady, please." He ordered.

While the servant collected the glass of wine to be replaced with a cup of tea, the Lord set his eyes upon the Lady, raising a hand to pause her before continuing. "Before you continue. You mentioned a rot at a woodrace. I recall not long after my mother passed there was a woodrace I was loathe to attend, however there were rumors of a rot that seems to match the one you have now. As I am sure you know there are several precautions to stop such a rot from forming during the races. What you may not know is there was an extensive investigation behind that rot that found it was indeed an outside source to tamper with the soil. However, there was not enough evidence to convict anyone of the wrongdoing." He couldn't help but smile following his words.

"Your lands border House Dantes if I am correct? Their House was the one to win the races that year. A curious thought, is it not?" He said with a rather curious smile upon his face.

Bottom-BG.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom