Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

By The Grace Of The Gods

Mysa had never felt quite so content. She could feel the weight of a cloak bearing down on her, Felix lay across her feet, as she lay in place. Though something didn't quite feel right. Wrong choice of words, something didn't quite feel normal, as it usually did when she woke.

Mysa Vi'dreya!

The voice which suddenly interrupted her dreamlike state pierced through her mind and had her sit bolt upright. Or attempt to. Instead she huffed a breathless sound as she found herself trapped beneath an arm, the air forced from her lungs. After all, her involuntary movement had been rather harsh.

Get yourself home, young lady. Now.

Mother's voice.

Home.

Oh kriff!

Her eyes opened to stare at a ceiling that was not her own. The arm around her was comforting, and she nestled in closer to Gideon to try and salvage some of the warmth which had been lost. They had fallen asleep ontop of the blankets, after all.

She did not want to go...

Oh, but Mother sounded so very mad...

Gideon Crowseye

G
He awoke with a slight start as his brain tried to put everything going on together through the fuzz. Looking over he saw her with a look of, well complete shock, and then without saying a word she snuggled into him. The early morning air was cold even in the house as he'd set up no fire in his room before sleeping, and without comment pulled a heavy fur blanket on top of them. She should probably have left last night, but it was too late for that now so there no use correcting it, right?

Pulling her in tight against him he held her there pausing for only a moment to lean in and kiss her before closing his eyes again. In his family he was a full adult in their eyes, but to a certain off worlder mother someone Mysa's age might still be a child. It wasn't a perspective he could began to even imagine much less believe it was real. Mysa had made a decision as a woman and who was to stop her. They hadn't done anything but kiss. Mind you his fingers ached to touch, but better they not rush and find what they really wanted in this.

[member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

He woke, but did not release her from his warm embrace. That was fine with her, for now at least, and she nestled down further against him beneath the provided furs. Far warmer than any desert world, more comfortable than any amount of padding. She closed her eyes, wanting nothing more than to fall back to sleep.

I said now!

She jolted again, this time with a groan. Some alarm her Mother seemed to be, more annoying than the usual beeps which roused her. With a pout she lifted her head from his chest and tenderly kissed his cheek before sighing.

"I have to go..." she whispered, though her tone was enough to indicate that leaving was the last thing she wanted to do. She hadn't planned to stay out though, hadn't informed her parents that she would not be home, so they had been expecting her.

And well, her mother was ridiculously pregnant. That made Mysa feel bad. Worrying in her condition was not right... Not fair.

[member="Gideon Crowseye"]

Gideon Crowseye

G
He was barely awake but he nodded in reply turning to sleepily kiss her again before finally forcing his mind to break through the fuzz. "Aye, supplies and such for the hunting trip I understand. Gives me time to get those skins working anyway, we'll set off when you come back." Looking down he saw the empty bowl as his stomach growled it's reminder. Turning to the cat he shook his head, "Listen fur ball, you won't get away with that next time. This time I had far more important things that needed my attention, next time I may not." Sticking his tongue out at the cat there was no doubt he only half cared about the entire issue.

Of course his arms still hadn't moved from around her, and after giving one last long kiss he released her. "They are going to be upset if you leave without eating, just a warning."

Colour rose in her cheeks, and she looked away. This household was so open, and while the boys lived under the watch of their parents they were treated as adults in their own right. For the most part Mysa was too, however pulling a stunt like the one she had last night and not coming home - not even informing her Mother that she wouldn't be home - was not to be tolerated.

"I... My Mother's mad... She expected me home, no doubt she was up all night worrying..."

She winced just a touch, before sighing. Gods she hoped Kära would allow her to spend the day out hunting. Last time she'd disappointed her Mother she'd been confined to her room... Not that Mysa hadn't snuck out of course.

"Don't suppose there's another exit, is there?" What would his parents think if she wandered out of his bedroom? More colour to her cheeks. "You should have something to eat. I'll try not to be too long, though Gods know what Mother is going to say..."

Gideon Crowseye

G
A look of slight confusion hit him until he began to understand, her mother still thought of her as part child. Shaking his head though he laughed, "No there is no other way out, just be more exits to watch. Come I'll walk you out." Finally getting out of bed he stretched before helping her up and hugging her close for another minute, letting her go he sighed. "Suppose I should be wise enough to let you go quickly so you can be back all the sooner."

Walking her out into the central room there was no real comment other then a few smiles and a good morning or two. Most of the men were already at work at whatever their trade was, and Colborn was busy working on the house with Gideon's youngest brother. "Its the nice thing about being a hunter, I keep my own hours and time, no shop to keep." Grabbing a still warm, and rather butter biscuit from the table he handed it to her as he kissed her one more time goodbye. "Enjoy, mother makes the best butter I know. I'll see you soon?"

Walk her out?

Into the main room?

With his family there?

Mysa's body set itself to autopilot during the next few moments as he took her from the room and out infront of his family. Felix was close to heel, though even his present company was not enough to snap her from her thoughts. How must she have looked. What must they have thought... Did they see her as rude, for not having said anything when they'd left the revelry the night before?

But all that met her were warm good mornings and soft smiles. Which she returned. When he kissed her though, so boldly infront of their view, she turned a nice shade of red. Her cheeks burned... But that didn't stop her from returning the gesture with a tender smile. It felt so right.

"As soon as I am able" she whispered, before saying her goodbyes to his family and thanking them for their hospitality. Tugging the black fur cloak around herself she stepped out into the cold and began her short venture uphill through the City to her home.

Along the way she nibbled on the biscuit, though she felt sick to her stomach with worry.

Oh please don't stop me from attending the hunt...

Gideon Crowseye

G
Gideon went about the day as normal a good strong breakfast before he moved to his last hunt's bounty. He was surprised to find most of the work already done as he got there, his father already having skinned most and set up the meat for smoking. "Good hunt, my son, a few soft pieces in here that will be good for the babes your brothers seem to produce daily." The tinkle in his eye said he wanted to add more, but thought it best unsaid at the moment.

For most of the morning hours the pair said little as they cut and moved meat, skins and furs some to dry out as hide for the house, some for furs, and some to tan. Gideon's eldest brother had started his own tannery and was quite successful given all the material he'd had to work with. Gideon just supplied the goods, but he had more then all he needed from it. Besides until now he'd never even really considered what he'd need more. Now though his mind did wander just a bit on what could be, but he kept the thoughts at bay shouting at himself inside his mind. 'Its been one day, stop trying to get ahead of yourself man!'

She slipped into the Great Hall, as inconspicuously as she could muster, hoping and praying to the Gods that her arrival back home would go unnoticed. Of course that was a fools thought, for her home was inhabited by a mentalist. No such luck, kiddo!

"And where have you been?"

Not even two seconds, a personal record. And the winner is Kära Vi'dreya... And the crowd goes wild!!

The look on her Mother's face cut the rising laughter before it could surface. Instead she meekly peered down at her feet and huffed a small sigh.

"Mother, I'm sorry... I know I should have sent word, only... It wasn't my intention to stay out..."

Her head was lifted just a touch to find her Mother staring into her eyes intently, her fingers brushing against her daughter's chin. Reminding her of the way Gideon had...

Mysa's cheeks flushed, and Kära's eyes narrowed.

"What is his name?"

The young girl choked, eyes widening... But her Mother's gaze held no sway. She knew. Of course she knew. What kind of parent would she be if she didn't. What kind of mentalist?

"G-Gideon..." she whispered, "But it's not what you think, honest!"

"Mmhm.. Of course not." The older Umbaran turned her daughter's head to the side just a touch, as though searching for some unseen mark. "Never is, is it? A boy, at your age..."

It was enough to make the poor woman turn grey!

Gideon Crowseye

G
Gideon's day was not near as eventful as poor Mysa's was on her return home, in fact it was so normal he barely knew what to do with himself. Once the carcasses were taken care of he went about preparing for their hunt. A half dozen warm furs, some extra skins and his usual tools and enough killing instruments for a rather bountiful hunt. Of course it hadn't really occurred to him when he'd said he'd take her hunting where things would go that night, it was wonderful but he was nervous.

He was about to spend not a single night but a week out on the trail with her, and quite happily snuggled inside their furs. He'd normally range a bit more, but he'd stick to the few small cabins they'd made over the years for the longer hunts. Gideon had a few that were just his own, small but they worked for his needs. As he wrapped up his business he looked up a bit anxiously at the castle in hopes she'd be back soon.

Kära sighed. What was she going to do with her child? Her first born... She is nearing adulthood now. A strong girl, with a Valkyri's spirit. On the right track toward being Knighted. She has been across the Galaxy by herself, spent months away from home. Why do I feel so protective all of a sudden?

She knew the reason why of course. Hormones. The babe in her belly. And the fact that a boy is involved. Her beautiful daughter was the apple of her eye, and she knew that [member='Thyrian Hearthfire'] would have a thing or two to say about the whole thing. Stern words to be had for this Gideon... I was doing far worse at her age. Participating in war... No, one unannounced sleepover - her first, no less - is nothing compared to that.

"Just... Watch yourself out there, Snowflake. I will speak to your Father, so he isn't kept in the dark" Mysa's face turned paler than it already was to that thought, "Oh now... You know there are no secrets held between your Father and I. Nor should there be any between you and I."

Mysa wrapped her arms around her mother then, realizing that she wasn't in any real trouble. "Just tell me when you're coming and going, please... So I don't have a repeat of last night. I barely caught a wink of sleep."

"Of course, Mother... I'm sorry for worrying you. S-Speaking of... Coming and going..."

After a little while of explaining, and a solid talk from her Mother which had her realizing that the hunt would likely last more than just one day by Valkyri tradition and standard ... a fact Mysa had not realized, the young Umbaran found herself within her room packing.

She had no idea how long to pack for though!

Gideon Crowseye

G
Finally after a bit of wait he got the team, and sled ready for their trip. He wasn't sure she knew how to drive a team so he'd chose the larger sled with a seat, it be slower going but they could bring more back as well. That and she'd most likely enjoy it more, or at least be more comfortable. Now that everything was taken care of he was a bit of loss as to to what to do. That was until he felt a rough hand on his shoulder, "You'd think a worried mother would feel better if she knew who her daughter was going on this long hunt with. Of course that's just the ramblings of an old crow, but you might like to think it over."

So it was with a deep sigh, trepidation and a massive lump in his throat he couldn't seem to get rid of Gideon found himself approaching the great hall. What did he do knock on the door? Hey I'd like to see your princess, at least he knew she wasn't in another castle. Of course there were servants coming and going so walking through an open door was fairly easy. Now where did one find a princess? Turning to though he saw an incredibly pregnant woman who could only be Mysa's mother and for the first time he felt a bit like a field mouse caught in the eyes of a hawk. "Beg your pardon, but I thought I should say hello. My name is Gideon Crowseye, but I'd like to apologize for Mysa not returning last night. I was out on a hunt till quite late and completely passed out on the poor girl. I'm very sorry about her not arriving back in a timely manner last night."

I'm sorry, your Princess is in another Castle...

Thankfully that was not the case at all!

Mysa reached for her bow, the final thing she hadn't packed, and checked the tension. Nerves were creeping in now... Sure she had hunted before, who on Midvinter hadn't? She'd fought giant ice worms, and the undead who haunted Midvinter. So why did this worry her so?

Because you're going to be with someone... A boy... Who you like... For Force knows how long...

Part of her wished Darien was around to join them. He had been her best friend since youth and usually knew what to tell her. But Darien had problems of his own to contend with. She may have rescued him from the threat of assassination but that didn't mean he was in the clear.

And besides, Gideon would not appreciate the presence of someone else if she guessed.

So it was that she stepped from her room, a pack over one shoulder, quiver over the other, beneath which the black furs lay. Under one arm were the furs her Grandpa had gifted her, as the Gods knew how cold it would be, and in her hand the bow. I look like a pack horse...

Who cares? It didn't matt----

Down the hall, just a few feet away, Gideon stood talking to her Mother.

Her Mother.

Her eyes were wide, skin became clammy with worry, as she tried to disappear back inside her room.

"Come here, Snowflake." Mentalist. Duh... Slowly she made her way over to the pair, sheepishly chewing on the inside of her lip. "Now, this young man was just informing me of your evening... And the evenings to come."

Mysa gulped, before her Mother simply smiled and gave her a pat on the hand. "Be safe, and watch out for one another. A great many things lurk in those woods, not that either of you need reminding of that fact. It's a shame your Father isn't around..." The teasing look on her Mother's expression eased the rising worry.

"Now, young man..." Kära turned to look upon Gideon, "You remain honorable with my daughter, and you and I will have no issues."

Gideon Crowseye

G
Now that wasn't fair, it was one thing to have to met a woman's family it was a whole other thing when he ruled over the entire planet you lived on. Still he couldn't argue with it, she was being more then fair about the situation. Yet as her mother finished his eyes immediately moved to Mysa's face and a bright smile lit his own. Some things were worth a king's wrath, or annoyance, or even just I guess having to deal with a king. His brain stopped for a moment on that thought as he nodded towards her mother, "Of course, and thank you we'll bring you back a lovely pelt."

Taking Mysa's hand in his he walked away with her his heart a burst in excitement and a feeling of 'by all the gods I can't get out of this door soon enough'. Outside he took a deep breath and pointed over to the sleigh. "I got the biggest one I had out for you, we'll be able to sit and everything. We won't be able to take the deep trails, but I didn't know if you knew how to ride a smaller sled. I didn't want to take an assumptions with this being our first time out, and besides I liked the idea of knowing I could keep you warm." He blushed a bit at the last statement as he loaded her packs onto the back of the sled.

Before getting underway he made sure they were well packed in together with furs, but loose enough they could get their bows out if they needed it. Smiling down as her as the team picked up pace he kissed her once as the great hall vanished from view. "Thank you for coming, and I'm sorry if I got you in any trouble! Da thought it might help if I came up and introduced myself at least before we go out on the hunt. I'm not sure it helped any, but your mother seems nice. I'm sorry I'm going on and on, thank you, I'm just excited you're coming."

It did not take long for the pair to be out the door and into the sharp darkening night of Midvinter. She had kissed her Mother farewell and promised to contact her if anything went wrong. After all, her Mother was capable of contacting her whenever and wherever. It was both a blessing and a boon!

Her hand felt just right within his as he led her down the steps away from the Great Hall, toward the sled and the team of... Well, they looked like a cousin to the Vhaanir though their antlers were far superior. No offense, Belawir... Just the mere sight of them brought tears to her eyes, and she used her free hand to wipe them away.

She hadn't seen one since the battle, the Vhaanir that was. Even the thought of them brought back the sting of pain and guilt and...

Gideon was talking to her, about the sled, and the fact they could be warm and comfortable. She gave a very slight smile, glad for the change of mental subject, and helped to put her things onto the back of the sled. With her extra furs in tow she sat upon the seat and nestled in under the numerous layers they had accumulated between them.

"Thank you... For inviting me, for speaking to Mother, for..."

Her words were cut off as his lips lowered to hers. The young girl could not help but blush, not as though it would be obvious since her cheeks were already bright pink thanks to the evening's chill.

Gideon Crowseye

G
He smiled at her as he ended their kiss a bright light to his eyes as he enjoyed the fierce feeling of the day. As they left the villages behind and the hours started to peal away as his eyes remained mostly on the trail ahead. His arm though never moved from around Mysa, as the team needed little steering while they were on the main trail. She felt so small and fragile in his arm, he knew she was made of sterner stuff, but she just made him feel so protective.

As the sun started to dip in the sky he pulled the team up near a small shack built a bit into the trail. It belonged to three different families, but it was usually only in use by one. It was obviously empty though as shadows filled the inside, and the door stood barred. Removing the large piece of wood that held the door against anything that would pull it open out of curiosity, or even just fierce winds. He took just a moment to start a fire for Mysa before returning to the team to settle them down for the night. The shack had no real stable, but there was a large portion of the room blocked off. Just enough space for the entire team to get inside and stay safe and warm. It wasn't the most pleasant but it was a damn sight better for both the the team and the hunters.

Closing them in Gideon returned to the hunters portion of the cabin before finally stopping. Looking to Mysa he laughed feeling rather silly, "Sorry, its all a matter of habit, I should have made sure you were OK first. I do however have food and beverage for us, but a bit of cooking is in order for that."

The journey was quiet in many regards, with little to no conversation spoken between them and just the whistling wind and tread of the great-antlered kind gracing their ears. And yet it was not uncomfortable. The silence was warm, inviting, comfortable. As though nothing needed to be said at all. Her head had lowered to his shoulder somewhere during the journey, and she enjoyed all the sights presented to her from the safety of the sled.

It had been barely past dawn when they left home, and now the sun was ready to dip beneath the mountains. The stamina held by the sled pullers was remarkable, truly it was, though no doubt they were bred for this very task. Were it up to her, they'd be getting a treat with their evening feed... But she didn't wish to presume. They were not her creatures.

As they rounded a particularly dense grouping of trees a small clearing made itself known, and all at once she was hit with the remarkable sight of a cabin. She found it quite odd for it to be out here, with nothing else close by, but then again with the way that Midvinter worked she supposed it made sense. The hardy people of this land were natural born hunters. And their quarry did not often wander close to the City.

Naturally when she left the sled, and walked for a few moments around the clearing to put circulation back into her stiff legs, she helped with unloading the sled while Gideon got the fire going. Even without it the interior of the cabin was remarkably warmer than the cool night which was setting in outside.

When she placed down one particular pack, however, one of her own, a quiet growling caught her attention. Warily she tipped the pack on its side, and out tumbled a ball of white fur.

"Felix!" she cried, not knowing whether to laugh or cry as her heart hammered painfully inside her chest. "For the love of Éar, what are you doing in there?"

Her little cubling shook himself for a moment as he found his feet, a hunk of dried meat she had packed in case of emergencies locked between his jaws. Little menace! Though deep down she was sort of grateful. While none would purposely harm her Frir there were many who would act on instinct upon seeing so ferocious a beast around the City.

At least by her side he run no risk of being killed by a native.

Gideon was back within the room by now, and she sheepishly smiled an apology. Hopefully he wouldn't mind that their journey had been hijacked by the thing that had brought them together in the first place.

"It's fine. The basics need tending to first."

She looked around the cabin curiously, finally taking in any sort of furniture or decor to be found if there happened to be any. Rising up from where she had crouched to inspect the Frir-filled pack, Mysa stepped closer to her companion.

"What can I do to help?"

Gideon Crowseye

G
For some reason it felt like he'd spent an eternity setting up the team to rest for the night, but he was much quite pleased to find himself with her once more. He was a bit more surprised to find they had a stowaway, but it was just as well he supposed. As for the offer of help he gave her a silly weighing look before laughing, "Of course, we need a bit of cooking done if you're up to it? I left some traps around last time I was here, give me just a few and I'll see about getting us some fresher meat."

Before leaving he used a pail to drop a large amount of snow into the pot to start the water up for her, no reason she had to go back out since he was already headed that way. The traps were laid out sparsely around the cabin's far perimeter, meat decay was near zero in the frozen forests, it was more likely to be buried in snow, or simply eaten by an opportunistic predator. Of course buried in snow made the decay even slower, so it wasn't really a bad thing if you knew where your traps were.

The first two though were empty, both of bait and prey. It always amused Gideon when he found them like this, as he silently gave a couple points to other side in his endless game of cat and mouse. Somewhere he imagined there was a clever beast, just stalking his traps as he baited them. Either way he left enough bait on each as he passed on, never leave an empty trap, its just work you had to do tomorrow. The next two were much less disappointing though as he bagged a pair of large rabbits, seemed fresh stew was in order. Checking each of the dozen traps around the cabin he returned with five various prey along with the rabbits, quite pleased at his luck. The Gods were good.

Walking into the cabin he went right to work cleaning the animals so as to get to the eating part all the faster. "Good sign for our hunt to come, usually we don't get so many this soon after setting them." Absently throwing a chunk to their stowaway he gave it a smile and returned his eyes to her. "There are a few dried herbs and vegetables in the pouch by the fire if you'd like?"

She raised a brow at the way he inspected her, weighing her up to see what he thought she was worthy of doing. Hmph! What did he take her for? Still she could not help but laugh at the expression which had formed on his face.

A humour that almost entirely fled when his suggestion came to mind.

Cook? Oh heavens, that was something she was not well versed in at all! She had watched the cooks, of course, tried to gauge what they were doing, but outside of journeys there was always food around her whenever she needed it. Which was no doubt very spoiled of her to admit. And even when traveling she took the easy route... Dried meats, breaded meals...

Keep calm, Mysa. You can do this... Somehow.

"I... I can't promise anything great" she admitted, watching as he returned with snow for the pot. Soon after he left her, and the water began to bubble and boil.

She stepped over to the pot, looking around for any other ingredients aside from meat. She found some frozen vegetables by the door, which she proceeded to pull inside before the cold seeped in. Okay... Vegetables. Check. And Gideon was working on the meat. But there was more to it than that, she realized...

So it was that by the time Gideon returned, Mysa had just about finished peeling and cutting a few of the vegetables. The mention of dried herbs gave her a Eureka! moment. That's what was missing. And maybe some salt too... Seasoning. That's what the cooks had called it.

Into the boiling water went the ground veggies, alongside a few experimental pinches of the offered herbs. Who knew how this would end up tasting.

The meat she did not want to spoil. Sure she had cooked meat on hunts of her own before, but she had no special tastes where such was concerned.

"I don't want to ruin your game by simply.. boiling all of the flavour out of it."

Gideon Crowseye

G
He laughed at her jest as he cleaned the second rabbit and began to cut the choicer bits for the pot. "Aye, a good stew in the works, let it simmer for an hour and it'll be perfect. Well done, little flower." He hadn't really meant to say that, but it was true she reminded him of one of those delicate buds you'd find occasionally on the trail. Always a bit tougher then they look, but you had to be in such a place.

Smiling rather sheepishly half in apology half in a more sorry, not sorry, but I don't want to be in trouble way he put his attention back into the rest of his catch. "I started hunting from here first, well I stowed away like our little friend here and my father had no choice but to put me to hard use to teach me a lesson. The lesson took, but not in the way he planned on. I didn't attend school much longer after that, my place was here in the wilds."

Nodding towards the back wall he started cleaning the rest as his eyes remained locked on his work. "There is an ice house out back, the one thing we've always got a plenty of, no? We'll keep our catches their till we return, they'll be fine till then."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom