Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Burnt Bridges

C A V A L I E R
CATO NEIMODIA
Zhea Nox Zhea Nox

N5cG5gd.png
His quest of righteousness led him to the purse world of Cato Neimodia. Riches beyond anyone’s dreams with the slimy, greedy Neimodians carving out this planet with luxurious citizens and their influenced bridges out across the stars. A worthy system to annex within the Empire’s fold, but they were too spread out to tackle an operation such as this. Not to mention there was much to restructure within the Empire as toxic ambitions reeked to compromise the system.

If the Empire could not inherit Cato Neimodia from the destabilized Silver Jedi, then no one can. It would be more promising to raze it down rather than the Alliance to absorb it and use its massive wealth for their own machinations.

Scorched Earth.
This operation would need to be swift and precise, razing Cato Neimodia’s infrastructure and seizing their wealth. Take as much as they can before destroying what remained. They were only a few parsecs away from the Galactic Alliance and any small plead for help was enough to rally a task force to give aid, and later include it within their Senate.

It was already an hour since Simon’s forces entered the system and established a foothold within one of its cities. Resistance was to be expected from stubborn Barons, though some greedy, spineless aristocrats complied with fear for their lives and offered anything to distance themselves from their deaths. Any sign of resistance was swept away, no matter it’s degree.

At another neighboring city was Simon, leading his troops on the bridged city of Kerk’la. He was not shy of exhausting any tactic to gain an inch of ground, the lives of his men and the stakes of this operation was worth more than any morals he held on to. His argent saber cut down on a retreating Neimodian soldier, an example to others of his relentless he was to achieve victory and to weaken their morale.

<“Spare any Barons alive if you’re able; seize and destroy any factories or any points of interests of production.”> his message relayed to his lieutenants.

And then there was an aura he felt…but he paid no attention as he pressed on in battle.

burntbridges.png

ECLIPSE
SURFACE | CATO NEIMODIA
TAG: Simon Meinrad Simon Meinrad

zheadiv.png

banner.png

WALK THROUGH THE FIRE

The call had come suddenly.

Most of the Order were off-world and scattered throughout Alliance space on various of relief missions. So there weren't many Jedi that could respond. The distress call from Cato Neimodia was clear on one thing - Imperials. And something about that information had Zhea's stomach clenching.

She had made sure that she had stepped up in offering to go before someone else could. Now, she, her Padawan and a Company from the Defense Force stood in the wake of destruction in the bridge-town where the call had come from. The rest of their forces were scattered across the planet to try and quell the wave of Imperials sweeping down everything in their path.

As they looked at the destruction, she felt it.

Felt him. Her eyes briefly closed in disappointment, steeling herself.
"Master?" Evan Haywood's questioning voice drifted through to her. She drew in a breath and looked at her Padawan.
"I think it's best if you return to the ship, Evan. These aren't just any Imperials." she told him.
"No, Master, please don't do this. Don't send me away." he pleaded. "I can help."
The Commander looked at her then. "He really could, you know."
Zhea sighed. "Very well, but if I or the Commander tell you to run, you run. Is that clear?" she told Evan.
The Padawan's jaw clenched, but then he nodded. "Yes, Master."

Another deep breath. Then Zhea started tracking like only a Kiffar could. Evan kept on her tail, doing his best not to get in his Master's way. The soldiers, however, struggled to keep up. Every few steps, they had to move around Neimodian soldiers' bodies, lightsaber cuts clear as day on some of them. Zhea's heart ached with the knowledge at whose blade it was, her hope shattering a little with every body they passed that carried the telltale sign.

Eventually a split came on the spoor she was on.
"Most of the force split off this way." she said, motioning to the fork left of them. "Send most of your men that way, Commander. Take Padawan Haywood as well. I just need a squad with me."
"Yes, Master Nox." said the Commander before singling out a squad to stay with her.
While he did that, the Sage put her hands on Evan's shoulders. "You listen to the Commander's orders. And keep your senses open. Use everything I taught you and you'll be fine. Do your best to help keep our men alive." she told him in a low, quick voice.
"Yes, Master. I will." he said, suddenly almost scared. She was far too serious at this moment for him to just ignore what she was saying. But he then ran toward the front of their main force and waited for the Commander.
Before the great soldier could lead out his men and women, Zhea grabbed his arm.
"Look after him." she said earnestly, staring at him.
He gave her an earnest nod, conveying much more than his word ever could. Then they were off.

Hopefully, by sending her Padawan away from her side, he'd be out of the way of being harmed by the man she still had sliver of hope for - if Evan didn't do something stupid like wandering off from the Commander on a heroic act.

She was sick to her stomach, but she had to try to reason with Simon. One last time. She owed him that for what they once had.

So she and her squad picked up pace, knowing her quarry wasn't too far ahead.

C A V A L I E R
CATO NEIMODIA
Zhea Nox Zhea Nox

N5cG5gd.png
Of course, she’d feel his presence and was drawn to him. Simon was hoping to avoid another encounter with her after they last saw each other on Ilum. It ended with the harsh reality of him drawing his lightsaber on a dear old friend, after both coming to an impasse with disagreements and how they stood. He always admired her optimism, having high hopes in a flawed and corrupt system that was the Galactic Alliance. A system that would sooner or later betray her as it did when the Jedi were depicted as war criminals in their crusade against the fallen Sith Empire.

But then there was something else he noticed. Another presence in the Force, though untrained in its mystics separating from Zhea’s proximity. He did wonder if this was a student of hers.

Always attaching herself to the young ones and assuring their success. Putting the new generation before her needs and wants. A trait he blamed on as it always held her back…most importantly held her back from Simon when he mentioned the idea of leaving the Order together.

A snarl went across his face and veered to intercept this Padawan of Zhea’s while destroying anything in his path. Once and for all he’d free Zhea of this burden and realize her true potential.

burntbridges.png

ECLIPSE
SURFACE | CATO NEIMODIA

zheadiv.png

banner.png

WALK THROUGH THE FIRE

There was a sudden veer in energy.

Zhea stopped dead, causing some of her squad to run right into her. Closing her eyes, she stretched her senses, instead of going according to the echoes. She felt her Padawan's presence in the Force, then she felt for Simon and nearly choked.

"Come on!" she barked at her squad and bolted in a straight diagonal toward where Evan and the other men would be. Some Neimodians where hiding in alleyways, but Zhea hardly paid them a glance.

Finally skidding into the area where she had last felt her Padawan, there was no one alive in sight. All that remained, were a few bodies and what looked like a cylindrical object on the ground. Collapsing to her knees, Zhea picked up the hilt that belonged to Evan.

Concentrating deeply, she allowed her tracking senses to take over completely. The Sage could see flashes of white armour and the emerald of the very saber she held in her hand, deflecting bolts back at the troopers. Then an argent blade flashed and then the hilt's memories went dead. Breathing heavily, she opened her eyes. There was no way that Evan would have been able to defend against Simon. Her Padawan was good, but he did not have the skill to stand against an Imperial Knight of that proportions.

Clutching the hilt to her chest, she got to her feet and looked around. The fact that Evan's body wasn't here held some hope - he was still alive. Her brilliant blue eyes found the Jedi Temple at the edge of the of the city, against the cliff face. All her instincts told her that that was where she would find both Evan and the person she was here for.

She had just taken a step forward, when a strained noise could be heard to her left. Her head swiveled and she caught sight of the Commander against the wall of a building, his hand clutching his side. The usually calm Jedi Master was beside herself with worry as she dropped down next to him.
"Commander, what happened?"
"Ambush. Took...Evan...a few men...hostage. Temple." he stammered.
"Medic!" she called to the squad medic that was with her. "Do what you can - evac if you ccan. Cori, stay and protect them. The rest of you with me." she ordered, laying a hand on the Commander's shoulder. "Hang in there, my friend."

Then they were on their way again.

She didn't bother to track now. They knew where they were supposed to go. And sure enough, as they got closer, they could see Stormtroopers keeping guard.
"Stay here and out of sight for now. You'll know when it's time to come closer." she told them.
"Yes, ma'am." came the unison reply.

As Zhea walked calmly up the steps, she unclipped her own saber. There was no time for diplomacy this time - not with the Troopers.
"Allow me to pass." she told them. "It's me he wants." She knew that's why Evan was not dead. Or wasn't dead at his lightsaber.
"You think we'll allow you to do that with weapons?" a female voice asked from behind her helmet.
"I don't care what you will and won't allow. You'll let me pass or you won't be going home." she warned them. Her Padawan was in there as well someone she had considered a friend once upon a time. Someone she couldn't bring herself to kill on Ilum. All her tranquility was gone.

In answer, the Troopers converged on her. The cerulean and emerald blades ignited at just the right time to deflect bolts back to their owners, her old Kiffar and Echani training fueling her as well as the Force. Soon, bodies lay scattered around her.
"I am sorry." she told the dead before walking into the temple.

"Simon! I know it's you!" she called out loud into the emptiness, but her heart was in her throat.

C A V A L I E R
CATO NEIMODIA
Zhea Nox Zhea Nox

N5cG5gd.png
Her Padawan was too arrogant to believe he could outmatch Simon’s prowess when the senior Imperial Knight obliterated Evan’s forces and smoothly defeated him in combat. Defeated, but not dead as the older man spared the boy’s life and those wounded from the small skirmish between the colliding Imperial and Alliance soldiers. From here he retreated to an old Jedi Temple as one could see how aged the temple was with its architecture and the stone which built it. Old as the Republic years ago before it collapsed and returned as the Alliance. Certainly much older than the New Imperials.

Here he bloodied Evan, punching and kicking the helpless boy as Simon hoped it would break him down and stray whatever path Zhea put him on. Make him volatile to aggression, the polar opposite to Zhea’s calm nature. What was he hoping from this? He hoped this radical approach would somehow have Zhea go to his side and became one as they once were years ago before leaving the Order.

Like bees to honey, the very person he hoped for came. Drawn to his and Evan’s aura, and calling him out as she entered the temple. Her voice echoed from the walls and floor, a reflection of its vacancy as no one had occupied the temple for some time.

“Do not try to persuade me with words, Zhea. You know I am far gone from that,” he replied back to her words. “I fail to see your…obsession with this boy. Then again, you always chose the younglings before yourself…even me when I always placed you before anyone else.”

burntbridges.png

ECLIPSE
SURFACE | CATO NEIMODIA

zheadiv.png

banner.png

WALK THROUGH THE FIRE

There was silence for a heartbeat.

Just as heartache started to well up within her, his voice hit her harder than any fight ever would.
“Do not try to persuade me with words, Zhea. You know I am far gone from that. I fail to see your…obsession with this boy. Then again, you always chose the younglings before yourself…even me when I always placed you before anyone else.”
It echoed all around her, mocking her.

She sank to her knees. He had always been her true weakness, not the younglings. She had wanted to go with him all those years ago. She should have. Perhaps he would have turned out differently. There was a shadow within her that hoped that she could still turn him around.
"Please can we talk face to face?" she echoed back at him brokenly.

She remained on her knees for a while, trying to compose herself. She knew what Evan must have been thinking, hearing this back and forth. If she could get him out, she'd gladly stay behind. That thought strengthened her resolve somewhat and she got to her feet and followed the tether between her and her Padawan.

Eventually, she stood in the entryway to the large room that housed her quarries.

Her hands were empty, however, her hilt back on her belt. Her eyes immediately found Simon as he stood over Evan, who was curled into a ball of pain. Ignoring the Troopers in the room, she kept her eyes on him, pleading.
"I'm here now. Years too late, but I'm here." she told him, refraining from looking at her Padawan. "But I won't hear you while your men listen in." she added.

His action based on those words would tell her what her own actions should be. She wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt if he remained shielded behind the white wall while he also held her Padawan.

If the man she knew was still in there, he wouldn't be that cowardly.

C A V A L I E R
CATO NEIMODIA
Zhea Nox Zhea Nox

N5cG5gd.png
Many factors culminated to where they stood now. His annoyance with the Jedi and the Alliance; the irritation of holding back on his visions; but most of all when Zhea’s selfless nature didn’t align with Simon’s wants. He’d give and do anything for her, putting her on a pedestal out of the others…though those were moments in the past. Simon was never the best example of what a Jedi should be, but Zhea always was. Always putting his desires above all else, and Zhea putting duty before herself.

He always fantasized a life with her and doing the things he wanted. Bringing a better Galaxy to cease all wars to come.

At the door she stood with sadness in her eyes, looking at him and her Padawan with no attention to the surrounding Stormtroopers. Defenseless with hope to speak to Simon in private. What was there to discuss? An attempt to bring him back to the Jedi? To call off his crusade here on Cato Neimodia? Or something else entirely different than what he expected.

If this was anyone else, he’d have them executed; but for her…

“Very well…I trust your word,” with a sigh of relief to his nerves from all the combat. He nodded to his second-in-command, trusting the trooper and his men to guard their prisoner. The Knight stepped out of rank and walked towards the lone Jedi.

“M-master Nox…don’t!” a weakened Evan called out to Zhea, before being silenced from a Stormtrooper who threatened to stun Evan should he disobey the order.

“Lead us,” as Simon looked into her eyes, close to her person without lightsaber in hand.

burntbridges.png

ECLIPSE
SURFACE | CATO NEIMODIA

zheadiv.png

banner.png

WALK THROUGH THE FIRE

“Very well…I trust your word,”

That was more progress than she had made on Ilum.

Even if Evan's call cut through her like a blade. She couldn't falter now. Not with Simon walking towards her. So she refrained from looking at her Padawan and kept her eyes on the Imperial Knight.

And then he was standing in front of her.

Almost intimately close. This was the closest they had been since he left the Order without a drawn weapon. In that moment, her eyes met his and she missed the man he once was.
“Lead us,”
She took a step back to take a breath before turning her back on him, trusting him to honour his word as she led the way down the hallway into a side-room further down.

There, Zhea turned to face him.
"Explain your reasoning for today to me." she requested gently. "How does it tie in to your original plan of no war? The plan we both had?" She desperately wanted him to still be as reasonable as he once was. To still be patient when he explained his plans to her. When they dreamed together. This was the only way to get her Padawan out alive.

She had often regretted not taking him up on his offer. For a long time. There was a part of her that still did. But seeing what she saw today had her wondering if he had made the right choice. She had felt the same about the Order back then. But she couldn't help but think that if she had gone with him, not stuck to her duty, that he never would have fallen in with the Empire. She'd always been able to calm him.

The Sage could only hope to be able to do it again.

C A V A L I E R
CATO NEIMODIA
Zhea Nox Zhea Nox

N5cG5gd.png
"I'll join you, Simon. But I ask one favour of you. If you still have a sliver of affection for me, please let my Padawan go. He has no part in this. His stubbornness put him in the wrong place at the wrong time. Let him go. He'll be cast from my side."

He expected for the worst, but his expectations were surprised by her reply.

I'll join you

It was hard to control the emotions of his face as his eyebrows raised up at her words. The hairs on his arms raised up and his own heart paced slowly before rapidly pulsing. Was this a trick? An illusion cast on him? It was too good to be true, and to his own fortune it was very true. It immediately grew the dimming flame he had for Zhea and it grew exponentially, enough to consume a whole forest. Time seemed to pass by almost as if he was in another reality. His mission here was just a small thought in the back of his mind as he mentally focused what truly mattered now in the moment. Almost as if the man he was years ago when he abandoned Zhea resurfaced.

"I..."

Trailing off from his words before regaining compusure.

"I...yes, of course. I will instruct my men to let him go. No harm will come to him or the others."

"And you'll come with me?"

burntbridges.png

ECLIPSE
SURFACE | CATO NEIMODIA

zheadiv.png

banner.png

WALK THROUGH THE FIRE

She watched the barely contained emotions cross his well-known face.

It was more than she had seen him give on any of their previous meetings on the battlefield. So much more. He was human again, not the cold machine that the Empire had wrought him into. It gave her the smallest sliver of hope that he could still be reached.

And then he spoke words that took her entirely by surprise.

He had become the man she had once known and loved once more. Hope flooded her completely. Hope that he could be turned away from the path of destruction he was currently on. Hope that this time, they can actually achieve what they dreamed of - without bloodshed.

Without hesitation, she took his hand and briefly cupped his cheek with the other.
"Thank you, Simon." she said. There was so much she wanted to say, but between two people that both knew one another so well but also didn't, nothing more was needed.

"And you'll come with me?"

The sounds of battle still raged, but it was barely heard in that small moment. With the assurance that her Padawan would be released and safe, there was now only her and Simon. Only their regrets and wishes and a connection that hadn't completely faded in the years.
"Yes." A simple word, but in that moment, it was free from sacrifice and duty. It was purely her choice, hope driving her to get him back on track, even if he never returns to the Order. Just as long as he didn't continue razing nations to the ground.

She stepped away and back into the hallway, feeling lighter than she had since Ilum, despite having just made the choice to willingly be in the presence of Imperials.

"I'll send my Padawan away. Can we then leave this place?"

C A V A L I E R
CATO NEIMODIA
Zhea Nox Zhea Nox

N5cG5gd.png
A sense of warmth grazed his heart when her hand cupped his cheek and escaped a sigh of relief. A familiar feeling that was long ago too foreign for him. Every day separated by her he was more cold than the previous day since he departed from her side. No one to calm his aggression which only grew with age. No one to break a smile on his scarred face.

It didn’t mean he immediately renounced the Imperial doctrine he followed, but it was a start. A start to something new.

"I'll send my Padawan away. Can we then leave this place?"

“Yes,” even if it meant he had to prematurely conclude this operation, as long he was away with Zhea. They had caused enough destruction and sacked whatever previous resources that could serve the Empire. Being alone far away from battle was more important than the mission at hand. “I’ll order my men to head back to the cruisers, so we can leave at once.”

“I fear that your Padawan might resist to you leaving with me…perhaps we could stun him and leave a distress signal for the Alliance to find him?”

burntbridges.png

ECLIPSE
SURFACE | CATO NEIMODIA

zheadiv.png

banner.png

WALK THROUGH THE FIRE

It was surreal.

To have him responding was already a big step, but to have him agreeing to things was nothing short of miraculous given all that had happened leading up to this point.

But it still needed some work.

“I fear that your Padawan might resist to you leaving with me…perhaps we could stun him and leave a distress signal for the Alliance to find him?”

She stopped from where she had started to walk back to the hall where Evan was held to look at Simon.
"He will do what I ask of him. He may not like it, but he'll do it. There will be no need for such measures." Then her face softened and a small smile graced her lips. "Not all Padawans are as rebellious as you were."

With that she headed down the hallway again only to come to a standstill outside of the hall, sky-blue eyes finding him again.
"I'll let you talk to your men first, then I'll send my Padawan away." Feeling calmer than she had all day, she gave him a reassuring smile. "There will be no subterfuge to bring an ambush down on us, you need not worry about that." she added for good measure. Trust between the two had to be established anew and her sending her Padawan away was as good a place to start as any.

Zhea just hoped that her efforts would be successful in the end.

C A V A L I E R
CATO NEIMODIA
Zhea Nox Zhea Nox

N5cG5gd.png
"He will do what I ask of him. He may not like it, but he'll do it. There will be no need for such measures." "Not all Padawans are as rebellious as you were."

A small smile came across his lips to her jest. Funny, but true at the same time. He always trusted his own intuition even if it went against the orders of his former Master or superiors during his youth. In time, he managed to smooth out the rough edges of his insolence as age demanded maturity.

“Very well, Zhea. I’ll make sure to free him from his binders and make sure he is not harmed when leaving this place.”

He made no motion to negotiate against her terms. She had all his trust and gave no reason to betray his confidence. If it meant to have her by his side, then he would honor it.

Returning back to the chambers with his soldiers and the beaten Padawan, he gave out his orders to his soldiers. None refused or hesitated against his command, even if they harbored any doubts in their heads. Then again, they knew the price of disobeying his orders, and it was more than just a simple court martial.

“Your Padawan is ready, Zhea,” he advised to Zhea as he stepped outside of the chambers. “I will wait here for you,” while the rest of the Stormtroopers moved to exit the temple and secure the perimeter for a shuttle to collect them.

burntbridges.png

ECLIPSE
SURFACE | CATO NEIMODIA

zheadiv.png

banner.png

WALK THROUGH THE FIRE

Zhea's heart clenched.

As she watched him go in to talk to his men, it was difficult accepting that they were still technically on opposite sides. She had gotten a smile out of him, however slight it was. It was difficult to think not even an hour prior, he was killing innocent Neimoidians, Not a day went by that she didn't regret not going with him. If she did, none of this would have happened.

It was heartwrenching.

She swallowed back the tears as he came back to her, his men following.
“Your Padawan is ready, Zhea,”
"Thank you, Simon." she merely said, but her eyes conveyed the gratitude that she couldn't show him in front of his men. Then she walked into the chamber where Evan was still sitting on the floor, confusion on his battered face.

"Master, what's...." he started, but Zhea held up a hand to silence as she bent down next to him.
"All I want you to do is walk out of here and meet up with Master Ashina. She's not far. Tell her I ask her to pull back all the men. I call a ceasefire. She has my word the Imperials will do the same. Just like that." she told him as she helped him to his feet.
"Yes Master. But...what of you?" he asked her.
"I remain here for now to see that the agreement is uphold." she bent the truth a little bit, knowing full well he would not leave otherwise. "You can tell Master Ashina that when the Imperials leave, they can begin relief efforts. Got that?"
"Yes Master, but I don't understand..." he started again but the look on Zhea's face had him trailing off.
"Can you do the task I give you or not Evan? Now is not the time to play hero." she asked him sternly, her heart clenching.
"Yes Master." he said.

Zhea layed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a smile.
"You've done well today. Trust in the Force and it won't let you go wrong. Now go." she told him, not wanting to stretch the window Simon had given her.
Evan gave her a slight smile and a nod before jogging out of the chamber with a limp. She watched him go, trying to keep her emotions at bay. No matter how she had played it now - her way or Simon's way, someone would be bound to know something was wrong. That she wasn't coming back. It was going to cause complications down the line that would not sit well with any party involved.

She sighed before finally walking out to catch up with Simon. Her usual tranquility in the Force was off with all this turmoil. That needed rectifying once things settled into more routine.

"It's done." she said, approaching him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom