Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Home

The warmth of the bath eased the aches and pains of a long day's training session. The warm water soothing every aching muscle and every tender spot the saber had managed a hit. The burns that peppered her skin stung fiercely in the pool, but Ara welcomed the tinge of pain. Each burn, each bruise was a reminder of a strike she'd failed to block and a mistake she would not repeat again. Her session with Talon Ren was a successful one, but not without it's difficulties.

Glancing at the wrinkled skin of her fingers, the disciple sighed and lifted herself out of the soothing water with reluctance. She dried off and dressed as quickly as possible, so as to not lose the warmth the last hour of a soak had instilled in her. Her outfit was a mix of comfort and showiness, picked to emphasize every curve and muscle she possessed. Black, skin tight pants sat low on her hips, complemented with knee high boots with a moderate chunky heel. Her stomach was bared by a black shirt, cut off at her rib cage, deep maroon designs swirled through the fabric. The sleeves clung to her arms, ending with a thumb and finger holes to create a pseudo glove.

Smiling at her reflection in the nearest reflective surface, she loosened the braid wrapped around her head, sending her mass of curling red hair cascading down her back.

Satisfied with her appearance, and that most of her new injuries were hidden by the clothing, she left the baths in search a meal. The labyrinth of halls was still new to her, but Ara knew almost instinctually how to get from the pool chambers to her room, since bathing had become a daily ritual. It was a luxury she'd grown up without and took advantage of every chance she could. She stopped by her room long enough to compliment her outfit with a long cloak, wrapping it around her shoulders and continuing on without much of a glance at the small quarters she'd been allotted.

A few wrong turns and muttered curses later, she managed to find a common area she could sit and enjoy some well-earned food and drink. Grabbing a ration and bottle of who-knows-what, Ara settled down at the nearest table to eat.

[member="Kaalia Voldaren"]

Kaalia's quarters was simple and functional. There was a bed to sleep in, a storage cabinet for the few items she owned, a cabinet for the clothes she had, and a desk accompanied with a chair and a light. At the desk she sat often, studying the little information on the Dark side she could find, and now was no exception. The redhead grew hungry however, and with a sigh of disappointment from the lack of knowledge she gained she got up. Changing into something more presentable but still simple. She wore black boots that were clearly made with functionality in mind, and dark gray robes that still showed some of her figure, but covered her body. The red hair was tied up. She took a quick glance at her reflection in the mirror. Most people would notice the scar at her left eye first, but being used to it Kaalia rarely even remembered it was there. The young woman stretched before walking out of her quarters.

The Ren found her way around the Bastion of Ren quite well, knowing where most things were fairly quickly. She made her way to the mess hall. Kaalia hadn't been here for very long yet, but already followed some routines, taking a ration she took often alongside some water. She was planning on eating in solitude, which she normally did, as previous interactions with other Knights had been... cold. They weren't the most pleasurable people to be around, and as such the flame-haired woman tended to only deal with them if necessary. Today however, Kaalia wasn't in the mood to be alone. She walked towards a table where a woman sat, clearly dressed to show off. The former Jedi cared little for looks herself, looking past it when getting to know others. A smile formed as she looked for eye contact. "Mind if I sit here?"

[member='Ara Ren']

Ara flashed a welcoming and slightly seductive smile at the woman out of habit and motioned with a hand at a nearby empty seat. "Feel free." She purred, inspecting the newcomer. Her eyes roamed from the fiery hair to the grey, simple robes she wore. Her gaze paused as she took in the scar across the woman's left eye, her mind instinctually asking how she'd earned such a trophy, but she resisted asking, for now. Her clothing choices were more modest than Ara's and the disciple couldn't help a smug smirk pull up one corner of her mouth. She covered it with a small bow and introduced herself.

"Ara. Pleased to meet you." She kept her voice level and pleasant, avoiding the pour that normally accompanied her introductions. She was working on interacting with her new comrades without the seductive lilt and posturing she'd used on Coruscant. After all, she wasn't begging, stealing or coercing their help. They were a unit, a team, and shouldn't be treated as random strangers. She smiled brightly and took another sip from her unidentified drink. It wasn't too bad, but she longed for the slow burn of a good Corellian Brandy, her drink of choice. She had yet to discover the Order's opinion on spirits and for now would abstain.

"Kaalia." she answered, sitting down. The seductive smile Kaalia received was not unexpected, seeing the choice of attire and tone of [member='Ara Ren']'s voice. She made nothing of it however, The redhead took a bite of her ration, continuing to speak after she swallowed it down. "I haven't seen you around her before, are you new? I haven't been here for very long myself, so maybe I just didn't have the opportunity to introduce myself yet." The flame-haired woman was curious about Ara's origins, but didn't want to immediately step into a potentially sensitive topic. She wasn't particularly interested in indulging into her own past too much either; nobody knew about her time with the Jedi and nobody needed to know. Her mercenary days? The young woman will tell you great in detail. Her life as a Jedi? That never happened. The Ren retained the use of some of their teachings, out of habit, but opening up old wounds was something Kaalia wasn't interested in.

"I've only been here for a week or so. I previously resided on Coruscant." Ara took a bite of her ration and debated how much she was willing to share with the others in the order. Would she hide her history as a street rat, paint a beautiful picture of life in the entertainment district as the daughter of a popular dancer? After another bite, she decided that her past was something she wouldn't hide, there was no need. She was a long way away from that life. Besides, she'd found ways to do well on her own, a few pretty dresses and her looks had ensured that.

She eyed the woman sitting across from her. Pretty, very pretty. The scar that crossed her eye would deter some, where others would find it mysterious and alluring. Ara sat back and crossed one leg over the other, resting her chin on one hand. It was a pose she almost unconsciously adopted while dinning with a companion. The position showed off her long legs and curves, but still implied rapt attention to her partner. It was going to be difficult to break old habits, when her looks were relied on to make a living and everyone was a client.

"How long have you been with the Order? What do you make of the others? I admit I've met few beyond my master and the two women who introduced me to the Knights." She kept her answer vague, waiting to see how much Kaalia knew of her initiation into the Ren. It would be a good test of how secretive the order was about their Disciples. In the Undercity, word travelled faster than a blaster shot, it would be interesting to see how word got around the shadowy order.

"Hm, that ought to explain it. I've been here for a little while longer, but not much." Kaalia sipped on her water, acknowledging [member='Ara Ren']'s shift in sitting position by re-establishing eye contact. It was clear Ara knew of her own looks, she was flaunting no doubt, but the 19-year old couldn't help but appreciate the effort that was put into her image. She was good-looking for sure. There was a small moment of silence while the redhead appreciated the company. She hadn't really had a conversation with anyone in a while.

Most of the other Ren she spoke to were distant, cold. They would either only speak about Ren matters, or not at all. It felt lonely at times, so this was a refreshing experience. Kaalia loosened up a bit, looking more comfortable. "I never really had a home planet before joining the Ren personally, I travelled around. The usual merc stuff." She took a bite of her ration before continuing. "I've had trouble really connecting with the others. I never really had a good introduction myself, I was just kind of dropped into here, left to my own devices. I've been holding out fine though, I'm used to working alone. The rest of the Ren seem a bit distant though. It's understandable, but it does feel a little lonely at times. Anyway, what do you think of them?"

Kaalia felt like she may have opened up a bit too much, you simply didn't talk about how you felt about things as a mercenary, but she wasn't one anymore. She was an ally, so trust had to be built. It was also a good indicator to see what she'd do with the information, hopefully learning a bit more about the woman sitting with her.

Ara digested what she heard with a small smile, nodding. So Kaalia had been a mercenary, not unheard of. What was more curious was how the woman had ended up a mercenary. She didn't seem war hardened or bitter, so likely, she had turned to the profession for reasons other than growing up in the middle of the constant wars that plagued the galaxy. Ara would probe further, but not at this first meeting. And no without spirits present. They always loosened the tongue and internal barriers.

"They are....not what I expected." She laughed softly, her mind wandering to the two women, Isla and Samka, who had introduced her to the order in the first place. They were normal in ways the street-urchin hadn't suspected, but also completely different from any other force-users she'd met. She'd avoided force-users if at all possible, finding that they focused a little too much on the Auburn haired pickpocket. All they wanted was to use her, and she was not willing to be a pawn in someone else's game. "Perhaps you just haven't met the right people." She smiled beckoningly, a smile she'd used on many companions before she'd coned them out of anything from buying her a drink to paying for a month's rent on her apartment. She laughed and shook her head, letting the other woman she the humor in the movement, not a true attempt at seduction.

"Other than Master Firin, Isla, and Samka, I have met very few others. Of course, I've spent most of my week enjoying the bathing pools and exploring." Ara smiled broadly and saluted her tablemate with the bottle before finishing off her drink. "Other than practice, research, and bathe, what fun is there to be had around here? I'm used to...much more exciting surroundings. Certainly the Ren need something to do to...unwind after a long day of training." In truth, she couldn't care less if she never saw another club or neon sign again. But she did want to find out how they handled their time off, or if they were as rigid as they seemed.

"I guess you're right. I honestly didn't know what to expect of them, but I'm not surprised I don't fit in as well as others." Her mind quickly flashed back to her interactions with Zmej Ren, her presence in the Force and cold personality still bothering the redhead. She was glad to find out not all Ren were like that. "I feel like I'm... different in ways. I'll adjust in time, at least I hope." The Ren shrugged.

Kaalia chuckled back at [member='Ara Ren']'s laugh. "You sure know how to butter people up, that's for sure." She relaxed again, shaking off the bothering thoughts. Finishing her water with a last large gulp, the young woman just listened to Ara talk for a little bit. She nodded, and let out a "Hmm..." before letting silence take over for a few seconds. "You know, I actually have no idea what people do around here other than that. I have been doing pretty much the same myself since I got here, but I really could use a break. How about we figure something out?" Kaalia let out a smile. She felt ulterior motives might be in play, but the 19-year old cared little about that. Ara was probably just looking to find some footing, not unlike her, and she'd be happy to lend a hand. "What do you normally do in your off-time?"

"It comes with the territory. When you use your looks to survive for a few years, you learn a trick or two." Ara winked and laughed, offering little more than the simple statement by way of explanation. Let Kaalia think what she would about how Ara used her looks, it was of little conscience. When her companion asked about her own hobbies, she grinned wickedly, a glint of mischievousness mixing with a hint of malice in her eyes. "Have you heard of Correlian Spike? Or Sabacc?"

She produced a pair of crystalline dice with red veins running through them. They were worn, the dots mere indentations but still discernible. "I enjoy the game, but am not very good at it...until I have to be." The wicked glint hovered, her smile giving away her secret. She was a master at feigning ignorance and naiveté when conning the men back on her home planet. They always fell prey to the young, beautiful woman who just wanted to learn how to play a simple game of cards, but somehow managed to pull off an Idiot's Array when the timing was convenient.

With sabacc, it was just a matter of convincing your opponents to go easy on you and then producing a winning hand of cards while feigning surprise and awe. With Correlian Spike, it was skill and luck. Although she always wondered if the Force had guided a roll or two.

"Care to play a round? I have a deck back in my rooms. Or we could always explore this monolith of stone together. Two troublemakers are always better than one."

"Don't you start pulling tricks on me, I don't appreciate that!" Kaalia answered with a laugh. She looked at the dice, picking one up to inspect it closer. "I assume these are your tools of the trade?" They looked worn, but it gave them a certain charm. She shook the die in her hand before rolling it on the table. A 1. The young woman chuckled with a lighthearted tone.

"I've played a few games here and there, but it's been a long time. I'm up for it, though!" Kaalia answered to the question. She finished the rest of her ration. "You'll have to remind me of the rules though." The redhead expected [member='Ara Ren'] to use her tricks to win, but she didn't mind. It would be a good way to pass the time, and that's what really mattered. "We can explore the place later as well, I've been meaning to do that myself. I know where the important places are, but not everything."

"Oh, and if you ever feel like dropping onto a random planet to just explore, be sure to let me know. It's a lot of fun. It's what I did before I joined the Ren, and you can find so many breathtakingly beautiful places!" Exploring was one of Kaalia's favorite things to do. While she didn't miss the jobs she did as a merc, the planet hopping was something she cherished. "Anyway, if you want to play some Correlian Spike or Sabacc, I'd be happy to join you."

Ara laughed as her companion rolled a one. Not a bad roll depending on the house rules at the time. Taking the dice back, she deftly rolled both, satisfied when they turned up a pair of threes. She winked at [member="Kaalia Voldaren"] and scooped the dice off the table, pocketing them. She stood, pushing away from the table but leaving a portion of unfinished ration there. It bothered the street-urchin inside of her to leave even a morsel unfinished. Nights of growling bellies and the pain of muscles cramped from hunger never truly left one's mind, but she did not want their compatriots to think her some famished barbarian. No, she was well-fed and well taken care of here, she could afford to leave some on her plate.

"Shall we do a bit of both? The cards are back in my quarters, which are admittedly a bit small to enjoy company. So perhaps we search for a hospitable place to play a round or two?"

Without waiting for a reply, she turned and exited the mess hall, glancing once to make sure she wasn't leaving the other Disciple behind.

While they walked, Ara considered her other proposal, shuddering at the girl's choice of the word 'dropped'. While space travel would never be her favorite past time, it was the landing of a space craft that turned her blood to ice. The turbulence of breaking through the atmosphere, combined with rapid descent to the planet's surface felt akin to shooting yourself out of a blaster cannon. An experience she had no interesting in experiencing personally.

"I avoid travel when I can. While the rest of you might enjoy hurtling through space in a metal death trap, I like my feet on solid ground." Under her breath she added, "Like the rest of the sane people." She knew she would have to travel far and often in service to the Order, but that was what spirits were for.

"Your loss. If you ever change your mind, tell me." Kaalia followed the footsteps of [member='Ara Ren'] as they made their was to her quarters. "I quite like the excitement of space travel, but maybe I'm just used to it." The redhead shrugged while they kept walking. The hallways were quite impressive, and the awe she felt when she entered the Bastion for the first time still hadn't worn off. Her small quarters were a different story, she'd spend a good amount of time in there already. The size wasn't much of an issue though, Kaalia was used to a modest living from a young age due to her Jedi days.

"With a lifestyle like yours, you probably have some good stories to tell!" Kaalia said. She herself didn't have much of an exciting life prior to joining the Ren, but she was curious to what interesting things Ara experienced in her life. In her years as a mercenary one of her favorite things to do was listening to stories while having a drink in a cantina, but she was never able to tell any story herself. The young woman often did the less-interesting jobs, the more exciting assignments left to more experienced people.

Ara didn't seem phased by their surrounds, in truth, she found the stone walls comforting compared to the cacophony of lights and activity of her home. She laughed at [member=Kaalia Voldaren]'s comment, smiling as a few notable stories popped into her head.

"That depends on your definition of 'good'. I could tell you about the time a Chiss tried to make a move on me and ended up with his head through a window. Or about the time we discovered a politician's 'wife' was really a man in disguise." She smiled honestly, lost in memories for a moment. So many parties, dresses, gambling dens...the stories she could tell ranged from the harmless to the truly gruesome. The slums were never boring, never quiet, and Ara had seen her fair share.

"I spent more time avoiding the interesting stories than making them. Give me a nice meal and Correlian brandy over an exciting night of adventure any evening." She paused as they came to her room, unlocking and entering the room without much preamble. Her bed was piled with silky blankets in riotous colors and pillows soft enough to sink into. It was the only visible sign of personal effects. The rest of the room was empty and would have looked unused until she opened the door to the small wardrobe. Grabbing a deck of sabacc cards from a satchel resting in the bottom, she turned with a smile and held it up for inspection.

"Perfect. Now where should we go to play?"

A "Damn." followed by a hearty chuckle was heard as Kaalia listened to what [member="Ara Ren"] had to say. "My life has been much more boring, I can tell you that." Ara seemed lost in thought, and Kaalia wondered what she was thinking of. She herself had found herself in situations she wouldn't forget before, like how she got her red-bladed lightsaber, but they weren't the most compelling stories to tell. It was just... Surviving.

"Well, you still have your fair share it seems. And those are memories you keep. Although I must say, having a good meal and a good drink is something I can very much appreciate myself." As they entered Ara's room, Kaalia took in what she saw. The blankets and pillows looked comfortable, but a bit too much for the young woman's tastes. She herself was used to a simple place to sleep. Looking at the deck of cards Ara was holding up, the redhead thought over the question that was sent her way.

"Hmm, not sure. How about we look around?"

Ara motioned for the other girl to lead the way and fell into step behind her.

"Most of them you wish you didn't have, trust me." She laughed good humoredly and clapped [member="Kaalia Voldaren"] on the shoulder. She knew that most of the stories and memories she had, the disciple would happily trade away. "I'm sure you have your fair share of stories. You said you travelled? Until coming here, I'd never even left Coruscant."

Her face scrunched up as she remembered the dingy, noisy slums of her youth. "Honestly, I didn't even know greenery existed until seeing the forest surrounding this place."

She sighed happily and ran her hand along the wall of the corridor they walked down. "Do you know how different the trees smell compared to the city?"

They left the room as Kaalia felt the hand on her shoulder. There was a slight pause in her step, before continuing her walk. "I travelled, yes, but only in the last few years before joining the Ren. The only really noteworthy story would be when I dueled the man who used to own this saber, and gave me my scar." The redhead unclipped the saber on her right, twirled it around, and clipped back on her hip. She didn't mention the other saber, the blue colored one, on her left hip hoping she wouldn't inquire about it. The young woman wasn't sure how [member="Ara Ren"] would react to her Jedi past, and didn't want to deal with any hostile reactions. "I did travel during those years, although I mostly explored the more tame parts of a planet. I'm not used to the workings of the street life."

"Really? Your early years must've been rough. I used to spend a good amount of time seeking peace in the wilds myself, but I still very much enjoy nature. It's soothing." She turned to Ara, nodding to her as a sign of empathy. She didn't know what she'd been through, but Kaalia had respect for Ara. Her interal struggles weren't present in her early days, the young woman only started questioning the ways of the Light when she started being shunned for showing her emotions. She still very much teetered on the edge between the Light and Dark, but never outed her struggles- she didn't expect anyone to understand.

Kaalia's mind was cast back to reality when Ara mentioned the different smells of the city and the trees of the world. "I grew up with both, so I guess I was used to both since the start. I never really noticed the difference."

Ara eyed the saber with a look of envy but also respect. How long had Kaalia been using a saber? She had only recently started to learn and she'd take a fair guess that her friend was a few years younger than herself. Once again she felt drastically behind, but didn't let it show. She'd work hard to catch up and even surpass some of them in time. Until then, they were a team. She had to remember that. They were a unit meant to work together. If she had any points of weakness, her fellow disciples would cover for her as she would them.

"Now that is a story I'd very much like to hear. How long have you been studying with a saber?"

She shrugged, not wishing to dwell on the unpleasantness of her past. So she focused on the details Kaalia provided. She linked an arm around her friend's arm, the flirtatious smile back.

"Where did you grow up?"

They were coming to the end of the disciples quarters and she could already tell that the path would split. Which way to go?

"I've been practicing the art of the saber for as long as I can remember, but it's a story I don't want to bore you with. How I got this particular one, that goes back to my mercenary days." Kaalia paused for a second, recalling the exact details of the event. It had been a while since she thought about that day. She aimed to move over the first question as quickly as possible, scared of how [member="Ara Ren"] would react to her former Jedi days. "A man was causing trouble for someone at the regular. I was hired to make sure he wouldn't interfere with him again, something I was used to doing. It never was much of a problem, people tend to be intimidated by the mere sight of a lightsaber. A small wrench in the whole thing however, was the fact he was a Force user and quite skilled in lightsaber combat as well. He almost killed me, even grazed my eye with his saber. That's where the scar comes from." The redhead showed her eye more clearly to Ara, letting some silence fall. She recalled the fear she felt, it was the first time in her life she was anywhere close to dying. It was her first true experience with the Dark side, using that fear to fuel her power to defeat him, and eventually led her towards the Ren. "I'm lucky I didn't lose sight in that eye. I managed to defeat and kill him in the end, by the bare skin of my teeth, and took his saber. I still use my older saber as well, I've been teaching myself Jar'Kai techniques in order to use both."

Kaalia sighed. She wasn't used to telling people about it, but it felt good to get it of her chest. She then felt the arm linking with her own, her face turning a slight red. Ara's smile was answered by a sheepish one by the young woman, making it obvious she was very shy about this. Another question came her way, one she had to think about for a while. "I never really stuck around a place for long. I grew up going from place to place, from planet to planet. It was a good life though, discovering the wonders of the galaxy while learning invaluable lessons." They came to the end of the hall, and the path split into left and right. Without much thought, the flame-haired woman went left, leading into another long hallway.

Ara glanced sidelong at her, the evasive answers only raising more questions. When the girl showed her scar for inspection, she barely resisted the urge to trace it lightly with a finger. Judging by the way Kaalia reacted to a simple linking of the arms, she had a feeling the other disciple would find the move a bit too personal for comfort. Hmm, and some people didn't believe Ara had boundaries.

Ara whistled quietly at the end of her story, allowing the younger woman to steer them left, down an otherwise unmarked corridor. "Impressive. And yes, lucky. Very lucky." She glanced at the aforementioned saber and smiled. Such a trophy won would be a powerful weapon. Ara could only hope the saber she was traveling to Dagobah with Talon Ren to retrieve would have such an auspicious story to it.

Kaalia's sigh revealed the weight that went along with her story, one of survival that should bring pride. She wondered why the red-haired girl seemed reluctant rather than exuberant to tell it. There was more buried deep down, under all the folds and hiding in the crevices, but Ara would not push. Not so soon after them meeting.

In return for the story that was offered, she spun one of her own. "I....do not like heights. Or space travel." A massive understatement, but there it was. "When I was younger, I was pursued by a rival gang, angry at me for stealing a portable comm unit on their territory." her laugh was bitter and empty. It seemed so stupid now, that kids would beat each other for stealing a simple scrap of metal that was worth a few rations at best. But that was the reality of life on the streets in Coruscant.

"I thought I could outmaneuver them and I used the rooftops to do it. I overestimated my own abilities and...fell. I don't remember hitting the ground, or even how I survived. I woke up days later in a Med ward, whole, and in debt to some stranger who had dragged me in."

Ara shrugged to disguise a shiver of fear that always appeared when she thought about that day. "I guess we are both lucky."

The full story: The jump I missed

Luck was such a weird thing. Some people denied its existance, instead believing such occurances are destiny. Kaalia was not one of those people, believing that that every event was linked in some way, eventually leading to larger events. A single step set in a different direction could mean the difference between life and death minutes later, and there was no way of preparing for such things. If an event was in your favor, you were lucky. Despite being attuned to the Force, she did not believe in it steering your fate. "I'm just... Not a hero. I'm just another girl who doesn't know what she's doing."

It seemed Kaalia's story opened up [member="Ara Ren"] a bit more as she started talking about her fear of heights and space travel. Falling from a rooftop sounded like one of the worst things that could've happened, and the redhead respected her friend for even being here. "That's crazy. I'm glad you survived that, I would've been completely alone here without you. It sounds a bit selfish, but it's true. You're great company. let's hope luck continues to be in our favor." The woman's mind was cast back to a few seconds before, where Ara explained she was running from a 'rival gang'. "A rival gang, huh... I guess your roots weren't very high up the societal ladder. Surprising, given your looks."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom