Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship BTL-S12 K-wing Aerofortress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sieb Tevv

S
koensayr_manufacturing_logo_banner_by_viperaviator-d51wajo.png
swx33_preview.jpg
Image Source: Koensayr by Viper Aviator and K-wing from Fantasy Flight Games
Affiliation: Galactic Alliance
Manufacturer: Koensayr Manufacturing
Model: BTL-S12 K-wing Aerofortress “Flying Bastion”
Modularity: No
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel
Classification: Bomber
Length: 17 meters
Height: 4 meters
Width: 20 meters

Armament Rating: 16
18 Hardpoints (5 on the upper wings, 4 on the lower)
Chin-mounted Quad VT Particle Gatling Bubble Turret
1 Twin Laser Cannon Turret

Suggested Configurations:

Capital Ship Engagement:
6 T-33 Plasma Torpedoes
4 Proton Bombs
8 Proton Rockets

Air to Ground:
2 Ion Bombs
10 Cluster Bombs
4 Concussion Missiles
2 Flechette Missiles

Defense Rating: 16
Deflector Shield

Squadron Count: 6

Special Features:
SLAM System
Deflector Shields

Maneuverability Rating: 4
Speed Rating: 4 (2 with SLAM)
Hyperdrive Class: 1

Strengths:
  • Ship Buster: the notorious K-wing design, brought back from the reliquaries of designer hell and refurbished, is capable of wreaking havoc on enemy capital ships and ground forces alike.
  • SLAM: The acceleration motor helps kick the K-wing into high gear when it needs to break off after an attack run. This is only possible in short bursts and using it more than three times in the span of an hour will cause the engines to go critical and fail.
Weaknesses:
  • Casualty Aversion: Alliance command was reluctant to renew the design, since it requires a crew of four in order to operate effectively. The loss of one K-wing is often the loss of those four pilots.
  • Blindspot: While the K-wing is heavily armed, a tailing starfighter can manage to avoid the fire of the bubble turret and laser turret by flying close to the K-wing’s six, just underneath the third and uppermost engine. The two turrets’ fields of fire do not reach that area.
  • Maneuverability: More comparable to a freighter than a bomber in maneuverability, the K-wing is lacking in this area.
  • Power Draw: The VT particle gatling uses an inordinate amount of power from the generator, meaning two things. First, the bombardier has to monitor the energy output to ensure that the gatling is not used excessively and that too much of a strain is not placed on the generators. Second, use of the SLAM is not possible in conjunction with the VT gatling. Engineers recommend at least a thirty second cool down between VT gatling usage and use of the SLAM.
Description:
The battle is going well. Your force of Imperial walkers are pushing back the Alliance scum. They’re on the run. You can sense they’re close to breaking. All of a sudden, your taccom officer is yelling in your ear. You stare at him, then at the radar, then you look to the skies while a sense of dread creeps through your ice cold veins.

You spot a squadron of large, dark shapes breaking through the clouds. Their distinctive forms quickly become apparent. The bane of any mechanized unit.

K-wings.

The BTL-S12 K-wing Aerofortress, or Flying Bastion as it’s known to the pilots, is a super heavy bomber meant to rain unequivocal annihilation on capital ships, ground hardpoints, and mechanized vehicles.

The K-wing is used in conjunction with superiority starfighters to assault targets too tough for standard bombers, such as the Y-wing, to eliminate. External hardpoints allow the K-wing to carry a heavier payload. However, the cost is that those missiles are not protected by hull plating from enemy fire. For instance, a Y-wing’s bellyful of bomblets is protected by both deflector shields and the hull of the actual Y-wing itself. While the protection might be minimal, it prevents stray or lucky shots from hitting and igniting carried ordnance. The same is not true for the K-wing.

Development Thread: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/100930-aerofortress/#entry1459223
Intent: To factory-ize an updated version of the K-wing
Who Can Use This: Galactic Alliance
Canon Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-S8_K-wing_assault_starfighter

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Sieb Tevv"], looks like it follows the original K-wing fairly closely, with the exception of adding the hyperdrive (I never understood why the original K-wing didn't have one). I think the lowered squadron count certainly helps with balancing some of the inherent power in this design.

Sieb Tevv said:
1 Chin-mounted Quad Turbolaser Bubble Turret

I realize that this is an armament found on the canon K-wing design. At Chaos, however, we typically don't have anything but light turbolasers on smaller vessels. If we are to go back to the actual RPG stats where much of this information comes from, we see that the few starfighters armed with "turbolasers" aren't actually any more powerful than heavy or quad laser cannons. It might use turbolaser technology, but in terms of gameplay performance, it's still a quad laser cannon of some variety. I see two options for this:

1) Change it a quad laser cannon
2) Keep it labelled as a quad turbolaser, but make it clear in the description that it isn't overall more powerful than a standard quad laser cannon. You may do some variation with this. Perhaps each bolt is individually more damaging, but the weapon has a lower rate of fire.

Otherwise, this looks pretty solid to me. As a suggestion, for whoever is looking at this in the future, I might suggest hyperlinking some of your ordinance to Wookieepedia, such as the T-33 Plasma Torpedo.

[member="Sieb Tevv"], from the VT Partice Gatling Cannon sub:
Of course, because of the weapons massive power draws there are also other failings that could be presented, though this depends on the ship that the weapon is built around. These failings could include, but are not limited to, shield drop, speed inconsistencies, Significantly decreased maneuverability, and other flaws one might find when a good deal of a power generators out pout is consumed.
Based on this, I'd like to see something written how the massive power draw of this weapon system would affect this ship's performance.

Sieb Tevv said:
Power Draw: The VT particle gatling uses an inordinate amount of power from the generator, meaning two things. First, the bombardier has to monitor the energy output to ensure that the gatling is not used excessively and that too much of a strain is not placed on the generators.

What does this mean in practical gameplay effects?

Sieb Tevv said:
Second, use of the SLAM is not possible in conjunction with the VT gatling. Engineers recommend at least a thirty second cool down between VT gatling usage and use of the SLAM.

This is more of a weakness to the SLAM system rather than something that really offsets the benefits gained by this exotic weapon system. Moreover, based on the canon SLAM system, energy redirection from weapons to power the SLAM is the standard regardless of what the weapon system is.

As the VT gatling system judge noted, this is an exceptionally powerful weapon. It's going to warrant extra scrutiny from me because of balance concerns.

I see two options for this:

1) Keep submission as is and do a 10 post development thread

2) Add in something about how this weapon degrades some aspect of normal ship performance while it's in use

[member="Sieb Tevv"]
I'm going to archive this submission for inactivity. Please PM either myself or another Admin/RPJ when you wish to continue.

Moved to Archives - PM [member="Spencer Varanin"] for removal / if denied for Second Chance please post and tag Spencer Varanin for review.

Thank you!

<p>RESEARCH REVIEW<br />-----<br />Star Wars Canon:<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />Starwars Chaos:<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />WITHOUT DEV THREADS<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />WITH DEV THREADS<br />Pending Initial review<br />------<br />SUGGESTIONS<br />Pending Inital review</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom