Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken Places

Coruscant_03db43b4.jpeg
In times of great strife, often the weary look back, and wish for the comforts of home.

The galaxy is full of weary people. Workers, counting the hours 'til closing time. Warriors in the heat of war, longing for nothing but to throw their blasters on the ground and return to their families. Battle-torn Jedi and Sith, who would love nothing more than to flee back to their temples, release the grips of their lightsabers.

But they don't go home. They continue to work, to fight, to learn.

As much as the weary may pretend that they are invincible, that no amount of work can bow their backs, they are tired. And the tired need rest.

Commenor was recovering from battle after consecutive battle, workers and soldiers and Forcies all praying for rest. But none could boast to have worked more than Lady Kay. The President-turned-Prisoner-turned-President was slaving for her people, carrying their burdens on her back. There had to be a breaking point. But no, she continued to work, and work, and work.

It was time to rest.
- - -
CORUSCANT
18:00
Coruscant was still reeling from the departure of the Galactic Alliance. While not as violent as the other power changes in it's history, it left the people with more questions than ever before. For the first time in years, the city-planet had no over-arching government: only themselves.

Ghorua could see it in the faces he passed. An aged man in a fine suit, staring up at the setting sun, a melacholy countenance to him. A trio of younger humans, zipping along with all the freedom in the world. But there was a pervasive unease, as if no one knew what was to come. It was new; lonely, but liberating.

Even amid the ever-present threat of attack, it was a fresh breath of air.

The Shark meandered to a skyport on Coruscant's surface, waiting for a long-anticipated visitor. It had been too long since Ghorua had seen Kay. He briefly participated in the first Battle for Coruscant, before the Sith took the planet. He could have done more. He should have.

He wore common clothes, black and grey as always. No weapons but his vibroknife in his boot. A risky move, but he felt safe. They were going to be on his turf, after all.

The night was coming on slowly, Coruscant's regulated atmosphere keeping the temperature above an uncomfortable chill, the sun dipping below the cragged horizon. Ghorua waited, leaning on a pillar, feeling the tension in his shoulders.

They both needed a vacation.

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
It had felt like a lifetime had passed since Kay had seen [member="Ghorua the Shark"] . Maybe it was. So much had happened; Commenor had gone through two new chapters in it's history and was now onto it's third. Neutrality had been lost. Such a thing still wore heavy on Kay's heart given that so many had told her that such a feat would never work. But she had succeeded.

For a time.

Now what was to happen she didn't know.

For now though, she was asked to see her longtime friend; one that had at one point held her captive when a bounty was held on her head for a time. But through the passage of time they had earned eachother's trust and forgiveness.

The Free Lady soon touched down on the designated landing pad, gentle and without a scratch on her. And as the ramp was lowered, she strode out of it dressed as casually as her guards were. Today she wasn't a Queen or a leader. Today she was just Kay Arenais; on a visit to see one of her best friends.

With a smile she spotted him leaning against a pillar. It was hard not to spot the Herglic. Kay approached him for a hug, her guards keeping watch at a distance.

"So lovely to see you, my friend. How are you?"

Ghorua tracked the Free Lady as it sailed through the Coruscanti sky, smiling giddily. When was the last time they'd met? It had been too long, that was for sure.

The Shark waited, a statuesque stillness to him, as he watched the Lady touch down in the skyport. He observed happily as an entourage of people, hiding weapons in their common clothes, stepped off, accompanied by the Lady herself. Ghorua shoved off the pillar, all the nervous energy in his system eking away.

There were few people in the galaxy Ghorua liked and trusted more than Kay.

Ghorua took a knee as Kay approached, and reciprocated the hug. It felt good, being so close to her again after all this time. No threat of combat, no bounty, just friends meeting again.

He stood up again, investigating Kay and her guards. There was a tiredness in her personnel. Maybe they needed this just as much as she did. As he did. But, as always, Kay was an enigma to read. He'd need to spend more cracking that particular egg.

"Hey, stranger," he said, holding back a beaming grin. He motioned away from the skyport, out into the bustling street. "Shall we?"

Ghorua walked into the street, admiring the way the setting sun's rays bounced off the durasteel and glass, creating a beautiful kaleidoscopic rainbow.

"I'm doing alright for myself. A few jobs, a few credits. Keeping afloat."

Ghorua had done a little more than that. He'd joined a shady criminal organization and kidnapped a woman, for one thing. It wasn't something he was entirely proud of, but he needed the money. And from what he heard, the woman was rescued with nothing but mild cuts. He did a few more hits for the GenoHaradan, and decided to lay low after. It weighed heavily on him.

The large Bounty Hunter shifted the subject before it could show. "How are you? From what I've heard, you've been keeping busy." The Shark chuckled. "How hard can organizing the rebirth of an entire planet be, after all?"

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

Kay held onto that hug by [member="Ghorua the Shark"] for a long moment, hiding her face in his shoulder. It was good to be with him. She was safe and with him she was allowed to be more like herself instead of sticking with her role in the Galactic politics. Her emotions threatened to release as they had been bottled up inside since the siege had occurred, but she swallowed them back.

Again another smile was given as she nodded and walked with him, hooking her arm in with his for support as well as a sign of her confidence that she'd come to no harm here. Her guards needed to see that.

"Well, it's a lot harder than before, when I was first elected President after the One Sith left the territory. There is far more destruction this time, and much more to rebuild. The Commenor Systems Alliance collapsed before the siege happened, and all out of fear that their planets would be next. I failed at being a good leader. Hopefully....I can correct those mistakes." Having to surrender her people wasn't one of her proudest moments. Yet after losing over 8 million in a single second, she just couldn't risk losing more people due to her pride at not bending the knee.

"Where are we off to today?"

Ghorua walked in silence, letting Kay speak. His eyes drifted lazily over the street as they walked, making sure everything was locked down. The people around here didn't care much who walked the street, too glued to their devices to bother the President or the Herglic. It felt almost normal. Like this was just another day, walking with a friend.

"Sorry to hear that," the Shark replied, genuinely feeling the ache in his chest for the people of Commenor. He had ties in Chasin City, outside the Lady, and he'd lost a few. "But to have even the chance to rebuild is a miracle."

The Shark's small smile returned. "Lead them well. They need your strength more than ever..."

Ghorua was a little nervous about taking Kay to Commenor. But there was little chance of it, given the planet's recent ties to the Alliance. Even if there were trouble, Kay had her guards, and Ghorua had Nibal Han.

The Gungan stepped from an alley, dressed in full combat gear, a poncho hiding his form, as well as his large, floppy hat. He tipped it to the pair, making sure to look as non-threatening as possible. He was a loyal trainee, that was for sure. A little rigid, but a hard worker, fast on his feet.

"...And you need a break," the Shark finished, nodding his head to the man. "This is Nibal Han Karba. He's my newest mentee. And today, his job is to catch anything your security detail doesn't."

The blue-skinned Gungan stood still, and offered a "Greetings," in a low, resonant voice, hiding his face under the hat. He didn't often say more.

Ghorua paused his stride, looking down at Kay, barely contained excitement lighting up his face.

"I was thinking we go to the operahouse. There's a new show opening, and I've heard great things about it."

"If that's alright with you, of course."

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

Kay nodded to the words of [member="Ghorua the Shark"] . He was right. The fact that they were there to rebuild was something. The sacrifices of those that fought and died for them was not done in vain. There were those that survived that could make Commenor thrive once again. But whether or not the people, and even outside governments had faith in her, she had no idea.

She looked to Nibal as he approached and bowed her head. "Hello. Good to meet you." It didn't surprise her that Ghorua would be cautious. Coruscant wasn't exactly a peaceful planet. Conflict has been a part of it's culture throughout the ages.

Her attention was then brought up to Ghorua as he spoke. Oh she saw that twinkle in his eyes and it made her smile brightly. "I'd be delighted. What's it about? Or is it a surprise?"

Nibal Han returned from whence he came, nodding to Kay's guards stoically before he departed. Ghorua felt safe with young man so close, trusting in the boy's military training, and Ghorua's own added supplements.

All going well, the Shark wouldn't see him again until after Kay left.

Ghorua continued walking, arm-in-arm with the Lady. "Not entirely sure. All I've heard is that the lead soprano has... an interesting timbre." Ghorua decided to leave it at that. It was easy to forget Ghorua once had a career as a classically-trained jizz musician. As musically inclined as he was, Ghorua didn't look back on those days often. He was glad he dropped the potential career when he had the chance.

They continued to stroll, minute after hushed minute, watching the people pass. Ghorua couldn't help but wonder at their lives. When he lived on Coruscant before, the Herglic had passed these people like they were nothing more than objects, bodies in the way of where he wanted to go. These days, he understood; each face had a life, feelings, goals and aspirations. Each one, the young woman rushing by, the old Weequay coughing up a storm, the homeless Gurlanin that Ghorua stopped at to place a few credits within arm's reach.

They all were just as important as Ghorua and Kay, in the grand scheme of things.

They traveled a few more blocks, Ghorua marveling at the nostalgia of it all. He knew this neighborhood like the back of his hand.

"When was the last time you were on Coruscant?" the Shark inquired, looking up at the dazzling lights as they passed them.

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

"You're not so bad of a vocalist yourself, you know." [member="Ghorua the Shark"] had taken to the stage during some of her ceremonies. He was quite good and she found that she could easily lose herself in his voice. But some felt the same way about her whenever she sang on the stage. Or maybe they just said so because she's the Queen.

In silence they walked and she took in every moment of it. Her time under house arrest had often led her to be quiet and alone, trusting nary a soul. But here the silence wasn't uncomfortable and wasn't brought on by some trauma. It was just the two of them people-watching as they made their way to the opera house.

"When was the last time that I was here?..." Kay thought back on it. When was the last time? Oh yes. She had come and visited a private zoo. All in the name of a business contract. "That would have to be before the twins were born. So nearly twenty years. The two are 18 now.
Can you believe it?"

Ghorua whistled thoughtfully, the rumble of laughter in his belly. "That long, huh?" Ghorua remembered Kay, before she'd had her children. Back when Minna was still a young girl, unsure of her place in the world. They still lived together, even though his daughter could easily leave her old man for better things.

Why she hadn't yet, Ghorua didn't know.

They passed an access hole deeper into Coruscant, and it brought back golden memories. Staring out the speeder window as the Balin's traveled up for one of the few vacations they got.

The Shark continued walking, watching, waiting, until the opera house came into view. The shining white beacon of a building would fade in the setting sun, were it not for the multitudes of floodlights, dancing color that radiated out like wildfire. The lights dipped and pitched every which way, the erratic movements almost like the spinning of a ballerina.

It wasn't the best opera house on Coruscant. But it was his favorite.

The pair of them walked in through a long carpet, along with other citizens, all dressed as casually as Ghorua. Families, bringing children. Older couples, enjoying a night on the town. Ghorua suddenly wished Minna could have come, to see the splendor. But she was busy with her own affairs. Next time.

They walked into the seating area, and Ghorua found a seat large enough for his bulky frame. Soft red fabric cascaded from the ceiling, flags heralding the coming show. The stage was large, framed by red felt, decorated by intricate gold carvings. He plopped down in his seat, inviting Kay to do the same.

A brief silence, watching the people come in, and find their own alcoves. Ghorua smiled. "I used to come here with my Mom," he said, in a reverent tone. "She'd perform on that stage, and they'd let me sit in the wings to watch." Ghorua was carried away by his own memories. He could imagine her, twirling on that stage, filling the room with a thrilling aria. "She was beautiful. An alto that could make hearts soar, let me tell you."

"Even better than the mighty vocals of Lady Kay, if I may be so bold." He flashed a shark-toothed grin.

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

Although the opera house wasn't grand in stature like some would expect on a rich planet like Coruscant, the opera house that [member="Ghorua the Shark"] took her to was splendid in it's own right. It was cozy and had a bit more of a personal touch, as opposed to a place that was trying to show off. It was the performances on stage that were the real show, not the building itself.

Kay sat next to her friend, listening as he reminisced about his mother. She had never met any of his family, outside of Minna. More than likely they were all gone, which was sad as she certainly would have loved to have heard of the tales of the great Ghorua as a youth. And not tales spoken by himself, of course.

She chuckled as he made his statement of comparison between her singing and that of his mother. "Oh you're very lucky to have grown up with it. And it wouldn't surprise me that she could sing better. I don't think that anyone would pay to hear mine. Why they have to suffer through it." She winked at him. Would she sing at the upcoming celebrations? More than likely she wouldn't. There were others to celebrate about. Kay was determined to not be the focus of it. That would happen later.

"I called your vocals 'mighty' for a reason, Kay." Ghorua chuckled, smiling. "You are a wonderful singer. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Including yourself."

Sometimes, the Lady's confidence baffled him. How she could keep her cool in the stressful situations she plunged into was mind-boggling. But then something would come up to remind him that she was indeed, only human. Like being self-conscious about her singing voice, for example.

"I've heard you once, at that Gala, but I still remember it." He did. It had stunned him that the Lady sang, and so well. "Sure, I performed, but you... You sang. And that's beautiful."

He grinned winningly, then craned his neck around, noting that no one was sitting behind them. He was a little tall, so that logic followed.

"Hypothetical question," Ghorua murmured, conscientious of his loud voice, but always containing his trademark coyness. "Do you understand Rodian?"

The lights were dimming.

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

Kay smirked a little at his compliment of her singing, and then bowed her head in thanks. It was true, she was her worst critic in a lot of things. Making bad choices can often do that to someone. And she regrets each and every one of them.

But right now she was choosing to enjoy her time with [member="Ghorua the Shark"] , a friend that she would trust to the end of the Galaxy and back again. Deciding to befriend him was one of her best choices.

"I know only a little. Not really enough to get me by though. Why? Is that the language that this opera is in?" There were plenty of songs that she never understood the language and what was being said. But that didn't matter. It was the melody and the voices that still portrayed the song's meaning.

"You'll see." Ghorua muttered, watching the lights dim, feeling the excitement of showmanship course it's way through his veins. He felt like he did before going into battle; his muscles tensed, his eyes shone, his mouth tweaked into a grin of ecstasy.

And the show began, as every good show does- the parting of the red curtains.

An overture from the pit began to play as the scene unfurled before the crowd. Two beings stood on the stage, each striking a heroic pose. A Rodian woman, dressed in exotic furs and battle armor, swung a prop blaster in her arms, an inherent confidence in her eyes. The woman aside her, a pale near-human with yellow eyes, had a training lightsaber in her hand, which extended into a subtle yellow blade.

They began to sing, and the rest of the world fell away. The Rodian had a high, nasally tone, but danced among the depth-defying recitatives with ease. The other woman was deeper, more grounded, but just as lyrical. Bright white holoprojectors on top of the stage displayed the translation of the Rodian tongue, telling an awful story.

A story of a hunt for a vicious swamp beast, which turned into a hunt for love. Beautifully-choreographed vibroblade duels, a teasing duet, even a hyper-realistic hologram to play the part of the heinous beast. It was a tale of love, a tale of loss, and a tale of victory over evil.

The Shark loved it all. Rodian Theater sure did get the blood pumping, even if it was adapted for the operahouse to be less violent than the original production.

It was easy to see where Ghorua got his bravado from.

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

Kay smirked a little as [member="Ghorua the Shark"] was being cryptic in his answer. But she settled in beside him and looked to the stage as the curtains were drawn and the show began.

From the moment that it started, she was transfixed to the story. Thankfully there were translations offered. But the feeling of the story was easily seen, giving the overall picture, without translations really being needed. Kay was drawn into it and lost herself as she did in the mystery novels that she loved to read. She jumped during some of the fights, and nearly wept at the moments of loss. Maybe it hit a little too close to home at times.

She leaned against her friend while the show continued, knowing that soon it would end. But did she really want it to? No. She enjoyed the escape.

The opera lasted all of two-and-a-half hours. A rather short production, per the usual for Rodian theater. But every second was a wild ride all it's own. The highs, lows, rising tension into dramatic climax, falling into a final, heartbreaking death scene, and the triumphant return of only one hunter, looking to the future with sadness, excitement, and a yearning to continue the hunt.

At the end, the opera house erupted into rancorous applause, Ghorua included. He may have teared up a little at the end there. He stood up proudly, heralding the actors as they came onto stage, and took their bows.

Ghorua smiled down at the Lady, having noted her own emotional rollercoaster throughout the piece. He'd felt similarly. There was something about opera that showed unfiltered emotion, unlike any other art.

Finally, the room calmed down, and people began to filter out. Ghorua ventured a question at his friend. "What'd you think? Was it worth coming out all this way for?"

Of course, that wasn't all Ghorua had planned.

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

Kay stood up as the others in the audience gave the well deserved standing ovation. She applauded and whistled, although it was easily drowned out with the rest of the crowd.

A glance to [member="Ghorua the Shark"] was all that she needed to see the glint of wetness under his eye. The ol' Herglic can be quite a softie at times and she loved him for it. He didn't show that side of himself to many; Kay was one of a handful. And she kinda liked it that way. They both had their secrets that they trusted ine snother with. It made her feel all the more special.

"Oh yes! I really lost myself in it, just like I can with my holo-novels." She looked up at him with a broadening smile. "I wonder if we'll see an opera about you one day."

Ghorua smiled warmly at her agreement. An opera about him? "That would be the dream, I suppose. They'd have to find a big actor to play me."

"But I doubt it." He scootched out of the row of seats, beginning the slow, stuck-behind-foot-traffic walk out of the theater. "Anyone worth their Craitian Salt knows that operas need romance. Love and loss! An inspiring ending." He barely looked back at the Lady, staring ahead, seemingly single-minded in his task of escorting them out. But he was thinking, always the introspective.

"No inspiring ending in my future, I don't think." They made it outside, and Ghorua breathed in deep, like a whale about to dive, enjoying what precious air he had left. He checked his holopad, making sure everything was still kosher.

- [member="Lady Kay"] -

Kay-Larr

"Don't sell yourself short." Kay followed in behind him, using [member="Ghorua the Shark"] as her means of moving through the crowds a lot easier. "You've had plenty of adventures that could become a great story. You're a hero. And a hero's story is always a riveting one."

Once outside she stepped up beside him, taking a look around as the Herglic took in his deep breath. The air certainly smelled different than it did on Commenor. There was less nature here. Not to mention that the city levels ran deeper than any Commenorian mine.

"Where to next?" Kay knew that he had some sort of plan. Whether it was showing her where they'd be sleeping or what tourist spot they'd hit next. She knew that he had things prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom