Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadening Horizons [Ayden Hatter]

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
@[member="Ayden Cater"]

Fondor
Omega Towers

Back when Cira was still Lady Protector, HK would bug her on daily basis, asking for always more funds for his projects, using his Sugar Momma while he still had time.

However, for a long while now he was asking little to nothing of the Protectorate management personnel. He simply didn't had any need to, after he was given oversight of Abregado-Rae he had his own budget and everything he was working on was local, scarcely leaving the surface of the planet.

But now, he had plans which required approval of the Protectorate government, a formation of another company on Abregado-Rae with outposts on other Protectorate planets, this time, one that would be able to create all kinds of technological and electronic goods. From arms to gaming consoles. From toys and movies to ship components. Any old random crap the droid and the writer would feel like making.

So, there he was, a datapad of information in hand, he would walk down the corridor leading to the Protector's office, showing a certification pass to posts of guards on the way before finally he would come to the desk of the secretary.
"Let the Lord Protector know that the Iron Knight is here to speak with him as scheduled."

@[member="HK-36"]

Ayden sat in his chair and stared at the bottle that stood in the center of the desk. Droids didn't drink. This meant his customary ceremony of sharing a drink over business was out. That meant that things were going to be weird. Still, the droid had apparently been overseeing Abregado-Rae for many months now and hadn't wrecked the place or started a droid revolution yet. That was a good sign. Right? The pesky issue with having to deal with a droid was that Ayden couldn't read them, or subtly influence them in their dealings. Still, HK had an impressive service history and rarely made outlandish requests. So if he was coming to him, Ayden felt confident that it would be a simple deal.

"Send him in."

HK-36

@[member="Ayden Cater"]

The doors would open and the slender armor figure of the being would come in, his chameleon cloak cascading off of his shoulders as he took three steps from the doorway towards Ayden's desk before giving his superior a bow in greeting,
"Lord Protector, I hope you are well after our valiant defense of Eriadu. That one was a doozy."
He would tap his fingers on the datapad he held, opening the file about the company he was working on,
"I have not faced a Vong army since I have granted my services to the Republic before the Plague. But, time is credits and in these times we have little of it to spare, especially with Fringe on our doorsteps."

The droid offered the datapad to Ayden, the file on it listed the current manufacturing facilities on Abregado Rae as well as blueprints for few promising weapons droid ordered research on, including powered suits, an old projects he spoke to with Lady Cira about, the Scarab armor, maces designed to fight Vong by killing their amphi-staves, and force pikes with phrik spear-heads designed to pierce most of current personal armor models in melee combat. On the datapad there were also filed requests for operations on Bespin, Mustafar, and Fondor.

"I need to speak to you about few concerns I had, most prominently a technology manufacturing company based on Abregado-Rae, subsidiary of OmegaCorp, Force knows that I do not want to upset you folks in Fondor by having a droid-run planet mass-produce weaponry without any oversight, but with operations on Fondor, in case I need to get in touch with shipyards, and Bespin and Mustafar, for hiring mining operations. I believe that with this company I can start running projects without need to bother OmegaCorp representatives as well as begin creating valid defenses on Abregado."

The droid folded his arms behind his back, letting the Protector read over the information and evaluate it. The manufacturing thing was really the biggest concern, besides that he still had an inquiry about his current rank in the Protectorate and the petition project he was planning.

Ayden's eyes nearly crossed as the droid spoke, near to rambling, about operations and plans. There was a lot on the pad and being said to process, and while the Corellian prided himself on being very technologically smart, he was still only human. Still, after [member="HK-36"] paused, Ayden looked through the data and began forming a coherent picture on what was being put in front of him. The details were all there, in extreme detail, but then again that was hardly surprising given HK's nature as a droid.

After a few moments, Ayden set the pad down and folded his hands on the table. "You've put together quite a proposal. It'll take some time for me to review the entirety of it, but my preliminary response says it can be done. If not as a whole, then in parts." He picked the pad up again and flipped through some of the designs. "Some of these will have to go on a back burner though. Despite the Vong presence on Eriadu, their numbers were fewer than a hundred. Until now, we've seen no evidence of Vong working with the Fringe. Their presence their could indicate a mercenary presence, in which case the Fringe are more desperate than I realized." Ayden looked the droid in the photoreceptor before continuing. "I'm not convinced that we're on the cusp of a massive Vong invasion. If you wish to private develop some prototypes, we'll see where that leads. But I can't begin devoting state resources to develop mass-produced counter measures to a threat that may or may not exist."

Taking a minute to collect his thoughts, Ayden fetched a bottle from his desk and poured himself a glass. Normally he'd pour a second for his guest, but as HK was droid and droids did not run off alcohol, that would have been a waste of good whiskey. "As far as business on Fondor, while I could certainly arrange for facilities to be set up here for your convenience here, the shipyards are under full capacity already with existence build and refit orders. It could be months before an order finishes and something opens up, and that's assuming we don't have any orders on a waiting list." He said in a straight tone before continuing. "Most of the Protectorate's major shipyards are stressed to capacity as well. While the Fondor Defense Fleet is fully up-to-date on tech and designs, a lot of our defense forces are not. As much as I would like to help you by giving you access to the shipyards, the point is I simply don't have any spaces to give you. Unless you're suggesting that we begin construction of shipyards over Abregado-Rae."

HK-36

[member="Ayden Cater"]

HK nodded at Ayden's answer,
"Very well, I shall manufacture my prototypes in minor quantities first and deploy them to my troops, if they will prove useful and you would want to pick them up into production at larger scale, you can always let me know."
It wasn't an issue with HK, he was planning on making them at smaller scales first anyway, it's not like Abregado had huge complexes of facilities. But hey, if Protectorate will like what he'll make then maybe there would be some grants coming his way for industrial upgrades.

HK slightly canted his head at Ayden's question of building shipyards up in Abregado-Rae. Would he want that? Hell yes, but it's not something he would be able to do right now, he wanted to make a stable foundation on the planet first.
"While I did draft plans for such facilities to be built in Abregado's orbit, it is not something we should begin making just yet, first I want to develop industry on the planet's surface under creation of this new manufacturing company, then I would wish to launch a space station to expand inter-stellar trading in the system and provide defensive base, as well as built orbital defensive network on the planet's surface that could bring us closer to the standards of Protectorate's Fortress Worlds. Once all of that is done I would feel that Abregado is ready for a shipyard to be built."
HK nodded, folding his hands behind his back,
"If we jump into too deep of water without a raft, we might drown."

He canted his head slightly, looking at the plans,
"As for the shipyards in Fondor I could always wait and work on small projects first, or manufacture all the parts on Abregado's surface, I just need proper facility to put them all together."

[member="HK-36"]

Ayden nodded in understand while studying the infrastructure aspects of HK's proposal a bit more. "If your aim is infrastructure, it would not be hard to convince the Councilors to help Abredgado and subsidize a number of projects for you. We are stretched to capacity on military shipyards, as I stated before. I could put forward a construction plan that included a number of frigate and cruiser construction yards, as well as the necessary monitoring stations." He spun the pad between his hands in thought and spoke with an almost absentminded tone. "Of course, we'd probably need to construct a number of civilian habitat stations. And a few trade stations to store construction materials and other necessary goods while all this is going on."

"It would cost us a fair bit now, but our economic plan has always been about long-term growth. Pay for the costs now, when we can afford to freely take them on and reap the rewards later on, instead of slashing other programs to rush construction because we need it right now and didn't bother to worry about that." He turned back to the droid and considered for a moment. "There's not anything I should be aware of, is there HK? You've governed Abregado-Rae for many months now. You've run a clean rule. Crime has been going down, revenue is up. You've gone for so long without asking for anything, I had thought you had everything in hand. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but it seems like if your goal had been to promote industrial growth, you'd have started it on your own already." He was asking some tough questions, but it seemed necessary. Droids were known and prized for their efficiency. Plus, it was his job as Lord Protector to promote growth, but also make sure that everything was truly running smoothly behind the curtains.

HK-36

[member="Ayden Cater"]

HK nodded at Ayden's words, they were reasonable enough, and acceptable,
"Let it be so then."
The droid confirmed, he slightly tilted his head at the last question, question about the droid's motives,
"I too think in long-term goals, Lord Protector, and I realize that, even though I am old, I will not be around forever, you will not live forever, perhaps even the Protectorate will not live forever."
He answered,
"When Lady Protector Cira died we entered into state of chaos, the gap she has left behind has not filled quickly, and still the wound has not healed. Even for me accepting that she was gone did not come quickly. Have you ever thought about what would happen if the same happened to, to me, to the Protectorate as a whole? Who would take over and would they do their job properly, whether the planets would handle it and stayed unified, whether they would manage."
The droid folded his arms at his waist,
"I want my planet to be able to defend itself, to be able to sustain itself, with or without me. With the plans Lady Protector approved I have started defensive projects and expanded Abregado's agriculture. With this new company I will be able to finish the defensive projects and built industry of commercial products they can put onto the market to sustain themselves should I or the Protectorate be gone. I want Abregado to achieve greatness."
HK nodded,
"I have never asked nor commissioned any statues or monuments to be built for me on the planet's surface, because it is the planet, and the love and diversity of its inhabitants that will be my monument."

[member="HK-36"]

Ayden nodded sympathetically, though was admittedly surprised by that answer. Had HK been human, it would have made sense. Organics had a finite life span, and were remarkably prone for random, sudden cases of death. Droids had this issue less so. With proper maintenance, they could operate indefinitely. Their programming could be backed up and restored readily into a new body. For a droid to express concern over its potential termination, and the ramifications with such an event, shocked Ayden, though he didn't let it show. There was more to HK-36 than he thought.

"That's certainly an admirable cause. I myself have often wondered what would happen if something were to happen to me." Ayden said, even as he knew the answer. He was actually fairly well prepared for a sudden case of death, but that wasn't going to be something he publicized for everyone to see. "While I'm certainly amicable to helping further develop Abregado-Rae, I will need to be able to point to some tangible benefit to all this to the other Councilors. After all, they'll ask why Abregado-Rae gets all this money and effort and not some other planet."

HK-36

[member="Ayden Cater"]
The droid nodded, a logical concern,
"Well equipped veteran troops, profits to keep our economy strong, new weaponry and armor to keep our enemies on their toes."
He would straighten out his armor idly,
"Protectorate is made up of strong planet, strong Abregado means another planet to help Protectorate in dire times."
The droid slightly tilted his head,
"But there is something else I need to inquiry about- what is my current rank in the Protectorate? My position as Colonel has been removed, I do not have grief over that, it was logical, but I have not been given a new position, I would prefer something in our diplomatic and political division."
HK would pause doing a quick calculation,
"There is still a position open for an Exarch if I am not mistaken?"

[member="HK-36"]

Ayden looked the droid over with an amused expression. "Perhaps your databanks are faulty. According to my files, you remain a Colonel. Though you've been exceptionally busy these last few months, I've seen no behavior on your part that would warrant such a stripping of rank." He chuckled at the thought of a droid being rowdy before getting serious once more.

"As far as transferring to a more political position, that can certainly be arranged. It is bold to suggest one's self for Exarch, but you have done good work on Abregado-Rae. I'll need to have some time to consider it further. An Exarch's duties are to more than just a single world. They're assigned a whole region of Protectorate space to manage and care for. It is not an easy task." He paused and chuckled once again. "But then again you knew that."

HK-36

[member="Ayden Cater"]
HK slightly tilted his head,
"My assumption was based on that previously we had only single Colonels, as far as I knew, Colonel Kerrigan, and me, since I have disappeared to roam the Unknown Regions, Colonel Corek has taken the title, therefore, I thought I was removed."
He nodded and at the second part, he would nod again,
"I will be efficient, kind, but stern, as Exarch as I was as Observer, besides, do you have that many other candidates, Lord Protector?"
He would slightly tilt his head at that

"There are two more things, I wish to brought up while I am still here. I have met with the Command of Liberty Concord, the ex-Dreadguard Clones who have quit the Confederacy. I have set up a trading deal with them, they buy their supplies from me, but we also drafted up a petition I wished for you to look at, it is one the datapad."
He would nod, once Ayden would open up the document he could see list of signatures, with Calico and HK on top, then other Concord members as well as Iron Company and Abregado-Rae, it was both officers and commanders as well as soldiers and common folk.
"We wish to, as private citizens of the Galaxy, petition Republic and Mandalorians, the Protectorate and Fringe, and Moross and Horde, to at least consider opening up non-violent negotiations and give peace a chance. Many of us are tired of wars, I was wondering if you would be willing to sign it."
HK nodded,
"But do not be mistaken, I have pledged my allegiance to the Protectorate, should war come, I will answer to protect our people, I will fight."

He watched the Lord Protector,
"Second point,"
He continued,
"Is that I want to form a unit based on Hoth, a small one, one which I can equip and fund myself, I called it the Ropo Guard project, a formation of droid units and organics alike posted on Hoth to keep local wildlife population in check, especially the sought-after Ropo population. They would be rangers and Hoth their park. I believe it will also harden them in the hostile environment, and create a taskforce for quick responses in our Southern-Galactic borders."

Ayden arched his eyebrow. Something had to have been wrong with HK's processor if he thought the Protectorate only had a single Colonel. Maybe back when they had still been a private military corporation, but there were now thousands and thousands of Colonels. Corek was only one of many with the rank, as Kerrigan and HK had been before. How could there be only one Colonel in a state that spanned thousands of light years?

When the droid seemed to indicate that it believed he had no other candidates for Exarch, Ayden's demeanor cooled a bit. "As a matter of fact, I'm meeting with two or three candidates every day. The six Exarchs we have, Lady Knight included, are overworked as it is, but I'm not going to appoint another two Exarchs without making sure that they can fulfill their obligations to the Protectorate." It was quite clear that Ayden felt that the droid governor had stepped over a line with his comment, but remained willing to continue the meeting so long as no further infractions like that happened.

"I'll take a look at it." Ayden wasn't particularly fond of the idea that potential foreign powers were being traded with without his discretion, particularly when such powers could end up attracting the ire of a bigger power. When the proposal for a unit on Hoth came, Ayden gave a small nod. Had Ropos not become such a beloved creature, he probably would have balked at the idea of such measures being put in place on a planet like Hoth. However, it would be good propoganda, a nice place to put troublesome recruits, and would help train an effective fighting force against a ceaseless, brutal enemy in preparation for other possible dangers. "Very well. I'll start the process to locate a base on Hoth." He paused and looked carefully at the droid. "Anything else, [member="HK-36"]?"

HK-36

[member="Ayden Cater"]
The droid nodded slightly at the information,
"I see."
It seemed that the droid was still running on the Old Pyre settings when there was just Colonel Kerrigan and she was in charge of the whole Pyre, and the Exarchs were only three. But that was past, now is now.
He would slightly tilt his head as he calculated,
"There was proposal to change the name 'Fondor' to 'Fundoor' in order to attract tourism, but I believe that is just silly. There is also some equipment Iron Company does not usually use that I would want to request,"
HK would open his memory file to check the list he made before,
"Omega SAM turrets, RT-85 Landspeeders, Urban Recon Walkers, company of HBD-300 MK 3's and 4's, specifically the units that served under my command during the Siege of Eriadu, if that is possible, they are good warriors. Besides that, I wish to request few corvettes to be assigned as escort under my command for the Siege Tower, minimum one Protectorate Blockade Runner and one Myriad-class Corvette, maximum two Blockade Runners, two Myriads. I believe with this equipment we will be able to face a larger variety of challenges, remain versatile in combat."
He would nod at that as he finished listing it all,
"And that would be the last thing I have planned to request today."
HK folded his hands behind his back, watching Ayden for his reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom