Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Booze, Cloak, and Dagger

Aithche had long resigned herself to the fact that her chosen profession meant frequenting dives and holes of all types. The current bar she was heading for was probably on a local law enforcement watchlist, mostly a warning to anyone to stay away unless you were coming in with a full platoon. She would also hazard a guess that it served some purpose for local officials not wanting to get their hands dirty. Shutting it down would have achieved nothing, just shifted the business a few blocks west or east.

Her nose wrinkled as she crossed the threshold and started descending the steps. She mentally added CBRN to the list of threats she probably faced there. The mingled scents and smells of two score alien species and unwashed humans was like a slap to the face. Aithche had smelt worse in places like Sump where the toxic marshes could corrode the lungs of any trooper unlucky to breathe in the gases. Ice Bears on Kragmeer (she'd always objected to such a monstrosity getting the innocent description of 'bear') and their lairs had been almost as bad.

A few years ago it would have been easier. The First Order's intelligence operatives tended to speak softly but carry a big stick. A platoon of stormtroopers on readiness alert or an Imperial cruiser in low orbit tended to be a pretty big stick. Those were the good old days. Now she was burning bridges she couldn't afford to, staying two skips ahead of creditors, and running out of aliases and covers to use.

Crossing paths with Aver Brand had not been on her agenda. It was still too early to know whether it was a lifeline or garotte. In the short-term it meant she actually had credits to spend, not just overdrafts on accounts about to be shut. It meant fuel for a freighter, it meant a chance at a second life that wasn't going to end being strangled or shot in a back alley when the wolves finally tracked her down.

The worst thing about starting again from scratch was finding the right people. Aithche had always been told the key to success in business was being a good middleman. It was bloody difficult when one had a price on one's head. Arranging meets was always stressful, it got worse when you didn't trust the fixer and weren't happy with the location. Even the vibroknife in her boot, the mesh armour under her clothing, and the blaster at her hip didn't make her feel relaxed.

She chose a seat with its back to the wall, trying to avoid the smell of the Quarrens at the next table. She tugged at her pink neckwarmer, hoping her contact would spot the marker and make themselves known.

Unlike Aithche, Zole looked like she belonged in the bar. She wore a blaster on her hip with ease and no one batted an eyelid. Her jacket had seen better days and she had a strong of empty shot glasses on the bar in front of her.

She was chatting amicably with a quarren at the bar when her contact walked in and took a booth.

"Right, I gotta go talk to someone," she said to the quarren, who have a nonchalant wave and stepped away from the bar with his tankard of beer.

Zole picked up two full shot glasses of clear liquid and headed straight for the table. She sat down, putting her back to the door. Zole had more than just eyes to warn her of danger.

"That neck scarf looks fething stupid. Here, drink."

Zole slid a shot glass across the table. She hoped that this wasn't a trap. There was something she didn't like about this person. Zole had committed crimes across a number of systems, but never quite enough to warrant a full man hunt.

Aithche Wierz Aithche Wierz

"It's a fashion statement, not for philistines" Aithche shot back on autopilot, she hadn't even seen who'd spoken yet. Her eyes widened as she took in the other....well....woman...was the word she supposed she should use. There seemed to be more chrome than flesh on display.

Cybernetics.

Aithche bit back the initial feeling of revulsion, she had a few alterations made herself but she could never fully stop that horrified fascination when seeing someone who swapped out flesh for metal. They seemed to move differently, think differently, if she were a spiritual woman she'd have worried about what it did to their very essence.

She lifted the glass and gave it a suspicious look before an experimental sniff. The reek was enough to nearly make her gag. "Stars" she blasphemed, "What is that bloody thing?" She didn't wait for an answer but knocked half it back, eyes watering from the impact.

Blinking away the tears, she regarded the other woman warily. "You're not what I expected" she admitted after a few moments of silence.

"Phillistine?"

Zole snorted out and then necked the shot.

"Likewise," Zole replied. "What, are you the work experience girl or something?"

She almost certainly wasn't, but it made Zole think this might be some side plot in a large organisation's operations. An organisation large enough that sometimes they had to ship people out to site.

She didn't strike Zole as being part of a local criminal ring.

"And I don't seem like the type to do the job?"

Aithche blinked.

She had gone about five years past the age where being called a girl would annoy her but the comment was enough to make her teeth grit. "Right, now we've dispensed with the opening round of insults I suppose we could move onto the next stage of this, that is unless you have any other choice comments to make?"

She wagged a finger at her "Oh no, far from it. Lets just say that certain of your modifications are illegal in some systems. Are you aware you'd not even be classed as sapient on some more backward worlds? The sort that don't welcome droids would find you quite the sight too no doubt. Oh no darling, I think you'll do the job alright if we're just going off of appearances"

"Ah as long as you keep talking I'll find something else to pick on," Zole said with a shrug.

"Some of my modifications are illegal in many systems," Zole added with a touch of pride. She had an addictive personality. Drugs had, at some point, mostly been replaced by a desire to keep on remodifying her own body.

"Let's put appearances aside then. When can we discuss the job and find out if I can really get it done."

What she meant was: let me find out if I can get paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom