Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Bootlegger Boogaloo

--Koros Sector, Empress Teta System, Cinnagar
________________________________​

Arkyn inhaled deeply from the burning jari leaf before she engaged the gyroscopic actuators and touched down on the landing pad. Her ship, the Dragonshake, shuddered from the impact. Go time. "Got those papers, R5?"
The droid, a meter-tall rust bucket of scorch marks and mismatched plating whirred sullenly.
"Ease up, R5, I'm just being careful, ya' know? Covering my bases." She took another drag from the rolled jari before stubbing it out on the main console, adding another circular scorch mark to the tapestry of dozens.
R5 erupted in rapid fire beeps and clicks, head spinning angrily as he rolled out of the cockpit.
"Hey! Don't take that tone with me buster! I put you together you little shavit and I'll take you apart if I have to!"
The little droid ignored the empty threat as it wheeled the corridors down to the cargo hold. Arkyn followed behind, picking up her side-arm and her vibro knife on the way. She wasn't nervous, per say; her papers were actually legit, and she'd managed to counter the extra weight of the heavy crates of blasters and power cells by offloading a few vats of Mooften and Nikta at the start of the Koros Trunk Line, but Cinnagar was controlled by the Maw, and she'd never dared cross them before. The Hutts were one thing, but the Maw were a different sort entirely: pure evil, she'd heard whispered, driven by darker emotions than simple greed.
If they found out she was smuggling weapons to a resistance on their own planet, they'd likely do worse than kill her.
So she checked and double checked her holsters and straps, read and re-read the ship manifest just in case there were any discrepancies, and then joined her droid at the base of the landing ramp as it opened out onto the landing pad proper. The sounds of the city washed over her; she'd chosen a spot a bit further from the hustle and bustle of the concourse, secluded from the main fairways but busy enough for her plain looking YT-2000 go relatively unnoticed. Cinnagar was a busy place, the city spanning the entirety of the planet, and light freighters like hers were exceedingly common.
There was meant to be someone from the resistance waiting nearby- she hadn't specified where she would land, just in case, but they hadn't given a good description of their man for what she guessed were similar reasons. Unfortunately, there was nothing to do but wait, but she couldn't exactly afford to wait very long...
"R5, send a coded message to our client. Tell them their goods have arrived."
The droid trilled shrilly, rotating its head to pin Arkyn with its blinking monochromatic gaze.
"Oh fine. Send a coded message, please."

@Sorr Court

Last edited:

Sorr Kortu

Socially Awkward Smuggler
"Empress Teta......"

Sorr remembered the city-planet with fondness, it was a cleaner Coruscant full of life. His Aunt and Uncle lived here as business consultants and every time Sorr would visit, his Aunt would pepper him with kisses and a gifts. The young man smiled, his Aunt Jayce was one of the people besides his mother and brother who loved him. Yet, when the Brotherhood attacked she and Uncle Dav were among the many people killed during the Invasion. The Jedi and the Alliance put up a spirted defense..... but it wasn't enough and they suffered tremendous casualties.

The young man wasn't there to avenge their deaths though as much as he wanted and as aware as he was on how suicidal it could be. He was here to help fund another militia uprising against the Brotherhood. The Alliance was busy recovering Tython and couldn't help in taking Empress Teta back. So people like Sorr was going to help in other ways like Smuggling in weapons for rebel cells. Sorr walked down the ramp of Tiaza's Purr disguised as just a neutral visitor. He walked along the Spaceport waiting for customs to come in and scan his belongings. "Just gotta keep it cool," Sorr said walking. "I got the forged paperworks ready."

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

The jari leaf was working its magic. A pleasant haze had settled over Arkyn's mind, dulling her anxieties. She was nervous about this job; she couldn't lie to himself any more. There was something in the air, almost like a sound- the hint of a whisper, elusive and fleeting, except that she couldn't hear it with her ears, but with her mind.
You've been found out, her instincts whispered. Run.
R5 chirped in suprise then began to beep frantically, relaying the message he'd just received.
"Automate the offload." She tucked the ships manifest into her coat, a worn black gaberwool greatcoat with bantha-hide patches over the elbows.
R5 whirred in anger, clicking in agitation.
"Yes, I heard you. I'm looking for a fella' with an orange helmet and webbed feet. Duly noted. Now automate the karking offload! And keep the labor droids in line, eh? Their programming is still wonky." She'd bought a few low-rate ASP models for situations like this, but their processors were so cheap her adjustments to their code caused wildly erratic behavior when they were left unattended.
She joined the flow of foot traffic even as she noticed a black clad security team come 'round a corner further down the fairway, where the spaceport opened up into the various sectors of the city. "And keep your comms on!" she called back to R5, eyes still on the security team. They were moving faster now, the helmeted heads bobbing angrily above the crowd.
And they were chasing a toydarian in tan armor with an orange helmet.
Webbed feet... "Sithspit," she cursed.
"Hey-"
Someone touched her shoulder, and before she realized she had her blaster drawn and shoved halfway up some quivering Sullustan's jowl flaps.
"-Woah, easy, easy, easy! Y-you-you're Rane, right? Arkyn Rane? I'm with the People For the Freedom of Cinnagar, I'm-"
"I was told to be on the lookout for someone in an orange helmet with webbed feet. That ain't you, clearly."
"Th-th-th-that's Rollo, he's the diversion! I swear! By the seven Genetian moons, please don't shoot me!"
The black helmets were getting closer. Arkyn was already regretting taking this job.
"Some diversion. He's leading them right towards us."
Her instincts told her the Sullustan wasn't lying. She holstered her blaster with a quick movement and adjusted her coat before hauling the Sullustan off the main course to an alley between a junk shop and neon clothing boutique.
"What the feth is going on?!" she demanded.
"We've got three shipments all coming in at the same time. Teams are staged to make the offloads look like robberies, just in case any of your ships were flagged. There's PFC members all over the place; when the captain gives the signal, the team leaders are going to make a bigger diversion."
Arkyn bowed her head pinched her nose. "You've got to be kriffing with me," she mumbled. "You people are loca! Why couldn't this have been a nice quiet operation?"
The Sullustan shrugged. "Quiet doesn't work. The security forces always snuff us out. The leaders decided to use chaos instead."
Arkyn sighed, long and deep. "Just pay me. Now. And what's you're name, anyway?"
"Nnerb Pavloss. And... I only have half your payment."

Last edited:

Sorr Kortu

Sorr was rather eager to get these weapons delivered, the longer he remained among the Brotherhood the more likely he would be caught and tortured. Maybe it was paranoia talking but as a Smuggler if you're not being paranoid then you're not doing your job properly. The young man was waiting for customs to scan his stuff, he was informed that they would be on his way as soon as he landed. What was the hold up? Just then, Sorr heard some commotion to the right. His heart started to beat faster, great not even five minutes on the Empress Teta and there's already conflict. These Brotherhood types are addicted to fighting, are they? At least the Empire has the facade of professionalism, the Brotherhood are just straight up thugs.

Though Sorr didn't want to interfere, curiosity started to grow maybe if he could observe how the Brotherhood does business he can quickly adapt to their methods. It was a long shot, but it beats standing around waiting for a scanning crew. Sorr crept closer to the conversation, hiding behind some crates as soon as the voices got louder. Peering from the corner, he saw black cladded security crew harassing other pilots and a young woman conversing with somebody. "Who are they?" Sorr mumbled listening in.

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

Arkyn fought the urge to scream. "Hand it over," she bit out through clenched teeth, fingers itching to curl around her blaster.
Nnerb forked over the creds- half of her fee exactly, in a mix of galactic denominations.
That was smart of them, she thought. Some of the Imperial notes wouldn't be worth sithspit on a place like Nar Shadaa, but there were a few Hutt creds in the mix, and Alliance and Mando notes as well.
"Now why is it that you only have half my money?" She tilted her head, a dangerous gleam in her silver eyes. "I gotta meet someone, agree to do a whole 'nother job to get it?"
Nnerb nodded frantically. "Yes, that's it, exactly!"
Arkyn scoffed and shook her pockets. "Then this ain't half. It's a fourth." The nervous sullustan opened his mouth to protest but she silenced him with a hard look. "A fourth," she reiterated. She slipped the credits into several different pockets in her coat, taking the time to glance up and down the alley.
She saw a pair of emaciated figures in shoddy clothing - addicts of some sort she guessed, from their twitching, unfocused eyes. She saw a stray tooka perched on a jutting windowsill half a story up, just above a stack of crates-
!
She had her blaster aimed and primed to fire in the blink of an eye. "Oi, whoever you are hiding behind those crates, come out now or get a face full of particle beam!" She gestured to Nnerb. "Make yourself useful, yeah? Go see who our curious friend is."

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

Sorr's heart stopped the moment the young woman told him to step out from behind the crates. "W-wait?!" Sorr yelled. "How did you know I was hiding there?!"

The young man paused realizing how stupid he was to reveal his location. "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" Sorr thought as he slowly came from his hiding place. "Listen! I-I don't want any trouble here! I'm just here to make a delivery and just be on my way!"

Like they will buy it.

"Come on guys!" Sorr said his hands still rasied. "We're in Maw territory! I don't think the Sith will take too kindly to us blasting each other!"

The young man had to come up with something quick before this became a catastrophe. "So let's start with introductions! My name is Sorr: Captain of the Tiaza's Purr! Fastest ship in the Galaxy! And who are you good people?"

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

"W-wait?!" yelled a voice. "How did you know I was hiding there?!"
Arkyn rolled her eyes but didn't lower her blaster. A kid came shuffling from behind the crates, hands held high in a universal sign of surrender. He was about her height, maybe an inch or two taller, and judging by the look in his eyes, a bit out of his depth.
"Listen," the kid said, almost frantic, "-I don't want any trouble here! I'm just here to make a delivery and just be on my way!"
Arkyn tilted her head and gave him a look.
"Come on guys! We're in Maw territory! I don't think the Sith will take too kindly to us blasting each other!"
"I don't much care who cares for what when I start blasting people," Arkyn muttered.
The young man seemed to scramble for something to say. "So let's start with introductions! My name is Sorr: Captain of the Tiaza's Purr! Fastest ship in the Galaxy! And who are you good people?"
"Fastest ship in the galaxy, eh? If I had a credit for everytime I heard that…" His introduction alone made Arkyn want to shoot him, but she noticed Nnerb blink in recognition of the kid's name.
"Did you say Sorr?" the Sullustan asked. "As in Sorr Kortu?" His body sagged with relief as he looked to Arkyn. "This is another one of the smugglers we contracted."
"Mmhmm. And lemme guess, you don't have all his money either?"
"Uhh…well, actually, his contact was meant to pay him in full so he could leave post haste… we hoped that planetary defense forces would be pulled away in pursuit of the many smugglers we hired, allowing you to complete your mission with better chances of success."
Arkyn frowned at that, holstering her blaster. "It's not a mission, Flabby. It's a job; one that I expect to be WELL compensated for. And why was I chosen for this dubious honor?"
Nnerb shrugged helplessly. "I wasn't told," he admitted. "When the leaders vetted you, they made the decision immediately."
Her frowned deepened. "Just my luck for deciding to help a noble cause.” She eyed Sorr, taking in the blaster hanging from his hip and his youthful appearance. Probably never been fired, she thought. "The names Rane, kid. Arkyn Rane. The four-time champion of the Malastarian Grand Prix."
The sounds of commotion grew closer, and when Arkyn chanced another glance around the corner, she saw whole swaths of people unholstering shoddy blasters to take aim at the security forces. No wonder they need weapons. Those things are poodoo.
"Kriffing hell, how's about we get off the streets, yeah? Take me to somebody with credits."
Nnerb seemed very relieved by the proposition. "Right this way then, folks." He led them further down the alley, even as the sounds of blaster fire erupted behind them.
I hope R5 is okay, Arkyn thought. "You coming, kid? Or are you staying back to get shot- or worse, arrested?"

Sorr Kortu

"Wait what?" Sorr brow began to become wet with sweat. These were the people who Sorr was supposed to meet? The people who were supposed to take the smuggled weapons to the rebels on Empress Teta? Why in Force's name are they talking so loudly in a Brotherhood hangar bay?! Don't these experienced Smugglers know the price of getting caught by these cultists?!

"Shhhh!" Sorr said still holding his hands up. "Not so loud! The Brotherhood could hear us!"

His heart thumping, Sorr's mind filled with panic and needed to find something anything to make this awkward encounter less...... confrontational. "Hi there old buddy: Paul!" Sorr said his eyes darting around for any Brotherhood stragglers. "I definitely like that Smuggler Shake at McYodas! It is an awesome addition to the menu!"

He turned to the woman who introduced herself as Arkyn and that she was a big time Swoop Racer. "I've heard of you," Sorr said. "I've visited Malastare to watch the races a couple years ago. You were something of a folk hero amongst fans on the planet."

Sorr loved Swoop Racing having always wanted to go pro. But of course, his Dad being the controlling person that he is, forbade Sorr trying to steer him into more academic pursuits. Just then, more enemies came from the hangar ready to fire at Sorr and the others. "Aw man!" Sorr moaned. He really hated to fight but of course life has a morbid sense of humor.

"I'm coming with you!" Sorr said ducking his head as soon as the fight started. "Just please gimmie my Blaster!"

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

Arkyn was almost struck speechless. "Kid, are you nuts? You're the only one that's talking loud! And just who is going to hear us over the hustle and bustle of a spaceport, huh? There's a literal shootout happening behind us." Arkyn scoffed. Talk about paranoid. They were in a spaceport in a dingy alley between a scrap shop and a clothing boutique- a Bothan boutique, by the smell; what horrors had the kid witnessed, she wondered, to be so skittish in an open city? "I bet you flinch at loud noises too, eh?"

She wasn't all brash talk. Yeah, the kid had managed- poorly- to sneak up on her, but he hadn't pinged her danger instincts either. Cultivated on the lawless streets of Nar Shadaa's vast slums, her instincts had yet to lead her wrong. The unease she'd felt earlier had dulled somewhat- it was less a klaxon ringing in her head and more a gentle whisper. A warning, she thought, to not let her guard down and remain aware.

She eyed the two addicts still huddled together further down the alley. She knew their type, drug-addled and downtrodden, living only for the next high. She'd lived among their kind for years on Nar Shadaa, even sold spice for a spell, before she started working directly for Vorga. Her experience told her that homeless vagrants made the best informers because people didn't pay attention to them; her instincts told her that while she wasn't safe, she wasn't immediate danger. Still, she kept an eye on them, just in case.

Sorr started spewing nonsense, something about McYoda's, and Arkyn began to doubt the wisdom of letting the younger smuggler tag along. He was either out of his mind or out of his depth. Probably both, the spacer thought uncharitably.

"What do you mean give you your blaster?" She looked pointedly at his hip where it was still hanging. "I never took it kid, I only looked at it. Word of advice, from one spacer to another; leave the spice alone. It's corroding your mental circuits."

Nnerb, chattering inanely about the shops they passed and the new stringent rules enforced on the populace by the Brotherhood, led them through a warren of neon-lit alleys and wide streets to a small warehouse that specialized in ray shields and their components. The sign over the heavy durasteel doors read "Raab's Ray Shield Consortium".

Beneath the cramped building was a winding access tunnel that opened up to the storeroom of another warehouse on a lower level of Cinnagar that reminded Arkyn of Nar Shaddaa. The air stank of chemical waste and hopeless poverty and she didn't see a single officer of the law. They traversed two other such tunnels, each more narrow than the one before, finally arriving in the drab storeroom of a nondescript cantina.

Nnerb entered a complex code into a door hidden behind a stack of kegs and welcomed them, jowls flapping as he spoke, to the home of the insurgency.

“Captain Lorn?” the Sullustan called out. “It’s Nnerb sir, here to report.”

Arkyn looked around the vaulted room, taking in the scattered tables and chairs, the rag-tag throngs of beings standing around them, the piecemeal command post centered beneath a flickering chrome light, it’s harsh glare casting long shadows, and there, staring solemnly at a holoscreen showing what appeared to be a map of the upper levels of Cinnagar, the man Arkyn assumed was in charge.

He was tall and broad shouldered, with scruffy, silver streaked hair, clad in a worn spacers jacket and Corellian bloodstripes.

Arkyn was utterly unimpressed.
“This is the home of your resistance? Looks like a shavit hole to me.”

The man turned around at that, a frown wrinkling his brow. “Nnerb?” His frown deepened when he saw Arkyn and Sorr. “Who are our guests?” His voice took on a vaguely threatening timbre, and around the room, people started fingering their blasters.

“I’m Rane,” Arkyn began before Nnerb could speak, “and this is Sorr. We’re here for our creds.” She put a hand on Sorr’s shoulder and pushed him forward. “Tell em’, kid.”

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Last edited:

Sorr Kortu

"I-I have my-"

Sorr looked down seeing that he had his Blaster Pistol in his holster all this time. Then why in the Force did he think that Arkyn took his weapon away from him? "Oh gee whiz!" Sorr whined trying to avoid the firefight behind them. "I need to stop panicking!"

Or maybe he did inhale Spice, back at Lianna there was a lot of Spice addicts inside of the base. Brinna Dara Brinna Dara said she would be dealing with them personally. Sorr continued to follow the woman his hand wrapped around the holster of his Blaster, they were deep into enemy territory now deeper than he wanted it to be. He could hear the alarms ringing from the spaceport, Brotherhood ships zipping above them to quell the conflict.

They went through neon alleyways, Sorr gagging at the stench of the chemical wastes that was likely left over from the battle. "Poor, beautiful Empress Teta....." The fear in Sorr quickly transformed into anger. "This was once a great planet...... these monsters destroyed it all killed my a couple of my family members."

The young man clenched his fists, fingers digging deep into his palms but he kept on moving. "And they're treating the planet as if it's some junkyard."

The group entered what appeared to be the resistance base. Sorr's heart started to thump, this was not part of the plan and it was even worse when Arkyn pushed him to the forefront. "Y-yeah I'm the guy whose delivering your weapons and so is she."

He didn't know what was going on, all he wanted to do was to drop weapons anonymously and leave. That was what was supposed to happen, but things unraveled the moment he landed! "There's a problem though, the weapons are on my ship inside the spaceport which is the site of a small skirmish. The Brotherhood are trying to contain the situation and I'm guessing it's under lockdown at the moment."

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

"Y-yeah,” Sorr said. “I'm the guy delivering your weapons and so is she.”

Arkyn fixed him with a glare, though he couldn't see it. Did that little shavit just call me a guy?!

“There's a problem though,” he went on. “The weapons are on my ship inside the spaceport which is the site of a small skirmish. The Brotherhood are trying to contain the situation and I'm guessing it's under lockdown at the moment."

Captain Lorn nodded. “I’m well aware, kid. So far, everything’s going to plan.”

“Not quite,” Arkyn cut in, earning disapproving glares from half the room. “I planned to get paid. So far I haven’t. The kid ain’t been paid either- his contact never showed up.”

The captain scowled at Nnerb.

“I paid her sir! Half the fee, as instructed.”

“One fourth!” Arkyn exclaimed. “You’re changing the deal, I’m changing the fee.” She shrugged. “I’m a business, not a charity.”

Captain Lorn eyed Arkyn as if he’d like nothing more than to punch her in the face. “I’ll have your report now, Nnerb. As for you, Miss Rane… sit tight. And… Sorr, was it?” His expression mellowed, voice softening. “I’ll send Nnerb to collect your fee after his report. You have my word.”

The captain was true to his word. When Nnerb was done giving his report, the Sullustan scurried off and returned in minutes with a camtono of credits tucked under each arm. He gave one to Sorr, and the other to Arkyn.

The spacer tilted her head, eyeing the cylindrical box critically. "This is almost enough."

Captain Lorn rolled his eyes from his chair at the command center, his face illuminated by a glowing holoscreen. "Just how greedy are you, woman?!"

Arkyn hadn't even the decency to blush. She shrugged. "I spent my informative years under the tender care of a Huttese crime boss. What do you think?"

"Horrifically greedy, understood. That's half your fee- the rest will be paid to you when you reach our base on Atale."

The moon? "And what am I supposed to be doing on Atale?"

The captain gestured to an aide meandering off to the side- the Bothan disappeared into a side room and returned with another camtono, but this one was full of holodiscs. "You're going to be transporting that," he said, gesturing towards the container. "Each holodisc contains sensitive information vital to our efforts. The Maw have blocked communications on the planet and made it all but impossible for our ships to get off world. Therefore, we need an outsider. One with a fast ship and a criminal reputation."

Ah, that was it. She had been wondering why they chose her, out of all the smugglers available, to participate in their little "mission". Chances were, if she was flagged for something, it wouldn't be for colluding with resistance fighters- not with her past. She was probably still listed in most criminal databanks as an associate of Vorga, for all that she'd split from him ages ago. Greater chances, she thought, that she was another diversion- an expensive one- and the holodiscs were blank. Something foul was amiss, she just didn't know what. A person less addicted to thrills and excitement might have turned down the offer and walked away with a considerable sum of creds.

Arkyn just shrugged again. "Fine."

The captain was taken aback. "Fine? That's it?"

"Yep. I had a lotta questions- so many questions... but I don't care anymore. Nnerb? Lead the way, pal. I'm gonna comm R5 and see how the ship's doing. See ya, Sorr." She gave a jaunty wave as she prepared to leave.

I'm never doing anything like this ever again.

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

Sorr blinked when Nnerb gave him his pay, well that worked out quite well now did it? But there was one tiny problem Sorr had. There was no way he was getting back to the Tiaza's Purr due to the lockdown.

"W-wait a minute!" Sorr placed his credits in his pocket nearly tripping to keep up with Arkyn and the other resistance members. "H-how am I supposed to get back! Like I said the spaceport is under lockdown most likely, the Brotherhood are probably converging on the spaceport. So how are you going to get the cargo from my ship? And more importantly: What am I supposed to do while you guys plan your attack?"

This was all getting a bit too much, Sorr was almost certain Brinna Dara Brinna Dara would be happy to get some action but Sorr..... he just wanted to get out of here. The more he was on Empress Teta, the sadder he became. Too much memories flooding all at once. His heart began to beat a little faster this time. Sorr needed to do something more than what he just did. He needed to avenge his Aunt, his Uncle..... Everyone who died on Empress Teta.

"I think I know." Sorr said taking a deep breath. "Let me help you guys. I know the planet very well and maybe if we can get communications back online, I can try to contact some nobles to assist. I know their unique codes that the Brotherhood can't access. At the very least if it's a smuggling job let me help Arkyn, two Smugglers are better than one after all."

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

"W-wait a minute!" Sorr called out.

Arkyn turned and gave him the stink-eye, one sculpted brow arched in prim annoyance. What was the kid on about now?

"H-how am I supposed to get back?! Like I said the spaceport is under lockdown most likely, the Brotherhood are probably converging on the spaceport. So how are you going to get the cargo from my ship? And more importantly: What am I supposed to do while you guys plan your attack?"

Damn, the kid doesn't have labor droids? She figured R5 had gotten weapons mostly unloaded now, and with the insurgents creating so much chaos, starting shoot outs in the middle of a busy concourse, she doubted that anyone had bothered her ship. Yet. But if she wasn’t gone by the time all the excitement died down…

Captain Lorn seemed about to speak, but Sorr wasn't finished.

"I think I know," the kid continued. "Let me help you guys. I know the planet very well and maybe if we can get communications back online, I can try to contact some nobles to assist. I know their unique codes that the Brotherhood can't access. At the very least if it's a smuggling job let me help Arkyn, two Smugglers are better than one after all."

Oh frack no. No kriffin' way. "No offense kid, but I'd rather go it alone. You've got a point though." She turned to the captain and fixed him with a hard stare, mulling over the situation. Nnerb had mentioned they'd resorted to more chaotic tactics after their people kept getting captured,so she figured they'd probably just cause a diversion- doubtlessly something big and loud- but the Devaronian was in the details. She really just wanted to be done with it all, and was fully prepared to wing it, but maybe she had a few questions after all. "The port's definitely on lockdown, by now. Shoot-outs with 'port security tends do that. You got some sort of fancy, over-the-top cooking up? Something to pull the attention away?"

Captain Lorn sighed. "I have a plan, but it's 'need to know'. I'm playing this one close to the chest- the Brotherhood's been catching on to our plots far too quickly for it to just be happenstance. Besides, I already told you, everything's going according to plan. There's been a few hiccups here and there, but your ships will be ready exactly when they need to be. I just need you to sit tight, Sorr. Or go with Miss Rane here."

Arkyn was about to say no. The kid clearly had a good heart, but she just found him annoying. Sure, he amused her, but she certainly didn't want him to stick around. People couldn't be trusted, and she had enough problems with R5- he wanted her to build him legs and arms.

But her gut told her otherwise. Her gut told her that she needed his help- that it'd be wise to keep him close.

She always, always trusted her gut, even when her mind said otherwise.

"Alright Sorr. You can come along. But I’m leaving now." She gave the captain a jaunty salute. "Captain, I wish I could say it was a pleasure."

With that, she turned and left the captain and his people, expecting Nnerb and Sorr to follow. When they were a ways away from the resistance base, and out in the streets of the Undercity, she pulled them aside beneath the awning of a ragged looking shop that sold refurbished circuits.

"Okiday Sorr, I'm gonna level with you kid. I don't trust the Captain. He's kriffing insane. So we're gonna get in touch with these nobles of yours, we're gonna figure out a way out of here, and I'm gonna get paid. One way or another."

Nnerb cut in nervously. "But the captain said-"

Arkyn graced him with a wicked smile that didn't reach her eyes. "Nnerb, do you want me to shoot you?"

"No!"

"Then don't mention the Captain. I've got my own plan. First things first, we gotta contact Sorr's people. Which means we need a secure communication line. Which means we need R5." She pulled out a tiny comlink of her own design- it was a closed channel between herself and R5- and radioed the astromech.

He didn't answer. Just my fething luck.

"I’ll try him again later. We’ll have to look elsewhere. Any ideas kid? If we go deep enough into the Undercity, I’m sure we’ll find something to use to send a message.”

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

Sorr wasn't surprised that Arkyn rejected his offer to come with her, she seemed annoyed with him already, but the last thing Sorr wanted to be is standing around while the Brotherhood were sending troops towards the spaceport. Every minute that passed, Sorr was afraid that they would somehow find the resistance base and kill them all. He definitely wanted to help but he is not going to stand around to get killed. Thankfully, Arkyn changed her mind and allowed Sorr to follow her for now. Good, anywhere was better than near the spaceport right now.

"Right behind you Arkyn," Sorr said giving the captain a nod of thanks while he struggled to keep up with Arkyn. Sorr had to admit she carried herself with some..... swagger as his brother loved to say. Right now he felt out place as a Smuggler but maybe he can try to emulate some of her mannerisms for the future?

"Great!" Sorr said smiling. "First things first, we need to locate and disable any jammers within the area. Just knocking out one, can allow me to gain access to the nobility."

The young man rummaged through his pocket taking out a holodisc. "Here!" Sorr said. "There has to be nobility secretly supporting the Resistance. I know that many of them were imprisoned by the Brotherhood once they took Empress Teta but these guys got to be backed by someone with money. Have your Droid trace the origins of this transmission, it was from an anonymous individual but I had a hard time cracking it."

He actually wished that his ship A.I: M.O.M was here but she was getting some updates with Brinna Dara Brinna Dara back in Lianna. "First objective," Sorr said trying to clear his mind. "Locate the nearest jamming device, from their I can make a burst transmission to any nobles that are free. It'll be much easier if R5 can decipher that holodisc. If I'm right, then that should be a noble who gave me the job. I can establish communications and it'll be easy to hide it from any Brotherhood eavesdroppers."

He shook his head. "If I had to guess where a jammer is," he said. "It'll probably be in a base somewhere in the main city." Sorr sighed. "That's where the challenge is, we may infiltrate a Brotherhood controlled base."

He REALLY hoped that it didn't come to that, but life was always unfair now was it?

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

Arkyn was almost taken aback by Sorr's suggestion, a rebuttal already leaping from her lips: "No kriffing way, kid." She shook her head at him, face twisted in incredulous disbelief. Just who did he think they were, a pair of heroes in a holomovie? "Uba loca stuba," she muttered, "Uba'sa koona tah nee choo." You stupid fool. You're going to get yourself killed.
Sorr, Arkyn had come to realize, was far more passionate about helping the people of Cinnagar than she was- sure, she cared somewhat for her fellow man, but her compassion could only extend so far. After all, no one had ever given her a leg up. Everything she was and everything she owned, she'd had to fight for. Alone. She was selfish, and had no qualms in acknowledging it.
"No kriffing way am I infiltrating a 'Brotherhood controlled base'," she reiterated. She hadn't brought firepower for such an operation, nor did she have back up she could trust- not Sorr, not Nnerb, nor the rest of the freedom fighters.
Fething hells, where are you R5?
A part of her relished the idea, however. Back when she worked for Vorga, she'd infiltrated her fare share of criminal hideouts, warehouses, and fronts- dangerously fun times, she'd called them. Still, she decided, mulling her thoughts, it was just too risky. At least, not without a proper plan.
R5 pinged her comm- she felt the little device vibrating her pocket.
When she answered, the audio was tinny, and R5's beeps and whistles and whirs were strained and muted. The jammers certainly the restricted the signal, but they didn't stop it all together- Benefits of a closed channel monitored and constantly modified by an illegally modified astromech.
Before she could speak, R5 starting beeping and blipping furiously, the long streams of sound modulated and accented by trilling whistles, shrill cries, and susurrous whirs. He had a lot to tell her.
The weapons they'd smuggled were mostly gone, picked up relatively safely during the confusion of the brief battle between the insurgents and the Brotherhood lackeys; according to R5, nearly the whole populace was part of the resistance, and judging by what he'd been hearing on the Maws encrypted channels, attacks were happening all over the planet.
The whole planet is revolting. How terrible, truly, were the Maw, she wondered, for she had yet to meet a denizen of the galaxy who enjoyed living under their rule. Wait a minute…
"R5…how are you listening to encrypted channels?"
The droid explained, with a tone that suggested he was never once at fault, that he was currently in a Maw base, having his way with its systems.
"Elaborate," Arkyn bit out through clenched teeth.
The story the droid told her was nigh unbelievable. R5 had bugged her coat so he heard everything that was said during her talks with Nnerb and Captain Donnik, and purposefully got into a scuffle with a pushy Maw battle droid out on the concourse when the shooting was done. He was taken for scrapping, reprocessing, and reprogramming, and fitted with a restraining bolt- which didn't work on him, thanks to her modifications.
From there, the resourceful little droid escaped the scrap wing and found his way to the bowels of the base where the facility's central processors were maintained by disgruntled cleaning and repair droid. The little shavit was patched in now, geniusly routing the Maw's own comm frequencies to the same as the jammers, killing their own communications. R5 didn't trust her to manage on her own- as inept as she was, the droid beeped and purred, other organics were even worse.
She was floored and annoyed at the same time. Floored that R5 would go so far and do so much on his own, and annoyed for the exact same reasons. She remembered yelled him to stay with the ship…
"Can you destroy the jammers?" Arkyn asked instead.
R5 beeped negatively. The jammers were on a separate system from the main cpu, he beeped mulishly, and the room where they were housed was heavily fortified- that is to say, he could certainly open the door, but he'd definitely get shot doing it.
"Stay where you are R5, I'm coming to get you." She turned to Sorr. "Looks like you'll get your infiltration after all. Let's go, kid. Nnerb. I've got a plan."
She grinned maniacally, mouth pulled wide and tight, eyes glinting, and sprinted off into the waning day.

Sorr Kortu

Sorr wasn't surprised with Arkyn's response, she was right it is suicidal to go deep into enemy territory. Especially if the said blame is likely not going to work. Many nobles on Empress Teta were either killed, captured or fled the planet but the rebels were definitely being funded by someone with money, Sorr just needed to know who. "You're right Arkyn," Sorr said. "It is stupid and right now my brain is telling me to get the heck out of here and don't look back."

The young man sighed surveying the war-torn planet, his fists curled up infuriated at his cowardice. "But Arkyn," Sorr face scrunched up in anger. "I have to do something I need to do something. I've lost family, friends on Empress Teta and just giving the resistance some smuggled weapons is not enough."

Sorr shook his head. "Besides," he said. "If you help out, I can talk to the nobles. I know most of them, the reward you'll will quintuple the payout for this job. I'm saying that you can buy your own Island in Naboo kind of money!"

Just then R5 mentioned that he could into destroy jammers, but he needs a straight shot at it. Arkyn hatched an idea, her grin made Sorr feel uncomfortable though. "Sure," Sorr said pulling out his Pistol. "Let's get to that jammer."

It was time to make a difference.

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

The facility was a tall, ugly building that gleamed gunmetal grey in the low evening light. The area around the building was cordoned off by a laser-link security fence, the length of which was patrolled by a single pair of troopers- two more stood at the entrance to the facility, beyond which was a long walkway framed by parked transports and massive shipping crates. There were turrets on columns placed strategically around the wall, ion cannons by the looks of them.
Arkyn stood in an alley adjacent to the facility, Nnerb and Sorr crowded behind her, studying the building. As she watched, the turrets turned towards the security gate. Good job, R5. She glanced back at Nnerb and Sorr.
"Go and gather some of your resistance pals," she told the Sullustan, "as many as you can, and be quick about it. We're gonna need a diversion when it's time to leave."
Nnerb nodded. "Right, a diversion. I can do that."
Arkyn winked at him. "Of course you can, bub. And you, Sorr...stick close to me. You do what I say, when I say, got it?"
She could feel her blood pumping, adrenaline coursing in her veins like a current. She slipped her DG-29 from it's holster, took a deep breath, then sprinted towards the fence. "Deactivate the fence, R5...now!"
The laser-links flickered off just long enough for Arkyn and Sorr to pass through. R5 beeped at her angrily through the comm.
"Save the turrets for when we need them." She ducked behind a transport. The guards at the gate hadn't noticed a thing. "I've got a better idea anyway. Reprogram their targeting functions to shoot at the building, then put them in a timed sleep mode. Set it to five minutes. That should be enough time to reach you."
R5 beeped a sullen affirmative.
"Alright kid, you ready?"
When the patrol made its second loop, Arkyn scurried into the facility, the doors opening as she neared. Usually she would have to crack the door codes in such a situation, but with R5 inside, she pretty much had access to everything. The only problem from henceforth would be-
"Troopers!
A pair of black clad troopers came strolling around the bend in the corridor. There was a shocked moment of silence before Arkyn shot them both. She eyed the fallen pair, sizing them up.
"You put on one suit, I'll put on the other. We can drag the bodies in that room over there."

Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

Going deep into enemy territory...... Sorr must have a death wish he probably did but it was for the best. The people of Empress Teta need a fighting chance. Sorr nodded when Arkyn told him to do exactly what she says. "No need to tell me twice," Sorr whispered while Nnerb went back to gather some reinforcements.

Clutching onto his blaster, Sorr looked around and saw a couple of Brotherhood troopers patrolling the area and minding their own business. "That's good Sorr," he thought. "Act like you're invisible, we are never here."

The fence deactivated allowing the two of them to enter, Sorr rushed towards the transport making note of the turrets. "Those turrets....." Sorr whispered to Arykan. "It's controlled by a computer, when I can slice into the system maybe I can control all of those turrets. It'll pretty easy to soften them up if we get in trouble."

Couldn't hurt and while Sorr planned on leaving the base unscathed, he should have a plan B. Sorr nodded as the patrol walked past them, he couldn't help but smile when they reached the facility. They were almost home-

"Holy chi-"

Two dark troopers armed to the teeth spotted them as soon as they entered. Sorr squeaked nearly dropping his Blaster Pistol in the process, thankfully Arkyan took them down with ease. "Oh man," Sorr said almost wanting to throw up. "I can never get use to a gunfight."

At least they got some disguises now. "Hopefully they don't have any scanners," Sorr said kneeling down and removing the armor. "I'm doubtful they do but hopefully they have some IFF transponders integrated on their armor. The young man changed into the armor a bit surprised that it fit tight, Sorr wasn't a big man.

"You ready?" Sorr asked Arkyn.

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

Arkyn eyed Sorr, brow arched in disdain as he retrieved his blaster. "By the moons of Nal Hutta, you're really terrible at this, ain't ya? How the heck did a kid like you become a smuggler, anyway?"
She quickly changed into the armor, carefully tucking her hair into the bucket. Visibility was rather poor under the helmet, but the admittedly basic sensor suite almost made up for it. She and Sorr tucked the bodies away in the side room- a rather cluttered storage closet- then calmly walked down the corridor, as casual as a stroll down a quiet city concourse.
"Alright R5, lay it on me."
The droid beeped and whistled and whirred over her personal comm, detailing the route they needed to take to reach him. There were no human soldiers on his side of the facility, nor any wandering Scarhounds- just a few battle droids and astromechs. However, the signal jammers were in the command room, and it was the most heavily guarded room in the facility; most of the remaining soldiers, scientists, and tribal chaff had gathered there, and there were droids and troopers at every entrance.
That was just fine, Arkyn thought. Improvisation was a talent of hers.
They came upon a fork in the corridor. One split left, one split right, and one continued forward.
"How do I get to the generators?" She had a couple of thermal detonators attached to her belt beneath the armor. Certainly enough ordinance to blow a generator...maybe even the whole facility, if she placed them right.
R5 answered- after telling her whatever she was planning was doubtlessly monumentally stupid- and she smiled.
"Alright Sorr, this is where we split up." She handed him her personal com. "R5 is gonna lead you to him. Ignore his grumblings and do exactly what he says, and you should be fine. It's almost a straight shot down that hall from here." She pointed down the leftward corridor. "But just in case, don't drop your blaster. See ya' in a few mintues, kid. We'll meet back up where we left the bodies."
She turned and entered a brisk walk down the rightward corridor, marching as a trooper might, stiff and upright.
She forgot to ask if Sorr understood Binary.
Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

Sorr Kortu

Binary was like a second language to Sorr.

According to his Mom, the first words that came out of his mouth were 0 and 1. The Binary Language was a harmony of mathematical perfection and most astromech Droids speak only in Binary. "I'll be sure to tape my hands around my blaster Ayrkan," Sorr gave her a nervous grin. "Come on R5, I'm coming to you."

The young man began to stroll through the hallway his blaster pistol clasped around his hands nervously looking around. So far so good, there wasn't any signs of Brotherhood activity. "Brother," A female voice came from the right. Sorr turned around and saw a female cult member approach him. "Stay calm....." Sorr thought. "What is it?" He asked.

"Have you heard about the shootout in the hangar bay?" She said. "Those Smugglers are putting a real fight, we might need reinforcements for this lot."

The Brotherhood are having trouble taking care of the Smugglers? Excellent! "Y-yeah," Sorr said. "M-maybe you should go there and assist! If we can't handle a bunch of cutthroats, what do you think will happen when Alliance comes back to try to retake the planet?"

"Might as well Brother," the female said rolling her eyes. "Keep watch for me please, I'll be back."

"I hope you don't," Sorr mumbled relieved that she left and surprised that he actually convinced the enemy to leave him alone. Once she was gone, Sorr broke out into a sprint taking a hard left and meeting R5.

"Hey!" Sorr whispered. "I'm here! Let's get to work!"

Arkyn Rane Arkyn Rane

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom