Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Bonds Forged and Broken

GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png
Outfit: xxx
Hollis walked into the hangar bay at a brisk pace. Her hands gripped the straps of a backpack, where she'd stashed some essentials for the mission. Well, she hoped so anyways because she didn't really know just what to expect. On her hip was the training saber that Justice Lesan Justice Lesan had given to her, and around her neck was a kyber crystal that she'd found on her first mission with him. His presence lingered softly, probably because she'd given him the crystal to wear when he went to war on Ilum. Or, maybe it was something more than that.​
Today, Hollis would be joining Master Valery Noble on a mission. Her own master, Melfina Nemore, had told her to work with other Jedi as well -- she'd gain so much for experience that way. She'd never met Master Noble, but the name was very present within the NJO -- and Silas Westgard Silas Westgard had mentioned her to Hollis. It was exciting to accompany such an accomplished master, but...​
The recent news of Master Noble's loss had traveled the halls of the temple.​
Hollis didn't really know what to say as she boarded the transport. Should she greet the master like nothing had happened? No, that didn't feel right. Perhaps she ought to offer her condolences. Her brow knit together as she rehearsed the conversation in her mind; she didn't realize she was pacing. Truly, Hollis couldn't imagine what Valery was going through. She was so deep in thought that she hadn't noticed the master approach. Jumping slightly, Hollis offered the woman a gentle smile.​
"Hello, Master Noble," she said with a slight bow. "I'm Hollis Orenn -- it's very nice to meet you."
Say something, she thought. But she felt the opportunity slipping through her fingers as she stood tongue-tied. She didn't want to make things awkward... she was too good at making things awkward. So, for now, she pressed her lips together and stayed quiet.​

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Coruscant | Shuttle
Tag | Hollis Orenn Hollis Orenn

Life must move forward.

It's what Valery kept telling herself while she tried her best to process the loss of her husband and balance that with her duties as a Jedi and the responsibilities of a mother. Nothing in life could have ever prepared her for the pain she felt, for the hole that was torn in her heart, and for the difficulties she'd have to try to keep herself going. But she had lost enough people close to her to understand that she couldn't just give up.

Her Padawans needed her, her daughter relied on her, and so many people in the Galaxy lived their lives in peace because of the work she did alongside other Jedi. For this reason, she had decided to accept a mission and arrange for a Padawan to join her. Any person would have understood if she hadn't taken this on, but this would offer her a distraction, and allowed her to honor the promise that she made to her husband.

So when Hollis finally entered the transport, Valery walked over but without the usual aura of warm kindness. It was as if dark clouds from that rainy night were still moving along with her. Still, there was a faint smile when she stopped in front of the young woman and dipped her head.

"A pleasure to meet you, Padawan Orenn," Valery said without the usual fire in her eyes. "It seems you're well-prepared," she added when she noticed the backpack.

"Let's move to the cockpit and I'll tell you more about the mission," she paused and glanced over her shoulder for a moment, "Are you familiar with piloting ships like this?" Valery understood that the loss of her partner and how it affected her was something every Jedi was aware of to some extent at this point. But she didn't openly look to bring it up or make it someone else's problem. She had always been fairly closed off when it came to certain types of pain.

ValSword.png

GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png
Hollis smiled at Master Noble. Though, the Jedi Master had a genial smile of her own, it seemed... somehow sad. Or perhaps, was it her aura that Hollis was feeling? Hollis gave the strap of her backpack a small tug as they started to walk. She did like to be prepared – probably over prepared – but it was better than being caught without. Her nerves made her do things like that.

As they made for the cockpit, Hollis' eyes widened slightly when Valery asked if she was familiar with piloting. "I've just started piloting recently, actually." Her smile widened slightly. "Justice – I mean, Padawan Lesan – has been kind enough to help me learn." And she had put in enough time with the simulators to perform the basic functions of flight.

A warmth filled Hollis as she spoke about learning to fly. And it wasn't the fact that she could now officially pilot that made her feel that way. She realized that she was probably blushing, and placed a hand against her cheek sheepishly as if trying to confirm for herself. Hollis tried to cover the action by tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear. She wasn't sure if any rumors about her relationship with Justice had reached Valery -- or if she approved of Padawans dating -- or if she just felt especially awkward given the circumstances.

"I-I'm happy to fly us there – wherever that is – if you'd like, Master Noble," Hollis stammered quickly.

Silently, she was chiding herself. Way to go, she thought, only she could make a fool of herself before they'd even left the temple.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Shuttle

Valery noticed the eyes widening at the question and saw that little sparkle that came with it. What she said about Justice afterward got her to smile brighter too — even now that she felt miserable, she could still find joy in the happiness of others, and few things were as precious as young love.

That is, if she was reading the emotions she felt from Hollis when she talked about Justice correctly.

"He's a good one, glad you two get along so well," she said with a slightly teasing tone and a smirk as if she was testing just how well they got along. It didn't bother Valery at all that they were exploring romantic relationships — she always felt they were a strength in their life. But she also hoped they understood how potentially painful it could become in the life of a Jedi.

"But that was exactly my idea. I have the coordinates set in the navigational computer already, but I'd like you to take off, fly us there and go through the landing," Valery went on to explain as she entered the cockpit, and settled down in the co-pilot seat, allowing Hollis to take the pilot seat. She always wanted to not only test those who came along on missions but offer them moments to shine or learn as well. This would be a fun opportunity for Hollis, she hoped.

"As for where we're going — Arkania. We have reasons to believe Imperial spies and infiltrators have set up a base there, so I want to bring you along to investigate." She paused a moment to let it sink in. "Have you heard about the planet before?"

ValSword.png

GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png
"He is a good one," Hollis said, smiling. There would likely be a swell of affection felt in the force – Hollis couldn't hide it if she'd tried.

She cleared her throat as if preparing for a speech, but really… she was trying to prepare for takeoff. "Alright," she said, trying to sound as confident as she could. The coordinates were already set, so this would be an easy task, right? She hoped so.

"Arkania," she repeated, listening to Valery explain the mission. "I've heard of it, but I've never been there before."

Imperials. The only experience she'd had with Imperials was on Ilum, when the group of padawans had discovered the kyber mining op. She knew little about them, but she'd heard about their rather ruthless reputation.

A pang of nerves hit Hollis as she got the clearance to leave. "Ah, um, right…." She breathed out slowly as she started up the engines. She remembered how comfortable Justice had been at the controls of his ship, and she attempted to channel that, with minimal success. Her arms were rigid as she took hold of the yoke, muscles tightly wound. The white-knuckled grip might have suggested that she was about to engage in a high-tension space battle.

But Hollis was able to get the craft lifted off and into the atmosphere without issue.

"Phew," she blew out a big breath.

Her petite frame visibly relaxed in the pilot's chair.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Shuttle

Valery definitely noticed the way her emotions flowed out into the Force and smiled, "I met him during difficult times when one of my own Padawans stole my lightsaber to go on a mission alone. He went after her because he wasn't able to stop her, and lost his arm to a Sithspawn in the process," Valery began without really explaining the reason behind the story. "I ended up finding them just in time to prevent things from... getting worse, but while terrible, it did show his commitment to protect the people he cares about."

She looked at Hollis and smirked a little, "He is a good one."

Then it was time to get off the ground, and she watched Hollis go through everything correctly. She just seemed nervous and a little stiff, but nothing to worry about. "Very good, get us into hyperspace and we can let the autopilot cover the rest until we need to land."

"As for Arkania, the planet is extremely cold and unfriendly, but most people live in the cities, which were designed to keep the cold out. The problem for us is that we have to go out of the city. The Imperial outpost is rumored to be located within an abandoned diamond mine,"
Valery explained before she looked at Hollis again.

"Have you learned Tapas? Or know what it is, at least?"

ValSword.png

GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png

Hollis' eyes widened – and she looked at Valery with a new sense of recognition. "You were there," she said. "That's right."

As she recalled the brief flashes of memory she'd witnessed, Hollis did see the face of Master Noble there that night. It was, as they say, a small galaxy. Or perhaps the force did bring people together for a reason.

"I… saw his memory of the attack,"
Hollis said before she could even think about it. It was something that had come through their bond, projected before her eyes. It hadn't been something that Justice had really talked about in depth, until after she'd seen. Now, it seemed that their bond had deepened as a result.

She smiled.

More than once, she'd felt very lucky to have collided with Justice on Tython.

Hollis set the autopilot and nodded to Master Noble once that was done. She thought of ice when Valery told her about Arkania. "Tapas," she repeated, thinking for a moment. "It can keep you warm?" She thought she remembered Master Nemore telling her it was one of the things she needed to learn.

"I haven't tried before,"
she said, a hint of worry in her voice.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Shuttle

She just nodded in acknowledgment and offered Hollis a gentle smile, but while she talked more about her relationship with Justice and the memories she had seen, she was fairly quiet. There was something on her mind that she didn't quite know how to bring up, and only after Hollis turned on the auto-pilot and shared her thoughts about Tapas, she snapped back out of her trance and into reality.

"Mhmm, Tapas allows you to retain your body heat. So it doesn't warm you up if you're already cold, but it'll stop you from getting cold," she explained, but her eyes showed that she wanted to say something more. After a moment of hesitation, she let out a soft sigh and looked at Hollis.

"Before I explain more about Tapas and using it, do you mind if I share some advice about relationships as a Jedi?" Valery asked. With a topic like this, she understood if she preferred not to talk about it to someone she just met, but Jedi and romantic bonds were very different from the norm, and she had quite a unique perspective on it.

"I just notice how much it means to you, and how strong the bond is becoming. I believe it can help you in the future."

ValSword.png

GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png

Hollis nodded at Valery's explanation of Tapas – it made sense. The padawan noted the way Master Noble looked at her, like there was something on her mind. And it became clear a moment later, when Valery offered to give her some advice about… relationships.

Though her face reddened noticeably, and Hollis shifted in her seat, she gave the woman a small nod. "Of course," she said.

Her bond with Justice had been growing deeper, especially as of late.

Hollis' own master seemed reluctant to broach the topic beyond – 'don't let him distract you,' or 'he won't 'always be there to save you.' But Hollis had a feeling that Master Nemore could not speak from experience, not like Valery could. As far as she knew, Master Nemore had lived quite a solitary life… she did not believe in having relationships. For her own part, Hollis hadn't dated much, she'd never had a serious relationship before. The advice, not just as a Jedi, but in general was more than welcome.

"I would appreciate the advice, actually,"
she admitted, feeling a bit sheepish -- even if she shouldn't.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Shuttle

"I would appreciate the advice, actually,"

That got Valery to smile — she, of course, believed relationships was a beautiful thing, but they weren't always easy to manage. To be open to advice was a good sign, and she hoped it would help Hollis in the future. "Alright, first things first, I'm not wanting to scare you. Enjoy the time you spend with him, and cherish every moment," Valery said, just in case she was nervous about getting some really somber advice.

Valery had, after all, just lost her partner, and experienced that pain.

"What I wanted to help with is Force bonds. Those that form through very close relationships are some of the most powerful, and they can be your biggest strength. It's... part of what makes relationships so beautiful. But I also suggest being careful, as they can also become a weakness. Not just through loss," she said, obviously referring to her own. "It's important that you don't let them control you."

"To an extent, they will always try to distract, but when they control, things can get dangerous. Draw on the strength of a relationship — the hope and happiness they bring, but always remain mindful of your decisions and actions."

ValSword.png

GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png
Hollis nodded as Master Noble spoke, thankful the woman mentioned not wanting to frighten her. Indeed, she intended to take her advice to heart, especially to cherish every moment.

Force bonds.

When her own bond had started forming with Justice, she hadn't even known about such things. However, now she was beginning to experience a deeper bond that was easily felt. She'd heard that bonds formed between Jedi were strong, but she had no first-hand knowledge – until now.

"I hadn't thought of it that way before," Hollis said, blinking. "That such a bond could make you more… vulnerable that way – emotionally, I mean." The Jedi teachers often stressed not giving into your emotions. Now, she was beginning to understand what it truly meant. Love was a strong emotion; sometimes it made people do things that was out of character.

Hollis took in Valery's somber expression.

No doubt, the woman had grieved her partner. However, she hadn't let that grief consume her. What strength that must have taken… "Always remain mindful," she echoed, quietly. "I'll remember that." Hollis gave a nod, then fixed Valery in a sympathetic glance.

"I was sorry to hear about… your husband," she said. "I can't really imagine…"

Hollis trailed off, partially because she couldn't actually imagine going through such a difficult time and making it through to the other side. But also, because she didn't want to make Valery feel uncomfortable or sad. She didn't really know what to say, so she let her aura begin to radiate warmth – if perhaps it would help.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Shuttle

"They can, and you'll both learn that even distance won't matter," Valery said with a dip of her head. "When he's light years away from you, it's still possible that you can feel his emotions. Both the good and the bad," Valery stressed again. This was the distracting part of a relationship as a Jedi, and why these attachments were often forbidden in the history of the Jedi. The risk of prioritizing a close partner over everything else was too great.

But with both the warning and assuring words that it was important to cherish close relationships like this, Valery felt Hollis understood it all quite well, so she was ready to continue with their actual mission.

"I'll remember that."

Valery beamed a warm smile and was about to turn back to her instruments when Hollis mentioned the death of her husband, and showed her sympathies. Her fiery gaze shifted back, albeit a tad slower, and she offered a slightly more somber smile, "Thank you, it has been hard but I'll be okay." She paused a beat then let out a soft sigh, "Despite what happened, I have no regrets about any of it. So if it worried you even just a little, I can guarantee you that it's still worth being open to these feelings." Valery had married him, started a family, and lived through great battles and cute family moments together. Both the amazing and terrible times. But she wouldn't have changed it for anything.

"Now, Tapas..." she chuckled softly, knowing they had shifted directions a little. "It's a Control ability, which means you must look within yourself, and tap into the Force as it flows through you. It helps if you clear your mind, and follow the energy streams throughout your core."

"Control them, and guide them outwards as if you're forming a second layer around yourself. Does this make sense?"

ValSword.png

GADivider-Purple.png

Hollis-Temp.png
Hollis could see why her fellow padawans spoke highly of Master Noble. The woman was a pillar of strength, even during difficult times. And her advice spoke volumes to Hollis, who had a tendency to over-think things until she doubted herself and her decisions.

She hoped, someday, she could be brave like Master Noble.

Hollis smiled when the conversation shifted towards Tapas. And she tried to take in all of the information. Indeed it was sometimes a little different to take an explanation and follow it with practice, especially when it came to using the force. But it was starting to get easier. "Okay," Hollis said, nodding. "I think I understand."

Drawing a deep breath, her focus turned inward briefly – just getting used to the feeling and awareness. Then, Hollis would guide the force to guard her – thinking about it almost like a warm overcoat.

She supposed the true test would be getting out into the Arkanian cold.

Outfit | XoXo
Location | Shuttle

"Very good," Valery said when she felt Hollis tap into the Force to make an attempt at using Tapas. Whether it worked or not was hard to tell until they reached Arkania, but it wasn't too difficult of an ability to use. "Try to maintain it while we travel to Arkania and of course, while we're there. The only difficult part about Tapas is maintaining it for a long time, especially if you get tired or hurt."

She hoped they could avoid the latter, but it was likely going to be a demanding mission. If Hollis ended up losing her focus on Tapas, Valery would be ready to assist her, though.

Soon enough, the Jedi's shuttle arrived and pulled out of hyperspace, before the nose was pushed down to bring the vessel through the atmosphere. But rather than heading for one Arkania's cities, their path took them into cold wastelands, far away from any kind of civilization. There, in the center of a field of ice and snow, the Jedi touched down and powered down the engines. The ramp in the back lowered soon after, and Valery turned to Hollis.

"Alright, let's get outside and try to find our target. I'd like you to guide us if you can. Do you sense anything that could give us some direction?"

ValSword.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom