Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Blinding Lights

The Uscru District of Coruscant. More commonly known, at least in Novalie's circle, as the Entertainment District. The place to be on a Zhellday night, and just the sort of place to catch the eye of two teenagers easily drawn in by bright lights, diverting holograms on every corner, and the promise of fun scrawled across every neon sign.

It had rained heavily earlier that day, and the smell of a fresh rainstorm still hung in the air. The durasteel streets were sodden with water, creating a dazzling medley of bright colors that reflected the city's lights in each puddle.

There was nothing in particular that Novalie wanted to do. She just wanted to get out of the temple. To stretch her legs and see what the Entertainment District had to offer. She'd left her robes back in the dormitory and opted for a pair of jeans and a leather jacket thrown over a t-shirt just in case it decided to rain again.

"You ever been to this side of town before?" she asked, turning to her companion—a Twi'lek boy she had only met yesterday. It was a safe bet that he had been a Padawan for a lot longer than she had, so she imagined the answer was probably yes. Still, it was a conversation starter. Something to break the ice since neither of them had really said much since leaving the temple.

With no classes the next morning and her pockets lined with a few credits from her parents, the evening was theirs.
Kostodu Xyston Kostodu Xyston

Kostodu looked around in awe at the neon lights and signs, at the peddlers on the side of the street, shouting to gain attention, hoping to make some sales. The Padawan had seen it before, yes, but it was still amazing. The Entertainment District. There was a reason it was called that, of course. This massive area was filled with pubs, venues, and other more... mature sections. But Kostodu would stick to the family friendly parts, and besides, the other areas would take a while to find in this maze of a place. He didn't want to get lost like the last time he was here....

The Twi'lek was brought out of his awful reminiscing by Novalie Krii, a fellow Padawan.
"You ever been to this side of town before?"
"Yes I have, actually. Um, unfortunately I got lost that time in a pretty bad place, but...I'm sure I won't lose my way this time!" he promised with a half-hearted attempt to sound cheerful. But he decided to put that memory away for another time. Now, it was time to have fun.

And then he realized. He didn't bring his wallet. Kriff!

He was so excited to get out of the Temple that he had forgotten the one thing he really needed. Kostodu sighed and dug into his pockets. Not a lot of credits, but thankfully he had his ID with him. That was almost disastrous.

The Padawan forced himself to relax. It may have been a close call, but everything was alright now. A smile appeared on his face and he said, "So, where do you want to go first? Oh, silly me. You've never been here before. Well, I guess we'll walk around for now. Tell me if you see anything you want to do!"

Novalie Krii Novalie Krii

"Did you really?" the Keshiri asked, shoving her hands into the pockets of her leather jacket as they strolled along at a casual pace, weaving their way through the crowd. There was no judgement in her voice. Only curiosity. "Sounds like there's more to that story."

If he had gotten lost in, as he put it, "a pretty bad place," there had to be more to it, but she wouldn't press him for the details. If he wanted to share what had happened, he would. Her mother was the nosy one in the family, not her.

Novalie was completely oblivious to the other Padawan's passing crisis as he searched in vain for his wallet, enchanted by the lights and all the sights, sounds, and smells she had never experienced before. It didn't help that she was a teenager caught up in her own little reality either.

The pair hadn't made it far before Novalie pointed to a food stall to the right of them. The stall's operator was so short he had to sit on a stool, only his head and the upper part of his torso visible over the counter. His large mouth broke into a grin as soon as he made eye contact with the teenagers, lips parting to reveal two rows of small, pointy teeth. Over the stall hung a sign that read Second Best Rodian Peppers in Town in Aurebesh.

"How about some food?" Novalie suggested, already cutting a path toward the food stall. Kostodu Xyston Kostodu Xyston

Kostodu began to stammer while searching for words to explain his little "adventure" in the Entertainment District. But while he was still trying to find the explanation, Novalie was already making a path through the crowd of people, aiming straight towards a food vendor. "Wait up!" Kostodu cried out, bumping and crashing into several other citizens.

Before a bulky Ithorian could shake a fist at him, the Padawan was next to Novalie, reading the vendor's sign. Second best? What kind of name was that? Where was the first best rodian pepper vendor? As if reading his thoughts, the short human running the shop grinned at him and said, "What would you like to order? Oh, and don't worry about the sign, we became the first best a few weeks ago..." He stared off into the distance like he was recalling an unpleasant memory.

"If you don't mind me asking...what happened to the first best vendor?" Kostodu asked, concerned.

"Nobody knows.... Anyway, what would you like?" the vendor asked, quickly changing his expression from reminiscent, to welcoming.

"Uh...I'll browse the menu first," the Padawan responded. He whispered to Novalie, "What are you gonna get?"

Kostodu decided to play it safe and have the pepper wraps. Who knew what was in that Meiloorun pudding? Probably not Meilooruns...

Eh, he was probably just super paranoid. It should be safe. Probably.

Nobody knows? That... didn't sound ominous at all. Nope. Not one bit.

Novalie probably should have been a little more concerned than she was at this point, between the vendor's slightly unnerving grin and the faraway look he got in his eyes as he recalled his former competitor, but she was hungry and had recently—quite recently, in fact—come to the decision to mind her own business in spite of her curiosity.

"A number three," she stated, answering Kostodu's question and the expectant look on the vendor's face at the same time. The vendor gave a grunt of approval at the teenagers' orders and scooted off the barstool he'd been sitting on. His small frame completely disappeared, not even the top of his balding head visible above the counter.

Novalie shrugged at her companion, offering him an amused smile as they waited on their food, the wait punctuated by the occasional grunt, whistle, or clanking of two pans knocking together. Then their food was slid onto the counter, their credits eagerly gathered, and they were on their way.

"These are massive," the Keshiri laughed, examining the stuffed peppers from every angle as they walked away. Kostodu Xyston Kostodu Xyston

Kostodu took in the smells while their food was being prepared...Wow that smelled good. When his tray of peppers was slid across the counter, the Padawan swiped it and popped one of the peppers into his mouth.

Hot. Hot. Hot. HOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

The spice was spread all around his mouth now, there was nothing he could do but brave it. His tongue was not on fire, it was stuck in a river of lava. More than anything, he wanted to run around with his mouth open to get some cold air on it or something, maybe even run to find a drink. And then it hit him. A place that sold peppers so hot would have drinks to get more money.

Kostodu whirled around, nearly ramming into Novalie, and stopped by the vendor, fishing out twenty credits and throwing them on the counter.
"Drink, ples..."

Ples? Oh well. The man understood. With a toothy grin, he pulled a canned beverage from behind the counter and handed it to the Twi'lek. "Here you go, friend!"

Kostodu had never been more grateful for a drink in his life. Just one drop and the lava was gone. "What is this...miracle juice?"

"Is special! For those that can't handle our peppers' spice!" the man replied, still grinning. Was he amused at seeing Kostodu in pain?

The Padawan glared at him for a second, then ate another pepper. This time, he was more prepared. But it still hurt.

"Sorry," he said to Novalie, "I've never really had spicy stuff before."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom