Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Below the rust

Varik Ice
Equipment: Lightsaber - Armour
OouWALC.jpg
Varik pondered quietly as he watched the red ball get closer and closer from the bridge of his ship. His helmet remained on the terminal in front of the cockpit, having already set his course on autopilot. He moved back into the pilot's seat as he adjusted the controls, setting the X-70C down and landing quietly. As he peered out the viewing window, he saw that work had already begun. Mining equipment was being shifted around to prepare for the work to be done, with supervisors barking orders to the workers nearby.

Ice walked with a firm posture down the ramp of his ship, letting it close behind him as the rust-coloured dust and soil brushed past him in the wind. He walked through the prepared excavation sites, peering down a large cavern downwards. "More than enough Phrikite around here, sir." Varik glanced over to the supervisor who spoke to him, staring with a blank face as he continued on. "At this rate, we should have enough to sell to set us up for years, I thi-" He spoke quickly. "Very good."

Varik walked away in a quick pace, ending the conversation. Perhaps it seemed rude, but he couldn't risk conversation about what this was for - there was too much he would have to control, too much information to keep under wraps. He entered a prefab building at the end of the site, closing the door behind him. The room inside was a makeshift office, complete with everything needed. Varik had only recently grown to understand and appreciate these sorts of environments. He moved around, pressing a button to bring up a small hologram of one of his staff. "Tell the Hunter to come to my office." He cut off the communications, giving no room for reply as he sat down in his chair, awaiting his contractor.

[member="Arador Kahn"]

S u p e r i o r

Arador would be aboard his ship as he silently held a device to his ear, just the faint sound of a young female voice talking from the other side. He would not say anything, less the one-way transmission become a two way and therefore traced back to the receiving end. After about half a minute the transmission would cut off as he pulled the listening device away and sat up in his ship. He would walk over to the end as he plucked his featureless helmet from a shelf and slid it over his head, securing and locking it in place as his HUD lit up.

He had been hired by a particular individual who had made his rounds within the Galactic Empire, but no longer seemed to be acting on their behalf. The hunter would lower the ramp of his ship as he was greeted by a staff who had been patiently awaiting for Arador to come out of his ship. The hunter would look down at the staff as they walked over to the prefab building before the staff had opened up the door and stepped off to the side after briefly having been informed by Varik to enter, " Mister Ice will see you now. "

The hunter would brush past the staff without further conversation as the door shut behind him and he found himself in Varik's office. One hand was resting on his belt while the other dangled idly by his side as his vocoded voice was heard, as he attempted to pry " Nice operation you got set up around here. What you mining all this Phrikite for? " The hunter's head would cock to the side a bit as he eyed the individual in the office, curious to see what information he could get and how he could best profit from it.
[member="Varik Ice"]

Varik Ice
OouWALC.jpg
Varik stared up at the helmeted figure as he entered, the cold eyes immediately sizing him up. It was an instinct, sizing up the physical prowess of any potential threat; even with how unlikely they were to be violent towards him. His eyes began to stare towards the visor where the man's eyes were, as though he was trying to put a hole in the helmet. Ice didn't move a muscle at all, partially a test of the Hunter's nerve and patience; he expected that the man would say nothing in return, he wouldn't be the type to hire a bounty hunter he could put off guard like that.

"Walk with me." The former Inquisitor said as he stood from his chair. Looping around the desk, he walked past Kahn and opened the door, giving him enough time to slip through it behind him before it closed. As he began to walk, they passed the entrances to caverns known to have veins of Phrikite within; it was hardly the largest mining operation in the galaxy, and probably not even the biggest that had been seen on this moon, but that wasn't the point.

"I'm going to be using this Phrikite for some projects I have in mind, though they're long-term. That's part of the reason I contacted you." Ice continued to pace, passing by mining staff who passed him some nods. Eventually, he stopped and turned back towards Arador, facing him with his hands clasped behind his back. "Before we discuss your work, though. I want you to know that I'm trying to be very subtle with this. Why do you think that is?"

[member="Arador Kahn"]

S u p e r i o r

The hunter would remain still as he stared back at Ice who had been sizing him up, his expressionless and featureless helmet not giving away anything. Sure enough, however, the former Inquisitor would likely be able to pick up on the negative vibes that Arador had surrounding him like a veil. Surely anyone with the ability to read intent could tell that Arador was not an individual you typically wanted to keep around or let close either.

Arador's head would shift as it followed Varik when he stood, shifting his weight from one foot to the other as the former Inquisitor asked for Arador to walk with him. He simply turned to let Varik past before walking behind the man back outside as the door hissed shut behind him. The two would walk as Arador followed, eyeing the mining operation happening around him as they passed the entrances to the caverns that they were mining Phrikite from.

Varik began to talk, though Arador wasn't paying much attention to the fluff context of why the man was mining Phrikite. It wasn't of any particular interest to the hunter, he just wanted to hear the details of his assignment as well as how much he would be paid for it. When Varik stopped walking, Arador would pause as well, a lax posture taken as he cocked his head to the side, " I don't get paid to answer questions. I get paid to get the job done. Subtelty isn't exactly my area of expertise either unless you want to pay double my fee. "

Arador would cross his arms over his chest, his head shifting to the side as he made a subtle jab that if Varik wanted to keep things secret, it would cost him more than he was already paying Arador for.

[member="Varik Ice"]

Varik Ice
OouWALC.jpg
Varik kept a straight look on his face, seeming to have little reaction to Arador's answer. He found it curious though, and didn't seem too bothered about the increasingly louder noises of mining equipment drilling below in the various caverns. "You will be paid double. When I say subtlety, hunter...I'm referring to keeping your mouth shut." Hunter was not a disrespectful word in the slightest - at least, not to him. It was honorific if anything, at least where he came from. Perhaps in other cultures that didn't appreciate it, it was derogatory.

Ice glanced over as one of the supervisors jogged over, handing him a datapd. He scrolled through the manifests of equipment and to the live feed he was given, watching the mining from one of the small observer droids that was collecting reports from the workers. Things were moving faster than he thought. "Subtlety's necessary here, too. We're almost within Sith Imperial space. If we aren't subtle...a Sith Lord may come here, looking for slaves. Killing a Sith could harm later relationships."

He seemed to feel that he explained enough about that, closing down the datapad as he turned his full attention to Kahn once more. "There's a man I need you to hunt. Former employee, stole valuable equipment and and shot a co-worker as he left. Dead or Alive makes no difference to me. More importantly, he has information I want to make sure nobody else finds." Varik spoke in a very matter-of-fact tone, listing off the details quickly and keeping his cold gaze towards Arador. "I'll have the details transmitted to your ship."

[member="Arador Kahn"]

S u p e r i o r

Arador continued to keep pace by Varik's side as he kept one hand on his belt while the other swung at his side with each step. As they passed by some louder equipment, his helmet would filter out the excess background noise. A small chuckle would be made by Arador from beneath his helmet though it would not be heard by Varik as it was not transmitted through his helmet's speakers. It seemed that this individual had quite the fortune to be so casually throwing credits around with little negotiation. Arador was always curious when someone asked for him to keep his mouth shut. Always something important that needed to be kept a secret that could be worth a lot of credits to the right person, or a good bargaining chip for blackmail.

Varik would begin to go off on the importance of subtlety given their proximity to the Sith Empire's space. He was aware that they weren't particularly keen on taking kindly to those that crossed them, and they also paid very well. Arador was busy thinking over how much the Sith Empire may compensate them should they find out that someone was mining a valuable resource practically at their doorstep. He would shift his attention back to Varik as he was talking about harm being made to future relationships. Perhaps Arador would see how profitable he could make this contract, and if it wasn't to his liking, information could always be sold. After all, knowledge is power.

Arador would listen as Varik went over the details of his job. Locate and hunt down a renegade employee who possessed classified information and make sure he is brought back alive or dead. Arador would probably resort to the latter...After he had squeezed every bit of valuable information from said employee before turning the body over. Arador would speak in his usual vocoded voice, " Sounds simple enough...Anything else to know about the job? Like hiring other hunters? " His last job had involved hunting down an individual and was rudely interrupted by another hunter who apparently was out for the same reward given by his prior contractor. Arador was not to keen on being uninformed about any others also being on the job.

[member="Varik Ice"]

Varik Ice
OouWALC.jpg
Varik leered at the Hunter, seeming almost more curious about his question than interested in answering it. Hiring other hunters? Perhaps Arador was worried about competition; Ice knew only one other bounty hunter that he trusted, at least for the time being, and he certainly wasn't on this job. The two of them were around the same level of guaranteed to get the job done, there was no need to hire both if you already had one.

"You can if you like, but I'd prefer you did this alone." The comment wasn't a jab, but a small sarcasm. A more subtle way of letting the Hunter know that for him, it seemed a silly question to ask. He did understand that the profession was suddenly gaining much more traction and money, and more bounty hunters and mercs were appearing by the day. War would do that, and it was only going to get worse as the war continued.

Ice glanced back at the mining cavern one more time, before he slowly turned to Arador once more. "You should know, the target was militarily trained. He's going to be a decent shot with a blaster, and he'll have a fighter's instincts. He's older and slower than he was, but still a threat." He didn't give Kahn any personal recommendations on how to deal with the target; if he needed it, Varik wouldn't have hired him in the first place.

[member="Arador Kahn"]

S u p e r i o r

Arador shifted his dangling hand and raised it to rest at his belt as he stared at the taller man. His vocoded voice would begin to talk as Varik spoke in what he perceived as sarcasm from the moment it left his lips, "I don't need backup. Last time I had to work with a hunter we were at each other's necks. I prefer to work alone." After Varik's statement of him wanting this done by Arador alone, he had come to the conclusion that anyone who interfered would be killed outright. There would be no warning shots or room for negotiating, just a blaster bolt between their eyes.

There had been a steady increase and demand for quality bounty hunters, but there were also just as many hot shot's thinking they're the best thing the galaxy had ever seen since blue milk. Upstarts never sat well with Arador, and they often never had their careers take off thinking Arador would take a backseat on a job with them. Skill and luck were the only two factors in how well a bounty hunter performed. Arador's reputation for getting the job done has earned him a steady income, though he played both parties whenever it was beneficial to him.

Arador shifted his weight from one foot to the other as Varik went over the details regarding his target. Military training or not, unless this man was a high ranking officer with a long list of decorations and achievements, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Arador was equipped to far outpace and outgun any target in a head-on scenario, and the lack of any remarkable advantages such as the ability to use the Force to keep him alive. " I'll get the job done, just have my credits ready. "

[member="Varik Ice"]

Varik Ice
OouWALC.jpg
Varik gave a quite simple nod back to Arador as he responded, quite pleased on the inside by the Hunter's self-confidence. He was curious more about the plan he might had in mind - perhaps he underestimated his target, but Varik supposed that wasn't really his concern. If Arador got himself killed, he wouldn't need to pay him anyway, so there was no loss for him other than a potentially good Hunter turned out not to be so.

Ice turned around and began walking, back in the direction of the small, prefab office they'd originally met in. "Don't delay." He continued walking without another word, not stopping except to close the office door behind him. He didn't necessarily have faith in Kahn; he had faith in how much he wanted credits, though.

[member="Arador Kahn"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom