Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Beldon-class Gas Mining Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
XuTdnPY.png
cMWnWoo.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Restricted Missions:[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Primary Source:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]PRODUCTION INFORMATION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Classification: Gas Mining/Refinery Platform (Military Space Station)[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Length: 500m[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Width: 175m[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Height: 175m[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Armament: Low (177)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Capital Emplacements[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]4x Heavy[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Tractor Pressors[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], Evenly Spaced (80)[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Launchers (Standard Loadout)[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Point Defenses[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Defenses: Very High[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Ajax Tier 4 Laminate Spaced Armor[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Molecular Shielding[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Redundant Heavy Deflector Shielding[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Boarding[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Tudradium[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Blast Doors w/[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Magnetic Seals[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Cyber Security[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]EMP/Ion[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Hangar: 1 Squadron (Default:[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Fencer Droid Starfighters[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]), 4-6 Shuttles/Transports[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Maneuverability Rating: Very Low[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Speed Rating: Very Low[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Hyperdrive Class: 5.0[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Powerplant/Propulsion[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Hypermatter Reactor[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Ion Engines[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Vernier Ion Thrusters[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Inertial Compensators[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Repulsorlits[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Class 5.0 Hyperdrive[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Avionics[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Communications[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Display/Management[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Miscellaneous[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Strengths:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Excellent defenses, fitted with heavy shielding capable of weathering severe events like planetary energy storms. Though the platform is not meant for combat, in such scenarios Beldons can withstand assault from multiple attack craft and capital ships.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Weaknesses:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Poor speed and maneuverability, being almost immobile.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Low number[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] of armaments, geared toward warding away ships and raiders making boarding attempts.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Slow hyperdrive.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Description:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Beldon-class space stations are mining platforms designed to synthesize [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]tibanna[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] from the atmospheres of planets and interstellar clouds. It is the first such offering by the newly formed Silver Engineering Corporation, with technical assistance provided by KSA.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The mining process begins with tractor beams, used to draw in raw gases and particulates, [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]then are ran through molecular converters to produce various grades of tibanna for civilian and military use. During the refinement process, pressor fields are used to compress the tibanna[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] into more usable liquid and solid states, and these products are in turn maintained by[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] osmotic fields[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] that keep the processed [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]tibanna cooled during transport. In comparison to the standard spin sealing process and carbonite storage practice, the methods used by the Beldon rigs are more energy efficient, creating purer tibanna[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] stock that isn't contaminated by carbonite (which can require additional filtering later).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]In terms of operational costs, the high production efficiency makes the Beldon platforms very competitive against the likes of Cloud City and other mining rigs based on Bespin, which have historically enjoyed the benefit of being able to easily collect and process premium [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]tibanna[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] that's naturally spin sealed. Beldons also have the advantage of being able to operate in very harsh environments like toxic hothouses, giving them a large potential area of operation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The whole platform is largely automated thanks to the use of a memristor-based neural network and droid maintainers, requiring only a small skeletal crew aboard for oversight and security.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]While geared toward the production of [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]tibanna[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], the rigs are just as capable of manufacturing other products like[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] deuterium[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] or[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] helium-3[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], so long as the raw materials are available for conversion.[/SIZE]

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Jyoti Nooran"]
I had to learn that lesson the hard way too.

Anyway on to judgement. A good looking sub, as usual.

However, this is a fairly heavily armed station for being nominally of civilian use, and is in particular *incredibly* heavily armored. Not to mention the hanger bay of four squadrons. Balanced as a 1000m Cruiser it shows on Raz's guide as 'Slightly Overpowered.' That's not inherently an issue, you've got weaknesses in there that help offset it, but it does not read, to me, like a civilian station should.

That's the OOC balance aspect. From an IC perspective I can't help but wonder just how many crew are assigned to this platform and how many of them have military duties. You've got advanced shield systems (not inherently military, I realize) lots of weapons, hanger crew, squadron pilots, etc. Having a CIC (vs. a Control Room) reads like a military platform. A lot of this is fairly nitpicky stuff, but for some comparison your canon examples (Cloud City, etc) had NO armament at all, besides the personnel and Cloud Cars and the like (and the Tibanna platforms were even more defenseless).

Basically at the moment this doesn't look like a mining station, it looks like a military platform that can gas mine.

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"] The heavy armor and shielding is for weathering harsh environments., so I would like to keep that intact. Would this station be more acceptable if I removed the capital emplacements and reduced the squadron size to 1? The station is supposed to be mostly autonomous, with only a skeleton crew and a small security team in place. I will add that in when I make edits.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Jyoti Nooran"]

I can understand the heavy plating and shielding in that instance, though of course Cloud City is not considered exceptionally durable. I think a lot of it comes down to presentation, the description reads very much like that of a warship. It seems something of a trend with space stations is that they need a more distinct purpose than a conventional ship. Perhaps the station was designed as remote platform for use in hostile/otherwise-untapped Tibanna sources? Removing the capital armaments, paring down the hanger, and tailoring the description and features appropriately would definitely help.

By no means are you obligated to go that route, of course. Make whatever edits you see fit and tag me again and I'll give it another look.

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Alright, so I combed through the sub, and removed components that really didn't fit on here as a civilian rig. I decided to keep the capital emplacements as they're non-lethal counters to smaller ships favored by pirates, but wouldn't really do any harm to any large military vessels in some unlikely fleeting scenario. Squadron count has been reduced from 4 to 1.

[member="Jyoti Nooran"]

Jyoti Nooran said:
Hangar: 1 Squadron (Default: Fencer Droid Starfighters), 4-6 Shuttles/Transports
Civilian space stations are not permitted to hold starfighter squadrons in hangars, you can replace this with docking bays for ships to dock at however.

Jyoti Nooran said:
Defenses: Extreme

Jyoti Nooran said:
Armament: Low (353)

Jyoti Nooran said:
Length: 1000m

Jyoti Nooran said:
Production: Mass
These are your defenses & armaments ratings, along with the size and production of your station. Below is what we have as an acceptable example in the starship template for a 5000 meter mass produced civilian station.
3ea17c743e3b4ff0aa2fd1628ea29e8b.png

You can lower your armament at Very Low if your Defenses, and the features lessened to reflect this rating change, are lowered to Low. Otherwise the armaments should be none with only token defenses available, such as the tractor pressors you currently have and quad laser cannons.

Jyoti Nooran said:
L1 Marinus Battle Droids Internal Emplacements
Why are there battle droids posted on a civilian mining station?

[member="Nadja"]

Nadja said:
You can lower your armament at Very Low if your Defenses, and the features lessened to reflect this rating change, are lowered to Low. Otherwise the armaments should be none with only token defenses available, such as the tractor pressors you currently have and quad laser cannons.
I changed the armament rating to none, only having ion cannons. The squadron has been removed.

Nadja said:
Why are there battle droids posted on a civilian mining station?
To provide security, which is the purpose of the Marinus.

[member="Jyoti Nooran"]
I'm so sorry! Re-reading my request I realize I hadn't properly conveyed what I meant in my previous post regarding this quoted text from above:

Nadja said:

What I had meant to convey, which I apologize for not clearly stating this prior, was that your ratings, for both armament and defense, were too high. I was offering a Very Low Armament Rating (rather than none) if defenses were lowered further than what is provided in the template to Low, but what I had intended to state, but failed to do so, was that your defenses needed to be lowered to, at the very most, moderate. I took some time to make the request initially and during the process of looking everything over and compiling the information necessary for my previous post I unintentionally left out the second half of that request.

The issue with the ratings is that civilian and military stations are both reviewed the same (space stations in general are the same classification, whether civilian or military) and the differentiation between the two is that civilian stations must be largely unarmed and with reduced defenses, such as lacking a hangar bay, while being allowed the ability to more than double the maximum size of military space stations, you can picture a Space Dock as an example of this. Conversely, military stations are capable of retaining large hangars, armaments of significant amount, and heavy defenses while having a far lower maximum size permissible, which you can picture something like the Bavos-I military station.

[member="Nadja"] I see the capabilities I want for this station don't gel under the civilian station format, so I'm going to retool this under the military station format, and reduce the dimensions to make this accessible to my intended market. I'll tag you again when I complete the edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom