Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Beginner's Luck

Sorr Kortu

Socially Awkward Smuggler
art-of-solo-star-wars-sabacc.jpg

Planet: Stobar

"Okay time to show these people my immense skill!"

After a long day of Gun Running in the Outer Rim, Sorr decided to make a pit stop and unwind. Sure that pit stop was Stobar: One of the most violent planets in the Outer Rim, but Sorr was a Smuggler so might as well mingle with the rest of the scum. The young man approached the cantina seeing a mix of Droids and people rolling dice, slapping cards on the table and overall having a good time. For the most part......

If Sorr knew something about Sabacc games is that it tends to get toxic. However, it didn't deter the young man. He won plenty of online tournaments when he was a kid. In fact he made enough credits to buy his own Starship but his Dad shut it down before he could do so. "Hello there!" Sorr approached the betting Droid. "I'm here to enter the table! I got my deck!"

Toby Russen Toby Russen

Stobar
Tags: Sorr Kortu Sorr Kortu

“Look, kid, all I’ve got are bounties. Stop asking me about rumors.”

An old Nikto had just told this to Mr. Nine, who was sitting at the bar. The Umbaran explorer was bored out of his mind and desperately wanted an adventure. Alas, nothing but hit jobs. The boring stuff. Nine loved the thrill of dueling, but what did it matter if he couldn’t go to a dangerous and exotic location in the process?

“Bother,” Nine muttered to himself, taking a sip from his non-alcoholic beverage. “A real waste of time, this trip. I’ll die of boredom at this rate.”

He turned, his eyes catching a gambling table in the corner. Perhaps he could kill some time before the job listings were renewed. Nine approached the table, tipping his hat to the droid running the game: Sabacc. A personal favorite of Nine’s. The perfect mix of strategy and luck. He had lots of luck.

“Ahoy there,” Nine greeted, tipping his hat to the droid. “Deal me in, will ya?”

Before long, the Umbaran had taken his place at the table.

Sorr Kortu

An Umbaran walked next to Sorr asking the Droid to deal him in as well. Sorr been around Umbarans during his Dad's visit to the planet and there was always something about Umbarans that were off putting to him. The way looked at Sorr with their pale blue eyes as if they were sizing him up assessing Sorr as a threat. Umbaran society relied on subterfuge and backstabbing to rise up their ranks and throughout the visit, Sorr had a hard time sleeping out of fear that Umbarans would try to slit his throat. It was a silly notion, but the Umbarans would usually like to set up "accidents." This guy was a lot different, he seemed laid back and eager.

"You seem to be eager to get your butt kicked eh?" Sorr chuckled taking out his deck. "Why don't you and have a little game then against the 7-time online Sabacc champion: Sorr Kortu. You might of heard of me."

"I didn't!" The gambling Droid piped in. "Are you going to sit down on the table or are you going to stand because there's a standing fee!"

"Oh!" Sorr chuckled nervously. "Sorry!" He turned to the Umbaran. "So what do ya say?! A game of Correllian Spike?!"

Toby Russen Toby Russen

Stobar

Mr. Nine grinned as he leaned back in his chair. Correllian Spike was the game of risktakers. No notable instances of the game being played were ever proceeded by a small wager. Skill was one thing, but it always came down to luck. Nine considered himself amongst the luckiest in the galaxy.

"Bang on," Nine nodded with a smile. "I like your style, mate. Name's Mr. Nine. You can just call me Nine. Don't have a reputation behind me yet, but I fancy myself a bit of an explorer. Been all kinds of places, and..." the Umbaran paused to readjust his signature hat, "I'm quite fond of taking risks. Unfortunately, I don't have much on me... Well, accept for this."

Nine drew an ornately carved box from his bag, spotted with bits of moss and oxidization. From the look of it, it was incredibly old despite it's well-kept condition. The explorer cracked the case open, revealing the contents within. It was a single dagger with a luminescent green blade sporting a black hilt carved to incredible detail.

"Picked it up a month back," Nine explained with a grin. "Beautiful, ain't it? Apparently it's a Force-imbued blade from what I've been told. Ancient Jedi used these things, at least I think that's what the bloke told me."

Nine leaned forwards, resting his right arm on the table.

"That a fair enough wager for ya?"

Sorr Kortu

It felt good to play Sabbacc again Sorr was so happy at the prospect of playing that he almost forgot that he was on a crime ridden planet known to have quadruple the violence of the lower levels Coruscant. Sorr leaned against the chair while he waited for the other gamblers to take their seats. However, looking around Sorr saw that they weren't interested with playing with a couple of kids. Oh well, their loss. "Mr. Nine huh?" Sorr chuckled. "What is that some sort of nursery show that you play on Holo tv?"

His eyes grew wide when Mr. Nine threw a green blade that radiated a faint green glow. It was simple in design but the way that Mr. Nine described, it was more than meets the eye. "A Force imbued blade eh?" A smirk formed on Sorr's face. "Well then, it'll make a fine addition to my collection. In these times with all the Sith running about, it's best to have something like that in your back pocket."

He was thankful that the Brotherhood was starting to pull back out of the Core Worlds. Sorr didn't hear about the Alliance's attack on Empress Teta, hopefully the bastards were beat back. His Aunt and Uncle needed to be avenged as well as the many other poor souls who perished under the Brotherhood. "It is very cool Mr. Nine but it ain't nothing compared to what I'll put on the line."

Sorr rummaged through his pockets and took out a Kyber Crystal Necklace gently placing it next to the force imbued blade. "That's a piece of a Kyber Crystal," Sorr explained. "Picked it up on Jedha, as you know Jedha was one of the first major battles of the Second Great Hyperspace War. months ago, managed to scavenge this bad boy up. The Jedi are very protective of their Kyber Crystals, that can get me 50k easily."

The young man took out his deck and smiled. "So what do ya think?" he asked.

Toby Russen Toby Russen

Stobar

"Mr. Nine huh?" Sorr chuckled. "What is that some sort of nursery show that you play on Holo tv?"

"A joker, are we?" Nine replied with a grin. He didn't seemed bothered by the remark at all, more amused than anything. "It's a nickname I got at the academy. Was the last of my squad in a drill. I dueled nine blokes that day. None landed a single shot."

Nine wasn't a serious individual, but he knew when to talk himself up. Gambling was one such scenario. The Umbaran liked to let his opponents know that luck was on his side. Part of winning a gamble was being in the head of your opponent. When Sorr drew his wager, Nine's eyes lit up. It was a necklace with a Kyber Crystal fastened to the end of it. It was risky to have Kyber, especially scavenged Kyber. The Jedi were, indeed, very protective of their sacred items. It was a gamble of equal value.

"I'm game," Nine answered with little hesitation. He turned to the gambling droid with a smirk. "I think we're ready to start us a game, if you'll start us." The Umbaran leaned back, his childish smile still glued to his face. "I'm gonna enjoy this."

Sorr Kortu

Sorr took out a small black bag that contained golden dice and spilled it onto the table. They landed softly rolling to the middle of the table. "I bought these bad boys back at Alderaan," Sorr said. "They've always given me good luck."

They were a birthday gift from Sorr's older brother: Dagmar, it was sent through mail due to Dagmar being at the front fighting the Brotherhood. Dagmar gave Sorr words of encouragement, telling him to always follow what his gut tells him and to learn more variants of Sabbacc if he wanted to get better. Dagmar was the one who introduced Sorr to the wonderful game of Sabacc.

"Hold on kids! If you wanna start playin! Then you need a dealer!"

Sorr turned around to see a large Elnacon waltzing in on their table. He wore a large breathing apparatus, and he had four fingered hands. The Elnacon is a large figure his arms were bigger than Mr. Nine's entire body he was covered in fur. "My name is Col Matz," he said plopping himself down between them. "I'll be your dealer for tonight. What you playing? Coruscant Shift?"

"Corellian Spike," Sorr said handing the deck to Col. "And this is a high stakes table."

"Sure it is kid," Col said rapidly shuffling the deck much to Sorr's astonishment.

"It's true!" Sorr said. "We're putting valuable items on the line!"

Toby Russen Toby Russen

Stobar

“Kids, huh?” Nine echoed with a frown. “Guess you just can’t recognize a professional when you see one.” It didn’t take long for Mr. Nine’s grin to return, but the friendliness had vanished from his eyes. “No offense, chap, but I didn’t battle pirates in the Scar Worlds to be spoken down to. My opponent has made it clear that we’re playing a round of Corellian Spike. Think you could kindly do your bloody job?”

Mr. Nine didn’t like to be passive aggressive often, but nobody called him a kid, not in a condescending way. He had worked with the best of the best. Maybe people didn’t know his name just yet, but Nine wasn’t just some ‘kid,’ and he was anything but passive.

“I’ve got a valuable Jedi artifact on the line,” Mr. Nine continued, leaning back in his chair and readjusting his hat. “Almost died gettin’ the bloody thing. Would ya like to share what you’ve done with your week, good sir?”

Mr. Nine knew how to put someone on the spot. He generally liked to have a good time, but his casual demeanor wasn’t to be taken lightly. Weird as he was, you generally wanted to be on his good side.

Sorr Kortu

"Professional or not," Col said distributing the cards towards the two. "You two are still fresh in this kind of business."

Sorr snorted taking a look at his cards. "So what?" He spoke. "We got money and the items, who gives a Womp Rats behind about our youth? In fact, it makes us a big shot around these parts considering that we're good enough to pay our way into the high rollers table."

"Whatever," Col chuckled taking a card from the top of deck and placing it face up. Sorr winked at Mr. Nine while peering at the card being flipped face up.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

"Draw," Sorr said his face expressionless. He gotta make sure to get the right combo to take Mr.Nine out as quick as possible.

Toby Russen Toby Russen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom