Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Be Careful What You Seek

Romano Shamalain

R
To say that an heir of the Shamalain lineage hated the planet of Dantooine would have been a drastic understatement. For as long as he could remember Romano held outright contempt for the planet; the home of his father Jake Daniels Jake Daniels . No the young man did not hate his father; he hated where his father came from. A family that had not cared for him as his Grandmother had. A family that had not nurtured his gifts in the force. Sure rumors were rampant among those close to the remnants of the Shamalains that Jake Daniels parents had resurfaced in the mid-rim and that they themselves were dark force users that used necromancy to prolong their lives. For now that remained rumor. Romano had not found them. What he did discover in one of the many journals his father kept on Honoghr was a name; Evanthea Hinata.

There were dozens of pages that were written in a cipher that Romano did not know. He recognized it. A special coding that his Father used with his troops in the 62nd Marine Light Infantry but the key to the cipher was known by only a few. His Grandmother had passed. His Mother, Cerusia Shamalain, was running about the galaxy with some Jedi Master. All of his fathers troops had been taken by the plague. The only one who knew the cipher was his dad. What Romano did not like was secrets. Jake was not the type to keep secrets from anyone in the family. Why then were the words on these pages hidden? Why were they written in script only he could read?

Long and hard Romano had searched for this Thea Hinata, apparently a daughter of a Jedi Master that his father had gone to war against ages prior. It was during a search for his own mother that he received a ping. While near the core worlds his droid had picked up a transmission that a Jedi Master by the name Thea Hinata had landed upon Dantooine. Reluctantly the man changed course. Answers would be had. So here stood Romano Shamalain, on a planet he cursed and outside the ruins of a temple he cared nothing for. Ancient Jedi, ancient sith; both were garbage in his eyes. Yet it held something he sought.

It held her within. Romano could feel her. The presence of a very powerful Jedi Master that roamed its dusty, worn down, halls.

“Stay with the ship GG. Keep scanning for signs of my Mother. Do a secondary search for my Father. I have a feeling I will need to speak to him soon.” Romano ordered.

“Sir, shall I contact your brother?” GG-6L asked.

The purple protocol droid was a new acquisition by Romano; a pickup from some backwater world to aid him as he flew about the galaxy. So far the Droid had proven a valuable investment. In essence, she had become a Godsend when it came to aiding Romano in his searches. With the droid the searching could be doubled. The Droid also gave him someone to talk too on long flights.

“No. I will contact him once I have more information.” Romano replied.

“Understood Sir. Be safe.” GG-6L replied.

The Droid wandered back up the ramp to his small freighter while Romano headed towards a small opening into the ruins. Careful to not touch anything as he entered, the Shamalain heir was astounded at just how vast the ancient Enclave was. Sure he cared little for Jedi and Sith but boy could he admire their structures. Normally it would have been hell to try and find someone in what amounted to a large maze. The force went two ways however. Just as he could feel the presence of the Jedi Master, she undoubtedly could feel his as well. She would also know he was by no means a user of the light side.

Though beams of sunlight did break through and illuminate to a degree it was not to Romanos liking. Lifting his saber the man flicked the crimson blade to life and came to a stand near an edge which overlooked a gaping chasm where the bottom of the enclave had once been. Red bathed the old stone floor and pillars in a sea of red, casting away shadows that had for so long claimed this sacred place. Beneath the vast darkness below, Romano could make out small details of hidden rooms and passageways. Had he any interest in archeology the man would have been like a child on life-day morning. However he did not. All that mattered was family and family alone.

“I am Lear Shamalain.” Romano did not use his first name. He never did with non-family.

His voice echoed through the halls of the enclave.

Knowing she probably knew nothing of him, Romano decided to toss out some bait to draw the Jedi Master out.

“I am son to Jake Daniels, Hand to the Mal’Ary’Ush of Honoghr.”

Romano’s voice again echoed through the halls of the enclave. If this woman had any significance to his father perhaps she would show herself. The man would hate to have to search around in such a filthy place.

Evanthea Hinata

E
Endless searching could drive someone mad. Had Thea allowed herself to feel such things she might have been angry at Jake Daniels. It had been four years since she cast eyes upon her son. She wasn't the type for attachments per say, but she couldn't hlep but worry something tragic had happened. So far Gravis had kept his end of the deal and always left word when the child would go off world. True he wasn't a child anymore, but as far as she knew his father hadn't allowed him to travel alone yet. The Dantooine enclave had been the place Thea and Jake had started their search for Hawk all those years ago. It was a long shot and as it turned out a wild goose chase.

That is until she felt the presence of a darksider. Her eyes turned a deep curious purple, changing color as always with her mood and fluctuations with the Force. It was a trait all Hinata had.

“I am son to Jake Daniels, Hand to the Mal’Ary’Ush of Honoghr.”

She had not been aware that Jake had any other children, though it shouldn't surprise her. Only the Jedi repressed emotions and attachment. Sith were free to love who they chose.

"Are you looking for a fight? If not I suggest you deactivate your weapon."

She had indeed appeared, stepping out of a small room and casting her curious eyes upward where the red glow of a saber was.

Romano Shamalain

Romano Shamalain

R
So she appeared like a ghost upon the wind. Her steps had been as silent as a feather falling upon water. Her eyes were as sharp as a hawk eyeing prey. Staring down upon the Jedi Master, Romano moved his blade to cast the glow so that he could illuminate more of her. It was not to stare but to size up. Romano was not stupid. He wanted to see just how armed she was and if by chance someone or something else was with her. He saw nothing and no one. Undoubtedly she had a lightsaber of some sort upon her person yet she had not drawn it. Her words did raise the young mans defenses though.

“Easy, Love. I am not accustomed to such dreary places. Only using it for illumination.” Romano replied as he continued to look down upon her.

“I’ll put this away if you come up here so we can have a wee bit of a chat?” Romano’s statement was ended with the emphasis of a question.

A man of his word Romano put his saber away. He clipped it to the small of his back, a habit his own father had. As the Jedi Master made her way towards Romano, for brief moments escaping his gaze, he continued to speak.

“I do apologize if my approach is a bit forward. I normally would avoid this planet with every fiber of my being. When my droid had learned you landed here I had no choice but to come meet you.” Romano explained.

“I received word from Honoghr that my Fathers been disappearing for extended periods as of late. This time he has not returned home however. As hand to the Mal’Ary’Ush that raises concern. For our family; that is unacceptable. I need to find him as it is not like him to just vanish like this. I was investigating his home and came across journals he had hidden away when I found one that was written in a cipher he has not used in a very long time.” Romano explained.

As the Jedi Master came into view, now on the same level as Romano, the man continued.

“He has an entire journal dedicated to Evanthea Hinata, to which I presume is you? A journal dedicated to you and filled with secrets. My Father has never kept secrets from us; or so I thought. I want to find him to first ensure he is not in any trouble and then second to ask him what is in that journal.” Romano continued.

“If you are this Evanthea Hinata, then perhaps you can tell me where my Father is. He has a lot of explaining to do.”

Evanthea Hinata

E
“Easy, Love. I am not accustomed to such dreary places. Only using it for illumination.”

"Might I suggest a glowstick then?"
Ever the Jedi master, Thea was patient, wise, but not to be trifled with. She sensed no dishonesty in the man however so she did as he asked and approached the high ground that he had claimed. He spoke to her during her trek and she opted to lilsten rather than talk in order to save her breath for the climb. She was surprised to find that this encounter had been on purpose and that it was she he sought, not a random Jedi.

When she reached him she stared at him, calculating and stoic. "It seems the Force has brought us together then for I too am searching for Jake Daniels." Her eyes returned to an easy and calm brown, perhaps what most would consider their natural form.

"Unfortunately I do not have his location. I've been searching on my own, hopeful I could find him without having to resort to other measures. It appears that wish will not be granted though."

She cast her eyes upon the ruins of the enclave, lost in memories of when she had been searching for her own father.

"There is an ex-Nightsister who owes me a favor. I can ask for a location spell. It was to be my final destination if this detour had not panned out. If you are willing to transport me to Spira I will help you find Jake Daniels."

Thea had preferred to leave the old witch out of it, but her back was against the wall. The hag had retired to the resort world after exile to sell trinkets and gizmos to tourists.

Romano Shamalain

Romano Shamalain

R
No name.

No acknowledgement as to her identity.

She was a cautious Jedi.

This only added to the intrigue that Romano held at the moment. This woman, whom he assumed to be this Hinata woman, was looking for his Father as well. If a Jedi Master was looking for his father and had no luck, then truly Jake did not want to be found. Why? If he was in trouble who had him? If not, where the hell did he go?

Romano’s eyes followed the Master’s gaze. Dantooine. A Jedi Enclave. It would have been an ironically perfect place for Jake to hide out had he wanted too. No one outside apparently two people in the galaxy would had the idea to come to a world that even Jake avoided these days.

When the Jedi mentioned a Nightsister, Romano’s nose crinkled just a bit.

“Ex-nightsister? I didn’t know one could leave the Nightsisters?” Romano asked curiously.

“I only ask as my father had spent time on Dathomir studying under some Cliff Clan. Never mentioned Sister’s leaving their clans.” Romano motioned for the Master to follow.

He, of course, took lead which meant the Jedi had the rear. She had the position of power between the two of them. It was what little Romano could offer to truly give assurance that he meant no harm. As they emerged into the Dantooine sunlight, Romano’s ship came into immediate view. A VCX-100 styled light-freighter, it was nothing spectacular to look at but it did its job.

“I can only imagine why you would be looking for him. Normally Jedi avoid the man that had been trained to hunt and take down the strongest of their ranks. To have one actually search for him is surprising unless…”
Romano hit the hatch button once both he and Thea had boarded the ship. The ramp hissed as it closed but the Knight immediately drew himself close to the Jedi.

“You are the one he has been hiding from us.” Romano’s eyes questioned as he gave her a proper look over. She was around his father’s age; which meant that the journal was from a time shortly before Jake met Cerusia.

“Come. I’ll take you to Spira but I have something I need to show you first.” Romano said as he took a step back and headed for the gally.

"Sir, you return... with a guest." His Droid said.

“Hello, I am GG…”

“That’s enough, GG. Get my Father’s journals please. Then set a course for Spira.” Romano ordered.

“Yes Sir.”

Romano motioned for the dining table where a series of star charts were spread out. It was not long until GG returned and placed the journals on the table. Quietly the droid left to begin the flight leaving both Romano and the Jedi in privacy.

“I’ve gone over the various planets my father has been known to frequent in his life. I’ve even gone to ones few know of. No one has seen him. Even if we haven’t there is always a clue he leaves behind and yet… nothing this time.” Romano explained.

“That was until I found these.” Romano motioned to the journals.

“My father writes everything down as he fears forgetting. Each journal is a segment of his life. The first few are of his years serving my Grandmother and his war with the Jedi. Then there is this one.” Romano handed a leather bound book to the Jedi.

“If you open it, the first page has the name Evanthea Hinata. Everything else is in cipher. Its a code he developed during his time serving in the Sith Military. I’m not able to crack it.” Romano said as he studied the Jedi’s face. “I was hoping it held clues as to where he might be but I also believe it holds secrets about a life he did not tell us about. I believe you know what those secrets are in there, even if you cannot break the cipher. I’m correct, aren’t I, Master Hinata? That book is entirely about you. As you can see some of the pages have fresh ink which means he only recently wrote in it again. I can only wonder why out of all of the journals he has, that particular one is still written in.”

Evanthea Hinata

Evanthea Hinata

E
“Ex-nightsister? I didn’t know one could leave the Nightsisters?”

"They generally can't, which is why this particular one owes me a favor." She had helped the woman renounce the darkside and leave The Coven alive. If her involvement was ever detected that would make Thea a target, but as a Jedi she felt it was her duty to help if someone wanted to leave the path of darkness.

When they boarded the ship and the man came close, almost with an accusation and question on his face Thea stood her ground. She was not intimidated easily like some Jedi were. She simply looked at him, passively. It was possible Jake was hiding from her, though she couldn't really understand why he would. She hadn't seen him in a long time. They generally kept their child in one place and took turns visiting but never at the same time so as not to arouse suspicion in either the Sith or the Jedi. Since there was no contact between them she couldn't see why he'd hide from her, but given he had taken the child it was a possibility she supposed.

The journals were surprising. Thea hadn't really gotten to know Jake that well when they were together. The affair had been a moment of weakness that she atoned for daily. It hadn't been a love story or anything of the sort and Thea had been wracked with guilt about it. Of course the Jedi were more open now, allowing relationships and even children, but at the time it had been a bit taboo, especially for traditionalists like Hawk Hinata. Ironic, considering Thea herself was the product of a marriage between two Jedi.

The son was questioning her. He was curious and eager to learn the secrets someone was trying to withhold. Thea understood, but a secret child wasn't really a secret if she blabbed about it to just anybody.

"I am Thea. Your father and I are old acquaintances. He helped me search for another missing person almost two decades ago. I'm afraid I know little of his journalism habits. " She took the book from him and flicked through a few pages. "My guess is he didn't trust me to hold up an old arrangement we had made. He must have been keeping tabs on me in case I betrayed him. A wise precaution, even if it wasn't needed." She wasn't sure what other reason the man would have for writing about her and though she could go into a sordid story of a secret child and betrayal of faith she figured there must be a reason that Jake did not want Romano to know about his half brother. Until she knew what that reason was she would lean towards protecting her own son and staying silent on the matter.

Romano Shamalain

Romano Shamalain

R
“Old arrangement?” Romano question with a perk to his brow; a Daniels family trait.

“I take it that you won’t be telling me what that arrangement is. My only hope of figuring out where he went or what he’s up too is your Nightsister or this journal.” Romano added as he flipped through the cryptic pages.

“Sir. The ship is on course to Spira and will arrive within a few hours.” GG said as the feminine droid entered the galley.

“Good. Take this journal and start scanning old Sith military codes again. Go back seven centuries. After that... try old Jedi codes; see if you find anything from around the time of the Great Hyperspace Wars. He learned this cipher from someplace. Once we know where then we should be able to crack it.” Romano ordered.

“Yes Sir.” GG took the book and wandered off to one of the ships few consoles.

Romano turned back to Thea. She was beautiful and strong. He could see that in her features. The freckles were the cutest thing Romano could see about her. Did his Father and her... no... there was no way Jake Daniels would ever have fallen for a Jedi. Not a chance. Even Romano knew that. One of Jakes oldest rules was never sleep with the enemy. Thea was enemy to him; was she not?

“I always thought I knew my Fathers deepest secrets. It’s hard to fathom that he would hide anything from the time before he met my Mother. I can only wonder if my Grandmother knew.” Romano spoke to himself in a tone of disbelief as his fingers traced through a couple of the journals that spoke of the war with the Jedi... and then the Sith Council.

“Thea there is something you need to know about my Father. I am uncertain of how long it’s been since you’ve last had contact with him but he’s different now.” Romano said as his eyes lifted to the Jedi Master.

“After my Brother and I were resurrected we learned that he ha discovered our Mother had been too. Unfortunately her memory hadn’t fully returned and now she lives a life with a Jedi herself. My Father was essentially shunned. My Grandmother, his Master, soon after passed and so he’s been adrift. I knew he was slipping but I thought his role on Honoghr would suffice. I guess I was wrong.” Romano explained.

“I tell you this because the man my Brother and I saw when we reawoke was different than before. He was broken. Defeated. He had nothing and no one. He is not Jedi. He is not Sith. He’s essentially nobody these days. He became obsessed with protecting what little family he had left. Mainly myself and my brother and our extended family. When I say obsessed; I mean way off the deep end obsessed. He may be personally defeated and broken but that means he is a man with nothing to lose.” Romano said.

He was not telling Thea anything more than she needed to know. Just as he had no doubts she was keeping things hidden from the Shamalain heir, he too would keep things from her. She only need to know enough to at the very least prepare and protect herself. Romano has a feeling Jake was not going to be too happy to be found out; again that was if he was not in any danger.

“Can I ask you a question? Why would a family member to a man my Father despised go to him for help? At the time wasn’t he known as Darth Gravis, enemy of the Jedi Order, or had my Grandmother not yet bestowed that name?” Romano questioned.

Ok perhaps Romano was just a bit more curious than even he thought.

Evanthea Hinata

Evanthea Hinata

E
“I always thought I knew my Fathers deepest secrets. It’s hard to fathom that he would hide anything from the time before he met my Mother. I can only wonder if my Grandmother knew.”

Thea could sense how curious the young man was. Youth was always full of curiosity. Only in age did one learn that they need not know everything to survive this galaxy. It was a hard lesson and one this young man still needed to learn. "A man has a right to secrets. Do not confuse secrecy with disdain. I'm sure your father cares deeply for you. It's always hard for children to accept that their parents have separate lives than the family, but your father was young once too and so he has history the same as you do."

Wow, even to her ears that sounded old and Jediish. She couldn't turn it off sometimes. The droid announced that they were on the way and there seemed no immediate danger so Thea had a seat, feeling a bit more comfortable with the company.

“Can I ask you a question? Why would a family member to a man my Father despised go to him for help? At the time wasn’t he known as Darth Gravis, enemy of the Jedi Order, or had my Grandmother not yet bestowed that name?”

Thea shrugged at his question. "Is it so difficult to imagine a scenario in which two people have similar goals despite different paths in life? Are you and I not on a quest of that very sort right at this moment?" She watched him, wondering if he would comprehend the lesson she was trying to give, but she knew the young man was hungry for answers. She sighed.

"Your father was searching for the same person I was. He was not completely honest with me when we started the search so I was unable to be as selective in my quest." It wasn't much, but it was something and when someone was so desperate for answers every little bit helped.

His story about the hardships his family faced washed over her, but she remained quite stoic. Thea was hardly a bleeding heart, but she was human and she did wish that the people of the galaxy could be happy, even Gravis. "Perhaps your father needs you more than even he knows. I'm certain that of all the people in the galaxy his children must be some comfort to him." When this was over she imagined Jake might go back with his son, whom also had a brother it seemed. Perhaps surrounding himself with family would help. She did not know and truly it wasn't her place to care. She wished him no malice of course, but Thea was hardly a social worker. This little detour was probably about as close to being attached as she would allow herself to be, and even now she had her regrets about it.

Her eyes turned a shade of hazel, a guilty color, and she pursed her lips together. Perhaps it was unwise to take this journey. She was supposed to be without attachment to mortal life, and yet here she was checking up on a son who never should have existed. She blinked and tried to push the thought away. She was committed to the journey now and she would just have to repent for her sins at a latter time.

Romano Shamalain

Last edited by a moderator:

Romano Shamalain

R
Romano chuckled at her last statement. Did his children bring Jake Daniels comfort? Of course. Romano and Lysander both knew that. The man had been their Master in their youths. Besides the Noghri, Jake had taught them how to fight with a lightsaber. Romano had learned to survive based on the experiences his father gave him. All while his father focused on family. Every action Jake did always revolved around family in some aspect. Is that was this disappearance was about? Family?

“Shamalains do not keep secrets from one another. When my father married into our family the expectation was that my mother and grandmother knew everything about him. For him to hide something from them, something that involved you, to such an extent is abnormal of the man I thought I knew.” Romano said.

Jake Daniels was not a blood Shamalain. Romano knew his father always had viewed himself as an outsider. A protector and guardian before a father and husband. He was obsessed with their safety; a testament to the training his Grandmother had instilled in him. Perhaps his Grandmother had been too skilled in her methods. Jake was family though. He was a Shamalain; more than just by name. Just as Romano was a Daniels, whatever that meant, their lines were blended. As a Shamalain, Jake should not have held secrets.

“To be honest I am surprised my father pulled a fast one on a Jedi; even shockingly more, a Hinata. You must not have been around when he fractured your order. The man could not enter Jedi territory for years without someone spotting him. Even if they did not know his birth nor Darth names, I thought all Jedi knew his face.” Romano explained.

This Jedi Master was proving to be more of a curiosity than anything. Romano could not trust her; not with how elusive she was being. He would need to be as careful with her as she was of him.

“Sir. We have received a ping request from your Brother. Should I respond?” GG said.

“Of course. Do not delay or he’ll know somethings up.” Romano replied.

GG disappeared back to leave the two force users in privacy once again.

“Something to drink?” Romano stood and walked to a cupboard where he pulled out a couple of mugs.

As he fiddled with the drinks he decided to speak of his brother.

“My Brother and I are as close as one would expect. He’s always looked out for me when my father was around. It seems even in adulthood he still does. That or he can sense something is off with me. Our bond was forged in our youth; ironically by the man that hides from us.” Romano said.

“Tell me something; when we find my father what exactly do you plan to do? He’s not exactly the type to just give answers to people who demand them. You know how stubborn he can be, don’t you? So if he doesn’t give you want you seek from him then what will be your next move?”

It was threat assessment time. Sure she seemed like a calm Jedi but if stories of war-mongering Hinatas were to be true then she would undoubtedly have a fuse like them. Afterall do we not all carry the sins of our family?

"By chance have you ever fought with or against my father?"

Evanthea Hinata

Evanthea Hinata

E
Thea listened while Romano mused. It seemed a lot of what he was saying was a way to vent frustrations over his father keeping secrets. When he spoke of his brother Thea did wonder why Jake had never talked about their own son. Perhaps two half brothers would have been beneficial to Jack? There must have been a reason why Jake didn't trust his new family, or perhaps he was just living up to the arrangement that he and Thea had? She wasn't sure, but it made her wonder if Romano was really trustful or if perhaps Jake was hiding something else.

“Tell me something; when we find my father what exactly do you plan to do? He’s not exactly the type to just give answers to people who demand them. You know how stubborn he can be, don’t you? So if he doesn’t give you want you seek from him then what will be your next move?”

This question was difficult to answer. Perhaps that showed on Thea's face because her eyes did shift colors again. She frowned, wondering how to explain that Jake was the only person in the galaxy that she lost her composure with. Gravis was always able to bring out a side of her that she knew should not exist, and that was perhaps a problem. Or maybe her father and mother would have been happy that she had found someone? They had both been married several times had they not? They both still served the Jedi Order with duty and honor. Was it possible that her beliefs were outdated? The Jedi and the Sith would never see eye to eye of course, but the galaxy was no longer at full scale war the way it had been when she had first met Jake. His own son even said he was not a Sith anymore. Did that mean their ideologies could work together more easily now? Or would Hawk find it a betrayal that his daughter had bed the man who betrayed him all those years ago? Perhaps Thea was more afraid of disappointing Hawk Hinata than she ever was of having an attachment the Jedi did not want her to have.

She drifted into thought for a moment, imagining a family and laughter, with barbecues like the ones her own parents had thrown for her and her siblings. Absentmindedly, she drank the beverage provided and finally snapped herself out of this fantasy. Immediately she felt guilty and confused. Why was Gravis able to cause such emotions in her? He wasn't even in the room!

Romano was expecting an answer so Thea had to force herself to come back to the present moment.

"We have never fought one another. We are not enemies. Honestly I just want to make sure he's okay. It's been a while since I heard from him so I'm concerned."

She could sense that he did not trust her. Even his questions were assessing if she was really some assassin sent to destroy Jake. Family seemed important to Romanto, and perhaps Jake had instilled that value in him. She'd have to give him something or he might end the mission right now and not take her to the Witch. Of course she could find another way there but considering time could be crucial and Jake and Jack could be in danger Thea did not want that. She sighed in a resigned sort of way and met Romanos eyes. She wanted him to know she was being truthful, or at least as truthful as she could be right now.

"Your father was the last person I know of to be with my son. I am trying to find my child."

Romano Shamalain

Last edited by a moderator:

Romano Shamalain

R
Those words felt as stale as day old bread to Romano Lear Shamalain. The young man was always quick with his whit, faster in his thought, and by no means a fool. Yet those words were not expected. Romano could do nothing but sit and stare at Evanthea Hinata, with her ever changing iris’ which he would need to ask about later. He was frozen as his mind struggled to comprehend what she just said. To a layman it was just words. To Romano, something in what were now heavily weighted words as he began to process them, ate at him. He stood and paced as his mind tried to process and comprehend.

“You are concerned with my father’s well being. A Jedi concerned for him? My father had tried joining those tree-hugging Silvers and they turned their back on him. My father and Jedi are like oil and water. They never mix…” Romano said as his eyes turned back to Thea.

His voice had trailed off as he failed to finish his final sentence.

“My father is hiding. You believe him to be with your Son. Why would he be with a Jedi’s child?” Romano asked himself aloud.

The answer was right there. It was blatantly staring the young man in the face yet he failed to make the connection; whether ignorantly consciously or subconsciously. His mind just would not make the leap that was so easy to connect like the final piece to a puzzle.

“The only time he has ever hidden a child was with my Brother and I while he trained us. The Galaxy had heard rumors of our existence but most never had never met us. He kept it that way to ensure that like him, we were ghosts. How strong is your son Master Hinata?” Romano explained; now both talking and reasoning with himself while also addressing Thea.

“He only goes this deep into hiding for two reasons. He is either incredibly injured or there is a threat to his family that he feels he needs to handle. He does so by pulling the threatened family member close and protecting them; all while training them hard. Like he had with my Brother and I before the plague.” Romano said.

He finished his drink and rubbed his face vigorously. Thea had given him everything and still his mind refused to connect the dots. He turned back to Thea to address the first part of his prior statement.

“My father is human, unlike my Brother and I. He was awoken from cryo-sleep by a Sith. Unfortunately the waking was marred with poor execution which affected his kidneys and liver. They were damaged as when the flash unfreezing occured, the person waking him did not ensure he thawed properly. If that’s gotten worse, perhaps he has pulled himself back to ensure people can’t find him. Even in this era there are those that want him dead. But…” Romano again took his seat opposite of Thea.

GG was heard over the comm of the ship, ‘Sir we have arrived at Spira. Would the Master Jedi prefer to pilot us from this point?’

Romano’s head tilter, “... that doesn’t explain why he has your son. He would only trust family to ensure his well-being. He would only protect family. I need answers as I am struggling to understand everything you just said; even if you only spoke such few words.”

He changed the topic, “You think this Witch of yours can actually locate him?”

Evanthea Hinata

E
She had thought telling him this was a mission of family would help ease his mind but it only seemed to create a thousand more questions. Thea shook her head and sighed. This young man needed to learn patience and privacy. Perhaps part of it was his culture but she couldn’t imagine not being able to have a single private moment in your life. He seemed to expect that of his father.

She gave the droid the coordinates and eventually they touched down. The world was breathtaking, filled with sandy beaches and beautiful oceans. It was the ideal place for a vacation. She shielded her eyes against the sun as they left the space port and started their walk among the streets. Vendors were everywhere, trying to sell them food or trinkets. They mostly focused on him since Thea was wearing traditional Jedi attire that screamed she wasn’t about to buy a sand bead necklace.

They reached a small shabby looking shop and walked in. A droid buzzed by, no doubt looking for shoplifters.

“Welcome! What interesting things can I.....”

The former nightsister stopped short when she saw Thea. Her eyes narrowed and immediately the smile left her face.

“Master Jedi. Why are you here disrupting my business?”

Thea didn’t seem at all detoured by the rudeness. She was holding a necklace up to the light in interest and took a moment to answer.

“I am looking for someone. I thought maybe you could help. “

“Oh you did? I suppose I have no choice in the matter?”

Thea shrugged and put the necklace down.

“I do not work for free!”

“We will buy then.”
She handed the necklace to the witch, who scowled and lead them into a back room.

“I need something this person has spent a lot of time with.”

“This is his son.”

“Very well. I’ll need your blood child. “

Romano Shamalain

Romano Shamalain

R
Witches.

Romano did not trust Witches.

Sure his father had dealings with them but Romano was fully aware of what a Dathomiri Witch was capable of. He knew of their ideology towards men and more importantly their ideology towards the force itself. Some Witches were known for draining the very life from those they so saw fit too. Here a Jedi Master was leading him into a proverbial lions den.

Romano listened quietly as Thea conversed with the Witch, who seemed less than happy to see the Jedi Master. A smirk crossed his face as it seemed Thea was just as much of a people person as Jake. Yes Thea was polite but perhaps there was some bite behind the refined nature of the Master Jedi.

As Thea handed over a necklace, something the Witch reluctantly took, it was explained that they were looking for someone and needed the Witches help. When the conversation turned towards Romano the man took a step back.

“I am Lear Shamalain.” Romano said introducing himself.

“I know of you Dathomiri Witches. Even if you are not on Dathomir I still know how dangerous you can be. Don’t try anything…” It was evident the young man was unnerved. Why? Because of the request.

“You want my blood?” His eyes shifted back and forth between Thea and the Witch.

“I’ll give it to you under one condition. It gets destroyed the minute you do what you need to. Not a scrap of it left in your possession.” Romano said.

“So be it.” The Witch replied with a scowl.

Romano took a small knife that was handed to him by the Witch and opened his left palm. His eyes looked to Thea, as if having a moment of distrust even in the Jedi. Was this a trap? Was this Jedi screwing with him? This was a massive leap of faith that Romano was taking and the young man would never forget what he did here today.

The Witch slid a wooden bowl beneath his hand as the steel tore through the flesh. Blood poured from his palm and pooled below. Setting the knife down, the Shamalain took a small cloth off a nearby shelf and wrapped his palm. Clenching his fist he did his best to close the wound. Lifting the knife, he wiped the blood clean from the blade before handing it back.

“Are you sure you can find him?” Romano asked.

Evanthea Hinata

Evanthea Hinata

E
“Are you sure you can find him?”

The Witch was waving her hands over the bowl of blood and muttering under her breath. She closed her eyes as if deep in thought. After a moment or two she opened her eyes and frowned. "Chandrila? Does this location seem important to either of you?"

Thea watched with a smirk on her face. Once you took away the razzle and dazzle this Dathomiri magic wasn't that impressive. Still she was glad to finally have a location.

She reached out and took the bowl from the Witch, handing it to Romano so he could see that it was destroyed. The Witch narrowed her eyes, but looked as if she didn't dare defy this.

"For the necklace."
She handed over some credits and the Witch handed her back the necklace. Thea half smiled and motioned for Romano to follow her out of the shop. The Witch glared at her back the whole way, until she spoke at the very last moment.

"Be warned. The area is heavily guarded. It seems this is another person who never wishes to see your face, Master Jedi."

Thea grunted and looked over her shoulder. "Until next time then."

Once she and Romano were out into the sunlit street things seemed more cheerful. "I can heal your hand if you want? I'm sorry that was necessary. Dathomiri magic is a bit crude."

Romano Shamalain

Romano Shamalain

R
Suspicious and skeptical of the Witch as she began to perform her spell. Whatever magic she used, whatever images she saw Romano garnered to nothing more than parlor tricks. It was evident this woman did not want the Master Jedi in her establishment. The young man had a feeling that they were on nothing more than a wild goose chase with no end in sight at this point; that was until the Witch spoke of one particular planet.

“You said Chandrila?” Romano said as he offered his wounded handed to the Jedi Master.

Who was the man to turn down free aid?

As his hand was healed by Thea, Romano’s mind was already fast at work putting together puzzle pieces. Of every planet in the world that he had ventured too, Chandrila had been one. Of course he had gone only to look for his Mother. If his Father was there then Romano was either completely oblivious to it or there was something else at play here.

“Let’s step outside.” Romano said to Thea.

Holding the bowl Romano he walked with Thea as he spoke.

“I think you and I both know my father is an incredibly suspicious man. From what I know, when he was given command of a Sith Legion, the 62[SUP]nd[/SUP], he did not keep them on Korriban nor any other Sith World. He set up his base in what was at the time enemy territory. He was a viper; hidden among the enemy. He was on Chandrila. He developed a base there; guised at the time as a steel labor union. It worked. Jedi never raised an eyebrow because my father was never around. They couldn’t sense the Darkside there. The Sith had no idea where this random Apprentice had taken an entire Legion and even if they did; should they go to Chandrila to try and take it back, it would have sparked another war with the Jedi. One thing you have to give to my father; he is a brilliant strategist.” Romano explained.

As they passed an open barbeque, flames pouring out to roast some sort of swing, Romano tossed in his bowl. He drew a disgusted look from the Roaster who in turn drew no further attention from the Shamalain heir.

“My father is also a creature of habit. He would go where he felt safe. Chandrila is one of only a handful of worlds he ever felt such. I should have suspected it.” Romano said.

It was not long until they were back onto his ship to which Romano and Thea made their way to a console GG sat at.

“GG – Begin a search of Chandrila for the following names. Jake Daniels.” Romano ordered.

The droid was fast with its analysis.

“No sign of a Jake Daniels, Sir.”

“Try Darth Gravis.”

“No sign of a Darth Gravis.”

“Try just Gravis.”

“No sign of a Gravis.”

“Damn.” Romano snorted.

The young man did not know all of his fathers assumed names. The former Sith had used a variety and even if he had that list it would probably take months to weed through them all.

“Thea.” Romano said as he looked back.

“What’s your Son’s name. Maybe I can find where they are by locating where your Son landed. Triangulate that with what my father would need. My father does not do apartments, so he’d be on an estate. Heavily guarded means a large estate.” Romano explained.

Evanthea Hinata

Evanthea Hinata

E
Thea walked along while Romano mused even more questions. His mind was certainly active and she wondered if he would even be able to quiet it the way Jedi taught in these situations. There were so many ways of doing things in this galaxy, and Thea was the opposite of Romano. He was fired up and questioning but she simply glided serenely at his side, toying with the necklace she had purchased.

They made it to the ship and Romano set his droid to work. Thea took a seat to examine the necklace she had purchased more closely. She seemed lost in concentration as she slipped the small crystal portion of the necklace off. She pulled out a vibroblade while the droid search, and with careful precision she sliced the small crystal in two. She held each piece up to the light until finally she saw what she was looking for. In tiny writing was the merchants tax code.

“His name is Jack but he is no one of importance so I doubt they would use his name. Have your droid look for merchant IEE-7789-KT4.”

She waited until the droid had returned results of a jewelry store in the north eastern quadrant of the planet.

“I think we should start there. This crystal belonged to my own father. Jake had it refashioned as a necklace to give to me, before it was lost. Odds are he does his shopping near his home. Or at least the merchant may be able to point us in the right direction.”

The purchase had not been random after all. Thea has recognized the necklace hanging in the window. Perhaps it was the will of the Force that she be reunited with her son on this journey. She’d like to think so anyway. Thea was an excellent tracker. It had always been one of her skills and was one of the reasons she had lead the hunt for a lot of war criminals back in the day. She had taught her own son some of the trade, but she wondered how much Jake knew of her abilities? Would he be surprised to see her or did he know it was only a matter of time?

Romano Shamalain

Romano Shamalain

R
Romano eyed the necklace with incredibly suspicion. What Thea said could not be true. His father would never give a gift to a Jedi, would he? If so, why? Had Thea done something so great that Jake Daniels had felt obligated to return the favor in some way. It rubbed him wrong; so much so his skin almost felt itchy.

GG was focused on her console. Fingers moved with a speed that was nearly a blur to a humans gaze. Her eye’s analyzed the flashing bits of data that appeared just as quickly. The Droid may have been an older model but she had proven to be a key asset for the Shamalain heir. As she typed, looking for any sign of the names given, nothing was discovered. However when the Master Jedi had mentioned a merchant and gave either a name or identification code, GG began a search. Romano did not need to give the instruction.

“Searching for IEE-7789-KT4.” GG said.

Romano took the pilots seat, watching the blur of lights that was hyperspace just outside the cockpits windows.

“Jack Hinata, huh?” Romano said.

“No offense but it doesn’t roll off the tongue.”

Romano’s statements were meant to try and lighten the mood. He had no doubt that they were most likely going to be walking into a highly stressful situation. Actually, as Romano sat and pondered on his father, he could only wonder if Jake ever had any situation that was not stressful. His father had a way of getting under peoples skin; which was either a testament to his ability to understand someone or his ability to be an irritating bugger.

Maybe it was a bit of both.

“It still bugs me that my father would just poof on the family. Secrets or not. Its even more surprising that he’s managed to get some heavy security, if the Witch was right.” Romano said, half speaking to Thea and half speaking to himself.

“Even if he’s hiding my father is a creature of habit. He’ll do what’s comfortable to him. He’d used soldiers; not droids. They wouldn’t be force sensitive either but strong willed enough to not be influenced by a Jedi or Sith.” Romano turned to Thea to explain in more detail.

“When he led the 62[SUP]nd[/SUP], he culled the Legion. Only strong willed soldiers who were quick with a blaster and faster with their mind were allowed in his service. They were the best of the best in their time. If he has Guards I’d expect no less of them. Man is picky as hell. Be prepared. If they don’t know who you or I are they may be on shoot first orders. If we kill them then we’d definitely have my father to deal with. Your Son, was he a user of the light side like you?” Romano asked.

GG was heard from her console, “Sir. Master Jedi. Merchant IEE-7789-KT4 has been located. I can confirm that within an hours distance of IEE-7789-KT4 are several large estates. I am unable to penetrate the local home titles to discern identities of the owners. Electronic security in this area of the sector is unusually strong. It would take me several hours to break.”

“Don’t worry about it, GG. By the time you break through we’d already have spoken to Thea’s merchant. Are you able to tell us if there is any potential threats in the area?” Romano replied.

“No Sir. Merchant is located in a well trafficked location. Standard local security forces are expected. I do not see pirate or smuggler activity and no recent activities of force user patrols. You should have no issues when your boots hit the ground.” GG replied.

“Excellent.” Romano turned to Thea.

“I’ll follow your lead when we land.”
Evanthea Hinata

Evanthea Hinata

E
They arrived on the planet and parked the ship in the docking bay without incident. Thea lead the way, following the map on her datapad as she did so. GG had been right about there being a lot of larger estates in the area. They passed by several large gated estates, some even with guards standing outside the gates.

The shop was a lot nicer than the one the Witch ran, which made sense considering the richness of the area. Thea lead the way inside. Immediately a droid came by to scan them so it could detect any shoplifting. Even in an area where money was plentiful there would always be criminal activity.

They made their way to the counter where there was an older human male examining some jewls with a magnifying glass. He had the appearance of a jewelry maker, though perhaps a blinding one. He did not notice them at first until Thea cleared her throat and he looked up.

"Oh hello! How can I help you?"

"We were hopping you could tell us about this necklace. I believe it was crafted in this shop?"

The man took the necklace and started to examine it with his magnifying glass. He ran it over his fingers a few time and started muttering to himself. Finally he looked up and nodded. "Oh yea. The Duke bought this for a lady he was smitten with. Been a while though. No tellin how many folks had it since then. Looks like someone damaged the crystal though. Do you need it repaired?"

"That won't be necessary thank you. Did you say the Duke?"

"Yea. He lives up past the hill in that big estate. Haven't seen much of him lately but spect he's busy. You know a lot of folks in these part have been getting into that big game hunting. He may have gotten into that. My grandson has. See he went..."

Thea cleared her throat again to make the man stop talking and smiled. "Yes thank you so much."

Together they left the shop and she looked at Romano. "Well we know where to go next, but it might be heavily guarded."

Romano Shamalain

Jack Daniels

J
The sabers clashed. Blue on red. Jack swung wide to his Jake’s right, trying to throw the elder Daniels off balance but the former Sith easily moved. Even with a knee that was starting to bum out, Jake was nearly as skillful as ever. Frustrated Jack swung again, only for the crimson of his fathers blade to knock away the Son’s.

“Focus. Do not grow frustrated. Form II requires strict discipline. You cannot try and incorporate other styles into this one until you Master it. Now regain control and try again.” Jake instructed.

Jack was taller than his father, by just a couple of inches. He was also larger in terms of size. He had strength over his patriarch but lacked the experience. Jack had heard the stories. From his father, from The Twelve, hell even reading historical texts through the years. His Father was a trained warrior; molded to do exactly this. Fight with the blade. It was an extension of his very being. It needed to be the same for Jack.

Raising his saber Jack matched Jakes movements. Both men carefully sized the other up as they circled; their breaths held. Eyes remained locked, jaws clenched, yet Jake could feel what he had wanted too since the start of the training session with Jack. There was a calmness to him; an aura of near tranquility. It was one Jake had only ever felt from Jacks mother.

Jake swung in on Jack who blocked with ease. Over the course of the next several minutes both men moved about the yard. The hums and pops as blade met blade filled the air. There was no acrobatic maneauvering. There was no power thrusts or force abilities. This was traditional blademanship. Father was teaching Son and it appeared the Son was finally adhering to the lessons. For the first time ever Jack held his own in form ii against his experienced father. That was until a surge in the force threw Jake off balance.

Sensing the distraction, Jack knocked Jakes blade down and then up, forcing it from his fathers hand and bringing the tip of his blue one to Jakes chest. The smirk on Jacks face and the happy surprise from a few of The Twelve that watched the spar vanished when Jake fell to a knee; his face suddenly drenched in sweat. For a breif moment fear gripped him as he grabbed onto Jack.

It was here that Jack felt it.

“Mother?” Jack asked with surprise.

“She’s found us… me…” Jake said.

At Jakes side three of his Guards helped the Eternal Apprentice to his feet. Jake summoned his blade to his hand but tucked it at the small of his back.

“She’s close.” Jack said.

“Very and your brother is with her.” Jake replied.

Anahita Le’Fey was uneasy. All of The Twelve were. The woman stood at the ready with eyes that stared at the front gates to the Goetschl Estate. Only moments earlier a sensor had been triggered on the brickpathway that lead to the estate indicating an encroaching vehicle. No one visited the Duke at his Estate without invite and the Duke had extended no invitation. She would know. She knew everything about the Dukes life; both personal and otherwise.

Why?

Because she served as his right hand. At the gate, Mycell Nicoles, the Dukes left hand stood. At various points around other members of the Twelve had gathered. Eached carried a concealed weapon. They were not like the Duke. They could not use the force; however he had trained their minds to ensure they could not be swayed by it. What could they do? As ex-military, each member of the Dukes personal guard knew how to handle a blaster. Anything was better than nothing.

The sound of the speeder drew closer. When Anahita watched Mycell initiate a lock on the gate to prevent its opening, she waved her hand to Maryam Fuller to alert the Duke and his son. Suspicion was high. So were nerves. This had become a dangerous situation. Anahita looked to Maryam whom had stopped in her tracks and backed up. Around the bend to the home, the Duke and his Son appeared, escorted of course.

“Open the gate!” Jack ordered.

Mycell ignored the young man and looked to Jake.

The speeder had come to a clean stop.

Jake in this moment could not control the unease and fear he felt at the arrival of Evanthea Hinata. His vision, his reason for years of training Jack, was unfolding before his very eyes. He had not finished; had not honed Jack enough to stop what Jake feared would be coming.

“Dad!” Jack snapped.

Jake shook his thoughts free and nodded to Mycell.

The Left Hand of the Duke of Honoghr keyed in the code and allowed the large metal gates to open.

Mycell backed away immediately unbuttoning his blazer to ensure he could reach his sidearm quick enough if needed. Much like Mycell had done, every other member of The Twelve present did the same in unison. They knew of some threat Jake feared. Was this surprise arrival that threat?

As two figures walked through the gates, Jacks eyes swelled with happiness.

Tossing his saber to one of The Twelve, Jack rushed up to give his Mother a near back breaking hug.

As Thea stepped through, Jake stepped back. The vision, moment by moment was playing out as he anticipated. He feared, truly feared, what would be coming next.

“My lord, I’ve missed you! How’d you find us!?” Jack asked with joyful curiosity.

Evanthea Hinata

Evanthea Hinata

E
They made it through the gates and almost immediately Thea was pulled into a crushing hug. Jack was much taller than her and a lot bigger. He had been for years now but she could still remember when he barely reached her knees. His hug lifted her off the ground, and when her boots were planted back she smiled. Her eyes were a deep happy blue, shining with relief at seeing that he was okay. She opened her hand, and the lightsaber he had tossed away was pulled from the attendant. It flew through the air and landed in Thea's open hand. She handed it to her son. "This weapon is your life. Don't throw it away so easily." She sounded serious but her face was alight with happiness. "We got lucky. I've been searching for quite some time."

She could feel the tension radiating off everyone in the vicinity. It wasn't lessened by the fact that she had called the weapon to her, but Thea wasn't as concerned with the attendants just yet. Her eyes looked past her son to where Jake was standing. As they fell upon him the deep blue started to change to a softer shade of red. It was an angry color, though its paleness meant she was doing everything she could to control it.

"I suppose there is a reason you haven't called or otherwise contacted me?" The question was for her son but her eyes were digging into Jake.

Jake Daniels Jake Daniels

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom