Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baying At The Harvest Moon [Yula]

SBI1VuU.png

Midvinter
Tháinbroek
If one stays enjoying the fare of the Howlin' Wolf Inn long enough and drinks a skin full of cider.

But the day had only just passed into eventide. Théo had spent most to the morning tucked away in a small office running over the inventory of the brewery and everything seemed to be in order, save for a couple of flagons of ale missing from the stock, he assumed it was no coincidence they went missing after [member="Thirdas Heavenshield"] had left to travel back to the Westmark after they returned from the long months riding the waves of the Great Maw. His brother was a handful, which Théo was quietly proud of, being the same when he was a boy.

Finally that weird sensation of motion had left him, after spending so long on a ship when you get back to solid ground the motion continues and is very disconcerting. It was also good to be able to sleep in a bed that did not move and he had sleep soundly. But now it was time to head down stairs and open the main door as soon the Valkyri would be finished with they daily chores and looking to come for a drink to wash away the grim in their throats.

"Ansgar, send the bill for the missing ale to [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] of the Westmark will you", Théo grinned as the entered the main room to find the bar keep hard at work. The only response from Ansgar was a chuckle and a shake of his shaved head, as he was never going to do that, nor was Théo he knew well enough. "I would love to see the look on your old man's face if you did".

"I would love to see the look on my brother's face if I did". Théo quickly shot back, grinning from ear to ear, as he walked passed the bar to the door and swiftly undid the locks and open it. The streaming cold of Midvinter entered long before anyone else would, and prickled at the warmth on Théo's skin. "Looks like snow today", he said as he poked his head out to look at the sky. "You always say that".

"And it always does". Théo chuckled as the turned inside once more and headed for the hearth.

[member="Yula Perl"]

The trip from Coruscant to Midvinter had not been short—instead of taking the Parlemian Trade Route all the way, Yula nudged them off course near The Wheel in order to scooch around Sith space. She’d crossed into Empire territory as a commercial vessel before, but their borders were heavily patrolled and she didn’t need to get thrown in jail for her less than clean record. Nothing particularly incriminating, but who knew what the Sith would do to a small time smuggler? Though it would take longer, the peace of mind was worth it.

Good company made it all the more pleasant. On long journeys she took alone, Yula easily found herself bored to tears after a few days. But Vik made the time pass by quicker, and soon they’d docked on Midvinter.

The Howlin’ Wolf Inn. This must be it.

The sign out front made the building easy to find, and the friendly nature of the Valkyri made it even easier when she’d stopped to ask for directions. They really were as Vik had described them—tall mountains of the cold world. The heat washing over her as soon as she’d stepped through the doorway was a welcome sensation, the sudden change in temperature sending a brief shiver along her back. The interior of the building was made mostly of strong, polished wood, decorated with native adornments and warmly lit by both light fixtures and the fire crackling at the hearth. A handful of patrons sat at the bar, signaling the beginning of the night.

Rather than loiter in the doorway for much longer, Yula made her way over to the bar, raising a hand to wave down the man behind it. “Excuse me,” She smiled at him, cheeks still a bit reddened from the cold. “I’m looking to book a room for a few nights. Are there any available?” She and Vik had elected to spend a few nights in the capital before heading off to Averlorn. While she secured their lodgings, Vik was making preparations for their upcoming journey. Peeling off her gloves, the Zeltron slowly took in the atmosphere. Warm, friendly. A bit cold, but she liked it here already.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

There was a small explosion of laughter from a table with two Valkyri that had entered the Inn for quick drink before returning home for the night, one had decided to try his courage and ordered a Bum Hummer which was promptly spat out coupled with a screwed up face to show his disgust. The Hummer, a drink only for the brave. Théo watched them with amusement, until his attention was caught by a girl entering from the cold. A girl entering the Inn was nothing unusual, plenty of Valkyri woman come here as much as the men and there is no discrimination about who was the worthy drinker, in fact most of the time the women outlast the men and neither sexes shy away from the inevitable drunken fight as the wee hours grew long. But this girl was no Valkyri.

Ansgar turned from his pumping of the lines to attend to her, an obvious pull back in his stance as he noticed the girl and he too realised she was not local. And she was pink, he assumed it was that she had caught too much of the cold, but Théo knew better. "Good eve young lady. Aye, we have rooms. What have you got to trade for them?", Ansgar looked her over, noticing she did not have anything of note to barter for the accommodation.

Théo walked over to the bar and positioned himself at the end of it, "It's alright Ansgar, credits will do just fine", Ansgar never understood Théo's acceptance of such insignificant pieces of metal or whatever they were made of, the value placed on them seemed odd to the big burly man. "Just asking", Ansgar snorted, "For all you know she might be a cooper". There was always plenty of work for a good cooper.

As Ansgar went back to his work, Théo went behind the bar. "How many rooms do you need?", he pulled out the book, yet there was a sense of the familiar about his girl. "What's your name?". With pencil in hand he was ready to scribble in the reservation.

[member="Yula Perl"]

The surprise in the barkeep’s posture did not go unnoticed. Yula wasn’t sure what to expect, but from what she understood of Vik’s description, Midvinter didn’t get much in the way of outside visitors. She hadn’t imagined that many Zeltrons traveled to the world of ice and snow. “Trade?” She blinked, face creasing in thought for anything she might have that would be of worth. Somehow she doubted that a month’s worth of ration bars would go over well. “I’m an excellent pilot. Could transport some of your fine ale offworld for sale, hm?” Yula grinned, aware that terming herself ‘excellent’ was probably pushing it. ‘Daring’ was a more fitting adjective, though the youngest Perl flew well she’d had her fair share of close calls and poor decisions. Even a few crashes.

Another man, perched at the end of the bar cut in to let her know that they’d accept credits and the relief shown on her face. Roaring laughter sounded from a nearby table as a man spat out his drink with a bitter look on his face. His friend clapped him on the back roughly, clutching his own stomach with his other hand as he chuckled. The sight brought a crinkle of happiness to Yula’s eyes. As soon as her gloves were removed and stored in her pockets, she lowered her hood and gently shook the snow crystals that had settled onto her hair.

“Just one.” She had Vik had quite literally been sleeping side by side for the past week or so, in her mind there was no need for separate rooms. “Do…the rooms have one bed or two?” A sudden realization crept into her mind; she hadn’t ever slept in the same bed as a man. It wouldn’t be odd, right?

“Yula Perl.” She gave the dark haired man her name, rubbing her hands together to work the chill from them. “And what drink do you recommend for a newcomer?”

He snapped the book shut without writing down her name, and turned on the spot to reach for a small bottle and two small glasses, shot glasses. Théo placed the bottle on the bar as he turned back, as well as the glasses and poured them both two fingers. "Perl, huh", more a comment than a question to her. "Perl without an a", he grinned as he nodded to her to take up the drink. "Go on, it will warm you up", he then downed the whiskey in one go, and let out a hiss with the burn in his throat. They don't brew whiskey here, but this was his personal inventory of Corellian Whiskey, after all he has that blood too.

"You Joza's girl? .. or niece or something?", he poured another round, but didn't down it this time. The door of the Inn opened again and more Valkyri entered to find a table for the night, Ansgar was soon busy with them all and the kitchen would be in full swing soon to provide the fare for the empty stomachs. Already the smell of freshly backed bread wafted through the place making Théo's appetite grow and there is always a homey sensation with that smell. "You look like her". It was not just the pink complexion that gave the game away but, her facial features, he could see the mother in them.

"As for the room, you shall have the best one, plenty big for two and you don't have to share a bath room with the big and hairy", he gestured with a smile toward the paying patrons.

By now, Yula would have been surprised that someone knew her mother all the way out here on Midvinter. "My name is Théo, Théo Heavenshield, and it is a pleasure to meet a Perl".
[member="Yula Perl"]

Yula nodded in affirmation to the spelling of her last name, but it didn’t quite hit her yet. The last thing she had expected here was to be recognized here. “Oh, thank you.” She smiled in gratitude as the whiskey was produced, perhaps she would have recognized the label if she’d been as acquainted with a drink as her mother. Taking the glass, she sipped at the dark liquid with caution. Ever since her mishap on Coruscant, Yula had vowed to be more cautious with alcohol.

She nearly spat it back into the glass when she heard her mother’s name. “Y-yeah.” She thumped on her chest with her free hand as she cleared her throat, having choked on some of the whiskey in surprise. “Yeah. That’s my mom, hah.” Her expression was still bright, if a bit sheepish. “I get that a lot.” So much that Yula often wondered what she inherited from her dad. It wasn’t as if she could look at her brother for comparison considering they’d been fathered by different men. “Maybe if I dye my hair red I can pass off as her.” Such an act would allow her to commit…havoc.

At this point she still didn’t know how he knew her mother and her mind was flipping through the options. Maybe she’d been here before? “That’s very kind of you. Thank you, Théo.” The scent of warm bread settling over them only added to her grin before a thoughtful look washed over her face. Heavenshield. She’d heard that name before from her mother. But in what context? Slowly the dots began to connect.

“I’ve heard of you! You’re little Théo.” She exclaimed in jovial realization. “I mean, well…” Her head tilted upwards a bit given that he was over a foot taller than both her and Joza, hardly someone she would call little. In fact, pretty much everyone she’d seen so far had been taller than her, save for the little children. “My mother told me about you, and your parents. From the Silver Jedi. Good to meet you as well, Théo.” Remembering the glass in her hand, she drank to the revelation and felt the burn of the whiskey spread warmth in her chest.

“Well, you’re definitely bigger than I had imagined.” She chuckled and put down her glass as he filled them in for another round. “You live here, I take it?”

"I remember your mother from when I was a kid running around at the Temple when the Silvers were on Voss, so yeah I have grown up a bit since then", he smiled as he sips the whiskey. He stood straight and waved over the kitchen hand, a young boy that had come to the capital in search of a great life from that in the Southmark. He wants to be a chef and asked for an apprenticeship within their kitchens. Not that the Inn's kitchen were anything grand like you can find in the outer galaxy but he would be able to learn a trade here, and move on to higher establishments. "You hungry?", he was, that baking bread had done the trick and it was a trick to get the patrons to eat.

"My mother knows yours very well, Joza came to Midvinter a while back to help her with something and she was here directly after the Sith attacked the people over in the west. She helped mama attend to the wounded". Théo was at the Iron Empire when that happened and to this day it still burned him he could not make it in time to help them all.

Théo was not going to take no for an answer from Yula, so he ordered two plates of stew and a loaf of the sour dough, the young lad hurried away to prepare the order for his boss and his friend. "I don't live here at the Inn but up north. I have this place at the capital and several around Midvinter. One over in the Westmark as well. That is where Papa and Mama live now".

"Grab your drink and follow me", he said doing the same and made his way around the bar to lead Yula to a table by the fire. As they arrived so too did the plates of stew and bread which looked so good. As he settled into his seat, he looked at her with good natured curiosity, "What .. what brings you all the way out here? why come to Midvinter?",
[member="Yula Perl"]

Yula’s stomach gurgled in response, an involuntary reaction that caused her smile to turn sheepish. “I guess I am, hah.” She hadn’t had much to eat this morning, preferring to explore what she could of the capital while there was still daylight. Hopefully after she and Vik finished their respective tasks, they could have their time to relax and do things at their own pace.

“Your mother is Coci Heavenshield, right?” Now it was starting to come back to her, the stories from the Silver Jedi. She’d always enjoyed her mother’s stories, though perhaps some of them were embellished and certain details were left out. “And your father is Thurion, if I remember. My mother looked up to them as Masters of the Silver Jedi.” She hadn’t heard much from her mom about Midvinter, but perhaps she would have if she’d told Joza where she was headed.

She followed Theo over to a table close to the hearth which helped to melt away the last vestiges of cold clinging to her body. “Sounds like you’re quite the businessman. This place seems popular, rightfully so.” Her comment was directed towards the Valkyri that had piled in, seating themselves either at the bar or the nearby tables. Already the place was lively, warm and friendly.

Not long after they seated themselves did the food arrive—and it smelled like heaven. After a week of eating convenient frozen food products, she’d have to pace herself so as to not look like a wild beast when eating. “Hm?” She’d already broken off a piece of bread and had dipped it in the stew when Théo asked why she’d come to Midvinter. It was a question she should have expected, but still it took her a few moments to come up with an answer. Those few moments were filled with her thoughtfully chewing the bread, reveling in the savory broth of the stew and the texture of actual home-cooked food.

“I met someone from Midvinter on Zeltros.” She answered after swallowing, a soft smile spreading across her face at the thought of Vik and the time they’d spent together. “He said he wanted to show me his homeworld and I wanted to see it so…long story short, here I am.” A brief laugh punctuated her explanation. “He’s not Valkyri though, he’s…Aelvar.” Yula had to pause to remember the exact name of his race. “We’re going to visit Averlorn after Tháinbroek, so right now he’s securing supplies for that trip while I procure accommodations for the next few days.”

"Yes they are my parents", he said smiling to give her the conformation, "They decided to step aside and let the young Jedi take control, besides it was the right time and they had done enough. They are both kept busy doing their own thing here on Midvinter and there is plenty to do as it turned out so I don't think they are enjoying much of a retirement". He grinned at the though of his parents sitting on the verander watching the world go by, it was not something he could easy imagine.

Théo ripped off his own piece of bread from the loaf for them to share, the stew as good and it hit the spot in his stomach. "I don't know about being a businessman, there are a few more of my establishments around Midvinter, but it keeps me in good stead", there are no credits to be made on Midvinter but the trading is good and he and his family want for nothing. He has his credits stashed away from his time with the Iron Empire, they paid well and especially in the position he held with their ranks. But yet his mind turned over the possibility of exporting the mead to the wider galaxy. "You think there would be a market out there for mead?", Yula mentioned she is a pilot and that might come in handy if a plan like that was put in place.

"You know what?! over all my time traveling through the galaxy with Jedi or other reasons, I never got to Zeltros", maybe one day he and Ylva could travel there for a holiday. He smiled at the idea of her in a place like that, what she would think of it.

"Now that is interesting, a Aelvar off Midvinter. It is rare that Valkyri travel beyond the stars but an Aelvar?". He wanted to meet this man Yula seems to like so much. She must do to travel all the way out here to the ice planet. Even on Midvinter, the Aelvar are still a mysterious entity although legend gives some incite but they are a illusive race and very hard to know truly. They are different, there is a quality about them that is regal and noble in the true sense of the word but at the same time, most deadly if aroused to the cause.

"I have been to Averlorn, it is a remarkable place", was all he said of it which was true enough but circumstances in which they had been there was far from a joyous event.

Théo tilted his head, looking at Yula as if studying her, he could sense she is force attuned yet she sat on neither side of the alignment which to him was perfectly fine. Not everyone has to do this, to train and become attached to either side of the spectrum. But he was curious as to why she did not seek to progress her gift, there was ability there and strong if she was to hone it. "You're not attached to an Order or anything are you", it was not a question but an observation.

[member="Yula Perl"]

“Hmm…” Yula paused, just for a second as she chewed. “I’d say that you have good prospects. The galaxy loves booze.” Her grin widened at the thought. “I think my mom would be amenable to selling it in her clubs and cantinas. Might do better at her places in the Outer Rim. And if you ever come to visit the pleasure planet—which you should,” She grinned knowingly. “I’m positive she’ll put you up for free.” Her mother was looking into purchasing one of the larger hotels in the downtown area, though that wasn’t a permanent prospect as of yet. But Heartbeat had plenty of nightclubs and drinking holes dotted across the galaxy that could use a fresh tap.

“Oh, you’ve been there?” She looked up from her stew, curiosity twinkling in her eyes. “My friend Vik has told me about it, but I don’t think I’ll get the full picture until I see it for myself. I hear it’s beautiful.” She really was looking forward to the journey, and though Yula tended not to shy away from danger situations she was confident that Vik would be able to help navigate any potential tricky situations.

Her expression sobered a bit, though she did not lose her good humor when Théo mentioned her lack of affiliation to a Force order. “Not particularly.” It took her another few moments of thought to answer. It was then when she noticed the presence of the Force around him—sharp, well trained and powerful, not unlike the other Masters she’d met in her travels. It made sense if she thought a little more, considering who his parents were. “Mom taught me the basics and I’ve learned bits and pieces from the folk in the Outer Rim Coalition. But they don’t really have much of an order.” They were more of a loose collection of allies protecting the Outer Rim, a hodgepodge of Force users and self-termed “space trash”.

“There are some Jedi there but it’s mostly rogues, spacers, salvagers and the like. Not really much order to anything, but that’s the ‘Rim for you.” As much of a motley crew as they were, the Coalition could band together in times of need.

Théo's brow pulled inward, not because of anything bad but for the fact he was thinking. The idea of exporting mead off Midvinter had suddenly become a real prospect and to earn some credits would go a long way in helping establish the Northmark greatly. It was not the idea of personal gain that drove his mind, although that would be beneficial too, but his plans for the Northmark would require more than trading on Midvinter to achieve. "You are right in that regard", he agreed with her comment on the galaxy loving it's drink. And if Joza was willing to stock her establishments with his mead, that was going to be the stepping stone he needed. "I might head to Zeltros sooner rather than later", and he would take Ylva with him if she wanted to come.

"Can't say I know Vik, the Aelvar, but he is right that regard. Averlorn is beautiful and so very different. But yeah I can't do justice to it with words, it is best to see it for yourself", There are beautiful places around the galaxy that are breathtaking, but Avelorn was right among them and such a contrast to the rest of the planet it was almost impossible to believe something so unique could exist here.

"I have heard of those guys, the Coalition but have not had the pleasure of meeting any of them until today", he smiled at her across their plates of stew which were just about empty and he was feeling much better for and his stomach had stopped protesting it's discontent, or lack of content. "The Rim can be dangerous, but it is an exciting place to live. But there is so much uncertainty in the galaxy nowhere is really safe, as you know". She was old enough to have seen the constant waging of war that was a permanent state of being in galaxy, may have even been in a scrap herself.

"You know, you have a great talent, I can sense it. And it is a good idea to hone that talent, even if for your own benefit", he was thinking of her being 'armed' with the force if she was ever to get into trouble, or find herself in a battle. "You don't have to be part of an Order, or have to be any sort of force user like a Jedi or the like, but protect yourself so you can protect others, the ones you love, family and friends", although his words sounded like that of a Jedi they were true enough.

"There's a place here on Midvinter, that might interest you", he grinned, "It is called the Dawnguard run by my mother and father, and it's members are not solely force users, or lightsiders rather but anyone that was to achieve their best potential. And if you ever consider training your talent, I would be happy to help you".
[member="Yula Perl"]

Meanwhile ...

He had managed to secure two horses, "They are good Rildonmark stock, strong and clever, they wont let you down", the horse trader informed Vik, as he brushed away the snow frozen to their coat. There was intelligence in their eyes, their big black eyes that seemed to look into his soul, "You searching for my secrets?", he asked the horse closest to him with a smile. The response was a snort, as if in answer to his question and just for a moment Vik wondered if he was found out. "Don't tell anyone", he whispered with a grin. "I'll take them", he declared, the pair would do just fine and he hoped Yula would fall in love with them too. And then it dawned on him, did she ride? horses are not known in the great galaxy and as far as he knew Midvinter was the only place they existed but then he has not been everywhere.

The big burly trader, stood tall even over Vik's head, solid a man as you would ever see and he folded his arms across his chest, sizing Vik up. "What you got?", he simply asked, wanting to be paid for the horses.

"Well", Vik turned to eye him before taking his pack off his back and searching for the only thing of value he possessed. "I have this", he pulled out his Aelvarian ranger's dagger and unsheathed the blade. It was simply in design, but the craftmanship was apparent to any discerning eye and it was clearly from Averlorn. The dagger was quite a common blade to the Aelvar, but not to the Valkyri, and Vik noticed the man's arms unfold as he reached for it to look it over. "The blade is keen, never dulled once", in fact it never would. The metal was perfect as was the balance of the blade as the trader discovered in his appraisal of it, and the gold!

He handed it back to Vik although he would loved to have possessed it, "Nay lad, this is too much", traders on Midvinter are not ones to take advantage of another in trading goods, it is not how the Valkyri are, as everyone that lives here fights to survive the elements that their mother land test them with.

"I will be traveling south with a friend, and will be on the road for several days. If you take this dagger and fit out the horses for the trip would that be enough then?", he asked, he needed these horse and more besides. "Furs for bedding, food, saddles and reins everything .. and two fur cloak". Vik gave the man the dagger once more.

"Aye lad, it will be enough", more than enough. "Come back tomorrow, you will have what you need". Vik gave the trader a bow, and turned to head back into the city proper to find Yula at a place called the Howlin' Wolf.

[member="Yula Perl"]

“Well, let me know when you do. I can give you a list of all the best places to visit.” Though Zeltros was not her favorite world, she liked it well enough and more importantly Yula had grown up exploring the concrete jungle. In regards to Averlorn, she’d heard similar words from Vik though she’d gotten the impression that he had held back from describing too much. Which was all well and good, then she’d go in with a fresh mind when seeing his home for the first time. Giving away too much may spoil the wonder of a first impression.

As she finished her stew, Yula leaned back in her chair and let out a brief sigh of contentment. It had been a good week since she’d had a nice meal and it really hit the spot. “Send my compliments to the chef,” She chuckled, low and satisfied. “Aye, the galaxy can be rough. Seems like nowhere is safe…” Skor II had been her first battle, and though the Coalition had prevailed, Yula had suffered a very confusing defeat. Her brows knit together briefly as she stared down into the whiskey glass. Luckily Théo's continuation of the conversation pulled her attention back before her thoughts wandered elsewhere.

“The Dawnguard, hm?” Green eyes drifted upwards in thought, lips curving into a slow smile. “I like the idea of that. An order of people, not just Force users.” The Coalition was like that in a way, though they were scattered across different systems and probably less organized. “I’d be interested in checking it out. It’s…probably about time I learned how to wield the Force properly.”

Maybe then…what happened on Skor won’t happen again. There had been more factors at play there than her inexperience. Yula wondered if she would have fared better if the man who attacked her hadn’t been…familiar.

A familiar figure entered through the doorway, one she’d been watching for out of the corner of her eye. Turning in her chair, she waved him over with a grin. “Vik! Over here. This is Théodred Heavenshield, the owner. He knows my mother! Isn’t that crazy? That someone out here knows her?” Her eyes shone as she turned to Théo. “Théo, this is Vik, my friend I was telling you about.”

Little did she know that their meeting would not be as initially pleasant as she thought.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] - [member="Vik Velkarson"]

For the most part, the walk to the Inn was uneventful. On occasion Vik would receive a long look as he passed, and even some would step out of his way when they noticed him approach but he put it all down to the strangeness of his appearance, that he was Aelvar among the Valkyri. Even though the Aelvar had come to the capital it was still a rare sight to see one, and he was not dressed in traditional attire but clothes that were of another world, and although he was growing his hair long in the way of his people, it was yet to pass the shoulders. Yet, this was strange to him, Valkyri are not afraid of anything he came to know of them, but there was a sense if it surrounding them as he walked on by, he could feel it. But he did not know why.

Vik quickened his pace, longing to get off the streets and into a warm room and away from the eyes that followed him as if expecting something to happen. So when he saw the swinging sign of the Howlin’ Wolf, he smiled as he reached for the door handle. His senses alerted to her presence inside and she seemed to be in a happy mood, but there was another in there strong in the ways of the Frostvatn, deeply imbued in the thing they call the force which made Vik curious.

He kicked off the encrusted snow on his boots, and a chilled blowing wind followed him in, which turned the heads of the patrons wondering who the person was to enter so, some paid no attention others gave him the same look as the people on the street but turned their gaze away not wanting to bring any trouble to themselves.

A sense of relief came when he heard his name called and he smiled with only eyes for Yula. Heavenshield, that was a name he had heard before around the camp fires when he travelled north and met his father and all that that involved. Some of the stories came back to him in that moment, how the ruling families of the Valkyri had fought against the demons of the … Gods.

He remembered the man who had been in that battle, that looked at him like seeing a ghost, the image of his father entered his mind, a mirror image of him staring back. Suddenly everything became clear, and Vik hesitated in his stride.

The delight that was on his face vanished replaced with realisation, and as the friend of Yula’s stood and turned a fixed stare on him, confusion at the sudden shift in the man’s demeanour. Vik approached the table, “I managed to secure everything for our journey”, he started to speak trying to rid himself of the unease of the situation. “Hello Théodred, I have heard of you and your family. It is a pleasure to meet you”.

[member="Yula Perl"]

“It is worth a look”, he said in response to her seeking out a means to train in the force, and he would be willing to help her out with it, but all that was put aside as her friend entered the Inn. Théo leaned back in his chair and prepared to meet this new friend of Yula’s but as he approached, a dark shadow crossed his face. “What is this?”, although spoken softly, it was demanding in tone.

Théo stood up and moved to stand between this Vik and Yula, a natural positioning done without thought but a position to protect her considering who he believed was standing in the room. He knew the capacity of the God of Fire and Mischief, had seen it first hand and even though he had to thank that particular god for the defence of Midvinter, Velkar was fickle in nature. What trickery was he up to now?

He did not greet him with the same level of pleasantry.

“Why are you here?”, he demanded more, as his hand moved to rest on the hilt of his lightsabre, even though it would do little to the god, it was some form of security. Théo had recalled Yula say she had met this man off world, that was impossible, the gods of the Valkyri cannot leave the planet but are bound to it. Or so he had been told, and so he believed.

But it had to be him, even though this Vik had pointed ears and the subtle features of the Aelvar, he was the spitting image of Velkar. And that God is cunning and could take on the guise of anything his heart desired. The mood in the room shifted, some of the Valkyri had stood and reached for their swords, seeing that Théo was in a stance of battle if it came to that.

“What business does the God of Fire and Mischief have with this girl?”. Damn the God for taking advantage of her. Théo stepped forward, wanting an answer and expecting the worst action. Théo watched as this Vik shot a look toward Yula, and let out a long sigh of resignation. His secret was revealed, if she even believed it.

Yet, Théo could sense something was off, different, as this Vik had a presence in the force which Velkar does not. He halted the slow advance of the men with drawn swords with a raise of his hand.

[member="Yula Perl"]

Yula hadn’t expected the mood to darken as it did. As Théo’s features deepened and he rose to confront Vik, Yula’s face dropped from pleasant to confused. They knew each other? That couldn’t be, Théo said himself that he’d never met Vik the Aelvar and she got the sense that he hadn’t been lying. Would be a strange thing to lie about anyhow.

As Théo intercepted the two and some of Valkyri drew their blades, Yula abruptly stood despite her concern. "Woah, hey-what's going on now? He's my friend." Her instinct as a smuggler was to defuse the situation, but she was a guest on a foreign world and had to tread carefully. Something was going on here and though the swords were not aimed for her, worry twisted in her gut. But that didn’t mean that she’d back down from a situation—she rarely did, for better or for worse.

“God of ‘Fire and Mischief’?” Her tone was questioning, almost as if she didn’t quite believe what she was hearing. Why would she? Zeltrons didn’t have gods or goddesses, and though she was aware that certain cultures worshiped deities, she’d never been directly exposed to religion. “Is that a nickname or something…?” Her eyes edged over to the men with their weapons and the back to Théo, just now noticing the hilt of his saber resting at his hip—it was something natural for her at this point, instinctually checking others over for weapons when a situation got tense. Her hand traveled to her own waist, internally cursing as she grasped at nothing. She’d left her blaster back on The Mariposa. [member="Zef Halo"] would have chided her for being unprepared.

Vik’s eyes met her own and he seemed…to acquiesce to the situation? She squinted, not out of suspicion but she was having a difficult time wrapping her head around this situation and organizing her thoughts. He hadn’t denied the claims made by Théo, which meant that there was some explaining to do. Carefully, she tried to edge her way over to him, wary of the simmering situation that could quickly turn to a boil.

“Vik...what is going on?”

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] - [member="Vik Velkarson"]

The stand-off had become dangerous until Théo stopped the advancing Valkyri with his hand, for the moment Vik stood looking at the man as he rightly had questioned him. Vik raised his hands in an act of supplication to defuse the situation further, but when Yula spoke it was only then that his gaze moved from the man’s face to hers with a look that spoke of resignation.

It was strange but Vik felt a sense of relief that he did not have to carry the burden of this secret any more but what would she think of him now? Especially when she learns the truth behind the man she calls friend. “Rightly, these men think I am someone else. And it is not a nickname by which they call me or rather the person they speak of”.

He lowered his hands to settle by his side, they would see he had no weapon by their reckoning, however Théo would understand there was more to him in the capacity to use the force, and he probably had surmised that Vik had other abilities that could not be countered by the likes of even he. This, of course, made Vik the most powerful in the room, but he knew that would not stop the man in front of him from trying if it came to blows. The honour and nobility in the Heavenshields are legendary on Midvinter.

There was only one person in the galaxy that knew of Vik’s secret, that was his mother, but now there would be two more. “Is there .. is there somewhere we can speak in private?”, he pleaded with Théo as it was best to keep it between him and Yula.

“I will tell you everything I can Yula”, he turned to her as Théo moved to the back of the Inn parting a way through the room of Valkyri who had sheathed their swords but still stood with a will for a fight, some of them fuelled with mead but they knew better than to start a fight when Théo was in residency.

Vik would tell them everything he could?, there was a lot he did not understand himself, but over time that would present itself when the God, his father deemed fit to tell. The room in the back was small, furnished with a table and some rustic chairs, and a small fire on the side wall to keep the cold at bay. There was a wooden paned window to the outside world, and it was snowing, the first fall of the day that would lead into the evening and from the shadows cast on the ground, evening was close at hand.

“I am not Velkar, the God of Fire and Mischief. But I am his son, Vik Velkar-son”. Vik made his declaration as Yula and Théo had settled in the room behind a closed door. It was now that Vik realised his position in life, and for some strange reason, he felt a sense of pride in say it.

[member="Yula Perl"]

“They think you’re someone else?” Yula squinted again, confusion and uncertainty marking her features. Vik had given her no reason to distrust him, but Théo’s reaction had been strong. Whoever he had been mistaken for, this ‘God of Fire and Mischief’ must have been a bad person. Her gaze met again with Vik’s as he turned to her and told her that he’d tell her everything he could. Wordlessly, she nodded. She didn’t know what to expect, what was so terrible and it made her worry.

She followed the pair to the back room, warming her hands by the fire. Though her tolerance to the cold was average for that of a human, she could not compare to the Midvinter inhabitants in that regard. Even still, the chill had gone from her bones and it was more of an idle gesture than anything. Yula was fidgety when nervous.

“What does that mean?” Looking over to Vik first, she expected an explanation. “What did this Velkar do to earn such ire?” The impression that he was not well liked was certainly strong. Her eyes traveled over to Théo, curious to see his response to Vik’s confession. It would mean more to him than it would to her, at least right now.

Her opinion of Vik did not change. Yula didn’t know what the Gods meant to Midvinter, or even if they were real. Perhaps they were men and women who’s feats elevated them to god-like status, not actual deities. But she was curious, after all this.

“What is a ‘God’ of Midvinter?”

[member="Vik Velkarson"]

"Velkar's son", Théo repeated deep in his own thoughts. The implications of this was apparent to Théo, as well as to Midvinter for it seemed they had a new God on the block, well a demi-god as this case was. Through the force, the young boy who appeared to be not that much younger than himself, was uncertain and anxious and might he be considering what was the facts of this unique situation and he sat strong in the force like Aelvar do, Velkar is a void in it. "You look like him", he said as his eyes shifted back to the young man and pushed his back off the wall he leaned on.

Rightly, Yula was confused by all this, no doubt the first time she had heard of the Gods of Midvinter, and even he still, has trouble believing in their true existence. But Théo had seen them with his own eyes, and as true and real as the two standing in the room with him. It was also apparent that Vik did not have a good understanding of his father or the other Gods for that matter, and Théo only had knowledge of myth mostly but unlike Vik he had seen what they can do. If it was not for the Gods, he and most of Midvinter would not be here today for no doubt Grima would have prevailed and they would have all perished under her wrath.

"Let me try and answer your question for you both", he moved to the fire seeking inspiration from the flames as he looked into them. "The Gods of Midvinter, which I once thought were but myth are real, as real as you and I standing here". He turned to face Yula. "I have seen them. They reside in a place called Beornskald, it is their godly realm. The Allfather is Odiir, he is associated with the wind and skies, his wife Runa Goddess of oceans and earth and who gave the Valkyri their language. Teign, the master craftman, Helm is god of justice and war and Ear goddess of the hunt and fertility, and of course Velkar the god of fire and mischief, their children".

Théo paused for a moment to allow them both to digest that, Vik seemed to know this much by his nod of affirmation. "Odiir and his wife created Midvinter, when they did it was far different to what you see today. It was lush and green full of forests that were filled with unique trees and animals .. that are not found on Midvinter today. That all changed later". He paused for a moment trying to recall the stories of the myth told to him as a child by his father and grand father. He suddenly remembered his grand father, the fact that a mortal was deemed worthy by Odiir to become a god too. Anything was possible on Midvinter, he looked at Vik standing there soaking in his every word.

[member="Yula Perl"]

"My father changed it all", it felt strange to say that, his father and the fact that Théo would realise his heritage. "From what I know of the myth .. history, is that Velkar was deemed by Odiir to gift the knowledge and ability of fire to the Valkyri, which he did. But, because of his nature, that of being mischievous had tricked the Valkyri in misuse of it, and they set on fire their houses and forests and all of Midvinter was burning. Velkar went to his father, made him believe that the Valkyri were not fit to have this gift, that they abused it, and look what was happening. He trick his own father into plunging Midvinter in the age of ice and it remains this to this very day", he looked to Théo who did not correct him. "This action, no doubt, killed a lot of things, not just the people, but creatures and forests that no longer exist because of my father".

"And once Odiir found out, he was exiled". Théo interjected.

"I don't know much more beyond that", he looked at Yula wondering what she makes of all this, of him now. Vik knew that she would not have realised just what he is or what all of this would entail, and he would understand if she was to walk away. The idea of not seeing her again was paining his heart, but she had to make her decision for her well being. The future for Vik was unclear to him, although the meeting with his father in the forest to the north gave him some insight into part of his future. Upon Vik's death he would become a god, but God of what? That, his father did not answer. And that scared Vik.

"Yula I am sorry I did not tell you more, the fact is I was not sure myself. I had found out all of this, and I guess my leaving Midvinter was my way of trying to reason it all, to find some sort of clarity in this .. I had to leave, to get away so I could think". He wanted to take her hand, he wanted to feel her warmth in his own and to seek comfort from her, but he was scared she would not want it. More frighten of this then his own future, but he reached for her and his hand wrapped around hers.

Vik's curiosity grew much more knowing that Théo had seen them himself, including his father. "What did you see?, of the Gods what did they do?". He was thirst for anything he could tell Vik, to know of his father, his family outside of Averlorn.

[member="Yula Perl"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom