Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Bastion of Diplomacy (Haskler/Bastion)

Moff Bastion itched at his collar, like most official dress uniforms it was uncomfortable. Bastion had often wondered whether that was intentionally so that any professional and disciplined man in uniform would never be completely at ease and therefore slack and therefore slovenly while representing the uniform. Other times Bastion just wondered if it was itchy and uncomfortable because it was the cheapest method of mass producing a uniform, even one as high ranking as that of an Imperial Moff.

Bastion supposed he could probably get away with stylising and personalising the uniform as he aw fit. He was Moff of his own sector after all, there were sectors in Imperial Space who proclaimed Sovereignty and Independence in rhetoric even while still paying homage to the Empire. It was worth considering, but a of yet despite being a Moff, Bastion was still a new Moff, if he showed too much independence and division from the main line this early in his political career it might send the wrong message or worse gain attention from potential adversaries within the Empire. All of which was particularly and exactly counter to his current presence at this particular Imperial Diplomats door.

Moff Bastion was here to make allies or at the very least assess fellow Imperial Officers, it wouldn’t be wise to make a too bold and frivolous statement of changing the uniform on such a relatively benign visit.

Bastion didn’t know much about Julius Haskler half of what he did know came from his name. House Haskler was a noble house of which he was heir to, even though currently said House Hasklers home planet was in the Galactic Alliance territory. Hence this rendezvous being held on Yinchorr.

While Bastions family couldn’t quite claim to be a noble house, it was still a family of noble tradition if not noble lineage. The Bastions had been in military, security or diplomatic services of Bastion for thousands of years, or so the family legend claimed.

Anyone who was born into that kind of power was someone to be wary of. In Bastion’s experience they were either fools or calculating astute individuals. The other half of what Bastion knew of him pointed to the latter. Julius Haskler had managed to salvage the Csilla crisis with the absorption of much of the resources of the fallen civilisation. It was a diplomatic move of great benefit to the Imperial Order.

Truthfully Bastion wasn’t sure who outranked who. Officially he was head of his own sector, in practice the man he was to meet controlled a large amount of the Empires foreign policy.

Moff waited patiently to be announced into Hasklers office by Hasklers secretary. It was a typical negotiation tactic to make the visitor wait for an extended period of time, it’d be actually be rude not to, it would show disrespect that you didn’t consider the approaching party worth the mind games and manoeuvring. Either that or it would at the very least assume familiarity, which would be inappropriate given Bastion had never met him before.

“Diplomat Haskler will see you now”

Bastion nodded formerly

“Moff Bastion to see you Diplomat”

Bastion strode in and assumed parade rest.

“It’ an honour to meet you Diplomat Haskler. Your reputation proceeds you. Your efforts at Csilla were… exemplary”

The pause was an affectation as if he had just decided on that phrasing, as if he hadn’t been preparing for this moment since it had been scheduled.

“I hope to build a useful partnership with you for the betterment of the Empire… and for the Galaxy”

@

Julius Haskler Julius Haskler

Imperial Arbiter of the Outer Rim

I M P E R I A L _ M O F F S H I P

Tag: Marcus Bastion Marcus Bastion
vDVBrQ1.png
It was a busy day. Reports filed Julius's head and new information was poured constantly on his desk. Diplomatic files, political graphics, secret documents only he and a select few were authorised to read. All of this informations was compiled to prepare a weekly letter addressed to the Imperator and his staff. Among the many professional matters, Julius had decided to arrange a meeting with a Moff of new, a recently appointed planetary governor.

Marcus Bastion seemed to be a competent man, a soldier ready to jump into action, and a loyal servant of the New Order. It was no doubt he had been appointed after his many successful campaigns against the Sith. Hence the Heir had decided to welcome him on Yinchorr, though he had recently made official the isolationist policy of the Governorate. The Moff hoped he would not regret this infraction to his own rule.

As always, Julius Haskler had an objective when welcoming someone into his office. Of course, he would have to assess the young Marcus Bastion and emit an opinion about him. He could also try to investigate to discover his political affiliations, or his level of danger, his ambitions, his assets... There was a lot to discover, and given his young and brash nature, the best was to confront him directly. Maybe try to play the loyalty side? It would be an approach of great honesty, and the old diplomat preferred those.
addkebt.png
Diplomat Haskler will see you now

The sound of his attache speaking in the vestibular warned the Moff that his guest had finally made it through the security checks and layers of control to reach his office. In a moment, the attache would enter and announce...

Moff Bastion to see you Diplomat

"Enter, please", Julius replied without leaving his paperwork. He saw from behind his reports the young Moff enter and present himself. Everything seemed perfectly controlled, the uniform seemed a bit too new to be comfortable, the phrasing was mastered to an acceptable level... Julius's evaluation confirmed what he suspected: the man knew what he was doing and was not a pawn of a Warlord or an unknown power. Marcus Bastion was in control of his own destiny.

Julius finally let go of his reports and turned all the holographs off, save one. He offered a seat to his guest and watched as he sat before deciding to speak.

"For the betterment of the Empire... Yes, I think this is something we will try to work towards. But tell me, Moff Bastion, and the tone had grown from thoughtful to inquisitive, how do you see the Empire develop and better itself? Many interpretations of the concept of Empire exist and... coexist, should I say? Anyway. Our new Imperator has a lot of work ahead and your nomination cannot be an accident: he is in need of loyal servants."

The Anaxsi paused and reached to the last holograph he had kept lit. A chart of the political affiliations of Warlords, Moffs and other officials, and their territory and holdings. He presented the holograph to Bastion before speaking again.

"The Imperial Diplomatic Corps has collected many pieces of information about the various people of power in the Order, and we can precisely assess who is causing disorder and insurgency among our ranks. I personally think the Warlords too attached to their independence should be silenced, one way or another. We have that Galidraan case... If we give them what they want they'll accept to fall under our rule. Then there is the one Grand Admiral, a tough nut to crack. I believe we will find a way to have him submit one day or another. And at last, we have many, many people in the Pellaeonnist party. They should all be forced to submit to the Imperator. Can I count on your support to have these Moffs and Warlords bow?

The Iron Ring is the name we give to worlds staunchly loyal to the Empire, that can be controlled and used as pleased. We have to extend its reach and include many more planets. We cannot let our grip slip from the worlds of the ex-Sith Empire. As Moff of our new territories, you have to show how we will treat the many cultists of the Dark Side, be they aliens, like the Massassis, or political opponents. Wipe them out to the last. All of them.

If I know you can be relied upon, I assure you the Empire will soon reign in master everywhere. But there are steps to take first. The suppression of our opponents and the submission of the independent warlords is the first step of many more. We will have to look further in due time. But, for the moment, can I count on your voice in the Imperial Assembly? For too long, we have spoken divided, but I know you can be of the ones that will bring harmony and order in this assembly. If we speak together, our triumph is assured."

Marcus Bastion scanned the room while not moving his body head or eyes, he had been trained by the ISB after all. Taking in your surroundings while being inconspicuous was a crucial and useful skill that was as useful in the treacherous political arena as it was investigating disadents and traitors to the empire. Not for the first time he reflected that in fact the skills learned as an agent often did transfer over into his skills as a politician. Given he had used those skills to get to attain his current position, it was only appropriate he used those skills now. For the good of the Empire of Course.

The desk while organised clearly had diplomatic files, political rhetoric and more than a few documents marked highly classified. Bastion was too far away to look clearly as to what those files contained, and was mildly disappointed when they were abruptly turned off. All except for one.

Interesting. A document detailing the loyalty, strengths and weaknesses of the various sectors of the Empire, particularly it’s more independent and powerful members. The ones that were the biggest threat to the Empire itself. Not too mention a threat to Marcus himself. Marcus scanned the document quickly and methodically.. Truthfully it confirmed Bastions initial assessment of Diplomat Haskler he would make a powerful ally and a dangerous enemy. It would seem Moff Bastion and Diplomat Haskler had the same enemies and therefore the same agenda. For now atleast.

Marcus lifted his eyes to meet his fellow Imperialist, barely acknowledging the information of the document with a slight nod of approval.

“The betterment of the Empire is clear” Marcus responded to the question “The Empire needs to run efficiently, only with efficiency do you have order, and only through order do you gain power. A strong powerful Empire is crucial to the regions the Imperator know rules after the Chaos and Destruction caused by their previous Sith Overlords.”

“In order to cultivate an efficient, orderly and powerful government, their must be cohesion within the Empire’s territories themselves.

Marcus paused what he had said so far was standard party line rhetoric, what he was about to say was potentially treasonous. Fortunately Diplomat Haskler made the plunge before he did.

“Indeed. The independence and sovereignty of the Warlords is a threat that could destabilise the entire Empire, bringing civil strife and potentially civil war. The other factions of the galaxy need merely support two or three of them with enough weapons and ideals of foolishness. Revolutions have been started for less. Which is why all traces of rebellion and descent need to be dealt with accordingly”

It was a gamble, a throw of the dice for either or both of them to speak so candidly about the internal affairs of the Empire. It was test for both of them, whether the man in front of him was a true patriot, a shrewd tactition and most importantly an ally.

“The Galidraan case should be kept in mind” Bastion acknowledged “As a precedent if nothing else for assimilating other independent minded provinces under Imperial rule. Why waste the resources of military invasion when diplomatic solution is much more efficient.”

“The Warlords desire and rhetoric of independence could be used to our… to the Empire’s advantage. Promise them sovereignty of independent states. We.. The Empire could keep them independent states, isolated from each other and from other factions, lest they become a system of United States against us. Of course if they begin to unite we could us that as a pretext to unite them under the Empire banner.”

Bastion frowned as he analysed the intergalactic geopolitical potential threats.

“Either way it is too early to tell which if either tactics would be the best path to ensure the stability and rule of the Empire.

“As for the Palleonists
” Bastion grimaced “They are at best misguided fools, at worst divisionist traitors. They should be brought to heel.”

Moff Bastion looked up with a sharp eye at the confirmation that this was an invation to join a powerful party of the Empire for the Empire. The Iron Ring. It had a nice Ring to it. Marcus barely stifled a nervous giggle at the thought before turning it into a clearing of the throat.

“I would be proud to join such an endeavour. In fact I would consider it my patriotic duty to do so”

Moff Bastion nodded resolutely

“As for the Sith. They are a vicious, vile, cruel, chaotic people. They are a perfect example of why the Empire is needed. If it weren’t for us they would still be terrorising a significant portion of the galaxy. The other so called benevolent factions did nothing while they existed for decades. It was only through the power of the Empire peace and justice were restored. You can count on me to hunt whats left of the Sith within our territories.”

Moff Bastion considered what to say next very carefully

“As for the Imperial Assembly. I’m sure we can count on each others support. For the good of the Empire.

Julius Haskler Julius Haskler

Imperial Arbiter of the Outer Rim

I M P E R I A L _ M O F F S H I P

Tag: Marcus Bastion Marcus Bastion
vDVBrQ1.png
Moff Bastion was agreeing to everything the Anaxsi had to ask. Surely, he was a man of clear vision. Julius did not see the discussion as being one-sided, but rather a true dialogue between two men understanding the principles and weaknesses of their nation. To see Bastion wasn't frowning upon criticising the government was something of great importance, a quality few possessed.

Now, everything was ahead. It was clear a new party was arising from the corpse of Jaeger Harrsk and the seclusion of Caarlyle Rausgeber. With these two characters out of the way, the Tarkinist ideology was lacking a true leader, someone able to forge the future of the New Imperial Order. If Haskler and Bastion spoke as one, they would quickly convince more Moffs to join a structure devoted to the preservation of an unitary empire.

"Very well, Moff Bastion. I can see your resolve is unshakable. This is a great quality, and your help is without doubt a precious advantage. Now… I think this is all w have time for today. But before you go, I would like you to have this." Julius got his hand on a small silver coin, and handed it to his fellow Moff. "This will be our symbol of reconnaissance, a coin of silver meaning our allegiance to the Imperator and our vision of the Empire. With it, you will have worlds join us from everywhere in the galaxy.

With this coin also comes a mission I would like you to take on. As you have surmised, the Iron Ring is both a geographical and political group. But it needs growth, and I have chosen a person we need to recruit. Moff Fiolette Fortan will not be an easy task, my dear. She is a tough nut to crack, she strongly believes in the old First Order methods and she wants to keep her independence. But she is also an idealist, I guess, and with the right words, you can make her see what the Iron Ring means. If you succeed, we can hope to recruit many more Warlords and Moffs from across the galaxy.

Go now, Moff Bastion. Stand among the others as a paragon of Imperialism. A brilliant future is ahead."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom