Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balmorran Endurance

His repulsorlift ride to the top floor of the complex was a quiet one.

The myriad labs and their scientists and machinists continued to work, disinterested in his presence. He shot past them and watched idly as droid limbs were soldered together and different servos and cords were wired and calibrated. The SD-10 series droids had not been manufactured for several hundred years, but their schematics were easily produced from the databanks and with modern technology a prototype was already in the works. Balmorran had sent him communication that dictated a working model would be available for viewing before the end of the year.

What brought him to Balmorra was less than happy news, however. Alkor glanced down at the datapad he kept hold of and flipped through a few older messages. The pressing matter of expansion had gone from a harsh suggestion to an absolute demand. The Sith had taken and blockaded the sector- Kuat fell first, and Balmorra followed soon after- and a number of the trustees were already pressing to sell to the Sith in order to placate them.

Phagyus normally let Alkor remain in obscurity, wherever in the galaxy he might happen to be. It was not normal that the Technarch of Balmorran contacted the Jen'jidai directly and practically demanded his presence, but the time had come for their majority shareholder to say a few words. Begrudgingly, the Corellian Exile agreed.

He stepped off the lift and into a handful of worried faces. "Gentlemen," he greeted. His robes were far better kept than the normal attire he kept. Golden trim and flowing black silk caught the lighting and swallowed it whole. "Mister Phagyus has informed me that some of you have a mind to take the company's staunch views on dealing with the Sith as more of a suggestion." His gaze flashed across the board and then moved to Phagyus, who shifted uncomfortably. "My Brothers did not resurrect Balmorran Arms and return it to its former glory for its assets to fall into the hands of their greatest enemies. Suggest it again, and you will be thankful that releasing you from your positions is all that I do."

"Mister Centaris," a trustee sat forward rigidly, "are you threatening-"

"I am stating a fact, sir," Alkor interjected, "and you do not have the floor. When I come to this room, you sit down, shut up, and you listen. I do not come here often. Phagyus is very good at running this company without me, and I am content to allow him to do so. Imagine my surprise when he called to tell me that you were losing your nerve?" He stalked forward and placed a hand gently on the table. "Such news brought me from business in the Abrion sector. Now, we will discuss the more urgent matter of relocation," Alkor stated firmly as he gestured to Illyns Phagyus, the fat little arms genius who's vision drove Balmorran Arms into the new generation.

"Yes, of course," Phaygus tittered as he took the floor. Alkor assumed his seat at the head of the table rigidly. "As you know, the fear that grips our directors is brought on in no small part by the looming blockade that has forced sales to a full stop."

"I'm more than aware of it," Alkor snorted. "You try running a bloody blockade in an XJ7."

The rest of the men laughed aloud, some more nervously than others. "Then you are of course aware that this is not good for our business, Master Centaris?" Phagyus locked eyes with the Dark Jedi and did not smile. "An Arms company that does not sell arms will not stay alive for very long, Alkor. You must consider this."

"You make and market the best bloody killing machines in the galaxy," Alkor spat as he leaned forward. "Punch a damn hole in the blockade and show the Sith what Balmorran can do."

"With respect, sir," Phagyus coughed slightly, "we are a business, not a militant force. Even if we were to exercise defiance to the Sith threat, we can not guarantee the safety of our development team, nor can we prevent significant losses. It would be a dangerous move at best."

Alkor nodded. "I understand entirely," he allowed as he closed his eyes. "I would not ask that of any of you. I have several locations along the Mara Corridor that are currently being surveyed. The moment I have acquired land and the necessary permits, I will personally command an attack on the Blockade and Balmorran Arms can expand in the Outer Rim. Those of you who fear to continue doing business at the Corporate Headquarters will be allowed to operate from the new site without fear of repercussion."

Several smiles appeared on the faces in the group. "Those of you who are still afraid may return with me to the Abrion sector and oversee development of the new site once it has begun." He turned to Phaygus again. "That matter aside. This was originally a meeting of the board. Please, indulge me with your normal proceedings."

The Technarch smiled widely.

"These," Phaygus stated proudly as the holodisplay shifted, "are our newest designs."

2190365_orig.jpg
Rail-Gun-concept-Sparth.jpg

The two designs appeared on the display and slowly orbited the central pylon. Alkor watched intently, slightly disinterested in small arms when they did not involve blades. "We have development teams working day and night with the technical readouts of our Slingshot rail gun- the starfighter mounted weapon, if you recall..."

"This is a genius concept," one of the investors spoke up. "Personal arms have been hot ticket items on the market for years. We've lost shareholders to BlasTech and several larger firms because Droid armies are less and less efficient to buy en masse. Gone are the days when people outsourced for their infantry for fear of losses. Human lives come relatively cheaper."

"Spoken like a true Ironmonger," Alkor chuckled. "Always thinking about the best way to profit from loss of life."

"Says the man who virtually owns the company," Phaygus smirked. "You're too pragmatic to be making pointless accusations, Alkor, let's dispense with the sarcasm, shall we?" Alkor waved a hand in deference. "At any rate, the scaling is going well, we are pleased to report. It is taking a great deal of time to manage focusing the shot into a smaller round and utilizing a metal that can withstand the initial burst from an electromagnetically driven slug without warping or shorting out."

Alkor tilted his head. "You can't use an EMP hardened coating?" he asked.

Phaygus glanced at him. "We tried several types of EMP hardening and it sufficiently dampened the electromagnets, to the point where it made the slug immensely less efficient. You might as well have a slugthrower."

"I suppose Beskar is out," he mused. Several of the others in the room laughed aloud.

"Are you going to buy it from the Mandalorians?" one of them jeered. "Or take it? Unless you can give us a constant flow of the stuff, let's work within realistic constraints, Mr. Centaris."

Alkor matched the other man's gaze silently. "Tests have been positive with regard to Duranium," Phaygus continued. "And with a tungsten coil, the prototype seems to react well to the firing process. We have that weapon on hand, if you'd like to field test it, Alkor?"

He blinked. "Fire a gun?" he asked skeptically. "I mean, I see no harm in it..."

"Grand," the stout man clapped. "We needed a humanoid to monitor for the stress test, just to gauge recoil."

"Wait, what?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom