Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baffor you go, leaf the bees.

It was an age old question, presented to species across the universe. Some point along the evolutionary chain, a choice was made. Not by the species so much as by the environment, by the demands made by a ruthless nature. Where survival and fitness were the only prizes for an otherwise unforgiving system. For the individual, for the group as whole, each species deviated as need and by whatever measure was required for life. Otherwise, they ceased to exist. This was the circumstance for ever ecosystem, no matter how peaceful or serene it might appear. Deserts, swamps, mountains, tundra. Even the grain of grass, blowing softly in the open field, is subject to predation. The age old question, to go forward or to defend. To thorn or to flower.

"Watcha drawin'?"

Gabe looked up from the stained parchment, charred stick of willow in hand. The sheriffs office was dusty and coated in a natural paint that some might refer to as dirt. Hard to keep it out during the drought. The pencil, crafted in a forge near the back lot of the homestead, tapped against the paper as he thought quietly.

"Just doodling."
"Looks like a swamp to me."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yep."

Gabe leaned back in his chair, eyeing the ad-hoc deputy. "How you would know what a swamp looks like? You ever seen one?"
"Looked 'em up before."
"Why?"
"Why not?"

Gabe laughed and nodded. "Fair enough." He started sketching again. "I remember seeing this rose out in a swamp but for the life of me, I can't recall whether it had thorns or not." He looked towards the deputy who was, for all intents and purposes, was loitering idly about. "Don't you have some work to be doing?"

"Yep. That's why I'm here actually. Gotta docket for ya."

Sheriff set the pencil down and crossed his arms. "Yeah? Well spit it out, what's the issue."

The deputy handed over a datapad for Gabe to look through. He began scrolling as the young man explained. "Got a case of vagrancy and vandalism. Some migrants moving through."

"What sort of damage we talking about?"
"Depends on what you mean by...'damage.'" The man made dog ear symbols as he spoke.
"Says here, damage to the thoroughfare duracrete. What the hell were they doing?"
"Scroll to the attached pictures."

Gabe flicked his wrist as the datapad made a scrolling sound, light flashing as he stopped at a picture of a main road through the street. "Are these..." He squinted. "Flowers?"

"Yes sir. Seems they were going around causing plant growth throughout the city."
"Huh." He handed the datapad back. "You didn't arrest them, did you?"
"I sure did. Breaking the law, I can't abide that."

He rubbed his temples and sighed, looking over at the empty cells. "I don't see them anywhere."

"Well, that's sort of the catch." He got up and moved to the coat hanger behind the door. Pulling Gabe's duster from the hook, he tossed it over. "They were a bit too big to be accommodated by our current facilities."

It was a short walk to the metal working factory. The heavy doors slid open with a knock and the duo was met by an elderly man, long handlebar mustache curling up this eyes. Skin of tanned orange and hair of white.

"Heard you have some visitors."
"Aye. Not of my own accord though."
"Well, we're sorry about the inconvenience. We'll get them out of your hair momentarily."
"See that you do, Sheriff. Had to shut down the whole manufacturing process to clean up this mess."
"Mess?"
"Come on in, see what I'm talking about."

Gabe gave a nod before being ushered in. The warmth of steam and the smell sulfur was still pungent from chemical processing. A few rounded corners and he was in the major processing portion, machines put on halt for the day due to the caused delays. As he came around, he was greeted with what appeared to be giant yellow lizards. Massive legs, arms, and flat noses with large glowing eyes. He shook his head, looking at a couple of employees mopping up the slime trail as the species lumbered about in the empty space.

"You said they were big but..."
"You're right. I did say they were big."
"What are they?"
"Customs made them out to be morodin."
"Morodin?"
"Yep."
"They speak?"
"Well...they growl."
"Ah. Grab a translator...wait. Customs?"
"Oh yeah, they were confiscated through customs before being released."

Gabe held up his hand, incredulous. "I'll hear the story from them."

Another employee walked over, providing the translator in the form of box that one speaks into. Gabe scrolled through, finding a basic Morodin translation. It was likely a simple algorithm, but enough to get by. Finding a metal chair, he pulled it along the soot covered floor before positioning it within comfortable distance of the roaming beasts. He held the item to his mouth, clicked it on, and spoke. What came out was a dual toned growl, marked by a low and high pitch, denoting a question.

[Where are you from?]

Both responded with a stop in their movement and a turn of the head.

​A long growl emanated from the largest of the three beasts, with a head tilted towards the ceiling. Lines across the translator moved with perceived vibration, spitting out the response to the sound of a robo voice.

[VARONAT]

Gabe tilted his head, scratching the back of his scalp as he lifted the translator to his lips. A growl echoed his words.

[Why are you here?]

All three turned there heads towards the sheriff and despite the language barrier, he could sense offense. Holding up his hands, he paused, attempting to disarm himself. The smallest of the three lumbered forward, lowering itself to lay upon the dark floor. Eyes of emerald staring back towards the man. The growl that escaped it's mouth seemed almost a grunt compared to the larger specimen, hushed and softer. The translator went to work once more.

[Taken from Varonat. To be hunted. For Safari. For sport.]
[By choice?]
[No. Taken.]

Gabe clenched his teeth, turning towards the deputy. "You said customs?"
"Yep."
"Where were they to be transported to?"
"Uhh..." The deputy flipped through the data pad. "Madame Higgins, estate south of the Barons Knoll."
"Yeah..." Gabe held up his hand. "I know of her."
"I'd hope so. She's a very prominent member of a very prominent family."
"Yeah." He sighed. "I assume no one has brought her up on charges of illegal import and illegal trade of exotic species?"
The deputy laughed until he realized the Sheriff was serious. "Oh god, of course not. Are you crazy?"
"Yeah, maybe."

Gabe lifted the piece to his mouth and spoke once more.

[Why were you taken? Why you three?]
[Wanted to explore. Wanted to grow. Elders betrayed us.]
[I'm sorry to hear that.]
[Why. Were you betrayed?]
[No. But I understand how it must feel. Do you desire to return to Varonat?]
[To be betrayed again. No. Never.]

Gabe nodded and exhaled loudly, turning to the deputy. "Get the commissioner on the line, I need to discuss relocation."
"Why? Aren't we going to ship them back?"
Gabe cracked his neck and stood. "I don't chew my cabbage twice. On the line, now."

He crossed one arm over his stomach, propping the other up, as he spoke into the communication device.

​"Commissioner? Yes, this is Gabriel Sionoma." He smiled and nodded. "I'm doing alright, how are you? Good good, well I just needed to discuss some things with you."

He sat back down in the chair, turning on the speaker as requested. "Alright, I've got you on speaker." Gabe had already shooed everyone out besides the deputy. Resting the phone on his knee, he began.

"So, I'm sitting down at the metal sheeting factory..."
"One down in the industrial sector?"
"Yep, the one that's still running."
"Ok. What's the problem?"
"Well, customs recently picked up import of an exotic species. Morodin. Seems they were meant for an illegal hunt of some sort."
"Ok. Do we know who greenlit that import?"
"Custom agents returned a shipping invoice for Madame Higgins."
"Ah, that's not good."
"No, but one foot in front of the other. We can sort that situation out a bit later."

He looked towards the Deputy and tongued the side of his cheek, a natural tendency when he was about to ask something he assumed would get resistance.

"Ok, so what is our current situation?"
"Well we can't send them back to Varonat, where they originated. So we need to figure out a place to relocate them."
"Why can't we return them?"
"Well, we could. But if we did, I would be forced to inform the Alliance of our indirect support of slave trade."
"How's that?"
"These are sentient beings, kidnapped from their planet, and sold to slavery for the purpose of being hunted by a prominent member of our society. Anything but strict enforcement of the law is condoning the act."
"Ah..." The silence echoed from the device as a heavy exhalation could be heard on the other side. "You know, you're a real pain in my ass, Gabe."
"Yes, sir. I'm aware."
"So...you have a plan I assume?"
"Yes, sir. A substantial sum of acreage near the homestead is currently foreclosed and unused for agriculture. I'd like to turn that over to them with strict instructions on working the land. In turn, they can use it as a home."
"You just want to give them land?"
"Well, sort of? If it makes it easier, you can make me administrator of the land. I'll ensure overall improvement of the land."

He looked back over to the deputy, who was shaking his head. Obviously he had no faith in the proposition. Gabe smiled and looked back towards the communicator.

"What's the benefit to us?"
"Besides good publicity?" He motioned for the datapad, handed over by the deputy. "Well, seems the Morodin are capable of significantly improving biologic yield. Laymens terms, they are extremely efficient at not only crop growth, but crop improvement. Now, that land that's foreclosed is in that state because the former owner stripped nutrients from the soil. The new tenets should be able to restore it."
"Ah. Yeah, that's interesting." Gabe thought he might have heard a yawn on the other side. "Fine, do it. But I expect reports on yield, monthly. Take care of this and give me a call a bit later, we'll discuss how we proceed with Madame Higgins and her estate."
"Of course. Thank you commissioner."

He hung up the communication device and handed it back to the deputy. Lifting the translator with a smile, he spoke into it.

[I have good news.]

[Good news?]
[Yes. We have land that can forage and use. Away from the city.]
[Describe this land.]

He scratched his beard as he tried to picture the property. It had been a while since he crossed over into the parcel, some issue with vermin back before the farmer abandoned the land and left the planet without paying taxes for land use.

[Well. Right now, it's barren. A lot of nutrients were stripped from the topsoil.]
[Organic layer is depleted?]
[Yes. It borders my property.]
[Describe your property.]

He breathed in heavily and smiled. "Uhh..." He cut on the translator.

[Large homestead on even larger sized land. Open field of grain and wild flowers bordered on the back lot by a forest and grove. Includes exotic plants such as Baffor, Ankarres, and force sensitive trees. I've recently began hives for an apiary.]
[Apiary?]
[It's for bees.]
[We know apiary. How do the bees fare?]
[Quite well, actually.]
[We will be the judge of that. The land is barren. From till or burn?]
[Tilling. We have strict laws on burning due to drought.]
[What is your source of water? Rain?]
[Yes, though it's minimal. We have Tap trees that provide as well.]
[Good.]

Good. He shook his head and smiled, watching as the Morodin stood up and stretched, approaching the larger specimens. He looked down at the slime trail and squinted.

[Is there anyway you can control that?] He pointed to the trail as the small Morodin turned and looked over.

[Yes but it is difficult. Why?]
[Its caused substantial damage to our roads and aqueducts, I believe.]
[We will do our best.]
[Thank you.]

Gabe turned to the deputy and signaled him to head out. "Get the force ready and clear the streets. I'll walk them out."
"How they getting there, we don't have anything big enough to carry 'em."
"Nah, I'll walk them out there. Should only take a half a day or so."
"Okay." He headed out and Gabe turned back to the beasts as they seemed to congregate.

[How are you all with walking long distances?]
[WE ARE FORAGERS!] The big one howled and Gabe lifted his hand, trying to tone him down.
[Fair enough.]

[Are you ready to go?]
[Yes.]

He nodded and hit the switch, the giant docking bay doors opened to flood the factory with an abundance of light. The Morodin moved slowly across the facility, Gabe leading the way, as he caught the owner with a shake of the hand.

"Sorry about the inconvenience. We appreciate you accommodating us for the time being."
"No problem." He rubbed his fingers through the long curling tails of his mustache. "Just glad I can get the factory up and running, sooner than I expected too."
"Yeah, good news all around. Thanks again." Tipping his hat, he waved the lumbering Morodin out into the streets. Cleared of anyone, he glanced the looky lous peeking out from shuttered windows. Giving a wave, he motioned for the Morodin to follow.

The walk was a slow one, the sort that felt like the aliens were taking in the sights with every slow stalking step. Eyes lifting from the ground to the buildings up to the skies and slow clouds moving across the blue horizon. It was early morning with the start of the walk and he assumed by the time they were done, it would be evening. So half a day may have been a generous guess. Slowing his pace as he cleared the city, they found the dirt path that would lead out to the homestead.

[What are you?]

Gabe turned to look over his shoulder. He was quickly realizing that the smaller of the three was the female of the group, mannerisms and expressions was enough to more than convince him. Lifting the translator to his mouth, the growl escaped the device.

[I'm Kiffar and Arkanian.]
[Both are poor locations for plant growth.]
[We have plants on Arkania, they're just small and shrubby. But resilient.]
[They can tolerate the cold?]
[Yes. Produce heat that thaws ice and snow during flowering.]
[You know much about plants.]
[Some, though likely not nearly as much as you.]

With that, she lifted her head, growling away from the reception of the translator. The growl felt almost warm, response of the males indicated an increase in walking speed. Each heavy step resulting in a plum of dirt lifting from the road.

[May we release slime on this road?]

He looked around and shook his head.

[Wont do much good, this is traveled enough that the plants will get trampled.]

Looking over his shoulder, he perceived the disappointment and shrugged, scratching his shoulder.

[Go ahead, won't hurt anything.]
[Thank you.]

[WHAT IS YOUR NAME?] The big one lumbered forward, pushing the female aside.

Gabe rubbed his ear, not realizing just how loud the big male was until he was right next to him. Clicking on the translator.

[Gabe.]
[THAT IS A FUNNY NAME!]
[Oh yeah? Well what's yours?]
[SAMARANDAMERKINE]
[THAT IS A LONG NAME!] He looked towards the Morodin and smiled. [I'm gonna call you Sam. Or Maranda. Maybe both.]

The small Morodin moved forward, trotting for a moment.

[Maranda sounds nice.]

[AHHHHHHHH]
[What?]

Gabe looked up towards the big one, lumbering about clumsily as it seemed predetermined to do. It lifted it's neck, jowls vibrating as it roared.

[I HAVE DECIDED. I LIKE THE SOUND OF MARANDA TOO.]

Gabe offered a smile as he turned back towards the road, the image of the homestead coming into view.

[Well, it's settled then.]

~~~
[You said barren. I did not expect this.]
[Yeah.]

He knelt as the Morodin moved through the open field, heavy winds scattering the dry soil. With the loss of vegetation, the reduction in moisture, and the removal of organics, there was nothing left to keep the soil in place. Erosion by wind had become a very big issue. He gripped the soil as it fell through his fingers, time long running out for this place. But nothing was set in stone.

[We must begin our work.]
[Of course. Did you want to see the nearby property? We can pillage some seed stock for you to work with.]
[Yes.]

She let out a growl to her companions, they returned with head tilts and silence, continuing to move along straight paths. Leaving slime in their wake. Gabe led the female towards the forest of his property, the slow transition from bare soil to fibrous material and then grass was indicative of a change. And then thick roots growing long and deep, cutting through the earth in search of water. The eyes of the Morodin looked upwards as they moved through the steady hardwoods, following a manufactured drain, and the sudden proliferation of baffor trees.

[Arkanian.]
[I'm only half Arkanian.]

She didn't seem to catch that, moving forward towards the trees. Her forelimb pressed against the glass of a trunk.

[These plants speak to me.]
[Yes, they are quite moving to look upon.]
[No. They speak.]
[You mean...]
[Yes.]
[Can you understand them?]
[Without that device. Can you understand me?]

He shook his head, gripping the translator tightly as his arm dropped to his side. He could have sworn, as her head turned to face him, that she smiled.

[But if I cried out in happiness. Or in grief. Or in pain. You could tell. Yes?]
[I believe so, yes.]
[Then you understand. These trees are. Happy.]

Her simple explanation was cosmic in itss meaning, such a nuanced metaphor. He looked blankly at the tree just as the Morodin snapped her head to the side. Just then, a bee flew by, carrying golden nuggets of pollen along its back legs.

[Where are your hives?]

He pointed down through a foraging corridor, raising the instrument to his lips.

[Just down that way. Why?]

Before she could answer or choose to do so, she was moving slowly down the path. Baffor trees and large oaks, leaves falling to the covered forest floor, scraped at the beasts head as she walked. But as Gabe followed, he perceived a feeling that she didn't seem to mind. As if she had expected barren deserts throughout Sulon, like Barons hed was the indicator for all things in this world. And before long, the plants had shifted to the large circle of Ankarres and force sensitive trees. And light peppering of hives throughout.

[We have only recently established the hives, they are still acclimating.]
[No. They are beyond that now.]

He raised an eyebrow as he moved around the Moridin and gestured towards the frames.

[Top bars. Bit more natural for this climate, allows the comb to be constructed in balance with the humidity. I try to only open them in the morning...]

Before he could lift his hand to tell her to stop, the top of the frame was open and the bees seemed oddly unphased. Reaching in, she lifted a wooden bar to reveal a crude construction of comb covered in workers and nurse bees.

[Those trees that speak. They have provided the structure?]
[Uhh, no. I tried to focus the bees on Ankarres only.]
[You failed. But you were right, they are doing very well.]
[They are using baffor to construct their hives?]
[Is that what the plant is called? If so, yes.]
[Why?]
[They must have their reasons.]

She lowered the frame back into the top bar and dropped the cover back over. As far as he could tell, she was either immune to the sting of bees or they simply had no interest in her. He hadn't quite gotten the knack for avoiding it.

[Is there a way to have them focus more on the other trees?]
[The bee will use what is available. More pollen, more nectar, happier bees. We can't change the bees, but we can change the trees.]

He looked towards the Ankarres, thinking about that meeting with Kep. Before long, she was moving back out towards the other property.

[Come, Arkanian. We must gather seeds.]

He lifted his hand up to make a correction and lowered it slowly, accepting the title for the time being.

The tree yawned with the gust of dry wind, cradled between outstretched and eroded fingers of the orange canyon. The Zelosion sat quietly beneath it's shadow, wading through the pools the collected around its exposed roots. Roots that seemed to be layered, portions of brown with the inner flesh revealed as wounds. But where sap may have normally seeped, water collected in droplets that descended peacefully to the pool below. It was a beautiful day, though every day had components of beauty when one knew where to look. For Relit, it was in the quiet serenity and comfort of the agriculture moon, just out of orbital reach of Sullust. The way the planet stood in the blue horizon, a faded silhouette of itself, was something of a wonder. The balance that he seemed to search for was consistently in view, volcanic world anchored to the productive satellite above.

Dropping his fingers through the cool water, he felt an ease come over him. The whispers of the winds as it ruffled the trees of the nearby Ankarres and baffor trees, the way the force sensitive trees spoke in hums and bends of the bark, it was all a wondrous combination of communication. Open for interpretation for all those who were willing to listen. But the muffled sounds were further dampened, riddled by the sound of heavy footsteps against tufts of prairie grass that led the way from the homestead to the Tap Tree. The earth beneath his feet, cobbled substrate and thalwegs of sand and silt, seemed to resonate in correspondence with it. That the moon seemed a celestial body in orbit, he found revelation in the sensitivity of the moon to transcribe even the smallest vibrations of a footstep. To be so steadily connect to the scales, foot prints and cosmic orbits, all seemed astonishing.

Just over the hill, he noticed a large beast as he moved away from the pool. Dripping water to the grass below, he padded to his pants and shoes. Quickly putting them on, he lifted his hand to block the high noon sky. And to wave. The beast either didn't notice or didn't seem to care, which was fine, communication came in many forms. It wasn't until the creature got closer that Relit realized just how large it truly was. And that it seemed to be leaving a permanent impression of its wake through the reeds. And then they were face to face. The dark skinned Jedi Master smiled, dropping his hand with a nod.

"Wow, you're quite big, aren't you?"

A metallic device, clenched in the forehand of the beast, made a wailing noise in chime with a red light across the box. The beast leaned forward and moaned into the box, a robotic voice came out.

[You. Are plant.]

Relit laughed, arching a brow, as he looked at the device and then back to the Moridin.

"Indeed I am. What gave it away?"

[Come. Plant. Must show you something.]

Relit scratched his head as the thing turned away and started walking back. "You can call me, Relit."

[Come. Leek. You are needed.]

"Leek?" He said under his breath, shaking his head as he followed. "That's a new one."

"You plan on shedding some light on the situation or...am I to be kept in suspense?"

The Morodin returned no answer as they moved through the open field that separated the Tap Tree habitat and the steadily growing forest of hardwoods, sitting fruitfully on the back lot of the Homestead property. Relit hadn't ventured near to the house, that he could recall, as he remained somewhat wary of the man who owned the property. While it was stated that he had redeemed himself, it was hard to accept that a man could so fully remove himself from the taint of the darkside. He didn't know Gabe, not well enough to make judgement, but the sound decision in his mind led to an abundance of avoidance. It was odd, to be so suspicious of one whom Relit was beholden. After all, without the 'Sheriff of Sulon,' the Zelosian would have never known the wonders of the Tap Tree.

As they entered the hardwood forest, the canopy quickly closed around them as they followed a foraging canal for flying mammals and birds and the like. Fingers of branches stretched out overhead, bud scars sending out shoots as the trees interlocked fingers, forming an expanse of connection across the overstory. Blocking out most of the light, the herbaceous and shrub strata was relatively sparse, leading to somewhat easy walking as the large creature and Relit moved quietly through. But the silence was a blessing as the man was taken back by the beauty of the forest, the way it had grown into something awe inspiring. Even during the day, he could have sworn he spotted fire flies and their pulsing glow in the distance.

"I had not realized the irony of my question until this moment..." He spoke quietly, as to not interrupt the natural order of things, while taking off his sunglasses and pocketing them.

[Iron. There is no iron.]

"Not...not Iron." He looked back up to the creature who had since craned it's next, to look down upon him. With a wave, he laughed and shook his head. "Doesn't matter."

[Few things rarely do.]

Emerald eyes blinked, the depth of the statement was only equaled by Relit's level of disagreement with it. But he mentally shrugged as they moved, the under-story opening up as the light from the high noon cut through the canopy. Curtains of light, catching flecks of gold pollen and fallen leaves, shimmered through a hole where a single tree was on display. Relit didn't recognize the species and it seemed he wouldn't need to. He moved towards it, placing his calloused palm against the trunk, and felt the looseness of the bark. Something was wrong.

[You are plant. Help us fix this.]

Relit turned his attention back to the Morodin, his hand fixed upon the trunk. It didn't take a plant to see the struggles of another species, the signs were all there on full display. "What's wrong with the tree?"

[We were hoping. You could tell us.]

"It's a parasite..." Emerald eyes glanced towards the bark, small holes burrowed into the trunk. He thumbed at them, feeling the pain of the tree and how it wasn't nearly as isolated as he initial thought. Turning, he scanned the area and for those trees that shared similar branching and similar foliage, the leaves were beginning to wilt. The trunks were even starting to show a graying.

"A type of beetle..." He looked back to the tree at hand and shook his head. "Is this tree native to Sulon."

[No. But the Beetle is.]

"What does it normally feed on, then, if not this species tree?"

[Prairie grasses.]

Fingers curled against the wood, nails scrapping at the spongy texture of the bark. Soft, yet brittle, he retracted his hand and investigated the material beneath his fingers. "Worlds span the distance between grasses and trees."

[I do not understand.]

He returned a smile, scratching his forehead as he paced around the tree. Simple terms, deep meanings. "The difference between a grass species and a tree species. A beetle that consumes grass is not likely to predate on an introduced tree species unless...it was manipulated in some way."

[Yes. Exactly.]

"Yes...exactly?" He turned his attention from the Morodin back to the tree, hand placed against the trunk. With a certain soothing aura, he reached into it, feeling the grooves and the anatomy within. First the bark, then the cambium, and then to the sapwood. He could have gone further but it was evident that this was where the damage was taking place. He had known of infestations taking to the heartwood but those were often originating from more viral or fungal disease. This destruction was largely physical.

"They have girdled this tree, ridding the circulatory tissue of its ability to transport nutrients."

[Yes. Exactly.]

"And you want me to do something about it?"

[Yes. If you can.]

"I can, but I don't know if I should."

[I don't understand.]

"Of course not." He pulled his hand away from the tree, picking at the bark once more beneath his nails, before turning to the large creature. Holding his palm towards the ground, he rocked it back and forth in expression. "You have introduced an alien species of tree to this planet. On top of this, you have altered the natural grasses in this ecosystem without any foresight towards how this would impact the surrounding fauna. And now you want me to pick these insects off this plant?"

[Yes.]

He shook his head, chuckling. "These insects have adapted to the changes that have been placed on their native habitat. You would would have me hinder their survival, survival which displays how truly fit they are." He frowned as he turned back to the tree, consoling it with a calloused palm against the wood. "I'm sorry. But I wont help you continue to alter this environment."

[If you don't help. The trees will die.]

"Some times death is a part of life." He looked over to gauge the reaction of the creature, a response that surprised him.

The Morodin moved, blinking its yellow eyes at the Zelosian. As he moved, he circled the dying tree, the nutrient sludge leaving a translucent wake in the displaced leaves of bafforr, ankarres, and other remaining hardwoods. Relit looked towards the ground and then stepped away and back into the woods, watching quietly, as the secretion slowly seeped into the ground. Kneeling, he cleared a patch of detritus and pushed his presence into the soil. Below, he could see the roots of trees and the network beneath them. The fibers swelled, akin to being shocked back to life, as they began to throb and take in nutrients. The Morodin continued it's path three times, ever larger circles until the clearing was covered in the ooze. Relit simply shook his head, crossing his arms.

"If you could help the plant, why bother asking me?"

The beast didn't respond at first, evidently the trail creation required ample concentration. Coming to a stop upon completion, he lifted the device once more to his mouth and whispered a growl.

[Words do not make a being. Actions do.]

Relit smirked, nodding in agreement. "What did you do, then?"

[Sapwood will refortify. Still supply beetle with nutrients. Relationship will be more mutualistic.]

"Protection in exchange for shelter and food?"

[Yes.]

Relit nodded once more, clapping his hands free of leaf shavings. "Well. It was nice to meet you...Uh..." He pointed at the beast and tilted his head.

[The hairy Arkanian called me Eric.]

"Hairy Arkanian..." He scratched the hair on his chin before turning, waving back to the creature. "Take care Eric." He had a Tap Tree to observe and so little time to do it.

"Ah Gabe, you don't need to be doing that."
"Well...I'm off duty so I figured I would abide."
"You're still the law and order around here."
"Not while I'm drinking, I'm not."

The bartender had a steely gaze, though warm in expression. A metal bearing, red hot from the sun, and a smile to boot. And between his hands, glasses always being cleaned by an old rag. Frayed at the edges and holes in the corner, constantly cleaning. Gabe sat down at the stool, pushing the pistol just a bit more across the lacquer. The server frowned, overhead lamp shining brightly across the gloss of his bald head, as he snorted and took the pistol. With a turn, a roulette moved at the command of a button, the wall shifting as lockers came into view. Pushing the pistol in, he shut it and pulled the key out. The mirror descended to conceal it once more. And where Gabe once held a pistol, he now had a key and a small elderly woman sitting next to him.

"Mother, what will it be?"
"Damnit boy, I done told you to not call me that."

The bartender smiled and looked towards Gabe.

"We brought our own drink tonight. We'll take two glasses." He held up his fingers with a smirk. "Clean glasses."
"Not a dirty one in the house."
"Of course."

The bartender set two napkins down, followed by two small tumblers. From his pocket, Gabe pulled out a ceramic bottle and set it on the counter. The old woman's eyes brightened as she sat forward, rubbing her hands together. Nearly toothless, she giggled.

"Oh my. What we celebrating?!?"
"Well..." He stated nonchalantly, watching the bartender take off to deal with other affairs. He poured her drink first, then his. "I have it on good authority that it's someones birthday today."
"The hell you say!"

He stopped pouring and set the drink down. With two fingers, he scooted her glass away. She shook her head and sighed. "Fine fine, yes it's my birthday. Now give it."

He smiled and scooted it back. She took to cradling the mead between the fingers. "How many years does that make?"
"None of your god damn business, boy-o!" He let out a laugh.
"You've always been so charming."
"I know it." She cooed as she rested the drink against her chest before taking a small sip. Letting out a long breath, she offered a smile in response. "It's real good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom