Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ASB-85 "Dirge" Advanced Proton Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
1280px-BLU-82_bomb_at_National_Museum_of_the_USAF_%28090122-F-1234P-004%29.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a bomb to use against shielded enemies
  • Image Source: BLU-82
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: EODD
  • Affiliation: Second Fleet of the Silver Spacy (SJO)
  • Model: ASB-85 “Dirge” Advanced Proton Bomb
  • Modularity: N/A
  • Production: Limited
  • Material: Durasteel, Hadrium alloy, Proton charge
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Unguided Bomb
  • Size: Large
  • Weight: Very Heavy
  • Ammunition Type: Bomb
  • Ammunition Capacity: 2 per launcher
  • Reload Speed: Average
  • Effective Range: Average
  • Rate of Fire: Very Low
  • Stopping Power: Extreme
  • Recoil: N/A
SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:
  • Individual Field Disruptor: Each unit is equipped with an individual field disruptor, a piece of technology set up to ‘cut’ a hole in shields to allow an object to pass through. Typically these are used on infantry or vehicles to pass through shields, however on a bomb dropped from above, this can be devastating to massed troops or protected areas on a battlefield.
  • Massive Proton Charge: Proton bombs are nothing to shake a stick at. The blast from them is extremely powerful, capable of dealing extensive damage to ships or, if used in atmosphere, gathered enemy troops with a 200m blast radius.
Weaknesses:
  • Specialized Bomber Required: These units are designed in a way that makes it impossible for them to fit most existing bomber structures, requiring them to be carried and dropped by a specialized craft, limiting their potential for use in combat.
  • Unguided: No guidance package is present on the bomb, meaning that they’re dropped straight down upon delivery. While in space used against ships this isn’t too much of an issue, atmospheric use requires calculations and predictions on the part of the pilot or bomber.
  • Projectile Weaponry: Easily protected from energy weaponry due to the hadrium alloy preventing significant heat buildup, the bomb’s casing is weak to projectiles fired from mass drivers, and the arming device can be destroyed, triggering the bomb before it reaches its target.
DESCRIPTION

A specialized version of the typical proton bomb, the ASB-85 is designed for one thing and one thing only: penetrating shields and obliterating everything beneath it. A common sight on the battlefield, shields have always been the bane of armies, and individual disruptors have been a way to get past them. The recent Mandalorian assault on Kashyyyk proved how effective this can be, when Mandalorian raiders using personal disruptors managed to successfully pass through a planetary shield. EODD personnel in orbit and saw this, and after several other observances of enemies utilizing shields to protect their troops, it was decided to utilize this technology in a similar, more destructive fashion.

Constructed from a durasteel and hadrium combination, the bomb’s casing is sturdy enough to resist incoming fire from even high-grade laser weaponry, though it can still be penetrated by projectiles fired from mass drivers, a typical tradeoff in EODD-made ordnance. The key components however are further inside rather than the exterior. A massive proton charge is kept stable enough for transport inside, holding it steady until the charge can be armed before being dropped on a target. The disruptor is activated as well before delivery, allowing it to safely pass through the bomber’s shields to keep it protected from incoming fire. It’s most vulnerable while dropping through the air or the void of space if used in a fleet engagement, as in atmosphere the bombs rely on momentum and gravity to carry them to their targets, while in space they rely on a magnetic attractor to carry them. During this time they can be destroyed by kinetic weaponry relatively easily, however should they reach their target, a 200m radius blast takes effect, potentially leaving a massive amount of destruction in its wake.

[member="Errreembuhr"], I'm a bit wary of an ordinance being employed on this large of scale that outright ignores shields. While there have been some shield-ignoring weapons (like solar ionization cannons), they typically have had some notable balancing factors in there that limit their offensive ability to be about roughly the same as other weapons. I think we need to something like that here at limited production.

One option would be to significantly reduce its outright destructive power to something like a proton torpedo or two (despite it taking up the space of 8 such weapons, etc). You may be able to think of other ways to balance it raw destructive power out, which I am open to hearing about.

Alternatively, you could this as is for the most part with semi-unique production. I would like to see an explicit number of bombs if you go this route.

[member="Errreembuhr"], I think that's a step towards a possible solution. Making it atmosphere only definitely takes care of the concern that this won't be used to take out large ships in a single pass (in orbital combat), which was my initial concern when seeing this sub.

However, even when limited to ground use, I think that level of power is going to be too much. The level of firepower that this seems to suggest that it could wipe out something like multiple AT-ATs or even a planetary shield generator itself. That type of power is still likely to be game-breaking.

As a possible suggestion, this idea of atmosphere-only could work with a really small (~2-5 meters diameter), but intense blast. This is the sort of thing that could be used for surgical attacks to destroy small targets or partially disable larger targets, but lacks the raw power to make large-scale shielding worthless.

[member="Gir Quee"] while I agree on a smaller tactical blast being fitting, that would turn the submission into something entirely different than the original intended item. It would be perfect for a guided tactical missile, not an unguided bomb. Changing it that much would make it more or less a different submission, so if possible I'd like to request that this be denied or archived, not sure how it works to drop a submission like that.

[member="Errreembuhr"], I'll move to the archive shortly then. If you ever think of a different way or train of thought that involves this concept, you can always request that it be pulled from the archive. Then you can edit it.

Moved to Factory Archives - If you want to remove from the archives, please feel free to tag [member="Jamie Pyne"], [member="Zef Halo"], [member="Lily Kuhn"], or [member="Gir Quee"].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom