Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech ArmTech M6-RSC (Modular Railgun Sniper Complex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Railgun_V2_Highres_by_The_5.jpg
Railgun_V2_Field_Strip_by_The_5.jpg
Image Credit: The-5
Intent: To create an incredibly powerful and effective Anti-Material rifle for use by the Mandalorian Red Legion and other approved factions and very exclusive customers.
Development Thread:
Manufacturer: ArmTech Systems Incorporated
Model:
Affiliation: Mandalorians, Allied factions and approved Individuals.
Modularity: Yes, that's one of the features this weapon excels at. Due to it still firing actual projectiles, different kinds of "bullets" can be used. The most common is the "AP (Armor Piercing)" Variant, but the "API (Armor Piercing Incendiary)" Round can be used to add a lil' explosive ordanance. The classic sniper accessories can also be added including state of the art scopes and durable bipod systems.

There is an extendable "leg", which pops out underneath the butt of the sniper, for extra stability in tandem with the bipod.
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Highly magnetic metals are used for the rails, the rails rest on Tungsten plates to stop the outside of the gun from melting. The exterior is a Carbon-Titanium mix.
Description: The MRSC is a very interesting and cutting-edge weapon using something which could be classified as "old technology". The weapon is essentially a handheld Railgun Sniper Complex, as is indicated in the name, and this weapon was designed for antimateriel purposes, deeming blasters ineffective against heavily armored targets and also targets capable of repelling blaster bolts.

The weapon is a simple railgun system, two magnetic metal plates generate enough magnetic force to propel a metallic slug with enough force to break the sound barrier many, many times, and gives incredible speed, at the cost of eventual bullet drop as gravity starts to act on the 10cm slug's weight.

The slug is immensely powerful, designed specifically for this rifle the Armor-Piercing round is capable of smacking holes into 15cm thick durasteel plating and was found to be incredibly effective against many types of armored targets and vehicles apart from only the most armored of equipment.

The recoil is pretty severe, as you could expect from something firing such a massive round, a series of springs located in the stock allow for some recoil-reduction, allowing the shooter to make the most of its' semi-automatic fire rate which is capped at potentially 100rounds a minute, keeping the weapon on target like this however, is tricky.

The weapon is hardly light too, despite all the weight-saving efforts, it still weighs in at a hefty 14kg, meaning keeping the weapon straight when standing is rather complex due to balance issues. And even then this sniper isn't a Designated Marksman Rifle, this should only really be used as a very long ranged weapon, and in close combat the weapon is at a serious disadvantage due to low portability.

In addition to this fire should be timed well as the magnetic plates can get extremely hot and become less effective when fired quickly (which should not be done in any case). The cooldown procedure is helped by the many vents located on the barrel but keeping a bottle of cool liquid to speed up the process is wise.

Classification: Railgun (Slugthrower then?)
Size: Handheld
Status: Legal, open to allied factions, Mandalorian military and other approved individuals.
Length: 1,24m
Weight: 14,5kg
Ammunition Type: 15.2x114mm caseless rounds.
Ammunition Capacity: 10 round Double-Stack magazine, Power-Pack to be replaced after 20 shots.
Effective Range: 2,3km

Several things:

1) What is the caliber of the rounds fired?

2) How many rounds per power pack? Rail guns (and gauss weapons) are notorious for requiring a significant energy output.

3) Blaster rounds travel far slower than the typical rail-accelerated weapon. Rail guns typically accelerate projectiles to speeds of over 2 km/s, which is far faster than blasters. Far faster. You'll have to make that clarification in the description.

4) Please add something into the description to address the rail-warping from the intense heat generated by the friction between the rails and the projectile. I assume this weapon uses a technical rail concept, and not a coil gun concept. How does the barrel wear limit the maximum number of rounds fired, or the rate of fire? Can barrels be interchanged? Etc.

Please tag me in your response. Thanks! :)

[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

I didn't really think of caliber cause there's no casing, but best I could give you is probably 50mm.

Per power pack I'd say 20.

Yes barrels can be interchanged as the field strip shows. And the rate of fire limitation is mostly to stop the plates from melting as opposed to the melting having an effect cause it'd obviously reduce accuracy.

The caliber refers to the width of the projectile, so there's no need for a casing. Caseless munitions would have calipers, for example.

A caliber of 50 mm for a projectile length of 100 mm wouldn't work. In essence, the slug would be an oval. There's some math and physics that explain how the cross section of a projectile is most efficient at a certain length and caliber ratio, and while I don't know the exact math off hand, I do know it's not 2:1.

That said, a RL example would be the .50 BMG, which is just under 13 mm in width. With a length of 100 mm, I believe a projectile width of comparable caliber is reasonable.

You know, this is getting wordy. Basically, add a line about the caliber of the round so that readers have a better sense of what's being fired. :)

2). Did you add the shots per power pack into the description? I'm on my phone right now and the formatting doesn't display right so I can't read the second half of the description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom