Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arabesque

As the defeated droid clattered down onto the deck Maris heard the softly spoken words of praise from the Sith from behind her, declining to face Libertas yet as she sneered down at the broken thing laying at her feet.

She felt the rage and exhilaration burning deep in her chest, the urge to take up the fallen robot's weapon and attempt bloody murder upon Libertas was both real and a risk. Despite her anger at the alien cyborg’s ‘test’ the Shrike could not deny the sense of pride at receiving the compliment. Her yearning for approval was a weakness the youth had yet to realise - perhaps a fact that would someday come to wound her.

Still, when the Sith’s hand dared to touch her the young woman flinched notably, shoulders trying to shrug off the contact as she growled and turned her head to glare at the Lethan.

If looks could kill Libertas would have been immediately immolated in that glare. Instead, Maris realised too late what was to come next, the first sensation causing the fine hairs on her skin to stand on end and the cold chill washed out the heat of her rage - before the raven-haired ganger screeched in sudden excruciating, agony that engulfed her damaged ribs. No sooner had she curled over into a pained stoop, clutching at the injury once again, then the burning pain turned its attention to her injured ears. She knew this lesson already, only in pain did she become stronger. Nevertheless, the woman found herself on her knees.

As quickly as it had arrived the pain seemed to subside, pouring away to nothing and leaving her feeling hollow, she had barely seen Thuella dispatch her foe, but she felt the thing pull itself apart at her will without looking. Amara had a lightsaber, Thuella shared Enyo’s talents, Libertas too.

So this was the company she kept.

She lowered her voice and kept her eyes down as she spoke: “The sooner we are done here the better.”

Amara Zarides

Clones just wanna have fun!
[member="Maris Fero"] [member="Enyo Typhos"]

Amara had been moving forward to assist, but Thuella’s insistent tone held her back. She paused, holding her weapon down, but still ready in case things got out of hand.
She glanced at Libertas as she ‘healed’ Maris, a frown. The Dark Side was not a gentle master, especially in cases like this.

She looked up at the sound of grinding metal to see the droid literally tearing itself apart. Eyes wide, she saw it crash to the ground at Thuella’s triumphant – if exhausted – feet.

Deactivating her lightsabre she rushed over to her sister. “That was amazing, Ella, good work!” she said, rubbing her back.

She was also rather hurt, so she set to work getting some medical supplies. Her own healing skills were…limited…but she wished she knew more to prevent Libertas from trying to get her hands on her sister. Still, she produced some kolto patches and painkillers for Thuella.

“I agree, Maris,” she said, nodding to the girl. The sooner this mission was completed and she was away from the Sith, the better. Still, she’d been impressed by Maris’ skills.

“Maris, go get some rest if you like, I can pack up here with Ella.”

Though she’d had a few bumps and zaps she needed only a few patches, and so was able to get working on getting the room back in order.

“You did well, Ella, getting better all the time. I’m glad you’re here,” she said with a smile.

[member="Maris Fero"], [member="Amara Zarides"]

The Lethan Twi'lek felt the anger inside the girl. The palpable desire to pick up a weapon, strike her down and humble her. But she also felt something like this. So this is your chain. You want to bite the hand of the person above you...but you also hunger for approval, Libertas surmised. Enyo, you're nursing a little viper.

"Yes," Libertas said laconically. Her eyes travelled over to Thuella, who was being patched up by Amara. This meant the Sith could not get her metaphorical talons into her, but also that she would not have to tax herself by healing her. It was not something that came easy to the Sith Lord. "You've displayed skill with the Force. Mechu-deru is a rare power." Her words sounded sincere.

"Uh, thanks, I guess. Enyo's been teaching me. I'm no master, but I can do some stuff," Thuella looked a bit overwhelmed.

"And you use the Force like a crutch." Way to be a mood killer, Libertas. "If the droid had been equipped with a ysalamiri or had Voidstone implanted into it, you would have lost. And if it had been a serious fight, you would be dead."

"If it had been a serious one, I would have used my gun to blow it to scrap instead of deliberately weakening myself," Thuella retorted, sounding fierce and more than a little stung by the Sith's cutting remarks. "I'm a tech person, not a frontline warrior. We can't all death charge and get our limbs cut off."

"Never really on any one or two weapons to win the day for you. Especially since you have invested little training in either. It makes you complacent. Same applies to relying on more combat capable companions to always protect you from harm," Libertas remarked. Here tone remained serene. She looked unfazed. Perhaps even pleased that the clone had not caved in. "You're not as mousey as I thought. That's good. You need a thicker skin though. Get some rest. Grab some food if you need it. It won't be long till we're on Hoth." Her last words were directed to all three. Having said her piece, she departed the hold.

Amara had run to Thuella full of concern, rubbing her back and cheering the tech-support on for how well she had done. All the while Maris had watched with on with side-eyed glances, a stab of resentment lodged in her guts as she observed the closeness they seemed to share. It was only heightened when Thuella mentioned that Enyo had tutored her in some rare ability with the force that Maris had never even heard of.

The raven-haired ganger grunted non-committally as Amara offered to let her go and rest, seeing it immediately as an obvious ploy to be rid of her company for a while so that she could spend her time with Thuella.

She stamped down on the downed droids damaged leg to hold it in place. Then, with a strength enhanced by her stoked anger, Maris wrenched her ceramic blade free from the joint with an unpleasant metallic screech. She eyed the cruel edge for a moment, lips curling into a momentary frown before lowering the weapon again. A deft flicker of movements and the weapon was hidden away again; Her sleight of hand was impressive.

Maris stooped to lift the droids weapons next, eying the vibroblade before shifting to lay the sword out on the table by the crate of equipment - helping out. 'Packing up in here' as Amara had put it. Next, she moved to gather up the shield whilst Libertas continued to offer criticism and her own brand of sage advice to Thuella.

The shield was deposited atop the blade, where it balanced poorly and so Maris chose to instead place it atop the crate.

By the time Libertas had made her exit, Maris had finished. She looked to Thuella and Amara with a half-hearted smile. Weariness was plainly writ across her features, she had already trained for an extended period that day and hunger was lingering behind her rage.

“I’ll let you two catch up, I’ll keep out of the way,” she stated with a poorly disguised sulk to her voice as she waved a hand in their direction. “Let me know when we get there.”

She turned to walk away toward the crew area with a sigh. Of course, somewhere in her little display, the equipment crate had become light of one cloaking device.

[member="Enyo Typhos"] [member="Amara Zarides"]

Amara Zarides

[member="Enyo Typhos"] [member="Maris Fero"]

“Sure you don’t want to show us poor fools how much better you are, Lady Libertas?” Amara asked sweetly. “I’d love to see how you would take on a Ysalimiri equipped kill-bot armed with live ammunition. It’d be an education for us.”

The Sith was gone though. Good riddance. Amara did not doubt the Sith was much stronger than her, and doubtless could win that battle…but that’s what the purpose of a teacher was. It would actually be educational to see…with the added bonus of maybe seeing the Sith break a sweat rather than lecturing.

Still, she turned back to Thuella and helped her sister pack things away.
“You did well, Ella, and don’t let the Sith put you down. Enyo has seen fit to ally with her, and she is probably useful, but never forget she’s got her own plans and agenda.”

Maris had been a bit sulky, and Amara sighed. She’d tried to do the girl a service. She resolved to see how the girl was before they landed.
Girl. The word kept coming to mind, even though technically Maris was five times older than her at least. She also had a lot more ‘street smarts’ than her, but less experience with the galaxy.

With the hold packed away she headed upstairs to the crew area, seeking Maris. If the ganger was there she might try and engage her in discussion to pass the time. That, and avoid the Sith.

[member="Amara Zarides"], [member="Maris Fero"]

"Of course she does. She is a Sith. They are out for themselves," Thuella said with a shrug. The Sith Lord's words were harsh and stung. However, they were not unwarranted. "I mean, she is right. I'm not much good at fighting. I'm not that strong or fast. But I think with my brain, not my fists. Let's see how she holds up when we land."

"Enyo thinks she's useful...and will kill her if she isn't. Besides, she's more than half-robot and I know how to switch her off," she made an attempt at boasting. In reality, she figured that mechu-deruing a Master level Force-User would be a lot more difficult than making a droid commit seppuku, but still.

She saw Maris stalk off. "What's wrong with her?" she wondered out aloud. "Never mind. Make sure she's got an idea of what Hoth's actually like. She's never left the big city. Wouldn't want her to freeze right after we land. The weather forecast is icier and stormier than usual."

Maris had found her way to the living areas of the ship with little issue.

Ordinarily, she would have been engaged in climbing her way around every nook, cranny and service access hatch of a new space, learning the layout and looking for secrets, but it had been a long day so far. She had hunted in the markets of Becaad only hours ago, and even though she had taken the life of a ganger, Maris found that she couldn’t even picture his face now. She had followed the hunt with a two-hour training session in the studio which had then become a journey to Hoth. Then, one sudden fight for someone else's amusement later, she had been battered by a robot and subjected to the agony of recovery via pain.

Hunger, frustration, weariness and pain had robbed her of much of her natural inquisitiveness, but she had still taken the cloaking device.

The youth was slouched on a bed, her bare shoulders resting up against the nearby wall, knees bent to allow her to rest the cloaking device in her lap and look over the controls. She had undressed somewhat, discarding the leggings, hoodie, socks and shoes; The grey vest and boy-shorts covered anything truly risque yet did nothing to disguise the dark welts of bruises that had formed on the youth’s slim legs, forearms and midriff.

As Amara entered, Maris looked up at the blonde with weary eyes, dropping the cloaking device down by the side of her bed without comment, making no attempt to hide it from Enyo’s sister. She rested her hands on her knees and then tilted her head to the side a fraction in a manner eerily similar to the Boss,

“Sup?”
[member="Amara Zarides"] [member="Enyo Typhos"]​

Amara Zarides

“Icier and stormier than usual? I’m shivering even thinking of that,” Amara said. “I’ll go see her. I’d keep that skill of yours downplayed too. We don’t want the Sith getting paranoid and thinking you’re a threat.”

As she found Maris she noticed the slipping of the cloaking device aside. The girl was barely making any effort to hide it. Amara didn’t mention it. If there was a Blood Trail on it Maris couldn’t exactly run off with it…and besides where on Hoth would she run to?

Instead she sat beside Maris, feeling like she was somehow the parent or older sibling in this deal…which was crazy and most likely untrue on several levels!

“Well, just wanted to make sure you were doing alright. Hoth’s going to be a serious shock to your system, so I figured we could go over some information you might need, even get you some insulated gear ready.”

She glanced at the woman’s bruised body. “But…it can wait. You look pretty tired. Dancing, droids and dark healing can take it out of you. I can come back if you want a nap.”

Amara had gone to give Maris a pep talk. She was probably a better choice than Thuella. The young clone was more at home around machines than people. They had all these feelings! On a certain level, she could understand Maris' angst. The girl had a huge chip on her shoulder and had been thrust into a whole new world. Thuella could not help regard her as sulky though. The ganger wanted to be someone special, but was going about it the wrong way. Acting indignant would not raise her status in Enyo's group.

Regardless, fortunately by now the numbness had worn off, so Thuella was able to walk again. There had been no dark healing for her, so she made do with some painkillers. She soon made her way back to her bunk. There was still stuff to prepare and time was getting short. She was tinkering a bit with her seeker droid when she heard noise coming from outside.

"Amara?" she asked aloud. "Oh, it's you," she tried to hide her annoyance when Libertas emerged. Thuella was not fond of the Sith Lady, but she was too disciplined to make a scene and Enyo's instructions had been clear.

"I would have thought the clanking sounds on the floor would have given it away." Thuella decided she did not like Sith who thought they were funny. "You think me unduly harsh, no doubt. I don't make pupils fight for my own amusement though. I have better things to do with my time. Nothing meaningful is ever accomplished through coddling."

"Yeah." Enyo said the same, but that was different. "I'm not one of your apprentices though."

"No, you're not. But clearly someone Enyo values - and has high expectations of. I doubt she would hand out tips about using one of the few powers that could possibly hurt her to just about anyone."

"And hurt you, for that matter." The words left Thuella's lips before she could swallow them on her tongue.

The Sith Lady's expression conveyed amusement. "Maybe. But from the looks of it, it seems you have a lot of work ahead of you."

"If there's more work to be done, then I'll do just that. No one becomes a Master in a day." There was a challenging note in Thuella's tone. "Besides, for all your power you serve my sister."

"Indeed. I work with her because she is capable and our interests are in sync for now. But neither you nor Amara are her. And I do not treat anyone with kid's gloves, no matter who they are related to."

Realisation dawned on Thuella's face. "You're just goading. You love your tests, don't you?"

"Dun Möch does little against those who in control of themselves, but serves its purpose. We all have our chinks in our armour. Things an opponent will home in on and mercilessly exploit."

"Is the Sith Lady actually admitting she is not all-powerful?"

Libertas shrugged. "Many of my colleagues would deny having any weakness, thereby admitting their insecurity. But the first step to conquering weakness is to admit it." The Twi'lek looked around the room. Her gaze fell upon an open book on Thuella's desk and she picked it up. "A guide on Dahomey. Tempest's homeworld. I never had the pleasure of visiting, I'm afraid. A harsh planet that produces fierce warriors."

"And for all their bravery, they got conquered by slavers, then annexed by OP and now their primary business is providing muscle for Firemane. Tempest is a warrior, I am not. I think with my mind and build the machines the sluggers use. Muscle does not rule the Galaxy. It's just a tool used by others to exact their will on it. I'm interested in where I...she came from. But I'm not her."

"You clones - all so passionate about being compared to your template. I find the dynamic interesting - intellectually. You seem to be either fixated on becoming your template by imitating them or on drawing the sharpest line of demacartion possible."

"What's it to you?" Thuella knew the Sith had a point, but she did not like admitting it.

"Your DNA doesn't define you. Your choices do. Casting your template as an obstacle you must overcome, a shadow you must escape, just traps you. In a galaxy this vast, there are billions who have never even heard or care about your template. There will always be those who look into your eyes and see her. They will judge you on your template's terms. Most of my people waste their lives away as pleasure slaves. Outsiders thought I would be prey. Their folly was to my benefit. Never forget what you are. Make it your strength and their barbs will bounce off you."

It was an awkward moment for the raven-haired ganger when the blonde sat down by her side. On Vorzyd, she had never really had a bedroom or bed to call her own for most of her life; It had only been since Enyo, since the MezNez that Maris had even considered a space hers. In the gang’s communal hideouts you staked a space, and then you fought to protect your stuff.

She resisted the urge to react aggressively, doing a reasonably good job of disguising her disquiet, though her toes bunched momentarily; maybe it was just the bruising?

An incredulous smile painted the Shrike’s face when Amara expressed concern for Maris, but it passed almost as quickly as it had arrived as she read the truth in Amara’s words.

Oh. She’s actually nice, isn’t she? The young woman surmised, suddenly feeling a sense of pity for Amara. Vorzyd chewed up the nice first before moving on to devour the ambivalent. Nice would maybe kill Amara one day.

Maris arched, a flicker of discomfort pursing her lips as she felt the bruising pain renew. She gave Amara a lengthy stare as she spoke about Hoth, inhaling through her nose as she made the decision to be civil.

“I brought my warmest clothes, it gets pretty cold in the high levels back home,” she stated, not adding, I’m not an idiot. Of course, even on the upper spires of Gallo’s Spear - the tallest structure in Efavan - temperatures almost never dropped below freezing.

The ganger noted Amara looking over her, causing Maris to wonder about the blondes motivations; Although she dismissed the thought a moment later.

“Can it wait though?? If I try to sleep now will Darthy Roboscowl release a swarm of blade droids into the room?” she blurted, quick temper flaring at the thought, dark shadows beneath her eyes. “I doubt I’m going to be able to close my eyes whilst shes around.”

Amara Zarides

Amara nodded. “Sure it can wait. I don’t think the Sith will murder us in our beds…not until after Hoth anyway!”

She rose and headed to the door. “You’ll do fine, Maris,” she said with a little smile, then left the room.

The ganger was clearly not much of a communal sort, or especially talkative. That was fine, so long as she kept her eyes on the mission.

As she approached the bunk room she heard Thuella discussing something with the Sith. Not wanting any of that, she headed to the recreation room which was now empty. She took up a pillow and lay down on the couch to sleep. She wasn’t especially tired, but she knew she might well be soon so the more the better.

Soon enough though she’d be woken by an incessant beeping and would head to the bridge. They were coming up on reversion….

[member="Maris Fero"], [member="Amara Zarides"]

It was time for the crew of misfits to reach their destination. Or at least the planet their destination was on at any rate. In the navigator's seat, Thuella looked at the plotter. "We will arrive in the Hoth system in five minutes." Doubtless everyone was looking forward to seeing the inhospitable ice ball. The weather forecast was icy and stormy.

Libertas had occupied the pilot's seat and taken the controls. The Sith Lady set the EMCON controls for the starship and shut down any emissions that might set off the sensors of Hoth's present rulers. The mission profile specified secrecy and she did not intend to get on the First Order's radar. Even if the reports from her sources had left her thoroughly unimpressed with their Ren.

The ship jerked as it entered real space. An ice ball loomed before them. By all accounts, Hoth was an inhospitable wasteland. This made it ideal for pirates, smugglers and others who thrived in secrecy. Yet it was also one of those wastelands that propelled into the galactic limelight here and there. The Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire had fought a battle here. Centuries after that engagement, the Galactic Alliance had tried to drive the First Order from the planet.

Thuella's hands moved over the navigation controls. "I've set course for the planet. You have an entry solution." Nodding, Libertas steered the Quasar to follow the waypoints for an atmospheric entry.

Despite what she had said to Amara, Maris had managed to get a spell of unbroken sleep. The ganger appeared to be able to sleep more or less anywhere once she was confident on being left undisturbed. After she had awakened the young woman stripped out of her vest and inspected the dark bruising that still marred her porcelain white skin, the dark healing practised by Enyo and Libertas might be able to save lives, but the results were neither pretty nor painless.

She had cleaned herself up as best as she could with the facilities at hand; The vessel seemed remarkably well equipped, as did everything the Iron Fist Consortium utilised.

Once she felt a little less like death warmed up Maris had collected her stealth gear from the storage crates; the material clung tightly to her frame, silhouetting her form. It no longer came as a surprise to Maris that the fit was perfect, Enyo was not one for missed details. She regarded her reflection through the masks googles, feeling a widening grin spread upon her lips - although the featureless shade in the mirror showed an emotionless blank.

It felt right, she realised with a soft sigh as she stretched and arched, testing her flexibility. There was still some time left, and with the mask removed once again the Shrike reclined once again, leafing through the specs that had been packed alongside her kit.

By the time Maris reached the cockpit Thuella had announced a five minute ETA. She had dressed somewhat more appropriately for Hoth by that point; Amara had come back to find the youth reading wearing nothing but the skintight stealth suit. The blonde had quite patiently explained just how horrendously cold and desolate the ice world was likely to be, helping the ganger pick out appropriate survival gear to layer over the suit.

So it was that an uncomfortably warm Maris sat in a spare seat and listened to the Dahomian and the Sith, eyes on the ever-growing blue-white orb of Hoth that seemed to be expanding to fill the cockpit window.

“It’s pretty cloudy down there, isn’t it?” she remarked in hushed tones, the light of Hoth reflected on her grey eyes.

No-one had really mentioned or explained snow to her before.

Amara Zarides

“Not just cloudy,” Amara said, looking over her screens. “I’m reading a serious storm covering the plains leading to our destination. On the one hand it’ll give us cover, on the other it’ll give us a lot of chop.”
A brief second glance at Maris. “You’ll want to buckle up tight, this won’t be a fun landing.”

As the ship started to descend into the atmosphere of Hoth, the planet rose to envelop them. Soon they were running wholly on scanners as their visuals were whited-out by the blizzard. It was bumpy, snow and wind buffeted them, and lightning flickered around them.

However, despite having never worked before, the command crew seemed up to the task by prioritising. Libertas was a good pilot, even Amara grudgingly admitted that. Amara meanwhile read out the controls and operated the stabilisers. Finally Thuella handled the navigation.

“We’re at six hundred. Ella, do you see a safe place to land nearby?” Amara asked, fighting to stay calm.

It was getting really bumpy as they came in. Downdraft and updraft was threatening to slam them into the ground like a toy.

It was a most bumpy road as they descended. Downdraft updraft menaced the Quasar, threatening to slam it into the ground and crack it open like an energy. "In the caves. At coordinates 14.07," Thuella said a bit out of breath, trying to look calm. It was not working.

"At least your template has not popped up. Elsewise we'd have a thunderstorm as well," Libertas stated. Judging from Thuella's look, she did not appreciate the joke. The ship jerked, shuddering violently. Hopefully, everyone aboard had strong stomachs. Anyone who made a mess would have to clean it up.

"Enter emergency power mode. Reroute power to the shields." Mother Nature was most displeased. She was a wrathful goddess. Often underestimated by the myriad sentient beings that populated the million worlds of the Galaxy. But when her anger was aroused, all felt it. And realised that their technological terrors and sorcerous powers would not avail them. A strong wind buffeted them, and lightning slashed from the sky.

Winds sought to seize it and pull it hither and zither. Red warning lights flared angrily. With all the interference, it was difficult to make out anything. Likewise, the instruments were staunch in their refusal to cooperate. The Sith Lady grit her teeth. Nonetheless, she steered the ship. It trembled violently when it was kissed by a bolt of lightning. The shields had absorbed the blast, but they would not last for long. Red lights beeped in alarm. The Sith Lady paid them no heed.

She grabbed the yoke and pushed forward. Time seemed to slow for Libertas. Visuals were whitened out by the blizzard. So she relied on the Force to guide her. The turbulences intensified as the vessel shot through the air, seeking to defy the forces that lusted for its annihilation. A sudden jolt through a myriad items in the air. Thuella could feel her stomach lurch into her throat, and her vision greyed for but a moment. "We're going in hard. Prepare for a rough landing," the Sith Lady spoke.

As the descent continued Maris began to suffer the effects of the turbulent landing more keenly, each pitch, rise and sudden drop in altitude sent her body lurching. It felt as if the content of her stomach rebelled against her; The rumbling, thumping sounds of the storm buffeting their vessel off course rose to challenge the volume of conversation, as snowfall like sheets of white water and thundering cracks of forked lightning strobed the view from their cockpit. How anyone would navigate the fury of the storm was beyond Maris.

So she simply watched wide-eyed as the ‘controlled impact’ was orchestrated before her. It occurred to Maris after the fact that she had cried out aloud at one particularly testing impact; Oddly detached from the sensations of her own body she was dully aware of the aching bruises as the safety straps dug into injuries half healed. Her heart was working overtime and the ganger felt the chill of fear across her skin. Her eyes fluttered closed with each new shift in momentum, each new jolt.

“Just get us out of the air!” she demanded, mouth dry, voice a lot less composed than she liked to let on.

And then, as if the universe and fate both liked to punish simple mortals for their wishes, there was another overwhelming lurch of turbulence, before Maris’ whole world seemed to turn upside down.

[member="Enyo Typhos"] [member="Amara Zarides"]​

Amara Zarides

The ship came to a final juddering drop. The grey mist was filling the corners of Amara’s eyes as unconsciousness loomed, but she fought on and then braced as they came in.
With a massive jolt they landed, or rather slid. Amara had helped stabilise the ship so as they landed they slid over the ice, coming to rest at the bottom of a rocky cliff with a slight crunching sound.

“Another happy landing. Hmm, no significant damage, just some scratches and bumps. Also one of the landing gears is not reporting, might have been lost.” She looked at Libertas and Thuella. “Good work, team. A hard landing, but could have been worse.”

She unbuckled her harness and almost stumbled when she stood, still disorientated by the motion.
“Urgh. I might just…wait a moment…before I get up.”

After a couple of minutes she clawed her way up and headed to the rear of the ship. They needed to get the camo netting for the ship installed and then get moving. This would certainly not be an easy stroll in a winter wonderland.

Two thousand metres....

One thousand metres...

Five hundred metres...

The engines screamed in protest and the Quasar's computer warned. "Pull up!" Thuella's head felt like it weighed a hundred kilograms and her neck fought to remain upright. A wave of nausea washed over her as her vision darkened. She had to fight to remain conscious.

Libertas shot a burst of engines through the ventral thrusters as she rammed the yoke into her belly. Her hand thrust the throttle forward as the nose came up. The engines roared, stopping the descent. They slid over the ice for a while until they came to a halt at the bottom of the cliff.

Thuella breathed in. She was covered in cold, slimy sweat from her earlier terror. "I feel like I'm about to vomit," she said quietly. Then looked embarrassed when she realised she'd said that aloud.

"Then acquire a stronger stomach," Libertas stated flatly. "This went better than my first journey here," she muttered to herself. "No time to dawdle. Get the camo netting up, grab your gear and saddle up on the speeders." Embarrassed by her show of weakness, Thuella unbuckled her harness and wobbled to her feet. She went to check up on Maris. Her head was still spinning.

The difficult landing had been intense for everyone. As comfortable as Maris had been around heights, high speeds and risks the sheer lack of control she held over her fate had sat exceptionally poorly with the ganger. As the ship had slid along the frozen landing site she had felt the grey mists descend over her senses, the extreme forces involved in the motion had suddenly ceased with a lurch of motion as the sudden stop threw her body forward against her harness.

For a moment everything became silent, before the sounds of breathing returned and Maris heard her fellow passengers speak. Everything seemed to have remained in one piece, more or less. Maris slumped back into the seat as she watched Thuella, Libertas and Amara start to unstrap and stand. The ganger took a moment to breathe first before she reached to unbuckle her own harness, only then noting the slight shaking in her digits, balling her fingers into fists to steady them.

She half rose before feeling the unsteadiness in her limbs, aborting the move and simply breathing whilst she regrouped. Thuella felt like vomiting. Maris couldn’t help but agree.

As nausea started to fade, a change overcame her once again, their survival and the adrenaline gifted by the experience stirred a laugh from the Shrike, a flutter in her chest as the smile broke widely across pale lips.

“Next time we do this ladies, I need a better seat.” she grinned as she spoke, merriment in her voice that had been absent for the trip so far and with difficulty she rose to her feet to meet Thuella.

“I thought, you’d have an iron stomach anyway, or something, like the boss.”

Maris moved to help Amara, she had no idea what to do with the camo but assumed that the blonde would offer advice if she wasn’t doing it right, gathering up her gear was easier, and then there were speeders. Maris knew speeders alright.

[member="Enyo Typhos"] [member="Amara Zarides"]​

Amara Zarides

Amara let out a chuckle at Maris’ last comment. Iron stomach was not just a metaphor when it came to Enyo.

“If we get out of this alive…remind me never to come back here,” she said. Pulling on layers of clothing so she looked like a bundled mummy she popped the hatch.

Cold.

The blast of cold air which met her was worsened by the knife-like quality of the wind. Despite six layers Amara felt like she was wearing a swimsuit for all the good it was doing.

Grunting, she pushed out the speeder-bikes and started affixing the camo netting. She’d need help as the wind was blowing around the sections she was trying to tie down.

The speeders themselves were two-person affairs, almost like a bike and sidecar, the passenger had a gun they could fire. Fortunately there was a canopy too which protected them somewhat from the cold.

“Hoth enough for you?” Amara joked lamely, but her heart wasn’t in it. This really didn’t seem like it’d be a pleasant experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom