Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any advice for species creation?

Okay I have good news and I have bad news. As it usually goes in movies and T.V. shows I shall place the bad news first, I am sick. But don't worry it's only a standard chest cold, nothing to worry about, and recently I discovered that I have Raynaud's Syndrome and a slower than usual heartbeat, which isn't really helping the cold. But I am not here to press all my many different medical on you guys, and now for the good news. I am sick, that means I have nothing better to do but wrap myself up in a warm blanket with a nice mug of hot chocolate and work on a species on the computer all day, only one problem I have never ever made a species before and frankly, I have absolutely no idea were the hell to start, so any advice people could give me on species creation would be much appreciated :)

Evasion Studios
I have made exactly one 'species' on the board. It was a sub-species of something already created. A mutated Gizka to be precise. A few things I have learned from that might help you out. First, do your research. Make sure that you have carefully studied various sites to see if the species you have in mind might be already created in some form or fashion. See if there is something like it, and draw ideas from that. Second, look over the species already submitted and approved in the forum, and then look at those that are denied (if you can find them). See the reasons for denial, and see what a good strong and solid submission looks like. A species (like us humans) is very very very complex. We have a long history, we have a complex biological system, an eco system, and many variations. There are gender roles, and behavioral adaptations. When you're creating a species, understand what you're creating, and if it's as vast and diverse as humans - be prepared to write in ABUNDANCE and with great detail. Hope this helps!

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Meep"]
*Appears in the flutter of his chameleon cloak*
Well since Illias the other Species Judge is currently handling sub made by me and another one which popped up when I was travelling between U.S. and Poland, I will be the one who would judge your submission.

So here's what raises alarms for me and what I'm looking for.

When you choose a planet for your species, as [member="Evad"] said, do your research, if there's something specified about the planet already in canon, by which I mean Wookieepedia, do not go against it, if it's a planet made by another writer, make sure you have a permission from them. Example of this would be a species I denied because it was sentient tribal community on Dagobah, when article on Dagobah states that there is no sentient species living there.

Second thing that would draw my attention is vagueness, be specific as much as you can and it will skip some questions that I have, when I look at a submission or character sheet, I look at it in terms of game mechanics, so when describing it, compare it for me in terms of game mechanics. If their hide is thick, list a specific armor rating to get a better idea, there is a difference between rating of 6 and 8, one if medium armor, one is heavy, so that will help me understand just how thick their defenses are.
Same with offensive weapons, tell me on which armor ratings they would be effective, for example I submitted a griffon species with claws effective against ratings between 1 and 6 or something along those lines.

Don't be afraid to go in details about the species drawbacks and weaknesses, even in detail describing how they can be killed by an adventurer in the wilds or a soldier during combat, it's very likely they'll find themselves in such a scenario so be prepared to talk about what are their advantages and disadvantages.

Also, fluff and precedents are your friends, as Evad said have a look at other species subs, maybe you have an idea for a cool power for your species to have but you are not sure whether I would have an issue with it, have a look at what other people submitted, chances are something similar was used either in custom submissions or in canon, if that was accepted I don't see why I would deny it for your species, unless it's something too overpowering.
And fluff is just the fun little details about your species, what they do when nobody's watching, what was their history and interactions with other species on the planet, how they fit into the ecosystem of their planet and the Galaxy. Putting that in shows me that you have put thought and work into your submission instead of just half-butting it.

Also, don't be afraid to contact me or the other Species Judge, Illias, if you have any questions, give us a pm and we'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

So yeah,
Research, Specifications, Details, Precedents, Thought, and Contact
Those are the keys to a good Species Sub, or as I call it
ReSpecD PreThoCon

No idea what PreThoCon is, just got lazy at that point :p

Thank you both, currently down here in New Zealand it is 2:30 AM so I will have plenty of time to research (if I don't fall asleep in the process) and hopefully I can have the submission up and finished by the time I go to bed tonight.

HK-36

[member="Meep"]
Take your time, I'll try to respond to it as soon as I can, so by the time you'll wake up it will hopefully be approved :p Or at least have a reply with any concerns I'll have.

one other piece of advice would be no angels

and if you want them to do something fairly big like have immunities or strong force connection give them some good weaknesses. The Unseelie are mini darkside nexuses but they shamble, can be broken by a stiff breeze and are no longer able to think.

and always sacrifice virgins to the factory queen Anna

Ive made...

4-5? Approved Species. Advice? Balance. If they are powerful in one example, downgrade in another. Give in depth explanations anywhere you can. No power is to far out there for a species: Andolith's as a species are Telepathic, Tera Vampir still maintain Force Drain, etc.

As said, balance balance balance.

Also, -_- dont make sexist species or you will be stampeded and crucified...ok no but youll get a few stern 'I dont like that but..' posts

HK-36

Well there are some powers that I wouldn't allow to pass me,
Phasing, lightsaber immunity, immortality, and regenerative properties high enough to come back from death are the biggest that come to my mind.

Now, I've subbed species with both phasing and lightsaber resistance :p My Nocur excrete oils in their feathers that give them resistance to lighsabers, however these oils loose properties when taken off of their bodies, not allowing me or anyone else abuse them for lightsaber-resistant items, and they burn upon contact, creating only temporary and painful barrier against lightsabers, being effective only against glancing blows.
My Withered Smoke are still going through the judging process, they utilize phasing techniques, but it's the only way they are able to move around, they can move their arms, but other than that, they are stationary beings.

So yeah, like Zander said, if you want to give a Species something really powerful, it has to be reasonably weakened for balancing.

HK-36

[member="Nemene Talith"]

I'll let you do that if they're a potatoe :|

Can't move, can't communicate, just watch.
Just.
Watch.

[member="Kasamann"]
Not really right now :p I'll still be developing stuff with Nocur and doing plots with them, the Smoke was made for plot for Omega Protectorate

Lira Dajenn

L
Nope you promised. Potaties are coming. They are the watchers. They are the witnesses. They are the Sentries of the galaxy!
[member="HK-36"]

Fabula Cavataio said:
Is it just me, or is this more nightmarish than an invincible warrior? I mean, immortal voyeurs? *shudder*
Agreed.
98A.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom