Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Antihemorrhaging hemostasis inducing blood augmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff Iridius

M
Intent:. To create an augmentation of the blood in order to stop bleeding and clot wounds quicker when injured.
Dev thread:http://starwarsrp.net/topic/18899-antihemorrhagic-%C2%A0hemostasis-inducing-blood-augmentation-trials/
Manufacturer: Dr. Marie Krasnican and Darc Xavior Talus
Production: Minor
Affiliation: Galactic Empire
Modularity: None
Material: Synthesized Anti Hemorrhagic Astringents bonded to red blood cells.

Description: The idea of it was simple, take the formula of quick clot found in individual first aid kits and bond it to red blood cells in the body. The procedure is relatively quick and only requires one to two shots of the material to successfully bond the compound to the patents blood cells. It works rather simply, when struck the blood cells that run past the wound and exit body through bleeding congeal by the formula being exposed to the air and begin to help the wound coagulate, close and begin the act of hemostasis. In no way shape or form is this a healing factor but it allows the subject to stop from bleeding their guts out. The damage from the hit will still leave any organs damaged but the surface of the wound will coagulate and stop the user from hemorrhaging. Long term use side effects seen in animal test subjects have been minimal but include abdominal pain, shortage of breath, and are found to be more easily fatigued when performing physical activities. Humans have however have not displayed these symptoms yet, due to their recent trials but a few signs of blood being harder to oxidize has been seen in a few patients. And on a few occasions in animal trials the serum has caused heart attacks in smaller mammals due to the blood clotting in the trials earlier days.

However there are extents to the augmentation, slugs leaving exit wounds will not stop from bleeding due to their massive sizes. Severed limbs have difficulty from stoping bleeding but the augmentation will help slow the process of bleeding to death. Another draw back is that it only lasts around a month before another shot is needed to keep the augmentation going, the process however can only be done twice in a month or the operator will die from an overdose of the serum. As well as making surgery next to impossible without the reversal serum. In summary the anti hemorrhaging blood augmentation process is designed to help slow and stop the effects of bleeding.

First and foremost, I love what you're doing. The scientific RP stuff is quite refreshing from all the "how do I make my character more bad ass" submissions I see here.

That said, questions! And forgive me if it's been addressed in the dev thread. I took a quick look and didn't see it addressed, but I certainly could have missed it:

1) Any effects on the rate of blood clots forming without trauma? Embolisms, etc.

2) LD50?

3) Any investigation into the long term effects of long term use of this drug?

On a side note, and I don't know if you want to take this into account, but (human) clotting really doesn't have much to do with the hemoglobin. Platelets and clotting factors (and damage to flesh) are the things that trigger the coagulation response. Proteins and enzymes and all that stuff. Given the way that this is described, it would seem to me that the RBC's would have to be damaged to trigger the effect, which actually doesn't happen a whole lot. So, in reality, I don't think this would be a very effective method of increasing the clotting rate of an injury.

Please tag me in your reply. Thanks! :)

Moff Iridius

M
@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"] and updated I hope it is to your liking, also thank you I really appreciate the changes and advice.

I do like the revision that makes the coagulation dependent on exposure to air, though that brings to mind what exactly in the air causes the coagulation. If it is oxygen, then would oxygen diffusing through the alveoli trigger the effect because the augmentation is bonded to the RBCs? I feel that there is so much potential to actually RP a double blind trial and scientific discovery.

That said, in terms of the actual submission, I think it looks fine. I am willing to approve this as it is now; no need to answer the question above. This is, after all, an RP site, not an actual scientific journal review. :)

Let me know if pursuing the question regarding the coagulation is something you want to do, or if you'd like approval right now. I'm fine with it either way. :)

(Please tag me in your reply!)

Moff Iridius

M
@[member="Asemir Lor'kora"] it's something I'd like approved now, but I would love to expand on this later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom