Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Another Hundred People | Dyrn Grav

skin, bone, and arrogance

dyrn_new_spacer1.png

THE FORTAN RESIDENCE
Penthouse - Regency Towers - Senate District

Natasi folded the magazine and jammed it into her handbag with such ferocity that she was surprised she didn't snap the handles off. The violence was not as satisfying as she had hoped, but there wasn't much else to do. She as still a lady, after all, and had her dignity to protect. Perhaps she would scream into a pillow later, when she was sure she was alone. She could almost hear her mother whispering in her ear. Pas devant les domestiques. She was pleased that she hadn't drop-kicked her handbag off the penthouse's speeder landing pad after the speeder that had dropped her off had taken off when her comlink buzzed within, and she withdrew it to answer.

"Senator." It was Kenat. Of course. His anxiety was palpable over the comlink. "Are you all right?"

"I think all right is a bit of a push," Natasi responded dryly as she slung her bag over her shoulder and began walking towards the entrance to the penthouse. "Listen, whatever I have today, I need you to reschedule it. And put a call into the Prime Minister to reassure her. Since it's in the press, it's only a matter of time before she finds out, if she doesn't already. Speaking of -- "

Kenat broke in. "Senator, I'm sorry, they called to ask for a comment and we weren't able to reach you."

"Kenat," Natasi said slowly as she bio-scanned her way into the broad door into the main living area of the penthouse, then headed for the master bedroom. "You did the right thing. No comment -- for now, at least. I need to get an idea for whether they're done with me. The way that agent spoke to me, you'd think I had insulted his mother, but... nevertheless. No comment. To anyone. Will you please cancel everything and speak to the Prime Minister? I'm going to disconnect for the rest of the day. I haven't slept."

A brief pause, then Kenat cleared his throat. "Of course, ma'am. Of course. If there's anything you need -- "

"Thank you, Kenat." A brief pause. "Goodbye." Natasi disconnected the call as she entered the master bedroom. It offered commanding views of Coruscant's Senate District, but Natasi marched across the room and pulled the curtains shut. She was sick to the back teeth of Coruscant today. Natasi sat on the edge of her bed and kicked her shoes off, then shrugged out of her coat and began unbuttoning her blouse. She rang for Banks from her dressing room, adjacent to the bathroom, and set about to run a bath. She finished undressing and wrapped herself in a dressing gown, and was all but prepared to disrobe and slip into the hot water once the tub filled, but Banks didn't come.

Odd.

Natasi went back into the bedroom, gathering her discarded garments one by one until she heard raised voices from the other room. She deposited the laundry in its receptacle and walked towards the door, but stopped near the bed when she heard Banks' tremulous voice calling: "If you'd just wait a moment, I'll go and tell her. There's no need -- sir!"

Natasi had only the barest moment to snatch her dressing gown closed around her for modesty before the doors opened, and she saw Banks a few paces behind Dyrn Grav, onetime Captain of her royal guard and latterly Duke of Suffolk, who had been away from Coruscant for some time now. He was a sight for sore eyes after Natasi's very long, very frustrating night, and she could almost smile to see him, but then she sensed he was perhaps not in quite the best mood.

Then it fell upon her. If the media knew she had been detained by the Strategic Intelligence Agency, then it was damned sure that Dyrn Grav knew, too.

"It's all right, Banks. Leave us," she said to her ladies maid, who merely nodded and closed the doors. Natasi's attention fixed to Dyrn, and her dark eyes narrowed a little. "Is that really you? I thought you might be a pirate coming to ransom me. I thought it best to warn you: no one will pay."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

THE FORTAN RESIDENCE
Penthouse, Regency Towers; Senate District

There was very little that could stop a determined ex-Guardsman Captain. The guards outside the Penthouse didn't, as command codes were countermanded, granting access to the tall sentient that otherwise would have barred others. Even the attempted intervention of Banks, the loyal HRD that served as Natasi's ladies maid, was at risk of being tossed across the room. And judging by the reluctance of the ladies maid to physically engage with Dyrn, perhaps the logic centers in the HRD's brain recognized that in the man's pace and curt responses.

"Where is she?"

"My Lady is in her private chambers, she--"

"Move aside, Banks."

"Sir, I am to respect Lady Natasi's request--"

"I asked you nicely, Banks. I will not a second time."

By that time, both had reached the personal chamber doors, with Banks between the towering intruder and Natasi.

"If you'd just wait a moment, I'll go and tell her. There's no need -- sir!"

Dyrn sidestepped and avoided the reaching hand from the ladies maid, as he pulled the doors open and burst into the area beyond. In the moment of relief at seeing Natasi, the slow ebb of adrenaline, and the weight of all that he carried - mentally and physically - Dyrn was able to calm somewhat. He was certainly dressed for war, by all counts, as Dyrn stood in the doorway wearing heavy armor and helmet, as well as numerous weapons strapped to his person.

To better present himself, Dyrn reached up to remove the helmet, so they might see face to face.

"Truly, Natasi?" Dyrn's voice was one of mild surprise that held a tint of irritation, as he tucked the helmet under an arm. "I travel to Coruscant, after not seeing you for weeks and your bracelet signal disappearing, before learning the Alliance's spies have detained and likely been interrogating you... and witticism is your first recourse?

The tall Duke remained fixed in place for a moment, eyes searching hers for an answer, but soon he held out his gloved hands and breathed. Natasi's humor had always been a characteristic Dyrn had found attractive, so he couldn't be too shocked when she used it. Slowly, Dyrn began to unholster and unarm, with the weapons placed against the wall nearest the bedroom doors. Clearly they wouldn't be needed.

"I had been prepared to assault the SIA headquarters, if they had not released you," Dyrn said with an exhale, as he placed the combat helmet on a nearby top space. "You... you had me worried, dreadfully, my love. I -- are you well, are you hurt?"

Dyrn's expression changed, his demeanor was once again what it tended to be around Natasi, as he walked over and reached out to hold her. He took that time to physically check for injury or wound, specifically Natasi's wrists and temples, though did so in as subtle a manner as possible. Dyrn smiled a little, as he added:

"And so you know, were a pirate to ransom you, I would pay anything and more."

Last edited:
skin, bone, and arrogance

dyrn_new_spacer1.png

The Senator didn't know what to expect, but the soft chastisement in Dyrn's reaction was not it. She was prepared to be offended by it, but she found that she was not. Of course Dyrn Grav had a perfect right to that. "My bracelet," she murmured, her hand instinctively going to the other wrist. "I had no idea -- but of course they would have had some kind of signal jammer. I wasn't thinking clearly, obviously," Natasi concluded, her dark eyes half-lidding in annoyance at her own foolishness.

She watched him disarm. There was something reassuring about the methodical nature of it all. When he had set his weapons and helmet aside, and moved to take her in his arms, Natasi suppressed an internal flinch.

Physical affection had been somewhat lacking from Natasi since their foray into the Netherworld. She felt sometimes that she had left a part of her behind there, the part that was capable of opening up to people, the part that wanted to be touched or kissed or held. The thaw had been in progress for some time now, but the Senator was still unsure of where they stood, exactly. Of course she was aware of what he was doing, no matter how subtle he tried to be. She allowed him to conduct his survey, standing patiently, until finally she said: "I'm fine, Dyrn. Really."

She turned up her face and stood on her toes to press a kiss to his bearded jaw before drawing back.

"It's a good thing you're my emergency contact, then," she replied. Natasi half-turned, adjusting her bracelet self-consciously. "They -- um -- they didn't hurt me. Other than my pride, that is. And their interrogation was... rather civilized, when you think about it. Oh, damn and blast." Natasi pulled away fully, darting into the bathroom to turn off the taps before they could overflow the tub. She returned to the bedroom, offering Dyrn a strained smile. "Do you want to change? You won't be needing to storm the SIA headquarters, so you might as well be comfortable. And while you do -- tell me about what you've been up to."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom