Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Animal Style

Finley Dawson

F
The interaction with the officers turned out to be pleasant, with them used to Jedi assistance. Callat knowing the beat cops also helped immensely. The experience made him feel a lot more comfortable on Coruscant. In other places in the galaxy, Jedi and Force Sensitives in general were treated with suspicion and open contempt. That's one of the reasons the spacer rarely revealed himself as a Jedi., opting to blend into the crowds as a typical Corellian Spacer.

Hours into the initial investigation, and there were already a few revelations. A bioscan of the chef performed on the scene revealed a infestation of some alien fungus, confirming what Callat had detected. Said fungus had attached itself to his nervous system to seize control. More troubling was that virtually all the staff present at the time of the restaurant shut down by the local Health Department suffered a similar infestation, though not at the levels present in the Gamorrean. They were now in quarantine while the CDF tried to track down all known patrons across Coco Town.

The source of the fungus itself was traced back to the cheeses the diner used. Recently, the owner, a greasy looking male Twi'lek, had switched vendors as a cost cutting measure. In fact, Health Department inspectors noticed all sorts of corners being cut at the restaurant upon close review that was missed by more casual auditors. Even if there was no longer the issue of the fungus, other violations would have shut this place down long before.

Some "recommendation" this place turned out to be. Finley was never going to let Floritz live this down.

SM.png

Finley had been indirectly exposed to the fungus, but as he hadn't ingested any of the contaminated cheese, he was quickly cleared from quarantine. Still, he remained on scene with Callat he was directly involved with the whole resulting altercation.

One of the health inspectors finally approached them with an update, covered head to toe in a white a suit, only his face exposed under the hood as his breathing mask dangled from the neck. He let out a heavy sigh while making notes on a large datapad.

"If there's a silver lining to this mess, we at least caught the fungus before we had a real outbreak on our hands. If other people had been doing their job down here, then this place would have been shut down before any of this could unfold. "

Laziness, or bribes. During his time as a Jedi, the Corellian had found local officials as some of the most corrupt figures out there. It was just so easy to get away with it at this level in a sea of trillions.

"Anyway, we have it contained now, and we're looking to see if anyone else on the planet partnered with these vendors."

"Silver is best. So who is the vendor, exactly?" Finley inquired. "Someone local?"

"No, not at all. Mr. Monty told me he switched to Fuenster's Creamery, based out of Wielu in the Inner Rim. Just outside of Alliance space, so really out of our hands when it comes to follow up. A real shame because this fungus is really weird, and I have lots of questions."

"Hmm..." Finley thrummed, scratching his chin. "This is right in my wheelhouse. I can check out Fuenster's and see what the deal is. No promises I'll find anything, but it's better than us being left in the dark."

Finley had his own concerns about the fungus, specifically related to the affects it had on him as a Force Sensitive. In the wrong hands, such a thing could be wielded as a weapon.

He looked over to Callat. "NJO let Padawans take field trips?"

Finley was half joking - because every Jedi Knight knew if there was anyone who liked to wander (often into trouble), it was a Padawan. Callat seemed quite capable though, reminding him more of the Rangers he worked with in the Concord.

Damsy Callat Damsy Callat

will you sink down to me?
Damsy's face uncharacteristically fell at the mention of a field trip, though not for the obvious reason.

The others would be a little more than hangry now. They could manage themselves—there were some ration bars and canned food in the Vault—but hopefully they didn't worry. She'd try to send a long-distance telepath to Kai before she and Finley made atmosphere if she could get a quiet moment away.

"S-sure, they do," she replied, forcing words as well as a more mercurial expression. ...when I'm not on Sithspawn house arrest, she added to herself, something she wasn't planning on having to experience ever again.

"Your ship, Mas', or mine?"

Finley Dawson

Finley Dawson

F
In a sudden shift, the once gung ho woman now became tepid as she stuttered through her response to his question.

To him it sounded like "not really", but he accepted her response anyway. While she may be a Padawan, she was also very clearly an adult so he didn't feel responsible for her choices. Within the Silver Order, Senior Padawan were often leading troops and conducting investigations on their own.

"My ship will be fine and don't call me Master. We're partners on this."

He had parked his ship within the same district, so it was only a short walk to a turbolift to reach the landing pad after being released by the CDF and collecting fungal cultures from the health inspectors. On the landing pad, they were greeted with the sight of a modern YT light freighter, almost cliché for the Corellian to be using, but nothing could beat a good frame from the CEC, packed with all sorts of custom goodies. Most of said self-installed mods were hidden, of course, but the exterior could be readily observed that the freighter was well-armed like a gunship.

One of those mean-looking repeater turrets quickly swiveled, snapping right onto Callat, saturating her with invisible energy from active sensors.

"Whoa...easy buddy!" Finley called out, swiftly approaching the ship to gently knock on the hull. "She's with me."

After a few moments, the turret reset its position.

He looked back to Callat, offering a sheepish smile. "Sorry about that, by default my droid runs a security protocol to ward away strangers when I'm not around, but it shouldn't have triggered when I was in proximity. I guess my droid felt the area was a little too sketchy. Anyway, this is the Moonshine. Puck, will you do the honors?"

The main ramp dropped from the meridian of the ship right under the tinted glasteel cockpit.

"There's a full kitchen inside, in case you want to give lunch another try."

The 'hands up, step back, try to make yourself small' reaction to the territorial ship was instantaneous, though not aided by the Force. She was chit at Art of Movement after all, but her military days had all but physically rewired her muscle memory to certain scenarios. Sudden hostility was one with two trained options, and she didn't really want to fight a ship.

"Mine too," Damsy muttered as she followed Finley aboard. "Though she's less trigger hap—actually, she doesn't have access to my guns. I, uh, don't normally fly alone."

At the mention of kitchen, she nodded. "Oh, Ashla, yeah, man. You get us floatin', I'll get something fryin'?"

Hopefully Finley was alright with the alternative honourific. Master or man, there was really no in between.

Finley Dawson

Finley Dawson

F
Whistles and beeps began to fill the central corridor connected to the main ramp. A large puck-shaped astromech had emerged, hovering toward Finley. It initially trained its single crimson monocle on Finley, then over his shoulder toward his accomplish. It issued another string of notes directly at her.

"Ha...not sure if you speak Binary, but he just said that I'm never alone. Puck is always here, always watching."

The monocle's photoreceptor narrowed.

"Anyway, feel free to use the kitchen, it's just right through there." Finley continued, missing the gesture his droid just made. "Puck, will you get an astrogation solution prepped for Wielu?"

Puck beeped once as an affirmative, then drifted past their heads to the cockpit. Finley motioned for the Padawan to follow him deeper into the ship in the opposite direction. Despite Finley's myriad of customizations, the internal layout didn't differ much from the typical YT light freighter. The corridor opened up to a large common area at the center of the ship, which in turn led off to individual rooms and storage bays. He left her in the common area to have reign over the kitchen while he proceeded to enter the medbay to lock the fungal cultures in a stasis chamber.

"I keep the kitchen well stocked, so cooking is really limited to your imagination," he called out through the open sliding door. "Just don't expect to find any truffles or caviar. I'm on that Jedi budget."

As soon as Finley began to walk further into the ship, Damsy stuck her tongue out at Puck.

And, for a moment, she remembered her old seeker drone, Squish. Her face fell from playfulness right into the dirt.

She jogged a few strides to catch up with the mini tour. "Hey, yeah, me too," she said to the Jedi budget comment, though hers was most certainly quite a bit less. That and she was doing things, hot Sithspawn things, with it she shouldn't.

Once in the kitchen, Damsy immediately began looking over ingredients. "You good with seafood?" she hollered out the door she had left open. A ray of her true colours, that. A mermaid, more like a shark than a fish, enjoyed a good marine catch even, maybe especially, on dry land.

Finley Dawson

Finley Dawson

F
"Seafood?" Finley called out from the medbay as he loaded up the canister into the stasis pod. "If it's not breaded and fried with some chips then I'm honestly at a loss."

It wasn't quite the truth, but his knowledge aside from a deep-fry was a typical pan sear of fish with lemon and garlic. Rarely did he touch crustaceans which were in effect giant sea bugs. Growing up by the polluted seas of Coronet City, he wasn't exactly exposed to the best examples of aquatic cuisine.

"Hmm, I have some fillets of white meat in the freezer if you want to show me something new."

Canister secured, he shifted to the adjacent console to activate the stasis field. He winced as he switched open the trigger, hearing a menacing hiss in his mind. Was that the canister? He could have sworn the mold samples had been previously suspended with a cryo shot to prevent such feedback.

Uh, the sooner the psycho alien spores were off his shop, the better.

"You're at a loss fo'sure, my man!" she called back, over both distance and the shifting of ice as she dug around in the freezer. "Breading fish's sacrilege!"

Ah ha!

Damsy set the aforementioned fillets on a slab of counter nearby to the fridge unit and shifted her attention to the appliance's upper half. Then to the pantry. "For real, though, you don't gotta do that chit. All the flavours..." She snapped, signifying gone. "Bathing anythin' in oil is cheating."

After gathering ingredients and spices near a cutting board, and preheating the oven, Damsy leaned over the kitchen island like a sunbathing sea lion. "Batter and whatever that spore stuff is is off the table. That chef looked like he was on a hella bad trip. What's up with it, anyway? Any readings yet?"

Finley Dawson

Finley Dawson

F
"You're not wrong," He agreed as he returned to the kitchen. "Though seasoning and quality ingredients can come at a premium."

"You know in ancient human history - I'm talking pre-industrial - There used to be vast globe spanning empires that got their start just by some guys looking for a good hit of spice. I guess these spices used to be pretty hard to grow outside their native regions, so they commanded a hefty premium. Huge wars used to be fought just for the privilege of delivering the nutmeg that people grate into their cream sauce."

He wasn't quite sure what Dallat had in mind for her final product, but thus far she hadn't burnt down the place so he imagined that whatever she produced would be decent.

"The chef was more than on a trip. Gamorreans are strong, but I think that guy could have easily pummeled a pack of Wookies while under the influence of those spores."

He recalled the fight near the end of their chase. When Callat initially engaged the chef, he was afraid she would have been sliced into sushi the way the Gomorrean wielded his vibro-cleaver. More accurately, the entity controlling the Gomorrean.

"The GCPD Forensics team shared their initial scans with me. No direct hits came up in their databases, though some notes mentioned the resemblance to various parasitic fungal species like Cordyceps. They couldn't confirm if the parasites were telepathic, but you felt it like I did back then, right?"

"Wow," she replied before straightening up. She moved a small bowl in front of her and started mixing together the selection of spices. "That's one of the more..." She cleared her throat, remembering who she was with. "Uh, interestin' reasons to go ta war I've 'eard." And she'd heard plenty, even a few first-hand.

The Siren went quiet for the rest of Finley's monologue, or at least she didn't speak. She did rustle out a baking pan and smooth out crinkled sheet of aluminum foil to cover it. She could hear him well enough that she glanced up from her work when her asked his question. "Yeah, I did."

A pause, gnawing of her lip. She had to go for it. Maybe she should follow Syreni's intuition too. "I dunno if this helps, but I got the impression of neutrality. Whatever that spore stuff is, don't think it's evil. Think it's just trynna live."

Now, that didn't mean who realeased it, if intentionally, wasn't to some degree evil.

But at least this Sithspawn didn't think they were dealing with another.

Finley Dawson

Finley Dawson

F
Finley sighed. "People can be vicious over the pettiest things, but in our minds at the time, those petty motivations can probably be the most important thing in the world. I wish we could say we have evolved since ancient times, but..."

His parents had brought him up in the world with the idea that they would leave a better life for him, but every year since the cracking of Corellia things just got worse. Planetwide glassing after glassing, xenocide after xenocide. The most death and destruction the galaxy had known since the Gulag Outbreak. Just over what exactly?

In his meditations, he had come up empty.

She noted that she had felt nothing particularly malicious about the fungus as it had possessed the Gamorrean, which he nodded to in agreement.

"I was left with that impression as well. The entity never actively assaulted anyone as it was fleeing, and only attacked us once we became an impediment it couldn't avoid. So, I'm hoping it was being driven by fear and survival." He glanced over at the open entrance of the medical bay. "I've contemplating trying to communicate with the fungus, but I'm afraid to bring it out of stasis and it causes an accident during hypertransit. Hopefully we'll get some answers at Fuenster's."

Honestly, the fungus, after its crippling psychic screams, had left him quesy and he wanted to take a break thinking about it more until touchdown.

"Okay, change of topic," he called out as he made a pause sign with both hands. "If we find ourselves in deeper poo doo, I'd like to know a little more about my new partner. You're a Padawan, but obviously not a temple rat. Give me the Spark Notes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom