Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Angel-Class Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Umbris Potestas Est
Angel.png
Intent: To provide Subach-Innes with an interceptor as a part of its starfighter lineup.
Development Thread: N/A
Hero Unit: N/A
Manufacturer: Subach-Innes | Defiance Consolidated Multipurpose Manufacturing
Model: Interceptor
Affiliation: Independent
Modularity: Yes
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Diatium(capacitors), quadanium steel(armor), Durasteel(frame)
Description: Named after the great mythical species of seraphine beings who supposedly lived around the moons of Iego, the Angel is a basic interceptor designed for 1 thing: survivability. Along with having a torpedo-like profile with thin wings, the Angel is reasonably well armed, the pair of laser cannons and concussion missile launcher providing a great deal of armament for the little frame. Instead of relying on shields, the Angel's hull is lined with diatium capacitors that can absorb some of the energy of a laser bolt, allowing individual hits to be diffused and giving the hull more resistance to lasers than would be expected from an interceptor with basic shields. While the concept theoretically allows for more protective capabilities, a long enough burst will overload the capacitors, shorting out the engine and avionics to leave the vessel stranded in space with only an emergency beacon and life support for company. Of course, a skilled pilot wouldn't be getting themselves shot up, would they? The Angel is an interceptor usable by the novice, but designed for the expert.
Classification: Starfighter
Role: Interceptor
Height: 3.34m
Width: 9.85m
Length: 16m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Geonosian Industries GR-316 Ligh Fighter-Grade Antimatter Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: 1.0
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimal Crew: 1
Armaments: 2 wing-mounted laser cannons, 1 pack-mounted concussion missile launcher, 8 missile capacity
Hangar: N/A
Non-Combative Attachments: Subach-Innes SIS Fighter-Grade Sensor System, self-discharging diatium capacitors
Passenger Capacity: N/A
Cargo Capacity: N/A
Consumables: 3 days
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: Class 1

Mod request 27.3.18
Original Section(s):
Manufacturer: Subach-Innes
New Section(s):
Manufacturer: Subach-Innes | Defiance Consolidated Multipurpose Manufacturing

I don't see anything that stands out except for the diatium capacitors. The armament and such all look fine, but I do want a second opinion on those capacitors, even though I think they're perfectly fine.

@[member="Sirella Valkner"]

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
I'd like to know how they work before I decide one way or another with them along with details about how many laser shots it absorbs and just more about it's ability you know? If you can do that we can better judge this entry.

In Umbris Potestas Est
The capacitors are designed to absorb 6 laser shots(this is per all the capacitors, not just a single one), and after 3 seconds, they discharge the energy from the ship into space.

The capacitors are placed across the hull of the fighter and connected together, essentially becoming one large energy storage cell. When a laser hits the durasteel, because the capacitors are empty or not fully charged, they absorb the energy of the laser blast, preventing the hull from suffering any more damage than slight carbon scoring.

The concept, when I came up with it, was that an expert pilot would be able to use the fighter's speed and maneuverability to avoid getting hit(after all, no shields does equal more power to other subsystems) in order for the capacitors to discharge. A novice pilot, not exactly knowing how to use the fighter to its fullest potential, would likely get shot well more than half a dozen times, thus stranding him in space and leaving him as scrap metal for the nearest person to hurl a missile into him.

If you guys don't think the system would work as intended, just tell me and I'll gladly remove it for a more conventional protective system.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
I don't think it would work. But more to the point 6 laser blasts is excessive. And a 3 second wait to discharge? You basically just made a ship immune to laser fire if every three seconds it can take 6 laser blasts. Now what I would suggest instead of a set "it absorbs a whole laser six times!" is maybe something along the lines of it dissipates the energy, making the hit weaker? So each hit still hurts but it hurts a little less. I mean an X-wing which supposedly has decent shielding still got KO'd by a TIE fighters laser cannons in like a few hits. X-Wing and TIE fighter that series of games sort of "ruined" that perception. And the prequels had a non shielded fighter seemingly take a bunch of hits as well (although none of them were direct hits supposedly supa pilot obi-wan), so there are huge contradictions here as far as things like that. The easy explanation is that laser technology got better, or simply they were different types of lasers, in which case we need to decide how exactly we want to do things. Personally when I judge I use a world war two model. Ships can take hits it isn't always 1 hit kill but with laser cannons it isn't to far off almost regardless of defenses, assuming a direct hit, or a hit on something that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom