Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private An Unfruitful Harvest; The Divine Liberated

q2YtchP.png
A few days in solitude had given him time to think... Honestly he didn't know how long had passed since that fateful moment that continued to haunt his mind. It was a little hard to keep track between the skips of traumatic blur and not seeing the light of day, from inside his cell. Cheers he had once heard through Zimri's radio at the temple, now a dull thunderous roar beyond the walls of his prison. He had always dreamed of seeing the games, but never imagined his first would be his last, seeing them up close in person, as a participant. As a convict, sentenced to die in the gladiator arena.

Strangely, he wasn't afraid. After he had had some time to think and process it all. Rather a odd sense of calmness about it. Acceptance. Just another one of those circle of life things. "Unfair" never once crossed his mind, for someone indoctrinated to believe in the natural order of weak versus strong, god versus mortal. People died here all the time. Young, old, rich, poor, thieves to rebels to murderers, all would face Aeron's judgement at the command of the priests. And the priests were always right. They were right to toss him into the pit; Yasha had no qualms with that.

Empty and stripped of honor, the only reason he hadn't allowed himself to die at the hands of Asmus rather than suffer the arena was some small comfort that his last act had been to protect Odemyrii from one less monster in her midst, that he had fulfilled his duty. He hadn't reached out to the goddess at all since then, wanting to be alone, curled up and waiting, wanting to die, his mind closed off and withdrawn, dead and buried. He didn't want to think about her anymore. Nor the thought of Zimri taking his place as her Chosen. The only thing he needed now was peace, to numb himself for the final end. Tired and worn, there was little else to do but lie on his cot and stare at the ceiling, pondering how his fight in the arena would go down.

And yet, there was a stir of hope, as his mind drifted, dwelling on the mystery and miracle of it all, that he had survived a monster's grasp. So many factors... Perhaps if Asmus was younger, or taller, strength and size would have gained the advantage. Or perhaps the strength of his Rattataki ancestors would have won either way. Perhaps it was his practice with the blade, knowing where to aim, that hinged his success. Or if not for his lack of bisaata, having met up with Asmus before the morning tea, his reflexes might have been slower. That his aim had been swift, precise and sure, against a less powerful foe... What were the odds?

Luck had saved him from Asmus that day. Perhaps it would save him now, in the arena.

A long ride brought her into the city early. In 2 days time, on the night of the blood moon, she was to witness Aeron's judgement, to spectate the brutal games. It would be a night she knew she would dread.

"I must see him... Are you to deny a Goddess' request? If Aeron shall judge, I will deliver my blessing to one who has served me." Odemyrii had made her demands despite the protests that Yasha posed a danger to her. However, she knew it was far from the case. It was Goddess' vengeance he had administered, but yet it delivered him into the grasp of Aeron. The archbishop - the one who hurt her, now dead. Sins came with consequences. Even with her divinity, she knew that there was no overruling the priests.

Chaperoned by Ruith and another guard, she led her into the dungeon below the arena, out of reach of light and the stuffy air frigid. Ruith stood close as angry prisoners hissed, yelled and hit their cages violently as they walked past. "Here." Keys rattled as the prison guard unlocked the cell. The door creaking sharply as he swung it open. Protectively, Ruith stood close enough to intervene if things went south, but far enough to give them some space.

There, curled up in the far corner was a silhouette. Odemyrii brought her lamp closer, the glow lighting up the area if only dimly. "Yasha?" She approached cautiously, her voice trembling as she called out his name in a whisper. "What did they do to you?"

Last edited:
q2YtchP.png
"Goddess?" Surprised, Yasha sat up on his cot as Odemyrii drew closer. His splotched face and arms illuminated by the flickering light of her lamp. That he had a cell all to himself wasn't because of status. The unruly prisoners Odemyrii had passed by said they weren't the friendliest bunch to be confined with. Given the bandages and ointment that covered Yasha's bruises, the dungeon was no torture chamber. Unwell prisoners made for poor sport in the arena. Three meals a day, medicine, blankets and clothes. The dungeon was bleak and bare, but clean. No critters scurrying about, no awful stench. Comfortable but not too comfortable (though for those accustomed to a life of temple luxury, it meant little difference, that it could possibly be worse than this). Made the waiting all the more anxious, as day by day, one by one, the cells were emptied of their guests, soon to engulf Yasha in silence. The best, special ones like him, saved for last in the arena.

"Why are you here?" He asked, shirking Odemyrii's worry aside. While he was relieved to see her alive, probably the last pretty face he would get to see before he died, there was a drip of venom in his stance. Wary of those within earshot, and skeptical of the goddess as well. Like a cornered dog, beaten and battered, not knowing whom to trust next. A part of him couldn't help but feel hurt and betrayed by the divine, that he was in the predicament he was in. He had done his duty. Why couldn't she just leave him alone to die? Last thing he wanted was Odemyrii on his mind to distract him, before he was tossed into the pit.

Last edited:

At the cold undertone of his words, her brows furrowed. He was hurt and reasonably so. Although she was cautioned to keep her distance, she sat beside him. Odemyrii couldn't help it, her arms reached out pulling him in an embrace. "I came here to see you." Moisture brimmed at the corners of her eyes. It might as well be the last time she ever saw him. She couldn’t imagine things ending this way for her chosen. "And to give you my blessing." She added on, from under her sleeve she slipped him a small pouch - within was a short blade and a small quantity of ankhita. Enough of the herb would put him in a death-like slumber.

q2YtchP.png
His coldness melted in Odee’s arms, leaning into her. His outer hand wrapped forward to touch her upper arm, squeezing it tightly as his eyes also squeezed shut with emotion. Despite his attempt to look strong, to shrug her away, his response showed that he appreciated her comfort, inhaling her scent of sweet oil and florals as the goddess drew him closer into her embrace.

Behind his back, their hands met. Confused by the gesture at first, the touch of foreign fabric against his skin, something in Odee's eye told him to stay silent and play along, as they parted. A whispered "Thank you" and hopeful smile from him was farewell enough. The door clanged, the guards' footsteps faded away. Alone again, did Yasha finally slip out the small pouch from behind him, to take a peek and sniff its contents.

Ankhita? He was familiar enough with the herb to recognize, and yet was still confused. What did Odemyrii want from him? It was a rather large amount of ankhita. Yasha couldn't remember if it was possible to overdose. Would it be enough to kill him?

What was her plan? What did she want from him? . . . What did he want?

To deny the crowd their entertainment? To rob the priests of their satisfaction? To no longer play the games of the gods? . . .

Perhaps this was a coward's death. Or perhaps, it was a leap of faith he would have to take, in trust of a goddess he believed could somehow know all, see all.

While the blade might have made a more powerful statement to prove he had taken fate into his own hands; for Odemyrii's sake, he decided not to use. She was the last one, the only one, to have visited him. Yasha wouldn't let her be suspected of aiding him, supplying him the means to inflict a mortal wound. Best let the people assume the supernatural, that divine judgement had struck him down.

So he tucked the evidence into a neglected crack between the stones of his cell, choked down the handful of dry and bitter herb, and curled onto his cot, sailing on a euphoric wave until darkness crashed over him.

... ... ...​
muOsXow.jpg
A soft breeze caressed his face, the cool of night greeting him as Yasha stirred awake. Lying in as comfortable of a position someone could prop him up with a blanket and makeshift pillow on a bed of grass.

His head turned to one side, seeing the stone and pillars and lights of a shrine. A tree in the center of a pool and... Odemyrii? Ruith?

He blinked at the two figures beside him.

Did he die? Was this the afterlife?

“Hey," he said weakly and licked his dry lips, still groggy from his comatose slumber. “What’s going on?”

Last edited:
With tears in her eyes, she parted away from Yasha. The 'blessing' she had given him, could be a curse, if he wanted it to be. She could only hope that the divine connection between the Goddess and her chosen could be enough to lead him through what she planned. It was a risk to divulge that plan to Ruith, but she wasn't foolish or dauntless enough to pull it off by herself. But Ruith was one who she trusted dearly.

She had taken a dress from one of her handmaidens and a scarf to cover her head. Just as darkness crept after dusk, they departed on a beast and wagon Ruith had managed to hijack. It was a short ride back to the arena, back where they were in the afternoon. Ruith had told her to wait while went back into the dungeon. Minutes felt like hours, as she waited, staying low and hearing people pass.

An audible breath of relief she sighed when she finally saw Ruith appear, with a body heaved over his shoulder. The man would place the body on teh cart. "He is terribly cold." She remarked, placing the back of her hand on his forehead. Of course, while it was the effects of ankhita, the body sustaining such a low temperature was worrying. "He will be fine, he just needs time." Ruith assured as he mounted the beast.

Ruith turned to her. "Are you sure about this, Goddess?" The guard asked. It was a lot to demand from him, even as a Goddess, but in her eyes, it would be worth everything. "Yes, I am." She replied. And with that, Ruith drove the beasts forwards on the road to Euphera's shrine.

It was perhaps about two hours on the road before they reached their destination. Even then, Yasha was still unconscious. All that there was to do was wait. Ruith, as always, was on alert and stood guard. Seated with her back against one of the pillars she waited next to him. Tired she was this late at night, her head turned upwards, watching the stars twinkle above. She was Odemyrii, the Goddess of the Stellar, the stars which she would soon join.

Finally, Yasha stirred. "You're awake - he is awake, Ruith," Odemyrii beckoned the guard over. When Yasha, sat up, she pulled him into another tight hug, her face burying into his shoulder. "I made you a promise, Yasha. You are mine. My chosen. Aeron will not have you." She began. She held him at arms length as she explained, her eyes searching his. "Ruith will be witness to the harvest. Return to the temple and you'll be pardoned - to take your place with the others like you were supposed to."

rf1JoX7.png
Another hug. Yasha cracked a giddy smile, his limbs asleep anyway, even if he wanted to hug Odemyrii back. He could get used to this...

"Where am I?" He asked.

"Euphera's shrine, about two hours' ride from the arena," Ruith said, rather straightforward, with time of the essence. "You took the herb, fell asleep and we broke you out of prison—well, I did—before you were turned into beast food. We've been out for about an hour, here." Seeing the cold realization wash over Yasha's face, Ruith shrugged. "Still among the living. Sorry."

"Yeah, I thought that was the plan," Yasha chuckled dryly to himself at the mention of "beast food". He had half wished to die and was let down to know it wasn't the case. How Ruith managed to pull that off, sneaking through the dungeon amidst the eyes of a bloodbath that never slept, Yasha would have to ask about it later.

Odemyrii's next words caught him by surprise, Ruith's hand catching his eye to the hilt of a dagger sheathed on the guard's belt.

"The Harvest?" Yasha's eyes darted frantically between the two. "Here? Now?"

He may have murmured against the gods in his cell, but with the moment thrust upon him at Euphera's shrine, fear of the divine struck the excommunicated eunuch's heart.

"H-How do you know?" He stammered at Odemyrii. "How do you know they'll forgive me? I killed Asmus, we--you broke me out - I - This isn't how it's supposed to be!" He argued.

The priests had a novel of rules about the time, place, setting and arrangements of the Harvest, where any deviation from tradition could spell disaster for the ceremony and invoke the wrath of the gods. Without approval from a priest, Yasha couldn't see how Odemyrii's improvisation of a sacrifice would be accepted, her blood spilled for naught, rejected by the gods.

He wasn't prepared for this. Not under these circumstances.

It wasn't the reaction she had expected of him, she had at least thought he'd be grateful that she'd made this second chance possible for him, instead, he was on the defensive. It wasn't a tone the Goddess appreciated but she was understanding, he had just awoken from a comatose slumber after all. "It is my time to ascend, Yasha. Euphera will bless you, I will be with you, the Gods are not unkind." To be frank, it was only hope she held that he would be pardoned. As selfish at it was, it was her time to leave her mortal life.

"It is my time, Yasha. You have served me well, I will only ask last thing of you."

rf1JoX7.png
It was Ruith who voiced Odemyrii's displeasure at Yasha. "It's not what any of us wants it to be. But the goddess wills it and now it must be so," he said firmly. Something in Ruith's downcast stare—Anger? Regret? Sorrow?—and unwillingness to meet Odemyrii's eye had Yasha glancing between the two like an awkward third wheel. Did he miss something?

"We should both be honored," he growled at Yasha, though something in Ruith's tone lacked conviction in that moment, flicking a ruffled sideways glance at Odemyrii. "I'm risking my neck too, Yasha. Least you can do is thank your goddess for giving you a chance of redemption. Now do what you were chosen to do," he ordered with a stony glare, his hand helping pull Yasha to his feet as the boy found his legs, guiding him over to the pool of Euphera's shrine. To a slab of stone whose dark stain and fragrant odor marked an altar to all sorts of offerings given.

Yasha could tell, Ruith didn't want to do this either. But the warworn discipline of a palace guard had already distanced those emotions, as well as more time in cohorts with Odemyrii's plan to come to terms with them. Yasha knew from personal experience how stubborn Odee could be, that arguing with her was futile when she made up her mind, his tired eyes akin to the defeat in Ruith's as the guard slipped the knife's hilt into Yasha's hand.

"What?" His gaze turned to Odemyrii. What more did she want to ask of him?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom