Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Ordinary Day

[member="Aela Talith"] // [member="Jacen Voidstalker"]

Eyes blinked for a second before Kaili could finally register what was going on.

“Uh, yeah, of course.” She looked towards the children and then back at her sister. “I can do that.”

The living room and the observatory. Two oddly specific locations, fittingly also two of the biggest ones. This wasn’t something Kaili wanted to do, but when Aela spoke you just kinda listened and that was that. Kaili gave her sister a look that said it all. ‘I know.’ The action might have been witnessed from a live feed on a ship in the Outer Rim, but that didn’t make it any less real.

As Aela let go, Kaili turned towards the kids and looked them all over.

“Right, uh, well… You heard her!” She tried to sound enthusiastic. It didn’t work, she came across far more confused than anything. “We’re going to give you a tour of the place and then…”

Eyes set on Jacen. “Whatever it was you guys are going to do here.”

[member="Kaili Talith"]

"I think after that comes Aela raiding the food for everyone," Jacen said with a grin and shrug. It was all he had right now. The ability to seem calm and jovial in the very worst of times. At the end of it all, he hadn't expected that those would be the qualities that he needed. The thought of war made him weary, but he knew that he would have to fight again. But Jacen needed to be a mentor, and a father, not the soldier.

Trextan could take care of himself far more than he could a few years ago, Jacen had seen to that. He saw the fire in the boy that had burned in himself for many years. Only it had been cultivated by the dark side. It was why he had seen to his replacement arm being a military model. The lad had looked at him resentfully, but Jacen just knew that Trextan wasn't the type to back down from a fight. If he had tried to ensure he was kept safe from it all then Trextan would have resented him for that too. Perhaps he had made the wrong decision, but trying to calm him down whilst still preparing him for the worst had seemed the best thing. Even if what he really wanted was to mend the rift between them. Focusing on that would have been for himself.

"Come on, don't touch anything. Especially if it looks expensive."

Micah was getting better. Since being here Vexen hadn't paid much attention to galactic events. In some ways they had never really concerned here. Her own world had slowly expanded, but it was still a narrow one. Being out of the house meant not being in the noise sphere that followed the children. In her naive view they all seemed tired, so would likely be asleep and quiet soon.

Silently she padded down towards the shore. The sound of the waves more welcome than the chorus of children. "There's a lot of them," she quietly reflected as they walked down towards the water. Aela certainly didn't need a tracker. Her parents had left clear enough tracks where they had meandered away from the house.

”There are.” Aela agreed quietly. She hoped that her parents would understand. Her mother would, and it wasn't like her father was a heartless monster or anything but having thirty children dumped in your home wasn't exactly something easy to handle. Even for people like Soliael and Kira. ”We had to get them out.”

She explained. ”There was a traitor in the New Jedi Order, and if we hadn't taken the kids the Sith would have known to come for them.”

Something that had simply not been an option for Aela or Jacen. It had been an emergency, but they had handled it as best as they could. Aela was confident they would be able to find a place for the children to go. She wasn't entirely sure where, but her mother would likely be able to at least point them in the right direction.

Aela frowned slightly as they stepped in her parents tracks. ”How is Micah?”

Shed been home to see her little brother since he’d woken up of course, but it had been a bit since then.

[member="Jacen Voidstalker"]

“Ah.” Kay nodded, uncertain of what to say about the sitaution just yet. “Well, it’ll be a challenge. Not impossible, we have a lot of it, but I guess it’s also a matter of actually cooking food too.”

The younger blonde peered over her shoulder and then at Jacen. They looked worse for wear given the situation. At least Jacen did. There was fear, yet hope in the air, and in a sense Kaili wasn’t quite sure what to make of the situation. What she said was true. They most likely had the food to sustain them for a bit, but that was also a matter of getting the food cooked.

“Don’t listen to the scary Jedi Master,” Kay felt a grin pull at the corner of her lip. “It’s only a few thousand credits if you break anything.”

Humor would do them good, right?

“Nothing is too expensive for Master Talith, she is loaded. Trust me, I would know.” Kaili laughed and shook her head as she lead them into the living room and let the thirty-something people flood its interior. “Uh, right, anyway this is the living room.”

She glanced at the couch and ran over to collect the pad on it and held it firmly in her hands.No need for that to fall into the wrong hands. Not that the Padawans were necessarily the wrong hands, but work was work.

“We should be able to fit a majority of people in here, depending on how tight we’re thinking of bunching up.” Kay looked at Jacen for that one before she looked back at the children. “I am guessing we could leave those of you who will stay here in this room with Jacen while I bring the rest over to the observatory.”

[member="Kaili Talith"]

"I knew it," one of them whispered.

"She was joking!"

"I knew that."

Even when they were being quiet the children managed to bring a hubbub with them. They were split between the Coruscant and Woostri groups, but Jacen caught some of the bolder ones crossing that divide. Or perhaps it was just the older ones. Life went on.

Jacen turned back towards the group and did a quick head count.

"Girls you stay here. Don't unpack too much, but find some space to sit and get comfortable. Boys come with us." Jacen turned towards Kaili. "Are they actually any shops near here?" he asked.

[member="Aela Talith"]

Now there was a question. Vexen's ears briefly flattened out before sticking back up. The question made her feel slightly uncomfortable, but in a way she was glad to be asked. She hadn't had a chance to voice how she felt about his recovery.

"He's gettin' better. Slowly. I guess it's a lot to learn to cope with. But... He does get more angry than he used to. With something bothers him. But that's probably normal right?" She looked towards Aela as if trying to convey that it was a genuine question.

Even when he didn't voice it, she could feel frustration swell within him. He had never been quite so on edge before, but he had been through a lot.

"It is." She said quietly.

Aela was hardly a medical expert but she'd spent enough time in recovery that she knew feeling frustrated and angry was normal. A part of her did wonder if there was something more to it, but she wouldn't be able to tell without seeing her brother. She frowned slightly, but glanced at Vexen and changed her expression to a small smile.

"Don't worry too much." Aela told the Defel. "He'll be back to normal in no time."

Her feet shifted in the sand slightly. "Time heals all wounds."

Those weren't just placating words, but ones that Aela genuinely believed in. She'd had a crisis of faith recently, or close to what most would describe it as. She'd had Jacen at her side to help her through it, and though it had taken time she'd managed in the end. Micah would do the same, and he was surrounded by more family than most could bare.

As these thoughts swirled through her heard she spotted her parents on the end of the beach, slowly walking besides one another.

"So that was the first time I slayed a Zillo Beast." Soliael said with a wide grin on his face, off hand ruffling through his beard as his other gently squeezed around his wife's fingers.

Both of them full well knew that he had never actually slain a Zillo Beast, more that he had been there when it had died. Still, Kira liked to hear stories from his past and even after all of their years together he had yet to tell them all. That was the benefit of having lived nearly five times as many years as your wife, she ran out of stories long before you. Not that he minded hearing the same tale once or twice from Kira, she had a way of bringing excitement back to every story she told.

A bubbly laugh came from his wife, something that he had missed over the last few weeks. "Maybe I'll take Micah to find one soon."

He said with a smile.

They had left their son sitting a bit further down on the beach. His recovery had been slow, and of course both Kira and Soliael had noticed the changed within their son. It was something they were approaching slowly, not pointing out but simply helping when they could. Both he and Kira engaged him in their own way, saw after him, but also gave him space when they thought he needed it. They were attentive parents, but knew that this was also something that couldn't be forced.

"He'll like that I thi-" Soliael cut himself off as he frowned for a moment, spotting the figures on the beach. "Aela?"

The reaction from the younger ones made the joke worthwhile though, and any smaller long-time hardship that Kay could put on her sister was always going to be hilarious by concept. For one, she could never on her life claim to be in need of money with a straight face from now on or complain that she had nowhere to stay.

The temptation to continue the joke at Jacen’s behalf was tempting but Kay held herself at bay. There were more important things to discuss, and perhaps she should take the situation just a little bit more seriously. These were displaced youth after all, and no matter how much she joked that wouldn’t really change. It wasn’t necessarily that she was cold of heart either, but something about the situation just seemed so outlandish too.

An hour ago Kaili herself had considered what to make herself for food, and now here they were in a situation where the portions increased from just the one person to another three dozen people as well.

She led the kids outside, listened to Jacen's question and shrugged.

"My shop used to be close by. On another island, same as the rest of them. They should be able to provide what you need." Kay said and pointed towards the observatory. There was an inside path to it, but she had always prefered the one that took them outside. "That's the observatory."

She lowered her arm and looked over at Jacen. "I take it that is where you will stay too? On account of all the boys and what not. Someone to keep an eye out."

[member="Aela Talith"]

It wasn't fair on [member="Micah Talith"] but at some level Vexen just wanted everything to go back to the way it had been before. They had been out exploring together. Peace and quiet between their destinations and as much attention as she wanted. She had assumed that things would be different when he found someone to settle down with and raise his own children. She hadn't expected something like this.

Aela said that time healed all wounds but Micah had lost an arm. That wasn't going to get fixed by time. She had changed, so maybe Micah would too. Forever.

The Talith parents were coming back towards them quickly now. The defel slowed up to let them work this all out. Manually adjusting her goggles she shut even more light out. The sand was bright and warm and making her uncomfortable. Vexen had always preferred being beside the sea at night.

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Jacen knee there was another Talith child, but Maleah seemed to be the most elusive of the pack. Micah had been around the Alliance since the early days but had never taken as active a role as Aela.

Whilst Micah had been in a coma Jacen had put his energy into looking after Aela. She had always seemed to kind to keep her hardships hidden from view, but she seemed to be more at peace with herself these days. He decided that once the children were settled he would talk to Micah.

"They won't be trouble," Jacen said with a slightly raised voice. "I shall be staying there though.

"How have you been Kaili?" he asked, realising that he'd been thinking about her injured brother without asking. "Living here these days or just passing through?"

Soliael and Kira quickly walked down the beach, greeting their daughter with a small wave and then an embrace. The patriarch of the Talith family glanced down at Vexen, offering the small defel a smile. "Micah is up on the cliffs."

He told her quietly, not wanting her to worry.

Then he quickly turned towards Aela, his lips thinning for a moment. He knew his daughter well, as he knew all of his children, and it was more than obvious that something was up. She shifted slightly and uncomfortably, though not exactly as though she were afraid of telling them bad news.

"Alright." He said with a sigh. "Whats up?"

Get over one problem and then deal with the next. That was how it always seemed to work in the Talith family, not that he was complaining really.

"I Uhh." She shuffled her feet slightly.

How was the best way to put this? Breaking into it at first would probably not go as smoothly with her father, but if she followed up with an explanation it would be better than just leading them back to the house immediately and dropping the kids on them.

After a moment Aela spoke up again. "I brought some guests."

Yes that was the best way to put this.

"The Alliance has fallen, the Sith...the First Order both attacked at the same time and we had no choice but to flee." She scratched the back of her head for a moment and the continued on. "Jacen and I took some of the kids from the Temple on Wroosti."

She left out Coruscant for now, attempting to low-ball the numbers. "I didn't know where else to go and..."

Aela trailed off.

"That is a question I often ask myself." She chuckled. "Between breaking up with my longtime girlfriend, dismantling and leaving my position as the CEO of an interplanetary chain of stores, hiding from a planet of people that worshipped the ground I walked on, and taking up life as a Warden again..."

Her head turned to the side to let the healing bruise on her temple show. All things considered it was just about done, but the bacta patch was still there on top of a small yellow-purple splotch.

"I'm alright." She sighed. It all felt rather small in the greater picture. They had a whole host of students who could have lost a great many more things against their will, and here Kay was complaining over things she willingly let go even if it hurt her. "I just need some time to get over things, so I guess that is why I stay here. There are few places better for it."

"... Doesn't mean it hurts any less though, apparently. So yeah, staying here for the time being."

[member="Kaili Talith"]

Jacen's brow slowly creased with each revelation. In the end he looked almost apologetic for having asked the question. In the end he just gave a shrug.

"I'm nearly forty, single and haven't been a CEO of anything..." he winced at his own words almost as soon as he had said them. This was why Trextan tended to lose his temper with him.

"How did you get that one then?" he asked quickly to move the topic to the bruise she sported.

"They're not too noisy!" Vexen tried to interject on Aela's behalf as she trailed off. That earned her a glance from Sol. Micah's father has always unnerved her when he was concentrating on something. There was a force of will always contained just beneath the surface. She had seen that unchained when Micah's mother had been in danger.

The defel took half a step back as if to let Aela occupy the limelight on her own.

Soliael rubbed his face.

He had really thought that he was done with having small children in his home, at least until one of his own decided it was time to find a proper life partner. He'd hoped that would still take some time, but apparently he was going to be inundated with thousands of questions and dozens of hungry mouths to feed.

It wasn't like the latter was a particular problem, they had plenty of money and even food stores but...

Without even looking at Kira Soliael could practically sense the excitement that was fluttering from his wife. He knew her well enough, and this would be a more than happy occasion for her. She had been caring for MIcah recently, as much as he would let her, but this? This was like a grand sort of birthday party for Kira, something that she'd never gotten to throw for any of her kids. In her heart of hearts Kira loved children, and she would not let this opportunity pass by easily.

No matter what Soliael said. "I.."

He began to speak, then took one glance over at Kira who was practically shaking with excitement.

"Just go, Honey." He told her. "Take Aela and I'll rustle up some food."

A loud, audible sigh escaped him.

“It’s overrated.” Kay laughed it off at Jacen’s comment. In the end the corporate life was about as appropriate for Kaili as color at a funeral. You could do it, but you really shouldn’t. Her enjoyment had always come out of what she created and the money was just a benefit. But when the care that went into maintaining the money meant holding meetings she had no interest in, and when it meant that she had to appease investors, then there was no enjoyment to be had.

As for the rest, well, those were connected. Kaili didn’t want to think on it in this moment and so she didn’t. Simple as that.

“I was working on a ship.” She shrugged and opened the door and turned around to notice the boys listening in on the conversation as well. “Uh, and then…”

[Performance Roll: 15. DC: 15]
Kaili cleared her throat. This was a crowd, and she was like a performer almost. She kept her cool, only if barely as she turned back to Jacen again.

“They’re listening, but… Okay.” She let out a nervous chuckle. “It was a food shipment from a smaller colony heading towards a coreworld. Same story as usual, really. Pirates wanted a free meal source, but… Well, I wasn’t going to let them. Turned the lights off, knocked them out cold one by another and bound them up for delivery upon arrival.”

“Went great until one of the big guys took the hit far better than I expected. Got me square in the temple, but uh…” She looked at the boys, rubbed at her neck. “I got him right in the groin. Didn’t take much more than that to knee him in the face and get him out of the game with the others.”

Most of them seemed to wince with a unison ‘ooooh’. A wide grin spread on Kay’s lips.

“Oh don’t worry, he deserved it.” She laughed. “He was a pirate after all. Call it an express lesson in humility and respect.”

[member="Soliael Devin Talith"]

As Aela and Kira stepped past and headed back towards the house Vexen stayed rooted the the spot. Her muzzle tilted back until she was looked right at Soliael through her the goggles Micah had made for her years ago.

"I lied," she said matter-of-factly. "They're really noise."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom