Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Explorer's First Steps

0TYajpG.png
Athiss
Undisclosed forest, miles away from Xera'Ul
Today marked the day Vaylin was setting foot into the galaxy, alone. Her master; [member="Aria Vale"], had seen to her initial reintegration but it was now time for the young Zabrak to venture out. However during that time, Vaylin had brought up the topic of wanting to explore, and while Aria had other commitments, she had drawn up a list of planets for her to explore. It comprised of either old Sith worlds, or ones that were generally steeped in history of the dark side. Because while Vaylin had been on Dxun, surrounding by it day in and day out, she had little true understanding of it. Only knowing of what it could provide at the basic of levels. To Vaylin it had been an ever constant companion, to replace those that had abandoned her; the Light. And later it became a tool, something to help strengthen her, to hunt the beasts that had once hunted her.

Athiss was a planet that had caught Vaylin's eye when she had done some research on the list of planets. Once, eons ago it had been home to one Vodal Kressh, an alchemist of his time. But more recently the planet was occupied by a race of people; known as Sith Purebloods. That had confused Vaylin, unaware on the very fact there was an actual Sith species that existed. It intrigued her, but for now she had no intention of going anywhere near the planet's populace. Instead it was the forests that had her attention. Strange as it might seem to others, but it was a familiar type of territory for Vaylin. While it would be different to Dxun's jungles, it was still the same kind of terrain she had spent years in. So it would be an easy fit for her to explore.

As such, Vaylin flew her ship down to the planet. She had kept a wide berth from the planet's capital, and settled down in a clearing amongst the larger of the forests. She had packed light, filling up a small bag with supplies with her only weapon being her lightsaber that was currently clipped to her belt. With that she departed her ship and headed straight into the forest proper.

[member="Sumiko Tanaka"]​

In the Darkness there is Truth
[member="Vaylin"]

Athiss. A world steeped in ancient Sith history. To many it was an abandoned, dead world. But as so often, appearances could be deceiving. For beneath the surfaces lay the sanctuaries of the Pureblood Sith. Even the insane Vitiate had dismissed this world as a haven for outcasts, but, ironically, this community had outlived the would-be god-emperor. Now, once again, they sought to extend their tendrils across the stars and exact their will upon the Galaxy - and any Sith.

One woman who considered herself Sith, but did not share the Pureblood's vision of the future, now trod upon this planet. The forests of this world were not like the jungles of Dromund Kaas, but close enough. Sumiko Tanaka wore robes that were the colour of the night. The Dark Side emanated from them, for they had been imbued with it through dark sorcery and blood sacrifice. The unenlightened would say they were tainted, but as far as the Atrisian was concerned those fools were blind to the Truth.

She cared not for physical conquest of worlds - or even the never-ending holy war between Jedi and Sith. Empires rose, grew and fell. While she felt great respect for the accomplishments and knowledge of the ancients, she did not feel obliged to succumb to path dependency. What she craved was simple: Knowledge, for it was the path to lasting power and influence. Thus she had come here.

Predators lurked in the forests and, on a world populated by Sith, there was always the risk that your fellow dark cultists would take offence to your existence - or try and take your spoils from your dead, cold hand. Thus she had come armed. Souldrinker, her entirely unfaithful sentient Sith sword, rested in a rune covered scabbard, ready to be drawn so that it might taste the blood of sentients and consume their souls. Moreover, she carried a powerful pistol in her holster.

Akuma, her far more faithful Atrisian tiger, mutated - nay, perfected! - through the Art of Sith alchemy, trotted alongside her, his aura radiating a primal hunger for flesh. Absentmindley, she petted the magnificient beast's head. "There, there, my good boy. So this is Althiss. Sanctuary for yet another community of Sith exiles, who bided their time for the right moment to return from the shadows. Why, there's truly a lot of those," she remarked very, very dryly.

Of its own accord, Souldrinker suddenly pulled out of its sheath and rose into the air. The sword obviously did not have eyes, but seemed able to perceive its surroundings through metaphysical means. "Perhaps this one shall accomplish something lasting: Eradicate the Jedi, conquer the galaxy. And what do you have planned, oh great mistress? Raid the ruins of the ancients to acquire mystical secrets that will definitely allow you to achieve apotheosis?" his tone was very snarky.

"Something of the sort," Sumiko remarked. "The Sith have endured here for millennia and this world has not been endured generations of raiders like Korriban and Ziost. Your last wielder, Naukros, was a confederate of Kressh, was he not?"

"Aye, and the fool paid the price for his folly. I warned him...but you know how mortals are. What a coincidence, your former teacher Halicanyos conspired against Vitiate as well and was locked in an oubliette."

"Truly a small world. Or the Dark Side has a sense of humour," Sumiko pulled the sword back into her grasp. "Then it is only fitting that some of Kressh's knowledge become mine." However, as she made her way further into the forest, her Force senses flared. She perceived a presence, still distant and faint, but coming closer. Its aura radiated darkness. She was not alone anymore.

It was strange to Vaylin, to be setting foot on another planet after being stuck in one place for years. Sure, her Master had taken her to a couple of planets after Dxun to help her get re-equiped as it were, new clothes, new armor. Albeit today she was wearing just simple clothing, painting the image of an average explorer - which would be true if it weren't for the lightsaber dangling at her side. Ultimately though Vaylin preferred to be able to feel the air against her skin rather than being stuffed under protective layers. Being on Athiss felt like she back there again, and yet this time it was a lot different, and better. For once, Vaylin was positively excited to be somewhere new.

There was no thick jungles, no storms morning and night. Even the colour palette was the complete opposite. There was an almost childlike wonder as she passed beneath the trees, her hand occasionally reaching up to the lower hanging branches to touch the orange leaves. If Aria could see her now, she'd probably wonder who she was. As she certainly wasn't the bloodthirsty young girl she had unleashed on Sarnus days ago.

As she walked, she felt the energy beneath the ground, the lingering dark that flowed in the dirt. It was nothing like on the Demon Moon however, that had a single source of the Dark Side in the form of a tomb, that had spread out like a disease. Even the beasts that inhabited it were effected, their presences once an overwhelming fear of Vaylin's years ago. But her time on Dxun, and the surrounding dark had strengtened her. Those creatures became nothing more than specks of weakness, incapable of truly using the thing that had twisted them. And how could they ever have? They were simple beasts after all.

It was that thought crossing her mind when she felt her senses flair, specifically aligned towards animals. In her aimless walking, she had ended up walking towards the source - located in an area where the trees were less dense. Vaylin felt the beast before she even saw it. A sense of ferociousness, an aura that hungered. Something Vaylin could connect with, her own thirst for blood an ever present companion when faced with her enemies. But there was also something off with it, something that wasn't natural. Then she felt an even darker presence, humanoid - and infinitely more powerful that was standing close by the beast.

Vaylin moved with caution, curiosity pushing her forwards. She had been attacked on Sarnus by other darksiders, so she was instantly on her guard. And as she stepped into view of the duo she was sensing, her hand was next to her belt, ready to grab her lightsaber. Her amber toned eyes fixed firmly on the pair, her focus split between the two.

[member="Vaylin"]

The presence grew stronger with each passing moment, indicating that the interloper was moving towards her position. There was a flair of childlike wonder and innocence to the newcomer's aura, but there was something else there, too, beneath the surface.

Something that intrigued the Sith Lady. Having spotted the interloper even before his mistress did, Akuma growled, puffing himself up like a predator tended to do, as if trying to size up possible competition in the jungle. "My, my, what have we here?" as the words left her lips, her tone was melodic, with a hint of an Atrisian accent in her otherwise flawless Basic. Black eyes travelled over the young Zabrak, noting the lightsabre that lay within her grasp, ready to be drawn and ignited. Her stance indicated that she was someone who knew how to use the glowstick.

"A young neophyte, bristling with the Force. You're not one of the Purebloods," the way she pronounced the last word indicated slight mockery. "Have you come here to scavenge the ancient secrets of the Sith? What is your name, girl?" As she spoke, she would try to reach out and touch the newcomer's mind in order to read her better. Nothing so invasive and crude as forcing her way into it. Brute force was not her style, unless necessary. No, her touch was more subtle. One could compare it to that of an insidious spider. Souldrinker was in reach, but she did not draw her blade.

Vaylin wasn't sure what to do, or rather she did but this was the first time she hadn't been outright attacked - or the one to instigate it. Hell she had attacked her Master with the intention to kill initially. So having an encounter that didn't immediately resort to violence? It was new to the Zabrak, and if she were honest she felt rather awkward. What good was talking anyway if it was just going to inenvitably result in a fight.

Said from the perspective of someone whose only company for five years were the very beasts that wanted to kill her every day.

When Akuma growled, Vaylin reacted with her own 'puffing up her chest' as it were. Her feet shifted across the ground, cementing her position and subtletly lowered her body mass. It was a sort of mimicry of a Maalraas standing its ground, and preparing to move at any moment.

While her hand remained close to her belt, Vaylin made no move to actually grab it and instead gave pause to any notion of attacking. Just looking at the woman and her companion gave Vaylin an unsettling feeling in her gut, that trying to go against them would not be a wise idea.

Vaylin's interest peaked slightly at the mention of the Purebloods, wondering if the woman knew of them.

"No. I'm not one of these 'Purebloods'." She kept her eyes fixed on Sumiko, but always kept Akuma within her vision at all times. "I'm here to explore...the name is Vaylin."

Her brow twitched in reaction to her mind being touched. She could feel it and yet couldn't figure out what it was exactly. Whatever it was it was triggering that gut instinct to lash out. But Vaylin refrained from acting on it.

"Who are you?"

To Sumiko, Vaylin's mind showed no real defence against her touch, at least there was no evidence of her being taught to. Instead there was a more of natural shield, woven from experiences that had forced her to become stronger, both physically and mentally. It was almost like a patchwork, with evidence of a former person once being there only to have been overcome by something darker. Emotions lingered out from gaps in the shield; isolation, anger. A hate for anything Jedi and the Light.

[member="Vaylin"]

"They're an awfully pompous lot, aren't they? Always prattling about their glory days aeons ago when the 'pure Sith race' reigned supreme, yes?" Sumiko spoke with a tone of haughty disdain. "I'm afraid none of them is a Marka Ragnos. Biologically, blood purity is such an absurd concept."

She also liked to hear herself talk. "Akuma," she hissed at the tiger. Her voice was like the crack of a whip and seemed to have the effect of the magnificient beast becoming less belligerent, though he kept its predatory eyes on the newcomer, ready to transition into a charge should his mistress let him off the leash.

"I am Sumiko Tanaka. I am Sith." So far, she had not seen the need to pick a fancy Darth title. The girl's mind was a truly intriguing one, the Atrisian thought. Her shield was patchwork, one not built by studying at the feet of a master, but through experience. This girl had been forced to help herself and become stronger. Pain and sacrifice were the best teachers. "Her aura smells like a beast. What will you do with her, I wonder?" Souldrinker whispered into Sumiko's mind.

"You've known loss - and that loss afflicts you still. Sacrifice, loneliness, pain, anger. These emotions make you stronger. Tell me, dear, how did the Jedi wrong you?" she asked. Whereas before her tone had been condescending, now it could be described as conversational.

"I suppose?" Vaylin said, a small shrug of the shoulders. "The term Purebloods and their species in general are news to me." She certainly had no means of learning them the past few years, and she was fairly sure when she was a Jedi they wouldn't have allowed access to that knowledge. Perhaps the Purebloods were the secretive type, did their entire species go into hiding? What was their history like, how old was it?

Perhaps she had heard of them before. The name Marka Ragnos certainly rang a bell in the Zabrak's mind, but the connection to the topic at hand didn't seem to fit.

Then again this whole line of thought was foreign to Vaylin, after years of only focusing on trying to survive and keep herself sane. Now she was suddenly much more inquisitive.

When Sumiko ordered her companion to back down, Vaylin did the same. Her hand moved away from the hilt and her body grew less tense. Though there was some hesistance on a subconscious level in what was her essentially letting down her guard. Self-taught instincts in conflict with curiosity, that eventually met at a middle ground. She lessened her threat, but was still clearly capable of acting should anything happen.

Vaylin didn't recognize the woman's name, nor was she sure if she should or not. Either way she didn't make any outward indication of it, unsure whether Sumiko would take offence.

She did suddenly grow tense shortly after however, though not because of a fear of being attacked. Instead out of surprise from what Sumiko had said.

"What..." It was a whisper, slipping from her lips without realizing. Vaylin gave the woman a strange look, one that asked 'how did you?' Then her mind began to whirl, the anger and fury of just hearing the name 'Jedi' began to stir. "They abandoned me, my Master left me on Dxun. Five years ago they just dissappeared never to return. Likely dead now, and they didn't have the decency to take me with them."

Though that wasn't entirely true. She knew of one person from the Jedi group she had been with. [member="Jacob Crawford"], the only one from the group that returned from the Netherworld. However Vaylin was never able to physically reach him before he left to god knows where now. Wouldn't of mattered though, even from a far she could sense the former Knight was no longer the same man he had been before the disappearance.

[member="Vaylin"]

"Millennia ago, what we call Sith were a race, as opposed to a fractured religion of a myriad cults. Warfare, attrition and interbreeding with human Jen'jidai - Dark Jedi - decimated their numbers. I wager that many of these so called Purebloods have their share of alien blood," Sumiko elaborated. Her tone resembled that of a professor lecturing a student. This was the sort of thing every Dark Adept was supposed to know! Or maybe the Atrisian liked to show off.

Vaylin's surprise about her insights did not go unnoticed. The Sith Lady smiled at her. It was a bit like a crocodile smiling. "Your emotions are like an open book to me, dear." Of course, there was probably a lot Sumiko was not able to perceive. Certainly not without a more detailed mind scan that would probably be detected. However, there was no need to tell the girl that.

"You heart burns with rage against these hypocrites, and rightly so. Keep that hatred you feel close to you. Pain and anger empower you, if you can control them. Jedi have a poor track record when it comes to commitment, don't they? Same with loyalty...even to their own students. Dxun is a moon of manifold dangers. Few are strong enough to survive on it, especially unaided," she remarked. Was that a compliment? Well, it was the truth.

But your abandonment was also a blessing, dear, though you cannot see that yet, she thought to herself. "Tell me, dear, what do you know of the Dark Side of the Force?" Her tone, though haughty, remained conversational.

Vaylin's head quirked to the side slightly, listening to what Sumiko had to say rather intently, very much the student listening to a lecture. Even if the way she spoke reminded the young Zabrak of her past, of both the Jedi and her mother. The first she recalled as always being a boring prattle, instilling the notion of purity and peace. And the other so overzealous to a point of neglect. Pushing for her children to 'continue the name' and to 'be true Zabrak'. Vaylin only cherished those years simply for the fact it had strengthened her and was invaluable to her survival on Dxun.

But this was different, it was something she was interested in so Vaylin listened.

"Then they're hypocrites. If they insist on rattling on about their blood purity while it is false. Though I guess they'd have to latch onto their past if they have nothing else going for them - other than hiding from the galaxy."

There was something about how Sumiko smiled at her. She had fought against packs of beasts, and yet Vaylin felt the urge to step back - to further increase the short distance that was between them. But she didn't, she remained where she stood. Vaylin couldn't help but feel the Atrisian standing was far beyond the danger of anything she fought in the past.

Her thoughts drifted off, pondering the question the woman had presented her. She had been asked some similiar not too long ago, and Vaylin knew nothing had changed since then.

What was the Dark Side to her? Was it a friend or a companion? A tool perhaps? Was it none of those, or a mix of everything?

Vaylin was still unsure, beyond what she felt in her gut.

"To me? The Dark Side was simply there. When everything else abandoned me, when the Light was gone. It was the warmth on those cold nights. The thing that wouldn't let me just slip into eternity, to keep me pushing against those that would try and crush me. And now, it's something I won't ever part with, as it never abandoned me."

[member="Vaylin"]

If Sumiko had not been nabbed by the Atrisian Inquisition at a young age, maybe she would have become a moderately pompous history professor. The Jedi variant of her would have probably been something like [member="Phylis Alince"]!

In any case, the Sith Lady seemed pleased by Vaylin's response. In addition to having a slightly unnerving smile, she suddenly burst into laughter. It was not a stereotypical supervillain's cackle, though still a bit disconcerting. She seemed genuinely amused. "Very true, my dear. Admittedly some of them have decided to finally 'return from the shadows' and do something productive after hiding for ages, but they're deluding themselves if they believe their precious blood makes them superior. The Force cares not," she spoke.

"The Dark Side is here and everywhere. It permeates the air around us - because life is conflict and struggle. We are tested through adversity and grow stronger as a result. It embraced you when you were alone, abandoned by the Jedi, and gave you strength because you chose to help yourself. In their ignorance, the Jedi would say it is the quicker, easier path, when in fact it separates the wheat from the chaff. It does not yield its secrets easily, but pushes you to rise above the mundanes and remove any obstacles in your path. It is the best teacher and companion." Social Darwinism at its finest. Where have I heard your name again? Ah, yes, Vaylin, daughter of Valkorion. She was a ferocious beast. Pity she was an insane girl-child and wasted her potential on tantrums. If Valkorion had been smart, he would've found a way to control her without turning her into a lunatic. Typical manling, she thought. So much sneering condescension.

She seemed to consider matters for a moment, scrutinising the Zabrak, while petting Akuma a bit. She did not expect that young woman had told her the whole story. For all she knew, she might have other masters. But that was fine. She could be useful to her. "I have a proposal for you, dear. There is an ancient tomb I wish to explore. Certain items are of interest to me. I expect manifold dangers on the way. If you aid me, I shall reward you well."

Vaylin raised an eyebrow at Sumiko's laughter, wondering what was so funny about what she had said. That, and the Atrisian was once again making Vaylin feel tense, maybe even slightly unnerved. She hated that, the fact this woman was capable of getting under her skin. But even Vaylin had to admit that she was out of her element, this was not a fight against some beast. Even the encounter hadn't turned violent from the onset, like others before it.

It was surprisingly pleasant to the Zabrak, not to be automatically at someone's throat. Even if that bestial urge to attack still lingered within.

I suppose you can't take the jungle out of the person that quickly.

She listened to what Sumiko had to say about the Dark Side. Vaylin ultimately agreed with it all. She remembered the first few months of her isolation on Dxun. How she felt practically ill with the darkness that swarmed around her, no matter where she had ran in the jungles. It hadn't been until she had unshackled herself from the last dredges of the light, that she allowed herself a chance to survive.

Vaylin's eyes practically lit up as Sumiko's proposal. The corner of lips twitched into a grin. "You had me at dangers." She had come to explore, but she wasn't going to miss a chance to potentially fight whatever beasts lurked on this planet. So she took a step, indicating her acceptance of the offer. Vaylin walked up to Sumiko, though kept a respectable distance and wait for the Atrisian to lead the way.

[member="Vaylin"]

Sumiko was apparently good at being creepy while acting...nice. Well, sort of nice. "Good. I'm sure there'll be plenty of that. Come with me, girl," she spoke and turned. Akuma fell in line and trotted along, though he kept close to Vaylin, perhaps to watch her. As he passed her, the Atrisian tiger sniffed her hand. Maybe he recognised a fellow predator, a creature of the jungle.

Speaking of beasts, naturally the path of our two darkside ladies and the pet tiger could not be unimpeded. The best way for this kind of people to bond was through violence. And so, inevitably, there was opposition. First, there was noise, a flare of danger through the Force, then loud screeching when suddenly several large spiders burst forth from the bushwork. The creatures were huge and marked by the taint of the Dark Side, for they had been altered through foul sorcery, strengthening their chitin exoskeletons.

Akuma charged one of them to engage, eager to sink his teeth into the beast. Sumiko gathered the Force inside her, preparing for battle, but she wanted to see how Vaylin handled herself first.

As they walked Vaylin kept her attention on Akuma both to ensure the beast wasn't about to do something, but also out of a sense of curiosity. Now that she was up close to him, she could get a better impression of how the tiger felt. Her connection with animals had resulted in her sensing Akuma before she had ever laid eyes on him, and even then it was easy to pick up on the fact he wasn't entirely natural. Now she was getting a better idea of what he exactly was. Somewhat like the beasts on Dxun, twisted and corrupted by the dark side. Yet, Akuma's went much deeper - had a more physical corruption than she had ever seen before. When he had passed by, taking the moment to sniff her hand, Vaylin was tempted to touch the tiger. She stopped herself however, and let Akuma move on ahead.

Vaylin's senses had picked up a mass of intelligible presences approaching, moments before the flare of danger ignited.

She was much like Akuma, and had immediately charging towards the enemy - and instinctual act. Though her experience on Sarnus had drilled in the lesson to not let her bloodlust blind her. So she used the distance to analyze the creatures.

They're arachnids, so they're bound to be like any of their kind and rely on trying to pin their prey down to deal any significant blow. Their presence also feels off, much like Tanaka's tiger.

Vaylin had picked up on the fact the creature's chitin looked a lot more tougher than they usually were. Noting that their weakness was likely the underside and their face, potentially the limbs too.

As she got close enough to one, Vaylin suddenly fell onto her side and slid the rest of the way. The spider lurched up ready to pin her, but Vaylin's lightsaber snapped to her hand and with a quick flick sent the red blade slicing up through its stomach. Once she had skidded past it, Vaylin jumped to her feet only to be immediately beset by another. It was reared up onto its back legs, attempting to jab and spear with its two front ones. Vaylin was however weaving around them, trying to get a good look at any weak points in the limbs.

Looks to be less armored underneath the joints.

She kept stepping backwards, forcing the spider to use its forward momentum to keep up with her. Until it eventually had to fall fowards back onto all of its legs. Vaylin used that moment to slash with her blade, taking one of the front legs out. The creature hissed in pain, which only continued as she took out the other before finally plunging it straight into the arachnid's face.

[member="Vaylin"]

Though they were being assaulted by vicious arachnids, Sumiko took the time to observe and analyse Vaylin's actions. The girl was like a predator. Much like Akuma, she threw herself into battle. It seemed to be instinctual. Doubtless she'd survived alone on Dxun because she'd become like the beasts that would have made her their prey otherwise. However, like every predator that stalked the wilderness, she was not a mindless berserker.

Instead, she was cognisant of the spiders' weak spots and used them to her advantage, rather than hewing the creatures down until they stopped moving. There was a certain beauty to her manoeuvres. Of course, Sumiko had to cut her observations short because she was inevitably attacked. A spider came at her, intent on seizing the tasty looking human and pulling her into a mouth full of sharp teeth that dripped with venom.

Rather than try to evade, Sumiko pulled the Force into her muscles and leapt into the air. Propelling herself above the creature, she pivoted in mid-air and landed upon the back of the beast. It screeched and tried to throw her off, but she buried the sharp point of Souldrinker into its head, spilling blood and brain matter.

Rolling off the beast, she could see out of the corner of her eye that Akuma had managed to knock an arachnid on its back and was now, despite the spider's frenzied thrashing, mauling its very exposed, vulnerable stomach with its teeth.

In the same moment, one of the beasts sprayed a web at her, catching her off-guard and forcing her to the ground. The sticky threads were tough and she could not break them. The beast charged forward, but Sumiko retained her wits.

Instead of trying to escape the web, unleash lightning or even draw her blade, she smiled coldly. Ethereal, invisible tendrils reached into the creature's mind and bent it to her will. The spider screeched as it tried to fight against the alien influence.

There was fear, anguish and finally obedience. "Yield to me, beast. Obey your mistress," Sumiko hissed, sounding like a snake. The giant spider screeched aloud, then finally yielded. Its aura radiated submission. "Good pet," Sumiko broke through the sticky web. "Now go feast on your fellows." Though its instincts rebelled against the command, the arachnid obeyed like a good puppet.

Vaylin let out a satisified growl as she pulled her lightsaber from the beast's face, allowing for it's now dead body to crumble into a heap. She could feel the blood pumping through her veins, the Dark Side churning around within. It all reminded her of Dxun, during that period of time when bit of fear for the jungle's monsters had evaporated and she had begun to enjoy the hunt - the rush of conflict.

Her hearing picked up the sound of something, and turned to see Sumiko being hit by one of the arachnid's webbing. Akuma seemed to have noticed too, as the tiger's attention had shifted in reaction, just as another of the creatures was charging towards him. Vaylin knew Akuma was likely capable of realizing the incoming threat, but her next move was based solely of instinctual action.

Vaylin ran towards Akuma, long strides making short work of the distance between them. As she got near, she used the tiger as a sort of springboard, placing her hand down against his back and pushed herself over and up. The large spider had made a leap towards Akuma in the process, but Vaylin had intercepted and plunged her lightsaber through its underbelly. Her weight crashing against it sent the two tumbling to the ground. Vaylin on the other hand quickly rolled away as the beast thrashed around in its dying breath.

It was then that another of the arachnid's began screeching. Vaylin turned to look in the direction to see the creature writhering on the ground, trying to fight back against some unseen force. She looked over at Sumiko as the woman hissed an order. The Zabrak frowned, wondering what she had done. It reminded her of the few occasions when she had been able to 'take control' of some of the Dxun beasts, but whatever the Atrisian had done was something much more than just that.

With the newly controlled occupying the rest of its kin, Vaylin moved over to Sumiko, curiosity at the forefront of her mind. "What was that exactly? It looked like you dominated the arachnid's mind?"

[member="Vaylin"]

Sumiko registered with an air of annoyance that some of the sticky web stuff was still clinging to her robes. That was most distasteful. Regardless, she was out of the web and busied herself brushing off strands. Sure, the robes would get dirty anyway since she was in a forest and would probably end up in a dusty, old tomb filled with cobwebs, skeletons and monsters, but they were still nice robes.

Still, she gave Vaylin an evidently smug look. Sumiko was good at that. "And bent it to my will. The Force can have that effect on the beasts and the weak-minded. These creatures has been touched by the Dark Side. Altered by Sith sorcery, I wager. It makes them more susceptible to those who command the darkness. They just need to comprehend their place in things. A nudge, if you will, to rid them of errant thoughts," she smirked.

"Hm, I see..." Vaylin's response drifted off as she was occupied with her thoughts, her eyes lingering between Sumiko and towards the now mind controlled arachnid.

She had been correct in her assumption that it was something beyond what she knew, or had previously witnessed. Every beast she had 'bonded' with on Dxun had always been a rather tentative relationship. Prime example being the pair of maalraas she had at her side for the majority of those years. The first of which eventually tried to maul her one day, because of a moment slip up on the Zabrak's part. That and those moments of kinship were a lot more subtle, and what Sumiko had done was the furthest thing from it.

The mention of 'Sith Sorcery' also lingered in Vaylin's mind. She had known the creatures had been touched by the Dark Side, that much was obvious. But she could also sense they had been twisted by something more, furthering their descent - making them stronger.

Vaylin watched as the arachnid fought its kin, the last that had attacked them earlier. It was oddly fascinating to watch the fight, even if was nature's call for any beast and something Vaylin had witnessed countless times. Though the mind controlled one was not fighting for survival, but rather because it was ordered too, with an increased ferocity behind its strikes.

Eventually both fell, the attack being taken down and the other succumbing to its wounds shortly after.

"Well, that was entertaining." And it had been, Vaylin's tone was evident about the fact, thought with a bit of disappointment, mainly because it was already over. But it was clear in the Zabrak's eyes that she was eager to press on, to see what other creatures they'd encounter.

[member="Vaylin"]

"Thus ends round one. Doubtless future trials will be more of a challenge to sate your hunger," Sumiko remarked very dryly. "Akuma," she hissed, gaining the attention of her faithful tiger. Quickly, the mutated feline trotted back to her side. Blood and spider flesh coated his large, sharp teeth. Feeling pleased with his performance, she petted him like a favourite pet.

She spared the arachnids a further glance. Pity she could not spare the time them, for they had to press on and so she moved further into the forest, beckoning Vaylin to follow her. The deeper they went into the forest, the sicker and more silent their surroundings became.

Sunlight now rarely pierced the large trees, mud covered the ground, and the plants began to look sickly, as if blighted. Darkness swirled around them, growing stronger and more insidious with each step. Insidious voices would whisper into their ears, seeking to sneak anger, anxiety and paranoia into everyone's minds. They would be accompanied by visions, should the Dark Side's influence bear fruit.

Perhaps Vaylin would receive flashbacks to her time on the accursed Demon Moon, where she'd been forced to fend for herself among predators and become stronger because of it. Or maybe perceive the ethereal shape of one of the Jedi who'd abandoned her to the wilderness of Dxun, chastising her for having embraced the dark path and turned her back on the Light.

Vaylin inhaled deeply as their surroundings shifted. The bright, sunny day gradually disappearing, becoming veiled beneath the dark canopies above. It was clear they were heading closer towards the heart of this forest, the source of the corruption that had spread across this area. To Vaylin, the atmosphere reminded her of Dxun, though with the lack of the constant storms.

And yet, there was something else. Far worse than what she had ever experienced on the Demon Moon.

The darkness encroached on her, around her, through her. It was everywhere, there was not a single physical barrier that could stop it from flowing.

Vaylin felt her blood grow cold, skin becoming clammy as the onset of fear began to creep its way into the Zabrak's mind.

Every other step she took, a wispy breath tickled past her ear, whispering something into it. Accompanied by a ghostly brush of the shoulder against her own.

She tried to push beyond it, continue walking. But as she did, her senses were bombarded and overloaded.

Visions of her time on Dxun appeared before her eyes, a reminder of the first year being isolated there. The younger, pathetic version of her that almost killed herself out of fear. Allowing the beasts to hunt and torment her every day.

Vaylin's ears heard the voices, those of the Jedi that she once knew but had forever forsaken. The chiding tone, scolding remarks against her person. A betrayer to the Light, to the Code. That she had taken the easier path, failed her duties to everyone she knew.

No. My duty is to myself.

It continued to try and bury her, force the Zabrak to heel to its presense. Vaylin gritted her teeth, trying to push back against it. But as the visions and voices refused to relent, her anger intensified until it reached a breaking point that it snapped her back to reality.

"Enough!" Vaylin yelled out to nothing, instinctively swinging around, calling her lightsaber to hand and slashing out with it. To no real effect, other than cutting a large gash into the nearby tree.

She was breathing deeply, just staring at the now damaged bark. The anger had cleared her mind, and in that moment she realized what this part of the forest reminded her of.

That tomb. The one that was the source of the Dark Side on Dxun. Though Vaylin couldn't quite recall who exactly had been buried within it.

[member="Vaylin"]

Meanwhile, Sumiko was being affected by visions of her own. Only hers were different, for she was not teleported into the jungles of Dxun. Instead, her prison was the abandoned Citadel of the Inquisition on Atrisia. Dimly lit corridors, prison cells where young acolytes were broken in until they accepted their place in things and submitted to the Inquisition, harsh, merciless training under the watchful eye of the sadistic Grand Inquisitor.

Abuse, indoctrination, torture. She sought to push the images out and continue walking, but her senses were bombarded and overloaded. Days when she'd been weak and afraid. The images shifted, and she found herself in a cell. Now she was strapped to a chair. Try as she might, she could not break her bonds or use the Force.

"You are mere shades of the past. I do not fear spectres," she hissed irritably, getting increasingly angry. It had been a young, weak her who submitted to them and accepted their indoctrination, the belief that as a Force-user she was a dangerous weapon that needed to be collared and leashed and dedicate her entire life to serve the Empire. She had killed that scared little girl.

"You will know your place, girl. You are a dangerous weapon and must be controlled. I've looked into your mind and know your fears," Grand Inquisitor Lai spoke in that mocking, cruel voice. "Be sure all your sins will find you out," he produced a cage full of enormous, squirming, angry looking rats and placed it near Sumiko. The Atrisian, suddenly pulled back into her younger self, flinched. Her heartbeat began to race.

"You're not real. You're a figment of my imagination. You are all dead, betrayed by an ungrateful empire and murdered in Archangel's death camps," Sumiko hissed angrily, breathing intensifying.

"It is you who is delusional, but you'll learn the error in your ways. I'm afraid they're very hungry." An Inquisitor lit a fire on the other end of the cage, Lai pressed a lever, the door to the cage opened and the the terrified, starving rats began to assault her face, biting and scratching wildly. They sunk their teeth into her flesh, tearing into it.

No, none of this ws real. The first lesson any sorceress learned was to separate truth from illusion. This was her mind. As the pain became unbearable, as she was assaulted by images of torture and humiliation while the rats sought to devour her face, she pushed back with her mind.

She tore through the illusionary constructs, deconstructing them. Her bonds broke and she stood, free. "This is my mind alone. I am my own mistress - no one else," she hissed through gritted teeth. Scalding lightning shrieked from her fingertips towards the illusionary Lai...and as he fell she found herself back in the jungle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom