Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private An Allegiance Born of Duty

Martin Dux

M
The young man shuffled impatiently where he stood. he'd been waiting for his relief for over an hour, then he'd be able to go to the barracks and get some much-needed rest. He sighed heavily, leaning against the wall of the large governmental building. A building that just so happened to house Rex Valhoun himself. Frankly, the building didn't have the security it needed, just three exterior guards and ten interior ones. There was the west entrance guard, where there were two, it was the larger entrance. then there was the east entrance, his entrance. Compared to the west, where he was stationed was definitely the back door. It made his skin crawl, not to say that Halbarrow had ever been a particularly dangerous planet but you never knew.

He rolled his head around, shaking a bit, yawning. It was getting late, later than he wanted it to get. "Come on, what's taking so long."

He coughed into his hands, placing his blaster rifle down. He adjusted his rough gloves, checking to make sure his armor was ready for anything. Just then, walking towards him was a shadowy figure, cloaked with a face barely visible. Hastily, he grabbed up his rifle and tried to look as intimidating as possible. The figure stopped, standing a mere seven feet from him. "Citizen, state your business. If you'd like to report a crime then go to the militance office, it's down the way there." He pointed to the medium-sized building, its top barely visible.

The figure stepped closer, The guard could now get a better picture of his face. He was old, maybe in his late forties or mid-fifties. "I'm here to see the heir." He said, in a mild rough voice. It was the sound of the calm forest clashing against the harsh rush of the gutter. If he'd been younger, the man would've sounded like a lullaby.

The guard shuffled uncomfortably again, less out antsy and more anxious now. "Prince Valhoun?" He looked to the door, then back to the cloaked man, examining him. The old man studied with equal precision, but there was something else, something more in his gaze. "Um, do you have an appointment? If you do, then you should try the west side, that's where the main entrance is anyway. They'll sort you out."

"The main entrance?" he questioned.

"Yes, the one everyone uses." the young guard began to feel even more anxious.

"Yet I am here." The old man stated.

"Um," The guard looked side to side, wishing desperately for his relief to arrive, "Sir, is something wrong?"

he shook his head. "No."

"Well then, um, off you go." He gestured with the blaster.

The man didn't move, he didn't even budge. "What if I want to use this entrance?" he asked, there was no malice or ill-intent in his voice. It was asked out of genuine curiosity.

"Well, you're not supposed to-"

"I prefer this entrance." He cut the young guard off.

The young man straightened his back as much as possible. "Sir, I truly must insist on using-"

"This entrance will be fine." He waved a hand in front of the young guard's face, his index and middle finger slightly more aloof than the others.

The guard shook his head, blinking rapidly. "I- of course, this entrance-" He felt confused, very confused, "Yes, go on ahead." he stepped aside to let the cloaked man pass.

With that, Martin entered the building.

Second King of The Elysium Empire

Rex was watching the local news when his comms device began ringing. He quickly got up, wondering who could be calling him so late in the day. "This is Rex, what do you need?"

"Sir, I'm sorry but you have a visitor. He insisted that I let him in...so I did. I don't know what I was thinking..."

"Right...alright I'll be down to meet him in a moment. Make sure security is present."

He didn't like this situation. Nearly night, and he had an unexpected visitor. And the guards just let him in? It was very strange. The heir thought over the possibilities as he changed into a more suitable attire...and a more secure one, with a protective vest and blaster holster. Perhaps the guest was here to see Loreena? But she wasn't on planet right now...she was dealing with the destruction of MandalArms. Maybe he had Rex confused with Heath? Rex was just the heir, not the king...not just yet. Only time would tell.

Dressed, he ran a hand through his hair, making sure there were no cow licks.
Good enough. With that done, he made his way down the hall to meet the mysterious "guest"...

Martin Dux

M
With each step Martin took, walking down the long corridor, the calling grew greater. The low power lights covered Martin with something similar to the mystique of a Jedi of old. But he was no Jedi, and he knew exactly the kind of person he'd be training. Making it to a large metal door at the end of the corridor, he placed his hand to it, feeling a presence. There were two, three maybe. Slowly, he paced a robed arm to his side, gripping the edge of the cloak lightly. Just in case.

With a small wave of his hand, the door slid open, revealing a heavily lighted room and three guards like the one outside. Their attention turned to him, but there was no hostility. Resting his blaster on his shoulder, one gestured to a table with two chairs across from one another.

"Prince Valhoun will be with you shortly." The guard said.

Martin eyed each guard, curiously. His hand moved from the edge of his cloak. Maintaining a gaze on the troopers, Martin waked to the table. He sat down, cautiously. It made sense that they'd be aware of him, his little trick only lasted for a few moments.

One of the guards coughed into his hand, getting Martin's attention. "So, my lord, what brings you to the capital? Besides business, of course."

He was young, like the one outside. Energetic in a way. "I don't quite know myself." Martin said, more to himself than the trooper.

He supposed, he was about to find out.

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

At last, he found his way to the common room, though apparently the visitor was not there yet. Rex took this time to look around, checking for any exit points, and looking to make sure the guards were here. Sure enough there were four on the balcony above, and two on the bottom level. The other four interior guards were likely still near the visitor, or they were at their posts to ensure there was no surprise attack.

Rex didn't expect that there would be, but that would be the whole point of one, wouldn't it? A
surprise attack. But he wouldn't give in to his fears and allow them to become paranoia. He had to assume this visitor was here to talk, and nothing more. He also needed to have patience. He knew he was overthinking, and overthinking would lead to stupid mistakes and assumptions.

Still, something felt off. Not even in a bad way, just different, like something important was going to happen in the next few minutes.

The heir took a seat on the couch, positioning himself so he was comfortable, but also so his blaster was easily accessible.

Now, he would wait.

Martin Dux

M
After a few short minutes of waiting and Martin meditating, he heard the sharp, clear voice of another guard.

"Prince Valhoun is ready." he stated.

Martin rose from the seat and followed the guard. Looking around, into each one of their faces, he could see the obvious confusion. What was going on? Who is this? Why is everyone so... nonchalant about this?

Martin wouldn't blame them for thinking this was some illegal dealing. Some of the guards wouldn't put it past Rex. He hated to disappoint them, but this was no drug deal or the sort. Although, he'd been told in the past that meeting force sensitives can be five times as exciting as any trip.

Martin almost felt stupid for coming here, why did he? The force, Martin, that's why, he told himself.

He shook his head. This was ignorant, he'd trekked halfway across the galaxy, to some shard of the empire because of that calling. It was a calling, it was the only way he could describe it. The tiny voice in the back of his mind.

Martin, It's time to choose a new apprentice.

But then, he remembered that voice, how soothing it was. Then he remembered when he answered it the first time, those years ago, how he felt. he knew why he was here.

"Right through here, sir." The guard gestured to the door into the common room.

The door slid open and there he was, the heir. Martin walked forward, taking the seat across from him. The second thing that happened was reflex, he tried sinking deeper into his robe. No Martin, not this time.

Grabbing the inner edges of the robe, he nudged it off, laying across the back of the chair.

"Hello there, Prince Valhoun. It's good to finally meet you." he then proceeded to give the best poker face in the entire galaxy.

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

"Hello there, Prince Valhoun. It's good to finally meet you."

"Pleased to meet you, Mr....?" Rex hopped to his feet and extended his hand. However as he did so, he was examining the man. Of course Rex wasn't anything like Admiral Keatoch, no, not at all. He couldn't read people nearly as well, nor could he assess a situation as quickly and efficiently. But still, he was trying to figure the man out.

The first thing he noted was the man's age. He was much older than Rex himself, and was certainly more experienced in, probably everything, than the young heir. The second thing he noticed was the man dressed in very dark colors, similar to the night troopers. Apart from army soldiers and emo kids, Rex had only heard of The Sith dressing in such a way. Was this man a Sith? His eyes didn't glow. Rumors always said Sith had orange eyes. Rex simply didn't know enough. He'd have to ask his questions and hope the man would be truthful.

But then Rex took a glance to see if the man was armed. That's when he saw it.

A lightsaber.

No, don't assume. If he wanted me dead, he's had plenty of opportunities.... Rex repeated the words in his head, calming himself down. It was difficult to be calm when standing face to face with a force-wielder. The rumors about them were legendary, and while Rex had met several Jedi, he was yet to meet a Sith. Of course it didn't help that The Empire was basically at war with any organized Sith nations. If they weren't, then Rex would be much more comfortable....

Martin Dux

M
Rising to his feet, he took the younger man's hand, shaking it. "Dux, Mr. Dux." he gave an earnest smile, completely altering his rather cold demeanor.

He noticed the Prince's slight gaze on the saber, or rather, he sensed it. Martin loved when people noticed, it was his pride. He was a duelist, after all.

In that split second, that brief exchange, Martin determined more about the man than he ever could from the holo-net. One thing was for certain, he wasn't his father, the articles he'd read through on his way here hadn't lied about that part. There was something more though, something beyond the fancy clothing, troopers, and imperial towers. There was a certain... darkness. A darkness that could be cultivated, if taught how. Martin was past teaching how to control the Darkside for use in the light. What he taught Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun would be up to Rex Valhoun to use, his path was his own. Besides, Martin was old, another unruly apprentice would surely kill him. But still, this one seemed the type to listen.

For the Prince, though, a test was in order.

After the handshake and a few moments of considerate staring, Martin gently unclipped the lightsaber from his belt. He twirled it in his hand as he brought it up, a force of habit, really. He gave a slight smile to the young heir, extending the lightsaber out to him.

"Please, take it. Besides, I'm a guest in your home. Coming here armed was a mistake unto itself." He remarked. One with a little lightening of his eyes, Martin said, "One thing to note, if you're not familiar with these things, It's pressure activated. Just- Tighten your grip on the thing."

He gave one more earnest smile.

When Mr. Dux's hand went for the saber, Rex instinctively made a move for his blaster, even drawing it half way out of the holster with wide eyes and a pounding heart. But when Mr. Dux started talking, and the blade didn't ignite, he quickly holstered it again. "Sorry...instinct..." He felt like a complete idiot, though in reality it probably showed off his awareness and draw speed.

With the fear gone, he had time to take in what Dux had said. The man was giving the saber to him? Rex couldn't resist though...he had never seen a saber ignite, and certainly hadn't held one. He reached out, gently taking it from Dux, making sure to be aware of which side the blade would ignite from. He held it up, examining it for a moment. It was certainly an elegant weapon...shiny, lightweight...it felt like real effort went into the weapon. No. The tool. He had heard that somewhere before. A lightsaber was more than a weapon, it was a tool that could do many things.

Having examined the hilt for a moment, Rex took a few steps away from Mr. Dux, then extended his arm, and squeezed. Sure enough a snap hiss was followed instantly by a white beam emitting from the hilt. It made Rex flinch, but he didn't fumble the blade, thankfully. He stared at the snowy-white blade, feeling the heat emit off it and hit his face. One thing that he immediately picked up on was the weight of the blade. He expected, for some reason, for the blade to weigh more when ignited. However this was not the case. It weighed no more than it had a moment ago.

He rotated the blade a little in each direction, causing it to make a very unique and distinctive whirring sound. With a general idea of how the blade felt, he decided to spin it. He had experience in wielding sticks from his time in the wilderness, and he had learnt to spin them for fun...he grinned, remembering those days. Things were simpler, but they were so much different now. He'd never have to spin sticks for fun. Or at least he wouldn't think so, yet here he was spinning a white, glowing stick of plasma in front of his face.

He did the motion a few times. It was easier with heavier, longer objects than this hilt, and he found that he had scorched the floor...apparently he spun it a little too close.

Having satisfied his curiosity, he loosened his grip on the hilt, and the saber deactivated. He spun the deactivated hilt so the front was facing him, and extended his arm, handing it back to Mr. Dux.

"That is quite the tool, it's very impressive. I've never held one before. In fact that's the first time I have seen one activated. I appreciate you letting me try it out....I'll have to purchase one for myself."

Martin Dux

M
Martin nodded along as the heir swung the plasma-bladed weapon. He twirled it with a certain familiarity that the old man couldn't quite pinpoint. he had a little bit of skill though, even if he didn't know it. Martin wasn't the only one surprised. The guards that were present relaxed, looking at the cold-colored blade of the lightsaber. They held their blaster rifles with one hand, or on the shoulder. It appeared that the heir wasn't the only one who'd never seen one of these things.

It amused Martin, to see how Rex used the thing. He was taking it in, every part of it, every sound. He didn't look the type for war but he certainly appeared ready for it. Martin remembered reading about the heir's appearance, how sudden it was. Some suspected foul play, others were quite accepting. Some of the more fruity ones claimed Rex was a clone, meant to carry on the king's vision. Martin thought there was more to it than that. There often was.

"That is quite the tool, it's very impressive. I've never held one before. In fact that's the first time I have seen one activated. I appreciate you letting me try it out....I'll have to purchase one for myself."

Looking to the corner of the room, Martin noticed a strange-looking machine. It was one of those automatic tea dispensers, a brand he couldn't remember, next to it was a small grouping of cups. With a stride, Martin made his way to it, taking two cups from the group.

"You like the thing? They're amazing things, they are. A civilized weapon, for an uncivilized age, or at least I think that's how the saying goes." Placing one of the cups underneath the dispenser, he pressed the button that activated it.

"They can cut through anything, blast doors, trees, rocks... people," he said that last part with a bit of regret. "The only things I know that can resist them is beskar, phrik, and cortosis. Mind the cortosis, though, it might be brittle but if a lightsaber touches it the whole thing'll deactivate for a few minutes." Moving the cup to the side, he placed the next one under the dispenser.

"Of course, you could buy one. A man of your resources, you could have one fetched within a week or so. How much were they on the black market again? ten, twenty-thousand credits I think? But yes, you could acquire one quite easily." When the next cup was full, Martin took the two cups in hand.

Walking back to the table, he sat down, placing one of the cups on Rex's side. he sipped from his cup, tentatively. "Although... you could always build yourself."

Last edited by a moderator:

A civilized Weapon for an uncivilized age. Rex liked the quote. Of course, had there ever truly been a civilized age? Maybe in the days of The Grand Republic, though that was just an illusion. Behind the scenes, corruption was rampant. So much in fact that it led to a civil war. Then The Empire happened. They could have set things straight if they had the time, and a proper leader. Palpaltine was a Sith that ruled with an iron fist. That didn't work out so well. By the time a proper leader, like Thrawn, or Rex's favorite, Pellaeon, took over...well it was just too late. In each of these eras, there was no real civilization. Of course they made the modern world look like a sick joke, it seemed like every few months a "super power" would collapse, leaving lawless chaos in its' place.

"Although... you could always build yourself."

He did not know why, but this idea really stuck to him. He instantly wanted to build his own, and it sounded like the man was going to teach him how.

"Make my own, huh? Yeah...I like the sound of that. I assume you'll show me how, given how you proposed the idea?"

Martin Dux

M
Martin tipped the cup in the Prince's direction. "Right you are." he drank deeply from the cup.

Placing the cup onto the table, Martin unclipped his saber again. As he spun the hilt in hand, he raised it to his face. Then something happened, something unexpected. The guards jolted in shock as the hilt began to levitate in the air, Martin's hand leaving it as he put it on the table. It shifted only slightly like it was being hed by a string. Martin only sat there, occasionally looking to the hilt. He could do this with his eyes closed. He might not have been the strongest in the force but when objects were close to him, he had an overwhelmingly strong effect on them. As he floated there for a few moments, it suddenly began to come apart, like it was designed to do so. It was like an automated machine building something, only in reverse.

When finally all the pieces had separated from one another, in the center, was a bright shining white crystal with smaller white crystal around it, attached to it. The pieces slowly fell to the table, in uniform position.

"Now, you see that thing there?" Martin pointed to the kyber crystal. "That is the source of the lightsaber's power. Without one, a saber is nothing more than a fancy hilt."

He began pointing to the other pieces. "That is an emitter, where the blade comes from. It needs to be connected to that-" he gave a detailed instruction of how the thing worked, more detailed than most want actually. Finally, he said,

"Now, I want you to reconstruct it." He said. It was a rather polite statement, but anyone could see that it was an order.

He smiled again, pessimistically so. "If you can do it, I'll help you build your own, among other things."

In the old man's gaze, it was obvious, he sent a message with his very eyes. You know why I'm here, you know what my kin do, you know what this... test means.

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

Rex watched, paying close attention to the man's actions and words. But then his heart nearly exploded as the man told him to rebuild the saber. He didn't have a photo memory, and something so complicated needed practice to memorize. How was he supposed to pass this!? If he were to fail...well, he knew what it meant. This man's intent was clear and Rex was about to blow everything...

But he would give it his best shot. He remembered the basics well enough. The Crystal in the middle, it powered the saber, and apparently made the saber's color as well. Then the lense...it focused that crystal's beam. But that was the easy and simple part. The rest of it was partially guesswork. After a moment he lifted the saber, which was constructed almost completely, except a plate. It felt right, and barring the plate, it looked like it was done correctly. Rex put the plate on it, and the extended his arm, pointing away from himself.

Taking a deep breath, he squeezed, and...

It ignited, though something sounded off. It wasn't a clean snap-hiss noise, and quickly Rex realized the hilt was getting very hot, very quickly.
"Ah!" He gasped, quickly loosening his grip to turn the saber off. Thankfully, that worked, and the blade returned to nothing. However the hilt was hot, and something smelled burnt...

Martin Dux

M
Martin nodded intently as he watched the young heir work, noting his struggle, his resolve, and his unique approach to the saber's structure.

With the snap-hiss and the white blade appearing, the old man smiled earnestly. The boy had done it. Then he dropped the hilt to the ground, the thing burning him. Well, the boy had done it for the most part. Martin huffed in amusement.

Slowly, he collected the hilt from the table, sniffing the air, smelling the faint burnt thing inside of it. Quickly, like the master he was, Martin took it apart, revealing the crystal housing. He hummed, finding the source of the smell. One of the durindfire crystals had cracked and was slowly disintegrating, Martin grabbed the small thing and plucked it from the cluster of crystals.

Nonchalantly, he chucked it behind him. "Well, not the result I was hoping for but better than nothing." He swiftly put the lightsaber back together.

He looked over his shoulder, then back to Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun . "Don't worry about the crystal, they've become relatively easy for me to replace."

He picked up the glass of tea, sipping it. "Now tell me, Rex, How did that feel? Aside from the burning, of course." He smiled at his little joke.

Rex gave a soft chuckle at the joke, more an exhale through his nose than anything, then replied "It was a relief. I was worried, because, despite listening...when it comes to building, I'm a slow learner. My wife Loreena Arenais-Valhoun Loreena Arenais-Valhoun is great at making little things. Traps, pranks, the like."

Rex doubted that relief was the answer the man wanted or expected, but it was the truth. He was relieved when it worked, and when Martin said it didn't matter that the crystal cracked, it was a huge breath of fresh air. He could be trained. That, of course, was why the man was here. Apparently.

Then Rex had an idea. Mentioning Lori made him remember that she had some of these powers...The Force. She could make a ball of light. Maybe he could ask the man to train her as well? Two Force users leading The Empire. It'd be safer, they would be safer. He resolved that he would float the idea. But later. For now it was up to Mr. Dux to decide what comes next.

Martin Dux

M
Martin smiled as he listened to the younger man, looking down at the table as he did. He seemed to trust Martin or at least tolerated him. That was good, Rex seemed like he would be a fresh start. The force knows Martin needed one.

"That's right, you are married aren't you?" He said, more as a statement than a question. He nodded to himself, remembering a time long past, a time were the old man would've had a chance for that. "That's good, and to Loreena Arenais nonetheless. I've read about her, she seems to be a concrete sort of woman."

Martin examined the lightsaber again, checking for any other damage the thing could have sustained. Remarkable, he thought. The only real damage the saber had was the crystal, everything else seemed completely fine. Well, the emitter had been misaligned, which was probably what caused the damage.

He looked up to Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun . "Prince Valhoun, you passed the trial. I, Martin Dux, humbly announce you, my apprentice. Of course, aside from teaching, I'm below you."

He clipped the saber to his belt. "I will teach all I can, when you show specialty, will focus on that. Eventually, you'll master the force, in your own way. It develops differently for everyone, I myself have used it to become a master of defense. But enough about all that, you look tired, and I can't say I'm not either."

Martin reached his hand out, ready to shake the heir's. "I look forward to working with you, son."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom