Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative Lightsaber Materials

I was wondering about alternative materials for lightsaber creation.

Specifically, I had the idea of making a crystal lightsaber hilt for a saberstaff. My full idea had the hilt being Kasha crystal with Solari focusing crystals for the blades, making it a supreme focusing item.

I am more than willing to do dev work, I just want to know if this is truly possible in the universe?

@Jo'lyn Vahr

Crystal isn't great on structural integrity. I'd say it's cool for a ceremonial weapon or something, but I doubt it would stand up to combat stress. That said, you could set a whole bunch of small kasha crystals in a metal hilt and get a similar effect. Remember, though, that a real kasha crystal is basically the size of a dinner plate, so I don't know about 'supreme.'

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

The size was why I was thinking of making it the whole hilt.

Thank you for the quick response, I was assuming this would be the case but wanted confirmation.

Thank you!

@Jo'lyn Vahr [member="Jorus Merrill"], I would like to add on to Jorus' response, and mention using multiple crystals in a lightsaber is difficult to create. Hence why most only have one or two crystals housed in the chamber.

Let me explain.

Imagine you have one person going out to eat. They chose whatever they want, and it goes.
Now two people are going out, they have to work together to find a common liking of food to eat to pick a place. Thus, it narrows down the possible places for you to go.
Now three people are going out. Thus, this continues to lower the possibilities even greater than before.

I am not even adding in the difficulties of different crystals such as using a Permafrost crystal, Windu's Gile, and some run of the mill synthetic crystal. Because they all have VERY different properties, and uses, it makes it that much harder for the crystals to be attuned and function for the same purpose.

If you have a lightsaber crystal attuned to you when you are a youngster, and a second one when you are attuned in your prime, and a third when you are way past your prime, You have three crystals that were attuned to "essentially" three different people. You act completely differently from when you are a child, as you are when you are an adult.

I am not saying that making a lightsaber with multiple crystals is impossible, I am saying its DIFFICULT. There has to be work put into the creation of the lightsaber to be worth it. A simple lightsaber, simple synthetic crystal not attuned to you is very easy, and honestly, doesn't need any sort of submission for it. However, if it uses a special crystal? Maybe. WHen you start tacking on crystals with many special properties to become something more than just a blade of plasma and a hilt, then you NEED to attune it to the character, and have character development around the item.

With you using three different crystals in the construction of the lightsaber, In the crystal chamber or not, you run into many different things that can cause the weapon to literally blow up in your hands. Mind you, Lightsabers are using enough power to superheat a gas to a plasma surrounded by an electromagnetic field. If you are even slightly off in your calculations,

Boom goes your hand.

Anyways, enough science and rambling for now. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them. And if you would like, I am sure if you ask someone to help you with the creation of said lightsaber, I know a few who would be more than willing to help.

[member="Atheus"]

Thank you! I had not thought about how having a third crystal in a saberstaff would affect everything. This doesn't daunt my desire, only makes for more opportunity to do development!

I'm going to do some more research, probably ask more questions, and develop Jo'Lyn some more before I make a decision. I'm not looking for uber powerful saber to end all sabers, more just want a really cool focus item that she can also use for lightsaber combat when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom