Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Reply All That Glitters

Fiolette Fortan

F
Denon.
Fiolette let the rush of chemicals fill her head, the ash hung loosely off the end of her cigarra. Mechanical music whirred about the club and the dense smoke of the lounge clouded her vision. The leather jacket on her body smelled of fuel from a stop not too far from the club. She brought the cigarra back to her lips the scars on her fingers ran muscle deep and spoke of a woman who had seen her share of battles. Strawberry blonde hair swept over one shoulder as her blue eyes took in the scope of the dimly lit club. The chemicals burned a high into her mind that she hadn't craved for since she left the First Order.
Still.
The taste of the cigarra could not compare to the sweet taste of her wife after hours of battle. The way their bodies connected was a different high altogether, she scoffed to herself. A high she seemed bent on chasing since she had been gifted a second chance at life. Fiolette took the hit from another drag before her eyes carefully watched the smoke waft into the air. Denon was a small stop on her way to Confederate territory, while her wife worked with their politicians she was going to take aim at their Shipwright Industry. Namely, she had a conference with John Locke and maybe one or two other important technological leaders. That, however; was still a ways, away for now she would take her time and enjoy the moment.
Fiolette sat alone in the back corner of the lounge, of a little club, known only as, "The Midnight."

The old barkeep got out far more often than some might assume. As the proprietor of his own establishment, Shenn enjoyed being the face of his little organization. He was a person that returning patrons recognized; a familiar smile that offered the memory of the comfort gained from visiting the Blue Flame. Or perhaps Shenn was the helping hand in connecting business partners, or long lost lovers and family members. Maybe he just liked the attention, being surrounded by a crowd of conversation, one that helped to drown out the decades of loneliness.

Whether his reasons were selfish or selfless, people who knew Shenn knew the man for being present at the Blue Flame. They didn't really know him for being someone who went out on the town. And yet, Shenn did frequently. He didn't attempt to mask his movements. There was no need to spend time incognito. Few people paid attention to an old man, save to pick his pocket. Those that might have recognized him probably thought the fossil so out of place outside of his natural habitat that the thought of Shenn being anywhere but at his bar would make him nigh unrecognizable, even to a friend's eye.

But getting out was important for the old man every now and then. Even an ever-changing atmosphere of a bar could grow stale. Shenn had yet a long life ahead of him, and while Blue Flame might be a casualty of his whimsy, the proprietor hoped to be inspired for his spot for years to come. So what better way to refresh his passion for his own establishment than to pay a visit to a few others. Size up the competition. Take inspiration. See new perspectives.

Those were the sentiments swirling behind the ever-pleasant countenance of the grey-bearded man as he stepped into The Midnight, a late-night club and lounge. This was definitely not Shenn's typical cup of tea. Sure, he owned a late-night spot too. But his spot was aimed at an older crowd, even a more professional one. The Midnight was all about the fun of the moment, living for the night and nothing further. How youthful to have so much future ahead of oneself and to react by only living in the present with no care for what tomorrow would bring. Shenn had never been to the Midnight before. But he'd seen it advertised as an up and coming late-night joint in the Seven Corners and that meant it was worth Shenn walking over and taking a look around.

Despite being out of place, he strode casually and without any self-consciousness for his presence. Few eyes turned to him. Youths danced about without a care, drinks sloshing in goblets and tall glasses as they swayed to and fro. Had the old man not already been smiling, he would have. To be young again, to not have a care in the galaxy as these people did. He did not regret his past. But sometimes, he wondered what his life would have been like had he not gone down the path he had chosen for himself. Shenn would content himself by living vicariously through the youngsters whose paths crossed his own.

As he followed the winding path through the crowd, one table caught his eye. Inhabited by a lone woman, she too seemed to stand out from the rest. Something about the woman tickled the back of the information broker's memory, but he couldn't quite place the thought. Only one way to tug at that strand, he thought, and he made for the table.

"May I join you, Miss... ?"

Fiolette Fortan

F
"Raaf, Fiolette Raaf," she introduced herself to the gentleman who now stood at her table. Fiolette turned her attention to the datapad that sat on the table's top. The news of Primo Victorian's move from Confederacy space was a surprise to her, but then her daughter made it clear. Fio's input was no longer required, so here she was, out in the galaxy wandering across the stars. The cigarra slowly burned away in the ashtray, embers flickered a bright and delicate orange as they faded into the bottom of the ashtray.
She eyed the man carefully before gesturing, "I will not object if you wish to sit here."
Her hand reached out for the cigarra while another picked up the datapad and set it closer toward her person. A notification popped up, a message from her wife Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf . Fio would answer it later, for now, she wanted to feel free and sitting her in the Midnight as the music pulsed throughout the club was about as free as she was going to get. The cigarra on her lips as she pulled down another drag, another chemical rush and aura of calm continued to wash over her. The club lights as vibrant as they were, still, clouded by the smoke in her corner. While most of the youth in the club would judge and wonder, Fio was unbothered. Besides, who was she to judge?

Shenn sat down as gracefully as an old, round man could. He kept the shirt under his jacket tucked down and made sure his belt remained in place. Just a few years ago he never would have thought about the manner in which he carried himself. Sitting down was a simple task. As he got older though, Shenn found that he had to think about a lot more about his mannerisms. The proprietor was a proper sort, and he wouldn't let himself appear slovenly even if he couldn't quite control his metabolism and, as a result, his waistline anymore.

"Thank you, kindly," Shenn said to Fiolette. The name, again, tickled at a memory. But his steel trap of a mind wasn't connecting the face or the name to whatever kernel of data was tucked away. Perhaps some conversation would pry his thoughts loose from their cage. Fiolette Raaf seemed distracted by her pad. But that did not bother Shenn in the least. His mind, too, moved in many paces at once. "This isn't usually my sort of establishment. Not that a younger crowd doesn't have a certain appeal from time to time. But they certainly don't hold quite as good of a conversation as a more experienced one. More concerned with creating the experiences that will someday reward them a venerable status. But I came on a whim. My usual spots aren't too far from here. Maybe I learn something interesting. Maybe I meet someone interesting. Nothing gained if nothing ventured."

Shenn gave a grin to the woman sitting across from him. His brain was going through the paces, trying to place the woman's face and name to some shred of information that the infochant had locked away.

"So what brings you to this corner of the galaxy?"

Fiolette Fortan

F
Fio politely bowed with respect as the man took his seat.
She drew on the cigarra, a breath, the embers burned bright orange and she felt the burn as the chemicals dispersed once more throughout her system. The Galidraani woman listened as the man spoke, she smiled softly as he spoke it all seemed quite genuine. The way he spoke and how he carried himself, she could appreciate that out of a person. An authenticity about him, as Fio's daughters might say. "These sorts of places, speakeasies, night clubs, parlors or bars - all seem to draw a diverse crowd, easy enough to get lost in. Easy... Easy to meet interesting people, have a casual conversation or two."
"Oh, just passing through," she replied matter-of-factly, "might I ask your name, and perhaps buy you a drink?"
It was the least she could do, well, to be both hospitable and polite - to offer a drink. Fiolette waved over a droid, and put in her order, Galidraani Scotch on the Rocks, she was surprised it was in stock this far out and at a place like this, nevertheless, she was pleased. Just as she was pleased by the vibrant music, the synthesizer and drum providing a rhythm to the evening as the youth flowed through the club like a ship through the stars. Effortlessly and with grace, beauty, and all the ugly that went in between.

Shenn nodded as the woman spoke. He watched as the cigarra burned as she took a drag, lighting with yellows and oranges and reds as Fiolette did.

"My name is Shenn Rosham. And I'd be honored." The serving droid came over and his company ordered first. "Chandrila Blue. '817 if you have it. Any other vintage is fine if you don't. Room temperature." As the droid left to fill their orders, the music hit a momentary swell. Shenn waited, allowing the music to replace the auditory space of their conversation before the sound decrescendoed back to a volume where talking didn't require raised voices. Cheers rose through the crowd of party-goers as if the swell had meant something. Shenn was definitely not up on the current musical styles. He will have to have his Ortolan friend Tel discuss them so he can at least seem knowledgeable on the subject.

The serving droid returned as the music leveled out, dispensing two glasses on the table. A glass as tall as it was wide, filled with ice and scotch. The other tall and fluted, a blue wine swirling inside. Shenn raised his glass, elegant, but not pompous. He was no Chandrilan statesman. There was no need to stand on ceremony. His pinky was most definitely not out. "Cheers," the old man said, then putting his lips to the glass, took a sip of the sweet, dry liquid. "Lovely," he found himself saying involuntarily.

His mind returned back to the woman across the table from him. "Color me embarrassed. I am an information broker here on Denon. It's my job to know the ins and outs of this place. And I do. But my mind isn't quite the steel trap it once was. And things outside the Corporate Authority's reach change so often, I'm afraid I can't always quite keep up. But your face is a familiar one. Might I have seen you somewhere? I was a soldier once. War perhaps? Or somewhere on the HoloNet? Working for a company that is only just on my periphery at the moment?"

Fiolette Fortan

F
Fiolette watched as the serving droid came and went, listened as the music filled in the silence between them. The droid would return and leave once more only this time he had left the drinks on the table. "Cheers," she replied with a smile and drank. Scotch had a beautiful sensation, and Fiolette rather enjoyed and embrace its unique burn as it went down. "Mhmmm, nothing quite like an excellent drink." She set her cigarra aside and focused on her scotch.
The man who had moments earlier introduced himself as Shenn Rosham spoke. Although she'd have to note the Chandrila Blue for another time, perhaps the Pavanos family wouldn't mind a sample. Or, perhaps she could inquire with one of the Empresses, but for the moment her attention was drawn to Shenn as he went on to ask where he had seen her. There was a tug at the corner of her lips as she smiled, "and I was once a sailor of the void, an officer with one Empire or another. One Sith, First Order, and the latest incarnation of the Sith Empire. I do or did work with a company, I owned a shipwright company for a while." She paused a moment as she reflected on some of the more recent announcements regarding her company, "my daughter runs it now though, so there's not much left for me in the way of work."

Shenn nodded along with Fiolette Raaf as she spoke. He barely remembered the governments he ended up serving as a soldier. The interplanetary powers-that-be changed more frequently than he changed his shirt. He spent over two decades of his life fighting wars that he didn't always even comprehend the reason behind. The turmoil in the galaxy seemed to be never-ending. Shenn had walked away before the senseless violence ate him up inside. But he'd carry the scars for the rest of his life.

Still, that experience had formed him into the man he was. The silver lining to all of his regrets was that he liked who he had become. Had any detail been different, maybe Shenn wouldn't be able to say that.

As the woman across from him referenced her shipwrighting, the mental picture in his mind clicked and Shenn recalled the woman's name. "Ahh, yes. Primo Victorian, correct? An impressive company. And managing to remain independently operated is just as impressive. Too easy to accept funding from some government subsidy and then find yourself bought out and without any creative control." He brought the fluted glass to his mouth once more and sipped at the blue wine, savoring the sweet, dry flavor as the liquid passed his lips. "Good that you can pass such an establishment on to family as well."

Shenn paused a moment to consider that. He didn't really have any family. All the times in his life he could have stopped fighting, find a good man, start a family, Shenn had passed all of that up pursuing his soldiering. That, perhaps, was his biggest regret of all. But then, he had so many people in his life that he trusted. Surely there would be someone to take over the bar once he was ready to retire, should the day ever come. Maybe Daiya would be old enough by then. Or Cichei?

"How does this new time off fare for you then? Are you retired for good or do you still intend on maintaining side projects to keep from going stir-crazy?

Fiolette Fortan

F
"It's where we started, for a long time, our name was synonymous with the First Order," she interjected while recalling that once the company had gone independent - well, independence speaks for itself. Shenn continued to speak and she enjoyed the scotch, and her cigarras. Vices her wife Taeli Raaf Taeli Raaf disagreed with completely, but for the moment they would do the trick. "Mhmmm, yes, it is good that one of my children expressed an interest in the business or at least in business." Fio sort of pressured Ryssa to come and work for her, only now and at the time she wanted to keep an eye on her daughter. In truth, her daughter was keeping an eye on her.
There was a lull in the conversation but the music in the club continued to play on, and Fio ordered another round of scotch. She paid the waiter in advance for anything that Shenn might've wanted. He then asked her a series of questions, and so the Galidraani woman drank and smoked while she dwelled on his questions. The embers at the tip of her cigarra came to life here and again, flickers of orange springing into motion and dying off almost all at once. "I never seem to stay retired," she replied, "it's becoming a bit of a problem."
"My wife works, a lot, and now that I'm retired look after our younger children..." Her voice seemed to fade. Fio searched her mind and heart for the answers, "and I don't know what to do with myself otherwise, before when... I retired, the first time. I had the company to work on, but now my daughter runs the business. My third daughter is off chasing after a dream, a dream that all young Imperials must have at some point in their lives." Although not all young Imperials had tasted or even known of the kind of power that Ariel had come to know through Natasi. Grand Moff Natasi Fortan, Fiolete's niece, her daughters' cousin who led an empire and died when it fell. "So, for the meantime, I've certainly been entertaining side projects. Just to keep myself from leaping back into the fray for yet another Empire that won't appreciate its men and women of the armed forces."
Fiolette's hand went to the glass of scotch, "it's like, once you've been in command - that's where you want to stay, but at some point there comes a time where you must step away." She brought the glass to her lips, "and my time has come." Fiolette downed the scotch and set the now empty glass back down. "As much as it pains me."

If there was one thing Shenn understood of Fiolette Raaf and her plight, he could understand how difficult walking away was. Walking away from a business or a cause or a war was no easy task. There were always things left behind. People. Beliefs. Unfinished projects. When Shenn finally had the courage to walk away from soldiering, he left behind plenty of fellows he knew might not survive the next battle. And the newly retired Colonel wouldn't be there to support them. And whatever his beliefs were, he could no longer fight for them on the front lines. Whether that was the best way to fight he'd never come up with an answer.

Then he walked away from his bar on Trogan, leaving behind a loyal staff and a relaxing home. He gave all that up to find his way back to some excitement, put his years of experience to use as an information broker, start a dangerous business in a dangerous place. Even if he wasn't on the front lines, he had missed the rush and brokering was Shenn's way back in. The proprietor often entertained thoughts of putting his dangerous life to rest and returning to his peaceful life on Trogan. But, like a bad spice addiction, there was just something Shenn couldn't give up about working.

"I might have an offer for a side project if you have the time." One of the best parts about being an information broker was that he often relayed jobs from disparate sources. This recent one was perfect for his conversation partner of the evening. "For some reason, the Direx Board has recently found a new obsession. They're all fabulously wealthy and wish to demonstrate that wealth and the power that comes with the credits by each commissioning a capital ship. Each ship would be unique, tailored specifically to the whims of the individual board member. There's nearly no price ceiling on any of the ships. These will be the personal vessels of the Board and also serve as the lead of their own personal armadas. And as much flash and flair as possible. Sky's the limit sort of thing. Interested?"

Fiolette Fortan

F
Here it comes. Fiolette suppressed the urge to roll her eyes, instead she kept drinking. She listened to Shenn's offer and let the wonderful burn of the liquor in the glass make its way through her body. She relished in the almost immediate relief it had on her poor head. She set the glass down and looked over at Shenn, perhaps for the first time. He had her full attention, an enigmatic expression faded away as she replied. "No."
It was a very simple answer to his request, "money isn't what motivates me, my wife and I make enough that it's never a question these days." She continued to look at him and if her eyes were daggers they would have stabbed him. Her voice was cool, the tone calm as she swirled the scotch in the glass. "I am not interested in building ships for the rich and wealthy, not especially for the money. If perhaps there was a favor that could be of use, sure - maybe and even then it's not my call to make."
"I did tell you that my daughter runs the company, yes? You would be best to send this request directly to her and the board, second I am not nearly so bored that I would shore up my assets on a set of the unnamed wealthy board who hide away in the shadows."
Fiolette finished her drink and set the glass down, the period to end her sentence. She rose up from the table and stretched, "although I appreciate the time you've taken to get to know me, Shenn. It's been ages since I've been able to just sit and have a chat." She paid the tab and grabbed her jacket and grabbed a fresh cigarra. "Next time you and yours want something, it might be wise to go through the appropriate channels. Or, at the very least, do your homework."
She wouldn't give Shenn the opportunity to reply as she made her way through the crowd and headed for the exit.
- FIN -

As Fiolette walked away, Shenn sat back in his seat. In some ways, he really wasn't all that surprised by the response to his proposal, even if the woman's reasoning came from a different place as Shenn's. He was no lover of the plutocracy that the Corporate Authorities had imposed upon Denon and their stellar neighbors. In fact, he went to great lengths to subvert their wishes as much as possible. The Direx Board threw their money around as if credits were no object. And yet, the lower classes only suffered at the hands of the wealthy. Most of those who made less wished that credits played no part in their livelihoods and were only motivated just enough to push forward to protect their livelihood. Credits were a leash for those who could barely afford to pay the rent. The two ends of the wealth spectrum were always at odds with one another.

But in the way that bacteria lived within the human digestive tract to assist in breaking down foodstuffs, so to did Darkwire and the Corporate Authorities share an odd sort of symbiotic relationship. Darkwire went to great lengths to take the CAD down pegs wherever it could. But Darkwire, too, relied on credits to perform their necessary crusade against the powers that be. And while the Direx Board might be the source of many of the evils set upon Denon, they also provided the jobs that Darkwire used to compile their own wealth. Sometimes the best way to fight a system was to do it from the inside out.

In this case, he had heard through the grapevine that the Direx Board was looking to spend a pile of credits on some ships. He wasn't sure if the idea had originated with one member of the Board and the idea had spread or if they had come to the decision as a group, but whatever the case was, they weren't just competitive with other financial entities, they were also competitive with each other. They'd seek out a shipwright through their own means. And of course, that meant Darkwire would catch wind. Pull the right levers, and that meant that Darkwire would control who built the ships, maybe even put in safeguards or components of their own into these cruisers. The ships were going to get built with or without Darkwire intervention. Better for the group to intercede if at all possible.

So Shenn understood not being motivated by credits. Whether the lack of interest was due to having too much or too little really wasn't a concern.

He thought back on what he had said and figured he should have taken a different tack. Instead of credits, he should instead have focused on passion and creativity, the elements that truly inspired the formulation and construction of new projects. That was what motivated him, after all. Maybe Fiolette would have been more interested. Maybe not. Perhaps he would pursue the line of communication through the retiree's daughter, as Fiolette had suggested. Perhaps not. What he knew was, he had to move quickly if he were to find a potential in for Darkwire in this project.

The old man sipped his wine until he had finished the glass. He gave a satisfied sigh. Taking another look around the crowd of people and seeing nothing else of interest, Shenn stood and made his own way to the door and out into the neon-tinted Denon night.

-- //Shenn Rosham --

Fiolette Raaf
This was fun! I'm sure there will be plenty of interactions for us in the future. Looking forward to the next!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom